David King being gay is the worst direction for Behaviour

Options
Anara
Anara Member Posts: 1,297
edited April 2022 in General Discussions

To be clear, Im gay in real life and the collaboration with GaymerX (is that the right name ??) is a disappointement.

David King is nothing representative of the gay community. And doing what JK Rowling did with Dumbledor is just so easy and fake.

I was really excited when Behaviour said they were collaborating with GaymerX to CREATE the first gay character for dbd.

My personal hopes was about a queer character. But I knew Behaviour would not take the risk.

Its more easy to create a gay character who looks straight, but its not representative at all. I know gay with straight look exist, but it doesnt help gay community to be accepted by everyone. It just says its wrong to be queer and its right to be gay but looking straight.

David was the most annoying gay fanfic I saw. And its too easy to recycle this fanfic and make it real.

Even if the character is a gay looking straight I though it would be a new character. I though the collaboration was about creating a whole chapter.

Im just disappointed and I think Behaviour is not supportive as they said they are about queer community.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Anara
    edited April 2022
    Options

"The walking "princess" stereotype"

"David actually a refreshing perspective"

Its exactly what I denounce, its oppressive and almost homophobic to say that.

Thank you to confirmed what I said.

Being feminine is not a stereotype or maybe you are saying Im a stereotype ?

I dont feel represented at all with David I just feel attacked once again. There are 0 representation of feminine guys in video games.

Once again the gay guy is muscle man -_-

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

While you are right that there is certainly not enough representation of feminine guys in games no matter if gay or straight its totally Okey for the muscle man to be gay and he is the first no one said he is the last. Maybe they took the safe route but let's be real taking the safest rout is understandable people are already complaining and if they had made a complete new char people would also complain that he is a toke char. And let's be real it might be a stereotype that the muscle man is gay now but making a very feminine guy would also be a stereotype for many people and you just can't represent every one at once when it's only one char

• Anara
    Options

You just have no arguments and you know Im right. Thank you next.

• Purgatorian
    Purgatorian Member Posts: 1,146
    Options

I'm gay but do not really care if none are gay, some are or all are, they are characters in a game and it doesn't affect me in real life.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

Let's compromise - David gets to remain gay -but- bhvr adds a note to his lore saying he's a power bottom.

• Anara
    Options

Its wrong because it just says (again) that the only representative way of gay people in video games are masculine gays.

Everybody says being feminine gay is a stereotype but its not because we have 0 representations.

• Anara
    edited April 2022
    Options

So you are saying being a power bottom is kinda feminine ? wow pls stop talking 😂

You all are the ones who makes stereotypes, not me.

• GHOSTfaceP3
    GHOSTfaceP3 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

The gay community has so many different types of people. I hope you and everyone be it lesbian or trans can have representation eventually. However this is a major step for us and I'm so happy. 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

• Sepex
    Sepex Member Posts: 1,408
    Options

My gaydar is off. If any male character in this game was gay I was for sure it'd be Felix.

• Anara
    Options
  • AlkaloidssOP
    AlkaloidssOP Member Posts: 254
    Options
  • Anara
    Options

Some but again its for masculine gay guys and we (feminine gays) are again seen as a stereotype 🤡

• venom12784
    venom12784 Member Posts: 666
    Options

Like really when I am playing I’m not thinking about who Nea would be attracted to. They are fictional characters. Hell why don’t we find out which ones are vegans?

• Anara
    Options

I just see that once again feminine gays are marginalized.

• Kiridus
    Kiridus Member Posts: 48
    Options

Gamer, I damn near bought thigh-highs for myself before I started feeling worried that my parents would find out and disown me. Some of my friends found out I am gay because I kept wanting to play the feminine men in the games we played together.

I am the #########' "feminine gay" you are talking about, and I think your point is #########.

• Anara
    Options

Maybe you just dont want the things to changes. For my own Im exhausted of this fake inclusion. I want real queer representation.

• Mozic
    Mozic Member Posts: 601
    Options

I feel like the context is different if the change is arising out of the reveal of new lore being introduced to the game, even if it's with an intentional objective of adding more representation to the game. It's not a retcon to continue to develop the character - "the dumbledore example" is an explicit retcon, where something is declared without having any new material to back it up.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,076
    Options

Let David be that jock from this movie.

• Anara
    Options

Thats what I though, you clearly dont know what queer culture is 😂

You are talking about a subject you dont understand

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,076
    Options

Mikaela is definitely a vegan now. It been confirmed by me.

• Hitari
    Hitari Member Posts: 51
    Options

why didn't they just make the next survivor gay.... why do they have to take a character which has been part of the game and lore for 5 years and suddenly make them homosexual... i think thats what's bothering people the most

• fernandosilveirasc
    fernandosilveirasc Member Posts: 37
    Options

Can we say dead hard is a gay perk now, or is that offensive?

• Anara
    edited April 2022
    Options

Mikaela is vegan, Nea is a lesbian and Yun Jin is a drag queen. 💅

• Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454
    Options

That's like saying you're bothered your friend you've known for 5 years has come out as gay.

Honestly, I initially didn't like them making an existing character LGBT, but now I came to like it more than a new one. It's even cooler because it feels like a coming out, you know? David's always been gay, but we only learn it now.

• Mozic
    Mozic Member Posts: 601
    Options

There's nothing stopping them from also making the next survivor gay. And also going back and making any number of existing survivors gay. Why act like this is a one and done thing?

• Anara
    Options

Exactly what you think, lets continue to marginalized queer people and only encourage LGBT people that everybody like ! Dont take risk and dont create a male character looking too feminine, gross 🤮

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,423
    Options

I understand where you are coming from, but I think perhaps you aren't really making your point come across correctly. This is the part where I would say, it's more about the message and less about the fitting the "stereotype". They obviously cannot fit every single type of LGBTQIA+ characteristic into one single character.

Does this mean that they aren't really supportive? Absolutely not. Does this mean that femininity being displayed as part of a character's characteristic have no place? Absolutely not. It just means that maybe this is not the character that would allow them to fit the characteristics that you want to see.

They did say he is the first step toward more representation. So I wouldn't count out the idea that perhaps a character with more effeminate characteristics might show up in the future.

• Kiridus
    Options

"Don't create a male character looking too feminine"

I am sorry, but have you seen Trickster before? Cuz, if you think BHVR is somehow scared of making feminine men, I think you either never saw how Trickster dresses, or are just really dumb.

This is not even mentioning the softer outfits characters like Jake, Jeff, Adam and Jonah have, mind you -- BHVR is definitely not scared of making men who aren't buff broskis who are scared at the idea of being womanly.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

Now bhvr's actions are actively marginalising queer people? Your thought processes are bizarre

• Kiridus
    Options

Sorry, I saw this only after I responded to Anara, but I appreciate your understanding!

• Anara
    Options

Thank you to take my point seriously, and responded to me in a kind way.

I understand what you mean but Im just sick of feminine gays being marginalized, there are only space for masculine gays in video games.

Everytime a male character is feminine the devs are always "but he is not gay"

Why is it so difficult to make a gay queer character in video games ???

• AbsolutGrndZer0
    AbsolutGrndZer0 Member Posts: 1,269
    edited April 2022
    Options

As it would be mentioning other games I can't be specific, but another game I play has a VERY feminine looking guy, in fact I thought the character WAS female until I read his lore. Now, the game in question isn't one to go into factors of sexuality so I can't say if he is gay or not, Plus, have you played a Japanese Roleplaying Game? Those are FULL of feminine men, some of which are gay, some of which are not.

• Kiridus
    Options

I think you have simply not been looking at the right games -- probably ones made by developers from countries where femininity amongst men aren't as accepted, because there are plenty of games with characters who are definitely feminine, and have been confirmed as at least bisexual by their devs -- Monster Prom & Camp come to mind.

• Anara
    Options

Yes I know Japan is more open than Europeans and Americans about that.

• Malkhrim
    Malkhrim Member Posts: 935
    Options

There is no similarity between this and what J.K. Rowling did to Dumbledore.

Rowling was criticized because she made a full saga without any hint of homossexuality in any character whatsoever and then, after the books where all finished, she just randomly said one of the most important characters "is gay" when responding to a fan, while that wasn't even planned to go into any book, it was just a random comment from the author from a book that never hinted that... and she acted as if it was planned all along.

DBD has many characters with no confirmed sexual orientation, and sometimes the lore stablishes relationships they had that weren't known before. Right now is releasing a new Tome about David, that will probably tell something about his sexuality and develop him as a gay character. Rowling didn't do that until Warner started a new cinematic trilogy years later. They are not the same at all.

This discussion has been closed.