Should you be able to have decisive strike when you unhook yourself?

Crolee
Crolee Member Posts: 40

I believe that if you manage to get the lucky 4% then you shouldn't be rewarded even more by having DS.

tell me why/why not

Comments

• Crolee
    Crolee Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2022

but when the survivor unhooks themselves when the killer is nearby then the killer has 2 choices:

1) risk ds

2) go to a corner of the map where there *might* be survivors

at least when someone unhooks a survivor, the killer is given a choice to either go for the unhooker or risk ds, but this choice isn't there when a survivor unhooks themselves

• Grimzy
    Grimzy Member Posts: 219

Considering it happens maybe once in a blue moon that you get an unhook with the 4% i would consider it like finding a shiny pokemon in the pokemon games. For being that lucky he should get DS,

• Carrow
    Carrow Member Posts: 500

Yes.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,354

Getting off the hook regardless if it was a self unhook or someone saving you should activate ds.

• amazing_grace
    amazing_grace Member Posts: 734

I think it's fair that they have DS because Kobe off a hook is so rare, might as well let them have it. You either are away from the hook so they have DS with you not around and they waste a minute not touching a gen or healing or you hit them off hook and slug them.

It's not like they get BT from unhooking themselves, so its easy to just slap them and leave them on the ground. Even with deliverance, deliverance gives you a built in time for when DS is out (unless they have vigil). What if they have unbreakable? Good, they just wasted their unbreakable and you don't have to worry about it later.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

As a killer I have no issue with someone having Decisive Strike if they pull themselves off the hook. The whole point of the perk is that it’s a hedge against getting hooked twice in a row before you have a chance to do anything else. Whether a survivor pulls themselves off the hook or gets rescued doesn’t really matter toward that goal.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

It was proven when they nerfed DS and people stopped using it camping and tunneling became so rampant they had to put an Obsession by default because loading into a game with no Obssession meant no DS and it was a free ticket for tunneling.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,703

I don’t think it’s an issue.

• Barbarossa2020
    Barbarossa2020 Member Posts: 1,369

If kicking gens was meaningful then killers might be less inclined to tunnel.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

I think you should have it still, the only situation it's gonna hurt you is if you're camping and tunneling, or the EGC, but in reality why shouldn't it activate is a better question? If you're having a problem with DS it's probably you tunneling, if that's your thing I suggest playing a killer like PH that ignores BT and DS and even the 4% all together

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

HA, you don't know the pain, I'm at 2400 soft resets and still no shiny

• Absoluterealdipper
    Absoluterealdipper Member Posts: 31

I'd rather have a natural Endurance effect when you get the 4%, obviously it gets disabled when using Deliverance

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,695

I don’t see why survivors shouldn’t have DS.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,742
    edited May 2022

...whataboutism at it's FINEST

I don't see the link at all, I'm not going to lie.

There are a lot of base game changes that could make people less inclined to, or instead it would make it even stronger. People can and do stack 4 slowdown/regression on Nurse/Blight and tunnel the first survivor still anyway.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096

I mean I'll eat the DS because I eat those. But honestly D's is annoying either way so idk. Probably

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,962

I mean yes? You can be tunneled regardless of how you get off

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,054

Why? When it comes to Map Pressure, it is the same as a Hook - two Survivors are unable to do Gens (the one on the ground and the one who needs to pick them up).

• DangerScouse
    DangerScouse Member Posts: 989

Mainly because in my experience the slugged survivor is rescued relatively quickly, and you haven't even had the benefit of a hook state. Back to square one and another gen down.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

Yeah this is one aspect of slugging that gets overlooked.

When you slug well you want to be chaining downs, hits or interrupts that eventually let you get a hook or 4 downs. Outside of that you'll get short term pressure but if you can't turn it into objective progression, hook or kill, then its just sunk time for no real overall advantage.

I'd say its usually better to eat the DS than to slug and avoid it if your down isn't going to chain you into multiple hits/kills.

In answer to the OP though I don't think DS activation on self unhook is that big of a game influencer that it needs a specific change to remove it.

• LazyClown
    LazyClown Member Posts: 171

I would say take the ds as much as possible, it sends decent stats to the devs so that the perk can be nerfed. I mean it's been nerfed like 5-7 times lol, its been babying survivors since its inception let them have it until its gone lol. Not my fault survivors can't correlate their efficient play to what efficient killer play is.

• DangerScouse
    DangerScouse Member Posts: 989

Thanks for the comments. Makes sense what you are saying.

• Barbarossa2020

Well if you don't think meta is meta for a reason, and just refer to it as whataboutism then thats your loss.

If you do X ill do Y, and that goes for both sides, as as for specifics killers then they obviously need changes to their kits, but trhe majority of killers could be buffed by making a simple game change like that without having to through 40 perks.

• legacycolt
    legacycolt Member Posts: 1,684

Yes, you should

• AykDanroyd
    AykDanroyd Member Posts: 232
    edited May 2022

Yes not only should self unhooking activate Decisive Strike, but it also grant Borrowed Time, Guardian and any other unhooking perk to those who have such perks equipped. It's ridiculous how these effects haven't been implemented for self unhooking after all these years. This means that the mechanic of someone automatically dying on their 1st hook if all other survivors died or left the match should be changed to give that player a fighting chance if they bring BT, DS, etc.

Also, I think it's BS how Deliverance gives the broken status when a survivor has to use up a slot for it. Why is someone who earned the right to unhook themself after unhooking someone else while having that perk equipped being punished? Especially when that perk becomes useless if a player bringing it is hooked before unhooking a team mate? And even more so with the garbage matchmaking there is now where unless I'm SWF'ing, I end up playing with players who let me die on 1st or 2nd hook in the solo queue while they just stay on gens because they're new players and don't like sticking their necks out? How much more BS punishment should players who bring Deliverance get when nowadays it's a necessity for those in the solo queue?

Furthermore, players in the solo queue should be getting a 5th perk slot that is automatically filled with a Deliverance perk that does not make them broken with all the new/bad players they get teamed with these days. How hard would it be for the game to detect that the players you're playing in a match lobby with are not on your friends list, thus confirming you're not on a SWF team and granting you that 5th slot? Not hard at all, just requires some time and coding.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

That's simply not true. It's just a disingenous view that tries to sell the illogical point that players would willingly forego their easiest path to victory just because something else became available, or out of kindness, or honor.

Camping and tunneling always existed. Back in the days when there wasn't an obsession by default, if you loaded into a trial without the Entity's tentacles around any of the survivors' icons in the hud, then the first person found could just kiss themselves goodbye, because they weren't either getting off their first hook, or they were going to get back on it immediately.

Same a couple years ago, when the DS stun was bugged on a few killers and, surprise surprise, those were the only characters you would see played in that period. And by pure chance they all happened to tunnel the ######### out of every soul.

It's wishful thinking to think that camping and tunneling wouldn't happen if we let that be enforced by a sort of inexistent honor system, or worse by increasing gen times without any other stipulations.

See what happened to DbD derivative Deathgarden, that had no effective remedy against those strategies.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,439

Sure. But you shouldn't have Decisive Strike after entering a locker, or touching an exit gate.

Also make it 40 seconds instead of 60 seconds.

• Barbarossa2020

Well Boon's disagree with you, Survs quite happily forgo a major objective to do a side objective.

I wasn't saying it wasn't going to happen, but in today's meta if a killer wants to win they need to nuke as hard and fast as possible.

If there is other options rather than just a straight nuke the games may be more engaging for all rather than gen rushing and tunneling.

• hex_uwu
    hex_uwu Member Posts: 201

If anything, you need ds even more if you 4%. ‘I couldn’t find the unhooker’ is a common tunnelling excuse/reason.

• CodeDB
    CodeDB Member Posts: 272

But what stops them from kicking the gens for more slowdown AFTER tunneling the first person out then? It would still just be easier for the killer to tunnel someone out and enjoy the benefits of more base regression for the 3 remaining survivors for an even easier win. I just don't see the correlation between how kicking a generator makes spreading hooks be the more optimal playstyle.

As for boons, good survivors only do the side objective if it ultimately makes their main objective easier. That is why people complain about Circle of Healing, as it allows for survivors to remove pressure from hit and run killers or allows easier resets which in turn gives the survivors an easier game while not being a risky decision to do so.

• Leachy_Jr
    Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,196

Deli DS is a stupidly strong combo but really only in sweaty matches. So while it wouldn't be a bad thing I think other changes should be done first.