Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.

How can you possibly get 5 pentimento totems?

Options

I haven't played with this perk yet but it confuses me. If you have 5 totems on a map and hex effects are removed once the hex totem is cleansed, how can you rekindle 5 totems if one of those totems has to be pentimento?

Best Answer

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

There is not an original Pentimento totem.

Hex Pentimento doesn't exist until you rekindle a broken totem.

So, survivor cleanses a totem, you come along and rekindle, you then have one hex pentimento totem that gives survivors a gen repair penalty. Survivor cleanses another totem and you go over a rekindle it then you have a second pentimento totem that gives a healing speed penalty. If the process continues in that fashion without survivors going back and cleansing the rekindled totems you would get to five pentimento totems that the entity prevents from being cleansed and the survivors have to deal with tons of debuffs.

Now if they break a rekindled totem that totem is just gone forever. Which I believe removes the associated debuff. Though unless you run a full totem build it is going to be unlikely you will get the full five. Even then survivors are incentivized to bless more than cleanse. Which is more time consuming, but worth the benefit of a CoH+Shadowstep boon area.

Answers

• _NIGHTMARE_
    _NIGHTMARE_ Member Posts: 727
    edited January 2022
    Options

You start a match with no hex pentimento totems.

It works when either a dull or hex (if you run any other hex perks) totem is cleansed, if I remember correctly.

So to be lucky and get all five hex: pentimento totems up - survivors will have to destroy all 5 totems regardless of whether they are originally hex totems or not.

From there (a destroyed totem) you can rebuild it into a hex: pentimento totem.

I think survivors can cleanse the hex pentimento totems as usual though: I don't know if you can rebuild it again or not though.

Edited to (hopefully) make things clearer. I hope this helps.

• Elcopollo
    Elcopollo Member Posts: 765
    Options

In theory, survivors should break all 5 totems and all those totems have to be rekindled by killer. You do this by coming to those broken totems and pression your action button (the auras of broken totems are shown to you in white). That's how you get Pentimento's Rekindled totems.

In practice, it's virtually impossible to do, unless you are extremely lucky, have insane mobility and survivors who don't remember any totem placements after they break it. Because you basically get 4 types of survivors nowadays:

1) Survivors who use Boons, so they couldn't care less about breaking totems.

2) Survivors who don't use Boons, but are so concentrated on generators, that they couldn't care less about breaking totems either.

3) Survivors who will break some totems, but won't be able to find the last 1-2 totems until the end of the game.

4) Survivors who will break all totems, but will still go out of their way to re-break one of rekindled totems before you get 5th stack.

As you see, none of these types help you towards gaining max possible amount of stacks.

So yeah. I wish you luck in getting those juicy 5 Pentimento tokens. 'Cause it almost as easy as killing all-out hacker.

• TheHunter2529
    TheHunter2529 Member Posts: 42
    Options

So basically, whenever you rekindle a totem, it duplicates pentimento and even if the original is cleansed you can continue to get totems as long as you have at least one rekindled totem?

• _NIGHTMARE_
    _NIGHTMARE_ Member Posts: 727
    Options

It looks like as long as there is a broken totem (broken once; it has to be either another hex or a dull one), then you can.

But it appears that you can only rekindle a totem once (last sentence of the screenshot), as it gets consumed by the entity upon hex: pentimento being cleansed.

So in practice, it looks very difficult to get all 5 hex: pentimento stacks.

• Zevlow
    Zevlow Member Posts: 16
    Options

So if i run Pentimento, haunted gound, since this one give two totems not just one, and two other hex totems, would that count as my five once pentimento was activated?

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333
    Options

I'm having a bit of trouble following what your asking so I'll just break it down like this:

Hex Pentimento does not care about what other totem perks you bring. Five dull totems spawn in the match no matter what, it does not matter if you bring hexes or not those five totems will spawn.

What Hex Pentimento does is very simple, if survivors cleanse/break the totems that spawn you can go to that broken totem and rebuild it as a hex totem tied to Hex Pentimento that gives out a debuff. Bringing extra hex perks just increases the chances that survivors will be more inclined to cleanse totems. It's probably going to be pretty rare that you will ever rekindle five broken totems into Hex Pentimento totems as it depends solely on whether or not survivors will cleanse the totems and if you can protect the Rekindled totems you do get.

• Wampirita
    Wampirita Member Posts: 808
    Options

If you meet me in your lobby (I like to go by names I'mHexyAndYouNOED or Totem Goblin), just wait like 1-2 min, depends on map, and ALL totems will be gone xD

(only once in my Totem Goblin life I met Pentimento counter, so i'd love to get a rematch)

• Lekitzul
    Lekitzul Member Posts: 495
    Options

I assumed it would kinda help more towards the end of the match, after some cleansing is done and hopefully survivors are more focused on the last gens and not exploring as much, thinking they cleansed them bones. I haven't tried it much tho.

• Kamikazi
    Kamikazi Member Posts: 144
    Options

While you are igniting your Hex:Pentimento totems, hoping survivors are doing that last gen, Hex:Pentimento gives near no benefit in the End Game Collapse. On the other end, if Hex:Pentimento gets completed near the start of match, it can be slightly punishing.

After having tried hard for many days of matches to get 5 Hex:Pentimento totems going, my view point is that it needs a rework. Without cooperation from survivors, it can't be done.

1. Blessed totems break Hex:Pentimento, which need to be allowed to ignite.
    2. The verbage "hex" used in Hex:Pentimento description is incorrect, as pointed out earlier here. Needs a re-type up.
    3. Hex:Pentimento "looks interesting" but it's design wasn't thought out very well at all.
    4. There is no way to ignite all 5 totems before 1 ignited totem is crushed. (As pointed out by another here.) Breaks Hex:Pentimento.
    5. -1 Perk to utilize. Garbage Broken Perk in killer arsenal.

If Hex:Pentimento allowed killers to re-ignite cleansed ignited totems, then killers and survivors could fight over totems, making it a game in its self. If killers didn't try to gain tokens to ignite lost totems, they would lose the perk's usage as normal. The killer is already wasting too much time walking to cleansed totems to ignite them. This time would cost the match in high MMR!

The easy counter would be for survivors to just do gens, and ignore Hex:Pentimento entirely, as its already kind of weak with all the walking involved.

The only killer counter I could see working occasionally, would be to use Hex:Plaything to block totems from 3 survivors from cleansing. But then all survivors would need to be hit early on in the match.