We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

Does any dev play killer even at medium level?

1. The Boil Over buff which gave 25% wiggle progress

2. COH which gave 100% faster healing

3. Maps like "the game" still exists

The devs looked at these 3 things and said "yeah this is fine, let's implement it" makes me question that does any dev play killer even at medium level? Leave alone at top level. If they played killer even for 50 hours they'd know how busted these things were, how did it ever make it to the game? (These are JUST 3 things i mentioned btw)

Comments

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,565

They don't need to in order to be good developers, which is true for every dev team.

Whatever flaws lead to things like CoH or the original-buff Boil Over, it's not because the devs aren't particularly skilled at their own game.

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224

Imagine a world where they were all very good at the game and understood it like the fans.

• Mdawgu
    Mdawgu Member Posts: 408

Devs are still rank 21 somehow even after mmr

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

Just look at some killer add ons and you'll get your answer.

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274

Not making excuses, but the truth is - people in the development side of things are scarcely ever the people on the consuming side of them.

It's a lot different for things where creativity and production are intertwined and massively individual.

I.E.

Writers that love to write often like to read too | Artists who love to draw also love to view the art of others. | Musicians often listen to a lot of music as well.

Pretty standard, however:

Directors and producers of film are not always watching movies for enjoyment | Actors often are busy acting and often are not massive movie buffs themselves | Cinematographers don't always watch tons of films, as they are often busy with their own.

Likewise:

Those who enjoy coding for a living don't always play games | Art directors don't always play their games | Managers, Directors, and Producers often do not sample their own product at the same level as avid consumers.

It's not so much ignorance - it's just part of the process. Producers are tragically blind to the forefront of their own creation - which is a conscious concern for any and all that work to make an end product.

You're making a forest, and the user sees the tree. It's hard to know how good or bad that tree is going to be when your view is a lot less specific in context.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,896

I imagine a large majority of the devs aren't that good at the game

But then again pretty sure none of the devs stream the game anymore

• Lx_malice
    Lx_malice Member Posts: 1,417

McLean was pretty decent. He's obviously gone now though.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

You really like to harp on about NOED. thing is i only saw it once while doing the challenges at a level where killers should be using it.

Dead hard though? usually 3/4 to 4/4 using it.

• Carrow
    Carrow Member Posts: 500

What I find to be particularly depressing is that they don't even have to. They have an amazing community of Fog Whisperers, many of whom are very good at the game and I'm sure they would be perfectly happy to give valuable feedback that would make the game significantly better. They just simply don't care.

• Leatherface1990
    Leatherface1990 Member Posts: 718

I think they play Fortnite because it's mostly about CRANKING out SKINS.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

I wouldnt be playing game I work on every day. I am actually surprised some of them are playing it.

• Yankus
    Yankus Member Posts: 638

There's videos of them getting bullied. They honestly look like they're playing their first game ever in some of the videos. I don't even think they watch DBD gameplay.

• Chusan
    Chusan Member Posts: 137

Have a sample. Do you really think they play their own game?

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

If devs were playing this game, or even having competent playtester, this game wouldn't have so much of questionable and frustrating game design.

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024

I like that argument becuz u can lie to fools with it

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

Tbf in the same breath:

• Undying on launch
    • Blights add-ons only getting buffs and no nerfs
    • Giving Nurse a 3rd blink add-on again

The devs do play both sides at high level. Maybe not every dev but at least a few do. I don't agree with everything they do but they aren't favouring one side.

• Basement_Bubba420
    Basement_Bubba420 Member Posts: 397

Almo plays facecamp Bubba so that's pretty cool

• Icaurs
    Icaurs Member Posts: 542
    edited May 2022

Yes, they range in terms of skill but some play killer at a fairly high level.

1. The boil over buff was more of an oversight on I believe 2 maps. The vast majority of maps, have a hook on the second floor, and those that don't usually have one fairly close. Instead of changing the perk, they fixed these few examples, and now boil over is rarely used again, unless combined in a team or with sabatour.
    2. COH, went through many variants and was nerfed each time. Ultimately I think COH is just bad design in general, as giving all survivors self care, removes their reliance on teammates. However this is far from a survivor based issue (looks at Hex: Undying).
    3. Again the same could be said for survivors (looks at Midwitch). Some maps are just poorly designed. Indoor maps just don't work, same as maps with multiple levels. Its extremely hard to make balanced, but I would say most maps are fine the way they are now.

In all DBD is a fairly balanced game, in the sense that it is unbalanced for both sides. Anytime you say "How is Dead Hard balanced." Players respond with "How is Corupted intervention balanced?" How is Nurse balanced? How is corupt, Ruin, pain resonance, deadlock balanced? There are plenty of things on both sides that are way to powerful, but they feel less powerful, because they have other overpowered things to compare them too. The devs have plenty of issues, but DBD is more balanced now then it has ever been. Killers are stronger now then they have been in any point in DBD's history and its because of the devs.

• Killing_Time
    Killing_Time Member Posts: 894

Devs are noobs at the game lol.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

I don't think devs need to play that much of their own game personally

But what would be nice is if one of them could make a sort of tutorial:

-Play an m1 killer on meat plant

-Opposing survivor team don't have to be particularly good, or on comms, just pre-drop pallets in chase, work on gens when not in chase

-To be generous only 2-3 of the survivors need to have dead hard

and throughout this they can demonstrate + explain the right plays from a design/balance perspective

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,614

They don't need to play the game but at least they should watch Fog Whisperers' streams or other popular streamers, when they see a guy with 5000-10000 hours losing in Meat Plant with an M1 killer due the huge amount of safe pallets maybe they start to wonder what's happening with that map.

• PerfectlyPink
    PerfectlyPink Member Posts: 435

Have you people never played a different game in your life?

• Diablitokawaii
    Diablitokawaii Member Posts: 38

Yes i play blindfolded

• Sumnox
    Sumnox Member Posts: 605

Why do you assume they play survivors? They've been nerfing survivors constantly for 6 years now, with the only exception of the release of a few strong perks, that they proceeded to nerf afterwards anyway.

They don't play the game.

• Ula
    Ula Member Posts: 276

So true ahah, killers would be flying across the map and survivors would transform into objects... wait, that's propnight

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

Yeah... everything started off broken for survivors, you can not tell me old MoM was balanced, or old COH, or old DS, the problem is they start out busted, then they balance it, then people think it's a nerf when it's now in a good spot (except new MoM I guess...kinda butchered that one)