Why shouldn't a killer tunnel?

13»

Comments

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,004

But you see, this depends on everyone agreeing with your definition of "fair", which sounds like "Killer has to play suboptimally" so I suspect you're not going to get much agreement on that.

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,833

Tunneling is, without a doubt, being efficient. Survivors doubling up on gens is being efficient. I don't disagree that losing 2 gens by time you get your first hook is terrible, but instead of a broad change to generator repair times in general, it'd be better to change the cooperative repair times.

The time it takes for two survivors to repair a gen should be more like 60 seconds, with three bringing it down to 47 seconds, and four bringing it down to 43 seconds. This way it would still be faster to repair a gen with another survivor but you'd have time to push them off the gen after getting a hook.

• Princeharlequinhq
    Princeharlequinhq Member Posts: 74

The problem is, nobody wants to sit on gens longer than they have to. Extending gen times is not the answer. Its already a boring mechanic. I really wish they would just come up with something new for survivors to do to escape. Thats one of the few things I think F13 did better than DBD is they made the finding the parts and fixing the car and all of that just much more interactive and fun.

• Kaitsja

I agree with that, which is why the time to repair a gen solo would still take 80 seconds. The cooperative repair time has too much of a jump. With two survivors and prove thyself, a gen takes 40 seconds to repair which is the average length of a chase.

• xfireturtlex
    xfireturtlex Member Posts: 419

Havent read this whole thread, so somebody mighta said it already. The biggest reason not to tunnel is BP. You end up with a lot more BP if you spread the love. Nobody really ever seems to mention that. Ive seen plenty of hardcore tunnelers "win" a match with 15k BP. I try my best to play in a "fair/fun" way n pretty consistantly walk away with 25-32k BP even if some survivors escape. Same is true on survivor side. Take some chases, eat a hook, help your teamates n youll get more BP in the end. Tunneling n gen rushing both suck cuz nobody gets as many BP as they could. Idk, maybe i just have a different definition of winning. (The games are more enjoyable too)

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756

Exactly since we the players can't relax and play the game for fun (Stop taking it so seriously like a job) players have play in this horrible way.

I have seen a lot of ideas on here, but the problem or the reason why nothing has been done is too many will ######### and complain.

DEVs do need to take the ideas that people have put out there and use them to make the game fun to play.

There's no leaderboards

There's no stats

There's nothing to say you're the best of the best

But everyone has to play and act like there is

I don't take this as a competitive game I don't know why others do there's nothing to show for it, but their egos I guess.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

For the same reasons that survivors should only complete one gen at a time before starting the next one… none.

• LinkToReality
    LinkToReality Member Posts: 115

"Is it tunneling if you wait out BT to down the freshly unhooked survivor? Absolutely!"

Only if you also pick them back up and keep hooking them. Downing a freshly unhooked survivor to trigger altruism from the team so you can get someone else down and people off gens is just tactical gameplay. The more time survivors spend off of gens the better it is for the killer.

That said, if no one else comes around to take aggro off them or to get them up it would be rude to leave them slugged too. Though I personally would likely do so and go pressure gens while someone get them back on their feet, again, because that means that survivor had to be off of gens during that time.

• Knytrix
    Knytrix Member Posts: 59

There is always someone on each team that is terrible at hiding from the killer so most the time they say tunneling when they are just bad at not getting caught.

• Kaitsja

I mean, it seems a bit odd for a killer to go out of their way to wait out the BT just to slug the survivor. I do understand just slugging a freshly unhooked survivor though, since I do that whenever I play killer.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

If they care about survivor fun. That is the only reason not to. Oh, well, I guess if you have low self esteem and let other people influence your opinion. It is like those Hillbilly one tricks who refuse to run Bamboozle. Get lost in the sauce and believe they are inferior for using the perk. That is less a reason, and more a consequence, but still.

• Sakurra
    Sakurra Member Posts: 1,046
    edited May 2022

I compare tunneling with bodyblocking. If I'm not tunneling don't bodyblock me for no reason. Mind your own business doing gens. I prefer to be genrushed than stopped from getting my prey. As survivor, I never bodyblock if the killer is not a tunneler. I give him or her some respect for playing this game in hard mode and because he or she was a nice person. I always respect a non camper/tunneler and survivors that mind their business when I'm chasing someone else.

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274

To play the game effectively as a killer, you must evenly distribute your attention across the 4 survivors.

At times, some survivors will require a bit more attention than others - this is called focus.

When a survivor has become a priority target for the killer, the killer can lean their focus towards them. Likewise, when a survivor has proven that they are either not a threat, or simply too much of an investment to catch - they lose focus.

To play effectively as a killer, you should be very careful about who you commit your focus to and how evenly you spread your precious pressure.

Tunneling, however, is the complete disregard of 3/4 of your players.

When you focus 100% on one survivor instead of evenly spreading your pressure - this is having tunnel vision.

I'm not talking about a chase that trails on for more than 45 seconds, I'm talking about campers who relentlessly chase down and try to kill survivors 1 by 1 instead of spreading the attention.

Knowing this, there are 4 typical counterarguments against tunneling:

Sportsmanship - Someone unhooks a survivor right in front of your face, they don't have BT. Do you smack the helpless person and put them back on the hook? You totally can - the survivors made a complete fumble and delivered a kill into your hands. However, in the spirit of good-fun, it's more than agreeable to let the victim of the hook-bomb go and chase after the teammate that made the critical mistake. There's nothing stopping you from going in for the kill on the weakened and misplaced survivor as they flee from the hook - but it's good sport to let them run to catch them later. At the end of the day, we're all playing to have fun, just because someone gives you an inch doesn't mean you have to take it if it spoils the fun for someone else. This isn't mandatory, but the Entity feeds on hope, it's best to give some every now and again.

Entertainment - We all want to have fun. Not only is tunneling pretty unfun overall, as it has very limited engagement, but it's also incredibly drab for survivor players too. One survivor player is rendered helpless - the target of unbridled ire from the killer - while their allies watch helplessly from the sidelines and hold down M1 to repair. It's a snoozefest. Tunneling survivors is just not very fun for anyone involved, least of all for the other survivors who are made to have nothing better to do. It's one thing to be nice/mean, but it's another choice to be engaging/boring to everyone else in the game. The question, at this particular point, is - why play the game the most unfun way imaginable? Even if it's instance based, why tunnel a survivor off of the hook when you could be doing much more fun things with the match other than that? Not interacting with the majority of players is boring - even for the Entity.

Strategy - It's almost never a good idea to tunnel in the long run. While certain survivors can paint a target on their back to become a priority to focus, or make a blunder that you cannot go without punishing - this is fair enough. However, if you're chasing an injured person off the hook, while other healthy survivors complete objectives, you are failing to mitigate their success. Two hypothetical situations: You chase/hook one survivor and the other 3 were working on generators - one comes for the save. 50% of the survivors are working on generators at this point, and only one is unhealthy. You can either: leave the hook for the save and chase another survivor off of their generator, lowering their generator efficiency to 25% and forcing the team to spend more time healing AWAY from gens - or you can proxy camp and focus on the unhooked survivor afresh. At that point, survivors are working just as fast as before - perhaps even more so now that they realize the strategy at play, which may increase their generator efficiency to 75%. Without injuring survivors, they have nothing to pull them off of generators or distracting them. Tunneling is a very, very poor strategy that has many opportunities to backfire. By spreading your attention across multiple survivors, injuring them and forcing them away from objectives - you can play the long game and walk away with more BP, more kills, and more 'wins' than before. The Entity wants to feast on the despair of your prey, it is a shame not to strike fear into their hearts.

Effectiveness - It's no secret that tunneling is questionable in effect. Many survivors run perks that counteract tunneling and provide a useful rebuttal to would-be tunnelers. Even in their absence, survivors have a great amount of time to complete their objectives so long as you turn a blind eye to one or two players altogether. By Tunneling, you're kneecapping your potential BP yield, and wasting a lot of your time - in game and in real life. It's just not a prudent way to spend your day, or time in match. If you want BP, don't tunnel. The Entity feeds on Hope, Despair, and the interaction between survivor and killer - if you fail at these, the Entity is far more likely to be displeased.

If you Tunnel, you're not playing for BP, you're not playing to win, you're not playing for fun, and you're not playing for sport.

If you're tunneling, why bother playing the game at all?

That being said, play the game - and tunnel not.

• Exorcist
    Exorcist Member Posts: 6

You forget team with 3!!! flashlight, that ultra-fun to try to hook at least one of them.... (Of course you can use perk, but killer can use only 4 perks, and most of my builds can't hold this perk...)

• LazyClown
    LazyClown Member Posts: 171

Its the only way to play these days, survivors still complain about it even though they can counter a killers retaliation after 3 gens popping at the start. If they removed ds this game would actually be balanced because of the long hook timers. But of course survivors cry to the daddy devs, killers become milk servers and survivors became the milk drinker. Devs provided the milk. Lol