Boons are a Cylinder

Giraki
Giraki Member Posts: 12

I don't know how common this knowledge is, but boons aura, their area of effect, is a cylinder and not a sphere. A cylinder with seemingly infinite verticality to it, the height doesn't seem to have a range.

https://youtu.be/NVT0n4f8Eh0

I think a BHVR team member once said it was a sphere, but I'm not entirely sure about that, I just thought I heard that at one point. I'm not sure if this is intended or not either.

Comments

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,722

It is a cylinder with unlimited vertical range and I think that’s one of the biggest problems with them right now.

• Giraki

Honestly? I don't think it's the biggest deal. Does it make them hell on earth on maps like RPD? Yes. But not many other maps have such verticality to them that it matters so much. Eyrie comes to mind too I suppose. I just think its interesting and another thing to add to the LONG LONG list that is reasons to hate boons.

On maps with a little bit of verticality to them all it does is allow survivors to heal 1-2 meters further away from the boon than they would be able to otherwise, which aside from very niche scenarios where it barely clips the corner of a room it doesn't end up mattering in the long run. Now, the fact that they're vertical at ALL is an issue in my opinion, not necessarily the WAY that they interact with verticality.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,236
    edited April 2022

This is the same for all area effects; terror radius, etc.

All should be spherical to make multi-layered maps more fair.

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

Pretty much everything in the game has infinite vertical distance. Height isn't a big deal in this game so nothing really would have a reason not to have an infinite height.

• Giraki

Not everything has infinite vertical height. Very specifically the Terror Radius does not. The Terror radius is a sphere with a radius of whatever size your Terror Radius is as a result of your base Terror Radius and any modifiers from addons/perks/power. It seems pretty much EVERYTHING in the game that lists a range actually has a sphere around it with a radius of the stated range EXCEPT boons. Like I said it only matters in very niche scenarios like RPD where height actually matters, but it is something to keep in mind.

You can tell that the TR does not have infinite vertical height because the Killer with a TR of 24m was sitting as close to the totem as possible, and I was actually closer to the Killer than the Boon when I was in the basement in the video.