Has anyone managed to get value out of Boon: Exponential

dspaceman20
dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

I have tried so many time to get value out of it and it always seems to not work. The one time I did almost get value from it was a hag who has trouble finding me and I didn't even get up.

Someone who has gotten value from it please teach me your ways. How did you do it?

Comments

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,382

I had a game on Lery's where a teammate was running Soul Guard and they got themselves up in my Boon: Exponential twice during that match.

I was running a meme build with OoO and MoM and had Exponentional and CoH with it. Which I also got to work that game as well.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,970

There's been a few instances where my exponential saved us from a 4 man twins slug

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,575

Once.

And once against me.

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660
  • dspaceman20
  • Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,063
    edited May 2022

RPD offering, Saboteur or toolboxes. Stack the totem with CoH because why not. Hook spawns are pretty unforgiving in this map and the killer will have to drop survivors frequently, who can pop back up provided they're on the right half of the map. Boons have massive coverage provided they're placed in the center 1/3 of the map (of which there's a couple excellent spots.)

The secret to all of the non-CoH boons is RPD. Midwich, Lery's, and the Game are inferior but still worthwhile choices.

I've seen Exponential get some scattered value on random maps - one notable time was when the gens were done and two survivors were left, and the killer tried to slug in order to get both survivors, only for the slug to pop up and make a break for the gates. But on maps where the totem is exposed and ultimately close to where you have to loop it, the killer's liable to spot and stomp it before it can do anything for you.

Badham is another good map for Exponential, but you want one of the variations where the basement is more in the center of the map than squished in a corner. The totem in the basement is pretty much an impenetrable fortress and the entire area around the preschool will have hyper-Unbreakable - which is great, because hooking people from within the preschool is already tricky. Just make sure that basement spawns in shack.

Keep in mind that to get any value from Exponential, the killer needs to slug, so Exponential is automatically better as a team perk than a solo perk. You want your teammates to harass the killer or bait them away from you. In solo, it's all dependent on whether the killer wants to slug (in addition to whether you're close enough, if they spotted the boon, etc.) That's not at all reliable.

• dspaceman20

So In order to get use out of the boon I need to have a map offering?

If that's what it takes then ok

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

Couple it with power struggle and flip flop and have a teammate bring a flashlight to bait the killer into leaving you down and it's a guarantee you get use out of it every time as long as it's not snuffed

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,063

Pretty much. Boons that aren't CoH are very unreliable unless you have a totem spot that can cover a lot of the action while still being difficult to access. There's a couple good maps that work for this, but many of them aren't the only possible map for their map offering and you can't force them like the indoor maps (Temple of Purgation, Thompson House, Ironworks of Misery.)

Shadow Step is also god-tier on indoor two-story maps if you ever want to try that one. It's weaker on the Game because the floors are bright, but on Midwich and RPD, it's like playing against a killer who doesn't have object permanence.

• Verconissp
    Verconissp Member Posts: 1,587

I had it happen a few times.. its kinda fun to get back up with Unbreakabill, and just slowly getting away and they're confused as to how i got up after i got downed lol

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662
    edited May 2022

I was a bit of an exponential enjoyer a while ago, although I do play in a SWF a lot although not always on comms.

So basically the trick is to show your presence around a downed teammate and pressure the killer. To do this the survivor will have to either die on a pallet with you nearby OR you will be in flashlight or flashbang saving distance. The killer can then not risk picking them up without you getting a save.

I was a flashbang enjoyer the same time I was using exponential and it worked out nice. But a flashlight is probably better suited to the job. Pressure the killer.

I also recommend using CoH with Exponential not only to benefit your team more but to help you quickly heal back up and get ready to pressure the killer again when healthy. The killer may well just start leaving survivors on the floor slugged and just go for you if you are persistent enough and if survivors keep dying in the exponential radius.

TLDR; You gotta be a bit cocky and run around a survivor about to be downed with a flashlight or flashbang - show your presence. Of course you gotta be a bit lucky they are downed in the boon radius.

Post edited by Pepsidot on
  • AykDanroyd
    AykDanroyd Member Posts: 232
    edited May 2022

I think the Yamaoka maps have some good spots for boons too. That one spot in the Family Residence is hidden well though I'm used to seeing totems pop up there.

• Satelit
    Satelit Member Posts: 1,377

I did get up once because of a teammates exponential,but I had Soulguard,otherwise I would've gotten slapped back down.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,710

I got value once against an infinite tier 3 myers who didn’t bother snuffing since he probably assumed it was coh

• Viskod
    Viskod Member Posts: 854

Your mileage will vary based on the map but places like Midwich, RPD, and The Game where a Boon can hit people on the floor above or below it as well is always going to be better than widespread maps where the Boon area is just kind of off where no one is going to be running.

Any map with a good "main building" area that ends up having a totem in it is going be better than not. I ran a meme full boon build on The Game once and two people were able to get up because of it.

As a killer I had a group use it, and sabatour, and breakdown on new haddonfield when I was Legion once and oh my god. That match was wild. I couldn't hook anyone anywhere and people were constantly getting back up, the totem was out in the open though so I had to keep snuffing it and they'd keep re-enchanting it.

It was tedious, but it was different and a lot of fun. Still got them eventually though.

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142
    edited May 2022

Funnily enough, I was struggling to get value out of Power Struggle and had to make a whole build around that perk. In doing so, I found a build that gives great Power Struggle value and Exponential value:

• Boon: Exponential
    • Tenacity
    • Flip-Flop
    • Power Struggle

Setup your boon near unused pallets; work on a gen nearby; run to the pallet when the killer is about to down you. You can immediately begin to recover and crawl to the middle of the pallet. The killer may check for others before picking you up, but even if they don't and they pick you up immediately, you'll have recovered enough to stun them with Power Struggle.

Be sure to check out the auras of unused pallets while you're down, using Power Struggle, to see if there's another pallet you can run to afterwards.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

Apart from its biggest issue of being a boon, it suffers the same requirement of all other anti-slug perks: need to give the killer a reason to leave you slugged to begin with.

• eleventbh
    eleventbh Member Posts: 374

If I can hardly get value out of Unbreakable I can't imagine getting value from a perk that requires the killer to down you within the boon's radius, slug you, and not find the boon that they had to have downed you near.

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,893

I’ve gotten lots of value out of boon exponential. I think it’s the most underrated boon perk.

Game-Midwich against the Twins. I put Exponential and COH up I was Hooked twice I got unhooked and twins downed me then Charlotte released Victor and I got up from exponential and I got out with hatch

Game-Haddonfield against Legion. He had Noed he downed me and slugged me I got up from exponential and I escaped.

other games I got value but I died. It’s very good when it works. Here’s my tip to get value from the perk.

try to put the perk near gens. It’s a risky move but killers will always slug near gens set exponential up near a gen and get downed it’s guaranteed you will probably be slugged in that area.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,619

One of my go-to tactics is a four-slug. Boon exponential has helped many teams survive their first round down.

It also prevents the killer to keep trying to slug after the first time.

The four slug is not uncommon for Nurses so I think it may be good against her. It's not the best boon to use against Nurses though.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

RPD Library Hell.

That is all. That is how I got value.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,619

With Unbreakable, everyone needs it to work against a slugger.

The advantage of the boon is that "eveyone" potentially benefit from it. (Which is insane.)

• Anara
    Anara Member Posts: 1,297

It helped me and my friends when using For the People + Soul Guard build

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    edited May 2022

Not me but I saw someone get value out of it once in a match, it was the only time I saw that perk give value.

• JaviiMii
    JaviiMii Member Posts: 286
    edited May 2022

There were a handfull of matches where someone brought it and we got value out of it - on one or two occasions it actually saved the match. If you bring Exponential yourself, bring Tenacity as well. Imo, you don't actually need map offerings if you know what a strong boon position is on which maps. Covering as much of the map as possible is one way to go - but having Expo covering the massive center-dead-zone on Swamp or just having half the corn covered by it works very well as well.

With Tenacity the trick is to try and go down outside of the range and crawl+recover with Tenacity and use the boon just for the last bit & picking yourself up. Also, not letting the killer know that the boon is Exponential helps a great deal.

Personally, I don't bring it because there's just not enough slugging going on in the matches I'm in. That being said: I do kinda want to convince my friends to do an swf round with 4x expo, tenacity & soulguard/flip-flop and hope for someone who really wants to slug and just deny the slug-fest😂

• Sakurra
    Sakurra Member Posts: 1,046
    edited May 2022

Yes, few times. I'm 100% solo queue.

• Stang119
    Stang119 Member Posts: 2

I've run Exponential a lot, generally in combination with Shadowstep and Circle of Healing. I've gotten value from it, sometimes even bringing games back from a near-loss. Of course, it is nowhere near 100% of games that I get value from it. I estimate at most 5% of my games that it actually does something, but I run it nonetheless because it's so nice when it does work.

The biggest factor is totem placement. Ideally you want it in a central-ish location so that it's easy to reach, which is probably obvious. Of course the obvious "god totem" locations will work for this, such as RPD library and the top of Ironworks of Misery.

On top of placement, it's a lot better when your team is very altruistic (easier as a SWF) and can keep the killer occupied while you recover. For example, if you have one or two survivors hanging around with flashlights, they're far more likely to leave you slugged.

• eleventbh
    eleventbh Member Posts: 374

Oh yeah, and in a SWF there's some potential with coordination like that too. But most of the time it's easier to get value out of Soulguard or some other slugging gimmicky build like Flip Flop/Power Struggle/Tenacity/Unbreakable

• Silver9
    Silver9 Member Posts: 31

I got benifit out of it exactly once. Slugging wraith. Crawled to my totem got myself up right as he sacrificed the third survivor and found the hatch before he did. Literally the only time I've ever managed to use it.

• GlamourousLeviathan
    GlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 981
    edited May 2022

I am a Twins player and I will tell you that I have already lost more than one game only because of exponential.

• Mazoobi
    Mazoobi Member Posts: 1,565

I remember when it was set up close to an exit gate and this Trickster managed to down my friend and me.

He decided to slug us, which allowed us to use Exponential and dip out of there. That's really the only time I can remember.

However I did run it yesterday for a meme build and this meg had TENACITY and was slugged in my boon, but decided to not recover...

• Malkhrim
    Malkhrim Member Posts: 964

It's highly abusable in RPD if your team brings the right combo of sabotage + boil over, but highly situational anywhere else.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,903

If the killer knows you have it and is afraid to snowball when given a golden opportunity too then yes you got value out of it. Cause its either A, they go for the snowball and lose the down or B, the killer spends time finding the boon to stomp it giving the 2nd person to get distance making the killer waste even more time to catch up.

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869

Exponential by itself is kinda worthless. However if you mix it up with boil over, purple branch and set up your boon on a good location, with several levels and where you can run to every time you get into chase and the killer has trouble getting to a hook, you can often get value from it.

It also works better when you are coordinating with at least one more survivor who runs Sabo to guarantee the killer can't hook you.

Ultimately it's mostly a meme build and a smart killer can simply slug you, snuff your boon and leave you to bleed. Or you might simply be unlucky and have a map without a good location for this.

You won't be able to turn this kind of gameplay into a winning strategy against anything except baby killers but then again if you just want to have fun and mess a bit with the killer, this is a good way to go about it.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,865

Once. Starting to seem like a wasted perk slot TBH. I don’t like perks that are so bad it feels like you’re handicapping yourself by only playing with 3 perks when you really have four.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Yes.

It's one of those 'condom' perks - in that it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I used it, combined with CoH and Shadowstep for a bit - and it's incredible against Twins, or the occasional (horrible) Knockout Ghostface.

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,774

For me it's Was also rpd. First game with sadako and I just had bad luck that both hooks near the armory where already destroyed by sacrificing and then boil over made it too hard for me to reach a hook so I had to slug. Well above the Amory was exponentiall CoH shadowstep -. - I had to sit there and watch nea bleed out since the gates where already open and she got up again and again and again and tryed to escape my grasp with DH it was just a pain

• dictep
    dictep Member Posts: 1,333

A lot. Use a toolbox to sabotage when he’s carrying someone