Davids Sexuality

Options
KeiOrtem
KeiOrtem Member Posts: 252
edited April 2022 in General Discussions

So this may be a bit long but after reading that people feel that its forced/wasnt the right character/he has a ex thats a woman I feel like it should be talked about. I should not that these are all my personal opinions and it is kinda long so feel free to skip if you dont want to read.

1) "Making David King Gay Feels Forced"/"He had an ex that was a woman"

On the surface level, perhaps it may seemed forced but if you dig deeper beyond just scratching the surface, you will see that it truly does not feel like that. From the moment that we are born we are constantly learning about ourselves. We dont just come out of the womb and announce that we are gay, straight, bi, etc. These things take time to learn and sometimes you may never learn these things about yourselves(especially depending on how your parents raised you)

The fact that people feel that David having a girlfriend in the past and now coming out as gay is considered a retcon in lore really dont take into account(at least to me anyway) that maybe this is before he learned more enough about himself/finding out that he was gay. We live our lives through learning, experimenting, and experiencs; people change emotionally, physically, and mentally over time so the fact that people see this as a retcon doesnt make much sense to me.

2) "This was not the right character to choose to make gay"

Why does this character not feel like that? I see that people say that "they didnt get gay vibes from David Kink," my answer to that is, why do you mean that someone gives off gay vibes? Just like anyone else, gay men come in many shapes, sizes, personalities and more. Its not just someone with a fruity drink and saying "yaas queen" These could be considered harmful stereotypes but to be honest theres a lot of of us out there that are like that. I have gay friends that you wouldnt know are gay just by looking at them but thats because they arent into the typical things that some people would deem "gay behavior" Like personally I dont find drag shows fun to watch(im more of a criminal minds kind of gay myself) and some of my friends are appear as masuline as could be love watching those types of things. It all depends on peoples personal taste.

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

As soon as I saw the news I new there would be a Hugh fuzz. I think it's awesome we got the first confirmt character and to be honest no matter what character they pick people would complain that there aren't gay vibes from them (what ever that means) and if they did a brand new char to be the first gay every body would complain that it's a toke character so you can't make them happy :/

On another note I would love them to make a Charakter that "gives gay vibes" probably an male that is very feminine in its style and then two month later make a time that's reveals he is like barney Stinson and picks up girls on the fly just to mess with the people making fun of him

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,407
    Options

...Trickster?

(I have to admit that I have no idea who Barney Stinson is)

• xBlitzAce1989x
    xBlitzAce1989x Member Posts: 336
    Options

Trickster definitely has some gay vibes. Ace Visconti has gaydar going off in my head.

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

How I met your mother great show basicly a very charming guy that only wants one thing from woman and is very good at it.

Yes like trickster that certainly fits very well. Thats something I do myself I am a straight man I'm married and have a kid but I am very feminine I like to wear stuff that typically is woman stuff but I don't label genders on cloth and since I'm more from a more rural area from a small village I get strange looks often

• Lochnload_exe
    Lochnload_exe Member Posts: 1,360
    Options

I just think the reveal was bad and it makes BHVR look like they just did it for brownie points and to stop people asking about an eventual rep character. If the reveal happened naturally through his lore and the tome, and people were allowed to find it out themselves, it would have been way less controversial imo. Still controversial, but less so.

All in all, personally I was happier with their original mindset of leaving every character's sexuality up to one's own interpretation, but representation is welcome and always good(even if it appears lazy)

• NerfedFreddy
    NerfedFreddy Member Posts: 394
    Options

Quite ironic because lgbt always uses david as an example of straight character because of his "lore" and now "lore doesn't matter much (long explanation why) and he can be gay" btw

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,459
    Options

That's very long time ago :D

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,179
    Options

I think I've heard more david x dwight than what ever it is your making up.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,651
    Options

Actually in a lot of the posts we use him as an example of a straight canon relationship (not character) and while it's entirely possible he could be bi, or gay, having confirmation of a homosexual relationship (not character) to equal things out would've been nice, but good way to completely misinterpret our arguments!

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599
    Options

It's funny you mention Overwatch when this situation is the same copy/paste "We've made one of our characters gay to shut up the masses" that Overwatch did.

It's less of just having a gay character, and more of having an LGBT+ character that you connect with from their initial lore instead of it being thrown in after.

It's the whole throwing in after the fact that makes it appear forced. After the outrage, after the demands, and after the authenticity. It's also the same situation copy/pasted from many other game companies. "We need a gay character" "This character is liked by the gays" "This character is now gay". Instead of connecting with your LGBT+ community, researching their past, what they had to deal with, what they were feeling, and the characters they connect and empathize with to use as references, etc. Basically ignoring all the work and research into good character creation.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

I mean, the article linked in the other thread mentioned the research that they did on the subject, so idk.

• Kurri
    edited April 2022
    Options

Yeah their whole "We did research, because we said we did, please believe us" article. Which in the article it seems their research reached the limits of a proactive reddit forum, and no further. Literally you can change every word of Behavior to Blizzard, and every word of David to Tracer and you get the same thing that happened in Overwatch.

Next they will be randomly mentioning Yui's gay with an image, because of their "research". (Popular character liked by the LGBT+ community, same thing happened with Soldier 76 in Overwatch).

Though I have no place to argue, by technicalities it means BHVR met their promise, and this represents some people I am sure. It appears to be more of a marketing direction which is what is disappointing to see. I had expected professional writing and story-telling for a whole new character that many can relate to, but at the same time be it's own story (which makes it more relatable).

Edit: Though they did mention in the article they plan to BRING more LGBTQ+ characters to the game, so fingers crossed, we might get a more relatable LGBTQ+ character. I'm not giving up hope.

• TAG
    Options

I mean, do you have a reason to doubt them beyond pessimism?

• Kurri
    Options

Do you have reason to believe them beyond them just saying they did?

• TAG
    Options
  • Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843
    Options

They should have just put it in the tome for people to figure out through the lore instead of announcing it, that way it would feel more natural and not make it seem forced

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,569
    Options

Rewriting an established characters lore feels very...idk. I don't think forced is the right word.

I could change my mind depending on how BHVR continues but it feels like they're looking for any good will they can get right now and that puts a bad taste in my mouth.

• MetaBuildSurvivor
    MetaBuildSurvivor Member Posts: 61
    Options

Quite ironic that red herring is part of the shrine. :)

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options
  • AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

I'm just waiting to read the lore. If it's well written, I'm happy. If it isn't, that'll suck, but it's the first at bat, they've got time to work on what doesn't get over.

• Pulsar
    Options
  • GoodBoyKaru
    Options

the butchered site i read it on made the formatting a nightmare but it was fairly standard for most of it. didn't explicitly go "DAVID KING IS GAY GAY HOMOSEXUAL GAY" but it was definitely there. then eventually we shall reach the final 2 sentences and i broke and now feel hollow inside.

imo it's well written.

• Sepex
    Sepex Member Posts: 1,408
    Options
  • Chynonm
    Chynonm Member Posts: 4
    Options

My complaint about this whole situation isn't that David is now gay, it's that we was turned gay just to pander to LGBBQWHATEVER9++, the twitter implies

1º BHV admitting there were no BBQW chars in DBD.

2º BHV due to 1º decided to turn a character gay.

This whole situation wouldn't have disturbed me if this announcement never existed and we just had the lore, or if it just came out and said that David is gay it just had never came up, but having it completelly just worded as "ohh yeah we need more representation so we gay-beamed david" is just insulting for everybody and comes off as pandering.

Character progression is a thing, but this is not that and is in fact the opposite, randomly swapping a characters sexuality as if it were just a level you could pull because for you BHV it is, but irl it's not and the how the message inplies you just did is insulting.

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

i dont get how he was possibly "turned" gay when he wasnt explicitly said straight to begin with

nor do i get how creating a new character would be more impactful, at all.

representation is representation. if it was a new character it'd be "ugh tokenism". there was no good option.

i've read the accompanying story and i love it. i love this move. i wish it wasnt shouted about on twitter and people could discover it by themselves through the lore (like with saati in paladins, people found it out through her in-game voice lines to other champions before it was confirmed by a dev) but i digress- i am happy with the outcome. very happy.

and now it is time to convert the rest see what else we get

• Pulsar
    Options

I haven't seen it on the Forums but I did see a few instances of some concerning behavior on Reddit.

Mostly it was of people who professed to be a part of the LGBTQ community saying they didn't like it and other people accusing them of lying about being LGBTQ, simply because they didn't like the change.

I also don't know if I'm allowed to state my opinion on how BHVR handeled this but I've got some red flags from it.

• TransverseCaster
    TransverseCaster Member Posts: 543
    Options

How to make horror horrible.

• Pulsar
    Options

Yeah, that would be what I'm talking about.

Maybe I'm being too hard on BHVR and maybe I should be giving them the benefit of the doubt, but they've burned through pretty much all the goodwill I'm willing to extend to them as a company in the last year.

Something about them announcing it like that really rubs me the wrong way, idk why.

• Pulsar
    Options

I dunno if I quite agree with that rather extreme interpretation, but I can't quite put my finger on why their announcement rubs me the wrong way.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,158
    Options

I understand you can't quite figure out why, could it be any of these?

Is it BHVRs track record? The state of the game? The communities reaction? How long it took them, the amount of effort they put in?

Any of these things?

I'm genuinely curious because I think I get a similar feeling, the actual changes and the content is fine there's no issues there.

• Barbarossa2020
    Barbarossa2020 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options

I think his lore wouldn't want to him to come out in such a dramatic fashion. I would think he would'nt advertise what he does very openly, unless confronted about it most likely in a pub. Then it would account to "why yes i am gay" smack. I doubt we;'d see David dressing as ugly bearded drag queen on twitch or riding a unicorn float in the Sydney mardi gra.

For me i don't mind what people do in their bedrooms as long as its consensual.

My issue with this is if i tunnel that shirtless David out of the game, (because i hate shirtless inequality) am i going to be branded something.

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

1) good news, that's not what his lore does. At all

2) no you won't this conversation has been had for over a year and there's been no evidence of people who weren't intentionally tunneling for the pride flag being banned.

• Pulsar
    Options

Definitely not the state of the game.

Probably the rest though, in varying degrees.

• Barbarossa2020
    Barbarossa2020 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
This discussion has been closed.