Is dcing to prevent bloodwarden and other hook based perks exploiting?

Options
supersonic853
supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,387
edited May 2022 in General Discussions

Given new fuel from coconut.

But this has been actually a thing for a while. I've had survivors dc when they know one pop on that 70% gen would win me that match. That one bbq proc can give me immense pressure. I open the gate and go for a blood warden play and they dc in my arms. "Its not a hook so doesn't activate the perks! And it's part of the game!" Dcing is meant for when you have to literally leave for a emergency or your internet dies. But i do feel all hook based perks being nulled by it is dumb.(Heavens knows how many times ive lost my 25% bbq stacks from a dc) really makes you wonder how it should be handled. Dcing for hatch has been a thing for years but i don't really slug to much so it doesn't bother me. Losing my bbq stacks because your mad you got downed by misjudging the loop distance does. What's everyone else think though?

Comments

• amazing_grace
    amazing_grace Member Posts: 734
    Options

I think it's really hard to determine what to do in this situation. You are technically exploiting the knowledge that if they hook you, they get benefited from a perk, but this exploit isn't the same for some reason as other exploits. I would consider DCing to deny a perk exploiting information, but the person who DCs already gets a punishment for doing so. Considering that "strategically" DCing isn't an in-game mechanic, then I guess it's technically an exploit.

The problem with determining if this exploit should be bannable is that you can't really prove their intention for DCing sometimes. In the past, (and probably future) there have been bugs that cause the survivor to DC when getting hooked just because of lagging out or freezing or something like that. You can't prove someone rage quit DCed to deny you a hook 100% of the time. At best, you can maybe ban people that press "Exit Match," but then people will just alt+F4 to get around that. For the sake of people with spotty connection or console people who lag out during hooking, I don't think this should be a bannable offense.

It's definitely quite rude though and exploitation.

• supersonic853
    edited May 2022
    Options

Id say unless the guys dumb enough to say like "ez bw counter lol". Yeah i guess. But i do feel like this can be fixed like above by keeping the body till the next hook and it instantly dieing on hook. So the killer at least gets something. Also have had it happen where a killer gets pressure because the moment the killer picks the survivor up they dc. Then the killer has no other option than to just chase and down the nearest survivor who woulda had 5-10 seconds to get away from the hook. But now they don't.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,929
    edited May 2022
    Options

it one of those things that should be banable but can't because there's just too many other possible explanations as to what happened. That survivor could have simply rage quitted or had connection issues.

Post edited by Yatol on
  • amazing_grace
    amazing_grace Member Posts: 734
    Options

Yeah, having the survivor body stay in the match until it is hooked would be a good solution. They then should keep the bleedout timer or have a separate timer so that the body disappears and the killer can't exploit having a free pop waiting. Honestly, probably would solve the issue entirely, but I have no idea what bugs that would introduce knowing how small fixes affect the game.

And I've had that as well. Literally, the survivor ran to me to try and pick me up, goes down, gets picked up, and DC. If they didn't DC, I would have been able to get up with unbreakable and get hatch. But no, they DC so killer could instantly pick me up instead. DC is frustrating for everyone involved.

• Viskod
    Viskod Member Posts: 854
    Options

Of course its exploiting. You're doing a forced exit from the game that prevents the natural occurrence of a game mechanic just because you don't like the outcome of your own actions.

Did the killer down you and someone opened the gate right after? Did they pick you up and you don't have DS? Is there no way to get free before they can get you to a hook?

Well too bad. If they have Blood Warden then Blood Warden should activate.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

Yes, it's cheating. Fortunately though the DC penalty is automatic so at least if someone is doing it frequently they're getting temporarily suspended for it.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,127
    Options

Sees a Youtube video, goes to the forum and sees a post about the video.

Happens more often than I like.

This is just part of a larger issue. There needs to be a husk left behind or an AI to take over.

• GroovyKiller
    GroovyKiller Member Posts: 30
    Options

Should we be reporting this? It happens all the time. It has happened three times today so far. Feels like it should be punishable like any other exploit.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    Options

Yes, Press E for Blood Warden would be great thanks.

• supersonic853
    edited May 2022
    Options

Sorry after seeing the video and having had it happen for a while (mainly with bbq) decided to make a thing on it. Citing the video as supporting evidence vs just...my entire case and calling it a day. Explaining on denying valuable pops bbqs and the most famous dc for hatch. I do understand it gets old though. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter though!

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108
    Options

Yes, it is an exploit

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,269
    Options

I think they would have to know you have blood warden to establish any kind of intent there. Even still the leaver penalty is there which works regardless of the reason why anyone left the match. It is an effective deterrent against leaving matches in my opinion. I imagine once someone starts getting up to the half hour mark they start to realize its better to finish the match then have to wait a long period of time to play again. I disagree with the leaver penalty, but it is still effective nonetheless for why it is there.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,225
    Options

DC-"tech" always has been an exploit, be it for this or hatch.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452
    Options

DC'ing per se is not reportable and it's handled exclusively through the automatic timeouts.

Unless they'd literally admit to their intentions in chat, nothing would happen.

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599
    Options

Also might I suggest that if a player DC's then all hook based perks should activate as if you just hooked that survivor. Seems only fair, because it doesn't make sense that a Survivor DCing is such a penalty to the opposing side.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,568
    Options

Technically, yes.

It fits the definiton given by BHVR.

However, it's probably one of those things they don't take reports on despite them saying "its reportable." The end-game report screen has a lot of inaccurate info, like reporting for disconnecting

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,545
    Options

How does a person know that you have Blood Warden unless they also have Distortion and walked inside the gate?

Maybe they're just mad, I highly doubt anyone in a regular trial is DC'ing at the end because they're clairvoyant and know your perk setup.

They would have to know for it to be considered an exploit.

• MB666
    MB666 Member Posts: 965
    edited May 2022
    Options

I still think people dont deserv a ban for that ....instead what about making survivor that DC while being carried can be hooked like once you put that survivors on the hook it just dissapear like usual.(Fixing bloodwarden and BBQ not gaining nothing because of the DC)

after all , DC for hatch is still a thing a long time ago. (and no one talks about it)

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,613
    edited May 2022
    Options

Personally yes I consider it exploiting. The game makes it clear that you are not supposed to DC by locking them out of matchmaking. Taking advantage of DCing to affect gameplay in a way like this is therefore exploiting imo.

I think if a survivor who is in the dying state disconnects then the game should treat them as having been hooked. This goes for purposes of bloodpoints as well as triggering any hook-related perk like Pop or awarding a stack of BBQ or grim embrace, if applicable.

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389
    Options

Coconut is becoming one of my favorite YouTubers cuz he sheds light on stuff like this.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,788
    Options

Dc'ing to prevent perks is an exploit but no way to detect why a person dc'd so nothing can be done about it.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195
    edited May 2022
    Options

I'dbe upset about it, but I get schadenfreude when people play so pathetically as to go that far.

It might screw me over but I cant help but laugh

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,762
    Options

Technically no, but people who it are scum all the same

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,213
    Options

Yes.

They need to make DCed survivors bodies stay in the game to prevent bloodwarden, bbq and hatch exploits.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,213
    Options

Giving that kind of control may lead to other exploits IMHO.

Simply leaving the survivor husk in the game should fix this naturally, shouldn't it?

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Perhaps. But there is no reason why BW has so many restrictions to activate. Either alleviate them or let the killer decide when to trigger it.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    Options

No, it isn’t. You people have weird definitions of what an exploit is.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the only way a survivor would even know Blood Warden is in play is through Distortion. The only other possibility would be stream sniping, a risk every streamer assumes when broadcasting themself.

DCing is an option built into the game by BHVR, which already comes with prescribed penalties. I’m fine with leaving a husk or another solution, but leaving a match is in no way an exploit by either side.

Going outside of the map? That’s an exploit. Leaving a match? No.

• Carrow
    Carrow Member Posts: 500
    Options

No, nothing is being exploited. The devs coded the body to disappear when a person DCs, everything is intended mechanics.

I wonder out of all the people whining about it, how many DC-d when their totem was in an inaccessible point on the map, giving them unlimited Devour Hope Value with literally no way to counter it. Oh, I know, zero! You don't give a ######### about exploits, bugs or fairness, you just want everything to go your way.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526
    Options

You can't prove they're doing it to avoid bloodwarden (as perks are hidden, survivors would realistically never be able to know your perks unless they were sniping) Unfortunately nothing can be done about it and I personally wouldn't waste time clogging up the reports section when we need so many eyes on all the hackers / bots we have.

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

This feels like killers grasping at straws for stuff to report survivors over. You can't prove that a survivor knows you're running BW and that their intention in DCing is to deny the activation of that perk.

What's next, are we going to report survivors who DC and deny you your token of BBQ? When this stuff happens to me I could care less because I usually end up going on to do well against the remaining survivors who are now at a disadvantage in terms of numbers.

Seriously I feel like this scenario is niche as it is. Highly doubt every survivor ever is suddenly DCing to "counter" killer perks

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    Options

That could be easily exploited with starstruck and mad grit.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

They could make the thing auto-wiggle. Or have it unaffected by certain perks while being carried.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    Options
  • Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

I have enough faith in them to think they probably could manage it, just not enough that they would actually bother to lol