Deathslinger should be the first gay killer

Comments

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,900
    edited May 2022

First off I never said it was natural to assume. Second to suspect based on dress sense doesn't make it homophobic. Homophobic means you have a prejudice or dislike against gay people.

What kind of backward logic you are using to connect a suspicion based on dress sense to disliking gay people I don't know. If anything you're just projecting your own biases here.

• Viskod
    Viskod Member Posts: 854

My own biases? I'm gay.

Homophobic means more than going "grrr I hate them gays, arg". You're reducing people to a stereotype based on appearance. "Gay people dress like X, Straight people dress like Y". That's bad. "Look at how that dude dresses, he's totally gay"

Also like, Ji Woon Hak is South Korean. I guess you're not familiar with the K-pop J-pop scene but I've seen enough of it from friends to know that flamboyance comes with the industry regardless. So its also a touch of cultural ignorance.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

Isn’t it a predjudice if you assume someone is gay just based on what clothes they were etc?

i mean, it obviously isn’t on the same level as direct hatred or aversion but still..

• Dwight_Fairfield

Well at least you're more level headed about discussing this.

You say you wear jewelry and women's clothing. Fair enough. But it wouldn't make anyone a bad person or homophobic if they saw that and thought maybe you were gay. If they thought anything derogatory about you for it then it would.

Nobody is putting any pre conceived labels. It's speculation on possibilities. I am not saying in my mind Trickster is definitely gay because of how he dresses.

I'm not sure what you mean by don't think about sexuality if you don't want to engage with them. We're talking about fictional characters here. We're never going to engage with them.

• Dwight_Fairfield

I'm talking about your own biases against people just because they think someone might be gay based on dress sense means they are automatically homophobic. That's stupid and illogical. I can only assume you're used to seeing people hate on gays for that kind of dress sense.

I am well aware of the K-pop scene too. Even if I had not been you'd have to be living under a rock not to come to know about it after the million and one accusations thrown at Bhvr for trying to appease the K-pop fans when Trickster was released.

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334

I think for that last bit they mean if you're going to label in your head someone's sexuality based on how they dress, even if they are a fictional character, it's not odd to assume that you would also do that to people in the real world.

• Dwight_Fairfield

Yes it is. But I am not assuming he's gay. I said suspect he might be. I'm not definitively labeling him in my mind as gay because of it.

I haven't seen anyone here do that.

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,774

I don't want to say every one that thinks someone else is gay because he isn't rocking a traditional manly fit I think we should just get rid of these pictures in our heads if you know what I mean. So you can look and wear what ever you like and people don't assume you to be anything. I know that this is normal I just thing it would hurt to abandon it.

To be fair I may stretched that topic over only talking about just Trickster. I basicly meant you Shoulnd think about what sexuality someone has on how he looks if it in the end doesn't matter to you because you woulnd engage with them either way.

Sorry English isn't my fist language I may struggle to make clear what I want to say

• Mooks

I am not calling you out on this as you really seem to not do this with malicious intend at all.

but just suspecting someone’s sexuality based on their clothes can actually be homophobic and make it uncomfortable for the person being suspected. I think I can’t explain it very good but… just words or looks based on such a suspicion can hurt and it’s pretty much falsely generalizing even if it might be true in many cases.

• Dwight_Fairfield

I understand where you're coming from and I appreciate you being respectful and level headed about it.

I get what you mean now regarding the engaging with someone comment. I don't disagree with you.

This is where there was crossed wires. This is a speculation thread. Not a defining who is gay thread. A few of us mentioned Trickster as a possibility, emphasis on possibility, because of his dress sense. Nobody is looking at him and saying that's a gay man. But suddenly words like homophobic and evil were thrown for no reason.

Btw I'd never guess English isn't your first language. It's excellent.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    edited May 2022

I can't wrap my head around suspecting someone's sexuality based on dress sense being homophobic unless said person was doing it in a derogatory way because that's what homophobia is. A dislike of gay people.

Words and looks hurting someone I can understand if it's harsh or insensitive words or some kind of nasty or mocking look. But here I don't think anyone has used any harsh words. Unless I have missed an insensitive post somewhere.

If someone was just naturally offended by someone making a judgement based on their dress sense I can understand that too. But again nobody here is doing that. Nobody has judged Trickster as gay. We're just speculating. This whole thread is speculation. Only an ignorant person defines people based on appearance alone.

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869

Erh. Someone should probably lock this thread soon. Like, what was the topic again?

• Mooks

The thing is… it is already insensitive to speculate on a persons sexuality based on their clothing/fashion choice. And especially in Tricksters case who is a KPop star. Of course it seems silly if you only think about the Trickster as he is a fictional character and doesn’t have feelings. But you are kinda making assumptions/speculations on real people who dress similar as well.

instead of basing the sexuality on their choice of clothes maybe use their actual backstory/relationships or say what sexuality you would like them to have to make a good representation and not just to conform to stereotypes present.

Trickster may be gay or not. We don’t know that. We do know that he isn’t gay just because he is a flamboyant KPop star.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

Or...he can just stab people? I really don't think killers care about sexuality, they just feel anger, and will kill anyone who gets in the way

• Mooks

lol sorry for derailing the thread. But i just can’t stand those ‚I am not homophobic but let me make homophobic statements and don’t you dare label me‘ crowd.

Deathslinger would at least not be your stereotypical gay villain so I guess if part of his future tome story’s reveal him as gay then it wouldn’t feel harmful. But they should definitely make it the way they did for David and tell a story that makes sense without just slapping on a label

• Basement_Bubba420
    Basement_Bubba420 Member Posts: 397

That's survivor centric. The surv-normative mentality that players have needs to be reconsidered.

• Mooks

Some killers remain more human than others.

also we are mostly talking about the backstorys for characters anyway before the characters got corrupted by the Entity or being trapped in the fog..

• Chaos999

Oh right!, yes that was indeed the topic.

Honestly though what's with all these people pooping on every thread and turning it into witch hunt. Seriously, this is why we can't have nice things.

Back to topic, we already got a male homosexual character, so for representation sake, I think it would be better to have female lesbian and I wouldn't mind it being a killer.

Nurse is taken, so that leaves adiris, Rin and bunny momma.

From the trio I would prefer Rin. Lots people already ship her with half the female survivors and it could be fitted into her lore that the real reason Kazan went to town on her was because he found out she was dating another woman and that his wife had become sterile after Rin, meaning his bloodline was disgraced and nearly extant, with his work problems being merely the drop that spilled the glass.

Just my take, would love to read others

• Mooks

It’s part of the current tome story and can’t be fully read in-game as it’s locked partly behind future challenges.

i guess you can find YouTube videos on this topic though

• Leachy_Jr
    Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,196

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the era deathslinger is from incredibly homophobic?

Even then, I think there's better picks than slinger. Trapper or wraith would be my pick.

• Mooks

I would like a story like that about Rin and her father. Makes sense and builds on the already established lore!

(one minor nitpick: Kazan is not the father of Spirit, I don’t think her father is mentioned directly by name but Kazan is the Oni)

• Dwight_Fairfield
    edited May 2022

But we don't know any of Trickster's personal relationships. Not that they can define anything either as we were told David had a girlfriend and now he's gay.

And once again nobody is making any assumptions based on his clothing. Nobody. If you can find one post in here where someone assumes he must be gay because of how he dresses then I'll concede to your point. All anyone has done is speculate as a possibility. In a thread that's asking us to look at the killers and think about who could be gay. It would be stupid to deny that many gay people dress flamboyantly like that as a way of self expression. Its not insensitive, or bad, or homophobic or anything like that to think that Trickster's dress sense makes him a possibility since we're already being asked to look at the possibilities for who could be gay. Nobody is treating it as an absolute sign or indicator. Just a maybe.

Anyway that's my last post on this. I can't keep repeating the same points. Its just a going in circles discussion at this stage.

• Viskod
    Viskod Member Posts: 854

You : Nobody is making assumptions based on how he's dressed.

Also You : Maybe he's gay, because of how he's dressed.

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,774

Well thank you, first language is German by the way.

I really love it when you can have a nice discussion here without rage or throwing strawman arguments around you know.

To be fair i have a certain view on these things because I have to feel it daily but you are a nice discussion partner.

I think the thing I like the most that David is the first gay guy is that you can't play spot the gay and it's the fairy looking guy :D so to get back on the rails I think death slinger could work and break that manly cowboy headhunter image but to be honest I didn't looked up his lore that's something I need to do for a couple of characters

• Chaos999

Oh. I didn't know that. I thought her father became the oni.

Maybe I should read the lore more.

• Dwight_Fairfield

Discussing possibilities/maybes is not making assumptions. If you assume something then you think its true. The person who's first language is German has a better grasp of the English language than you do.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    edited May 2022

Oh nice. My father was from Germany. Frankfurt to be exact.

You've been a pleasure to chat to. Thank you.

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,850
    edited May 2022

Trickster's sexuality doesn't really matter because the only person he's in love with is himself due to how big his ego is, how much he craves having the spotlight to himself along with the attention and popularity that comes with it from all his adoring fans and how much he loves his work when making his songs.

Hell, even in his tome he is his own number 1 fan.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

Gay Deathslinger yes.

• Mooks

Oni is an ancestor of Rin and her father but it’s over several generations. There was speculation going on that another Yamaoka or maybe even Rins father might become a new killer at some point!

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,850
    edited May 2022

Personally, i would rather see some of the unknown Yamaoka family members that lived in the timespans between the time after Kazan and before Rin was alive become their own killers rather than Rin's father being one.

• Chaos999

Oh. Thanks for clarifying that. Maybe the oni is mad at his grand grand grand grand niece for being a lesbian?

I can totally see oni mains entering role play mode and tunneling whatever female survivor the community ships Rin with xD

Though that might not be a good thing, now that I think about it....

• Lochnload_exe
    Lochnload_exe Member Posts: 1,360

As a pinhead main, not remembering chatterer is insane, he is and will always be the first confirmed gay character in dbd

• leviivel
    leviivel Member Posts: 277

Don’t know if this post is serieus or not, but you could make an actual good plot with it or just sneak it in as an extra.

for example: He could’ve maybe been in love with one of his gang members but had to hide because it wasn’t very respected, or, he could’ve been in love with the warden (which would work if you know lore) and so he was very much heart broken on the betrayal putting more emotions into him.

• TheDarkTyrant
    TheDarkTyrant Member Posts: 2,074

People would be saying the same thing if we never knew any sexuality then they come out with "Our first official straight character!". It's about as useful as a white crayon in a game like DBD and shouldn't have time spent on should we make this character no one cares about this sexuality or this character no one cares about this sexuality. There is no need for it and it's just wasted time.

• Mooks

Some people would be saying the same. But… actually no. Almost no one said anything against any of the heterosexual relationships already mentioned. And confirming a character straight or only writing heterosexual relationships for that character kinda have the same result.

Its only time and resources spent that would otherwise be spent on lore anyways. Nothing gets lost here or is wasted. And if people actually have a problem with the devs spending time/effort/money/resources on lore then… don’t start complaining about it only when it’s about LGBTQ+ topics. Lore was part of the game from the very beginning and the devs didn’t hide the fact they are investing more and more into lore with background stories getting longer, tomes existing etc.

• Afius
    Afius Member Posts: 563

Deathslinger is all about shooting and penetration seems like a solid fit .

• FinalFractureTV
    FinalFractureTV Member Posts: 19

What lol

• mynameisBlade
    mynameisBlade Member Posts: 325

Trickster is the perfect fit.

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274

1.) We should really not care about the sexual orientation of characters in general - but especially not the likes of killers. Characters like Clown or Hag should never ever ever ever be sexualized in any way. They are not characters created for this in any manor, nor are they curtailed to be perceived in such a way as to be relevant to humanity. I understand that there are a few people who sexualize killers on a fanfiction level, but this should be relegated to community interpretation - killers are not meant to be sexual or even relational in nature.

2.) Killers make for poor 'representation'. I use quotations because I do not believe any sane individual would want to throw their lot in with someone like the Clown, nor should they ever. Killers are morally devoid and incredibly dangerous individuals and should not, in the least, be sought as a form of representation - as it is of ill conceived direction. You don't want to, for instance, make a particular killer neurodivergent - because then it has the added correlation of autism = evil killer person... which is NEVER what any developer of the game will want to portray. While such factors like ethnicity and gender are implicit in presentation - factors such as sexuality and so on do not need to be disclosed, which makes the effort of such inclusion all the more deleterious towards desired progress.

3.) Survivors make for great representation because they have outstanding qualities and are comprised of fantastic moral fiber. David King is a selfless and hardy man who uses his strength and incredible fortitude to help those that are weaker than him. He is strong, selfless, and daring. He is a hero. Having him represent a minority group is a good choice, as many survivors are. He has relationships and interacts with others regularly. Survivors, in this sense, are good examples of what representation could be - not that it SHOULD be - but the novelty stays nonetheless. Killers, however, are abusive, ill willed, selfish, destructive, and horrifying abominations comprised of once-human remnants twisted into machines of evil by the Entity. While survivors may enjoy the liberty of representing community subgroups, I do not believe Killers should be perceived with the same leniency.

4.) Dude... why everything gotta be sexual? C'mon man. Lets have a normal, non-sexual game about thrillers and chases.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096
    edited May 2022

Let's chill out guys...okay..

(Also 1 thousandth post less goooo)

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

Doing what they do makes them pretty monsterous yeah.

• Mooks

revealing the sexual orientation or identity doesn’t directly sexualize a character. It’s part of their identity, probably related to some experiences/struggles or meaningful relationships in peoples/characters lives.

We have several killers with heterosexual relationships and thus it actually would be just fair (in sense of equal treatment) to have others who are LGBTQ+. Of course for some killers it wouldn’t make sense and would be out of character to have them had a meaningful relationship, but most killers actually have a ‚snapping‘ point in their life, until which they lived a normal life. Hag, Nurse, Wraith, Spirit for example would actually make good representation (Nurse even has a husband she dearly loved). And we are just talking about tome story’s that are taking mostly part in their previous lives.

I agree that David is a great kind of representation especially for their first LGBTQ+ character, as this is a sensitive topic and they did kinda exclude it from their game up until this point.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

But a murderer IS great representation?

Weird line in the sand.

Killers are evil, dude.