The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Killer Mains- Would You Be Ok w/SWF’s Being Removed?

KerJuice
KerJuice Member Posts: 1,851

We know they’re the bane of your existence. They make games not fun. Would you prefer to not deal with them if it means longer Que times but more chill games with solo Que players?

Some argue removing SWF’s would kill the game. Personally I think the game will be fine and thrive long term. What do you killer mains think? Would you rather take that chance of the game “dying” for more fairer games, if it means you don’t have to deal with the headaches of SWF’s anymore? The four DH’s, DS’, and flashlights with the clickety clicks and teabags? Would it be worth it to role the dice?

They could still play KWF- they just need to find a fifth. Then the 5 of them could take turns playing killer, abiding by the unwritten entitled rules, then see for themselves how unrealistic having fun as a killer is when dealing with a SWF. They’ll see what it was like to be in your shoes. Wouldn’t that be nice?

So the devs plans are to “bring solo Que survivors to the level of SWF’s.” Is that what you guys want? Are you really going to find SWF’s 1.5 in the form of buffed solo Ques fun?

Comments

• Carrow
    Carrow Member Posts: 500
    edited May 2022

If I knew whether a given lobby had SWFs or not, I would dodge 100% of the time and I don't even mind going up against them that horribly, especially once I'm Iri rank 1 and depipping is no longer an issue. It's just a very easy way to make the game more fun, so I would always use it and I suspect the overwhelming majority of killers would as well, leading to insane que times for SWFs.

Buff SoloQ, rebalance maps and killers. That's the only way. And of course make an actual skill based MMR so that we can know what's OP and what isn't.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

I play both sides (mostly solo queue when I play survivor), and yes playing against a coordinated SWF feels very unfair and the matches usually aren’t much fun for me. However, I fully realize that playing survivor with your friends is part of what makes this game fun and popular. When I can find a friend(s) to play with, it certainly make it more enjoyable for me. The problem is that it’s essentially a zero sum game. The more fun/easy you make it for one side, the less fun/more difficult you make it for the other.

I don’t have any great ideas for how you solve this problem without significantly nerfing SWF which I think would lead to a lot of players quitting the game. For me, I’ve taken a more personal approach to solving the issue - I just don’t play killer much in the evenings when there are a lot more coordinated SWF teams. If I can get time during the day to play (doesn’t happen often), my killers matches are a lot more balanced and enjoyable.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I think there are ways to alleviate the solo/SWF gap without resorting to the nuclear option.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,846

No, but something needs to be done because the game is not balanced for swfs. If it was, I think nobody would have a problem with them.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Absolutely not. Swfs are the most fun punching bags.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,032

I knowingly play SWFs all the time. Not sure why people are scared of them.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,559

No. It's a silly suggestion that doesn't consider the after effects.

• hatchetChugger
    hatchetChugger Member Posts: 442

I personally have no problem with SWFs. If I am going to bring a sweaty killer + build, I expect my opponents to sweat too. If anything, they should buff solo queue via voice chat and/or some other way to communicate.

• KerJuice

The “after effects” is literally stated in the OP. Along with the question of taking that risk.

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

Hell no

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,774

No.

Sure swf are often harder to beat and sometimes just plain impossible to beat. And bully squats exist but we should not remove the ability to play with friends that would be the doom of this game.

We should balance the game so killers can compete against good coordinated swf and we should get solos up to a similar strength so they don't be left on the side of the road

• vanGlasse1
    vanGlasse1 Member Posts: 295

I personally don't see a big issue with SWF itself (as a killer player and also survivor sometimes). Having 4 people on call playing against me may be "harder" than when they're 4 randoms, but ultimately it only really gives them like Kindred as basekit (which imo is harmless and ok for the other side to have) and excludes some of the survivor aura readings (which is not so much of an extreme problem to me honestly). SWF on its own mostly hurts stealth killers as Ghostface and maybe Myers I guess, also Trapper and Hag sometimes, but I sincerely think this could be "fixed" mostly by reviewing the killer's mechanics than SWF on its own.

The real issue I have when dealing with SWF is mostly when the 4 players are playing basically the same build (varying a few perks which only need 1 person to run and using another meta one) with the most boosted ######### possible (map offerings, good toolboxes, BNPs, Purple and Pink medkit addons), other than that I'm pretty much ok with them trying to go for bodyblocks, sabotaging, being effective on healing each other when I mess it up, etc.

• Impalpable
    Impalpable Member Posts: 152

No, SWF is an important and characteristic part of this game. BHVR just has to close the information Gap between Solo Q and SWF Voice Chat which is technically definetly possible in multiple ways even though they might have to arrange things like their HUD differently but currently theres happening way to less which definetly hold the game back.

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

No? People deserve to have fun with their friends. This is a ridiculous take.

• Fnatic47
    Fnatic47 Member Posts: 396

I am a killer Main and i don t think SWF should be removed because thats not the best way to deal with it... However i would likely wanna see 5 perks on the Killer that could be awesome xD

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Killer mains... Killer mains would play solo queue without friends. 😢

• Dead_Harder
    Dead_Harder Member Posts: 1,370

No, i dont want the game to die. Dunno why you want it so badly

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    edited May 2022

I am not a killer main but I play both.

I also don't play this particular game with friends or anyone I know. Just solo q as surv.

While I agree swf is too much of an advantage, some people are having fun playing with friends with no ill intent. People can be toxic no matter if they are on comms or not btw. But yeah advantage is there.

Still, I can't just be selfish because I'm not part of it and wish for it to be removed so I can have "better" experience. This is one part of the problem with community (humans) which will never stop. There will always be complaints about something and people wanting their "side" to come on top. That doesn't mean things shouldn't change of course, but it is something you have to take into consideration.

I see people having fun with it. Some are nice, some not. And I just can't be, yeah I'll take it away from you so I can feel better. Then I will take again and again and again if I can. I would just reduce myself to basic human impulses.

Sorry for the long post btw.

• Tsukah
    Tsukah Member Posts: 390

Not a killer main, but yes

• KerJuice

I want it so bad, I can taste it. 😋

All kidding aside, gotta say I’m surprised in the responses here. I thought killer mains would’ve been on board. So many threads on people complaining about vs. SWF then they turn around and say “no don’t take em out. The game will die.” Ok. Then stop complaining. The game would drop in numbers at first yes, but it would bounce back. People forget DBD launched without SWF & it was a hit. There’s still Kill with Friends Mode. They would just no longer be in public matches. BHVR could even give that mode a set of toggles to spice it up.

I don’t think buffing solo Que improves the game- even with the supposed balances that are to follow after that.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436

Balance Killers against SWF and give solos more information to close the gap between then and SWF.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,703

Absolutely not

• Dead_Harder
    Dead_Harder Member Posts: 1,370

Sorry you found out that killer mains are reasonable and not absolute idiots.

• Mdawgu
    Mdawgu Member Posts: 408

No it would kill the game

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Nothing lost if it's removed, given that bots are coming swf groups can have their fun in kyf mode.

• mischiefmanaged
    mischiefmanaged Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 374

I generally don't care if the survivors are playing with each other or not. It's a video game. People are allowed to play with their friends. I also don't generally believe that winning because survivors were bad at communicating with each other to be very satisfying. I'd kind of like survivors to have more tools to communicate with each other without relying on outside comms.

• ThanksForDaily
    ThanksForDaily Member Posts: 1,304

Well, if they want the game to die within days, the only way is to remove swf.

• Vetrathene
    Vetrathene Member Posts: 1,425

Yes

• KerJuice

Don’t apologize- there’s still hope/time. One person said “yes,” after that- maybe more to follow? 🙃

• EvilBarney666
    EvilBarney666 Member Posts: 334
    edited May 2022

I'm a killer main all day long. I don't want swf removed and I am fine playing against them. Hell I have been doing that anyway since I started playing when Myers came out.

I feel that this game is too random. Your going to win some and lose some. I do feel that the killer should be compensated in some way for the advantage swf (especially with comms) has.

I enjoy playing against a good group of survivors. I like challenge in my games. If I wanted easy games evey time I play a game I would go play Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

I just go into every game and do my best win or lose. I know how to win and lose with dignity. At the end of the day, it's just a game.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

No because playing with your friends is one of the big draws of this game.

Killer queue times would go up as swf players left.

That said, its been shown just how big of an advantage communication can be in game especially from a coordinated group of friends. I'd like to see the game balanced around that with brutally strong killers making even coms a QOL addition at best.

You could then have in game coms for PUG groups with a mute option.

Yes SWF are a major source of unbalance and toxicity, bad players tend to group together and feed off each others negativity, this doesn't get solved by banning SWF though.

• pizzaduffyhp90
    pizzaduffyhp90 Member Posts: 901

I don't think it's a good idea to remove swf's I heard it was already rough enough before that existed back in 2016.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,308

No, I think it's an insane idea and believing there's an infinitesimally tiny but non-zero chance of it ever happening is delusional.

The devs didn't go for the "buff solo then balance around that" long-term approach for no reason. It was always the only approach to "doing something" about SWF that ever had a chance of happening. If someone is unhappy with that but they ever typed a sentence that looked like "do something about swf", they're simply getting exactly what they asked for.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,462

No

That'd kill the game faster than anything else

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,583

Absolutely not.

First, yes, it would kill the game.

But that's would still not the way to do it. The game has to be balanced in a way it's not a problem for friends to play, without forgetting the solo player either. (Nobody said it was easy.)

Besides, when they are rushing SWFs are lame (and it's not limited to them: it can also happen with solos). But they tend to play altruistic which can lead to very fun games.

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024

TLTR: yeah agree some perks like knockout would have some reason to be in game.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

The problem with solo queue isn’t a communication problem. It’s a reliability problem. Thus making SWF irrelevant to the majority of the reason why SoloQ just sucks.

From my experience 90% of the solo queue frustrations come from the following:

• - They will not participate by being efficient on a generator when absolutely necessary… and when they actually do they are the first ones off at the sound of a killer TR.
    • - They will farm in front of the killer without BT or the slightest idea of what they are doing.
    • - They will not take aggro by either taking a hit or trading a hook. Even though they have never been chased the entire match.
    • - They are generally not very good in chases . You’ll know this because the minute they get chased they are downed in 2 seconds.

These are just some reasons why. Of course if I had someone in voice it would make some aspects of the match more bare able but I don’t think being in a SWF really makes a difference considering that you can still win without comms if a team is good.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

No

• Tryharder
    Tryharder Member Posts: 173

Should just remove killers and let survivors just play with bots but make sure to hide the bot info just like swf so survivors can’t complain. Meanwhile killer mains can just play another fun game like elden ring and don’t gotta deal with unfair advantage and handicaps

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,465

Id rather see the gap between solo survivors and swfs brought closer together then killers buffed to make a better end product then what we have now

• MrCalac123
    MrCalac123 Member Posts: 1,147

I just want them to stop spawning on f$%^ing gens

• Wampirita
    Wampirita Member Posts: 809

as a killer? Not really, i love SWFs, their altruism is their doom. I absolutely love them and i don't want them to ever be gone.

As a solo Q survivor.... PLEASE give me an option to never be filled into SWF team.. I'll have a better chance getting help from 3 other solo Q people than 3-man SWF who won't rescue me, cuz i'm not their buddy

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,743

There is much truth in this. Run Lethal Pursuer sometime to see some shocking placements...

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,743

Not a viable solution either, as you get no Bloodpoints in KYF mode and you know the grind of this game. Suggesting this is just like saying "don't care how or where I want them gone, and so what no blood too bad play solo". In a game where solos have been the minority for years now. Makes no sense.