Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Why Do So Many Killers Run Thanatophobia?

StarLost
StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

I...don't get it. I see a ton at my likely crappy MMR, and I see it a ton when I watch people stream at ultra high MMR.

To my mind, it's generally a waste unless you're a Legion or a Plague.

I'd prefer to use that slot for either extra info or extra lethality.

Comments

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,707

I rarely run it on anyone other than plague and legion. Almost always use it on them, though.

• StarLost

I only really use it on Plague.

Legion...I've come to love Nurse's.

My build is generally:

• Call of Brine or Pain Resonance
    • Discordance
    • BBQ
    • Nurse's

Works really, really well. I wish that Oblivious didn't suppress their ability, because I'd love to go for a Plaything/Penti build on them.

• StarLost

Yeah, the passivity does make sense. But I find that people heal fast anyway, and attrition styles aren't great right now - mostly thanks to CoH being in maybe 75% of my games.

I'd honestly rather run Surge...or better yet, Pain Resonance. Also somewhat passive.

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911

My favorite is Deadlock. It buys you an extra 30 seconds on the gen that needs it the most, right when you need it the most, without any input.

• StarLost

I went through a phase of 'blocker' perks, but I sort of gave up on them.

Unless you're on Artist - what will happen is that the game will look like I'm winning - 6 hooks at 4 gens, with Deadlock or DMS postponing them being done.

Then the dam breaks, and suddenly at 6 hooks at 1 gen, with the last gen half done.

I'm sort of coming around full circle to info and hard regression. Call of Brine has actually been growing on me.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

Placebo effect maybe?

Like at least 1 survivor will be injured at any given time, so maybe people think that constant 5% slowdown is impactful? Not sure.

I know some people run it so survivors waste time healing to get rid of it or they run it on killers where healing is either impossible or almost pointless.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

Because when you're doc, you have to cure your madness if you want the penalty gone, which is probably something like a gain of 15 seconds if I had to guess, cause you have to cure madness and heal, also imo, one of the most consistent slowdowns, even though easily countered

• StarLost
    edited May 2022

Yeah, Doctor. I approach him as standard as they come - STBFL, Surge, Pain Resonance, Discordance. Thana is an odd idea on him to me, as he's more of a 1v1 killer.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

You could use monitor instead. Not as effective, but causes your ff range to spike in a chase, then quietens to let you approach more stealthily

• Malkhrim
    Malkhrim Member Posts: 963
    edited May 2022

It's good when combined with Sloppy Butcher... if survivors don't have CoH, at least. When they really don't, experienced survivors usually stay injured and avoid healing so they don't get slowed down by Sloppy. With Thana, they will be pressed to heal since doing gens while slowed down and being injured is not very safe.

Pop, Call of Brince and Pain Ressonance do a better job at slowing the game down? Sure, but they don't have this nice sinergy with Sloppy builds.

But yeah, using it with killers others than Legion and Twins is a risk right now due to CoH. Weirdly enough, I find Sadako to be the one to get the most value out of Sloppy + Thana, since her mobility and stealth can allow you to hit-and-run to some degree at least. That doesn't mean it's strong on her (actually, one of the reasons Sadako feels too weak is that her kit favor hit-and-run, a playstile ruined by CoH).

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,687
    edited May 2022

Thana is a slowdown perk and it comes with a free character. I don't run it, but its certainly a better perk than most free options.

I saw bit of an otz stream once where he said he was watching a comp match where a blight was using thana and he wondered why he wasn't using it over many other slowdown options and then he checked the tourney rules and those other slowdown options were banned perks on blight.

So yeah, the reason to use thana is not having other perks.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735

It only really works on Legion and Plague, but you have to have 3+ injured people most of the game to really get at least some value out of it. I think it's a bit overrated perk.

• TruEternity
    TruEternity Member Posts: 320

Running ruin/thana/pentimento is a pretty nasty combo, and if you pick another perk of your choice with synergy it can be nasty. Plaything is good as well.

Besides that, I feel it just seems better on paper than what it really does. Saying percentages compared to the seconds makes it sound better than it is. Saying 20% sounds really good, but then saying 16 seconds sounds less impressive. On top of that how often are all four people injured? I think it’s just a placebo perk unless you have a build dedicated to getting value, and the there are better slowdown perks.

• ARTRA
    ARTRA Member Posts: 938
    edited May 2022

Because they dont have undying + ruin (1 dlc +1 not basic killer) or pop goes the weasel (non basic killer) or the new sadako ruin kick perk (dont remember the name).

What do you have? Nurse with tanato and nurses calling.

In short, Tanato its easy to get from begining.

At least its how i see it i can be wrong.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

Unless it’s Plague or Legion I don’t think it’s worth running. It could still use some buffs.

• Rokjer
    Rokjer Member Posts: 169

Thanatophobia is also correct on the Nurse. Of course, you have to know how to play the Nurse for that, because you have to be able to quickly hit several Survivors.

• RenDesune
    RenDesune Member Posts: 246

I remember when I first started DbD, I used to see the thana perk icon on the bottom of the screen and freak out thinking it was NOED

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,182

It's a terrible perk unless you can guarantee survivors will be injured(basically just plague or legion).

1 stack of thanat on a gen = 1 - .05 = .95 C/D = 80 / .95 = 84 secondds

2 stacks = 80 / .9 = 88 seconds

3 stacks = 80 / .85 = 94 seconds

4 stacks = 80 / .8 = 100 seconds

The 3 and 4 stack slowdown is pretty nice but keep in mind how difficult it is to get to that level unless you are playing 2 killers in particular, most survivors will probably start to heal if they notice you have this perk and it's stacking up. At 1-2 stacks I would argue its negligible and considering that most survivors will probably want to heal anyways to not get downed in a single M1 it is a pretty meh perk. That said if you are legion or plague who make it not worth it/impossible to heal then its value shifts pretty heavily.

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,495

Thana and sloppy butcher is really nice

• TotemSeeker91

I guess yeah, if you can get the proper amount of zaps, you actually slow the game down quite a bit, I have such an off meta loadout for him and works quite well considering it's doc: Blood warden, Agitation, lightborn (LOVE THIS PERK) and thanatophobia

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

I use it because it nudges survivors toward healing with it's disadvantageous. The little debuff icon and the gen speed indicator are powerful psychological tools that tell them they should heal.

I wouldn't qualify it as a very good perk, though.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,210

It stacks with regression perks very well, making Ruin and Pop even more effective.

• NemmyMan3000
    NemmyMan3000 Member Posts: 228

Because gen speeds are a nightmare and if even one surv is injured, you still slow progress on gens.

• StarLost

Lightborn can be amazing. If you are decent at hiding it and pick it as a contingency into 2+ flashlights, oh man. It's also sleeper S tier during the Lunar event, due to firecrackers.

Agitation is nice, but I always try to pair it with at least 2 scourged hook perks.

Blood Warden...just not a fan. People always try to 99% gates if they are smart.

• Mechanix82
    Mechanix82 Member Posts: 185

You can run it on any killer. Its forcing survivors to take time to heal instead of doing gens. Alot of surv believe it or not will stay injured and just pump out gen progress. Thana counters gen rushing to an extent. This game is all about time management and survivors healing over doing gens is time management win for killers

• KFChris18
    KFChris18 Member Posts: 112

I tend to use it on my blight with NWO, Corrupt and BBQ. Its a feel good perk since it provides a downside to being injured for survivors. That being said, I think it really only works on killers that can spread hits easily like plague and legion. I only use it because I can get away with it as blight.

• SimplyPixelated06
    SimplyPixelated06 Member Posts: 469

I don't see it that much. I only really see it commonly on legion's and plague's because it makes sense with their power. And I never really see plague. I guess it depends on mmr and maybe region

• TotemSeeker91

Eh, if they are cocky enough, they'll 99 the gate then come running after me, then something miraculous will happen, get the down, they open gate, I hook, and goodbye, lol agitation is in my what I call my wildcard slot, idk what to put there, lol

• StarLost
  • TotemSeeker91

Really? Huh, I'll have to try that if it's that good, lol thanks for the suggestion

• StarLost

I'm now running Discordance basically basekit on most of my killers - it's incredible. Will almost always give you an early chase on multiple people, and is godlike in the endgame where everyone's on one gen.

It's especially great on Doctor - you know that your blast will hit a minimum of 2 people whenever you see it.

• TotemSeeker91

Yeah, my static blasts haven't been hitting many survivors because I run his iri king, which I have like 20+ of, and high stimulus, literally his best two add-ons, at the cost of no static blast range increase