Less Censorship!

Clockwork_Enigma
Clockwork_Enigma Member Posts: 529
edited November 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

Imagine a world where you aren't censored for trying to say the word "major" in endgame chat on Dead by Daylight. Or "rancor", "pallet town", "[insert character name]" or other things.

That's it. That's the post.

The censorship in this game is ridiculous.

Edit: 5/22/22

As part of my plan to showcase just how ridiculous the censorship of the game is, I've decided to compile a list of censored words, names and phrases in the game that trigger the in-game chat censorbot.

These are those words and phrases:

• Major
  • Rancor
  • Pallet Town
  • Blood Debt
  • Iri

If you have any more words or phrases, please let me know in the thread below. And if you want to gain traction against censorship in this game, please give this thread an upvote.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,016

it really is. they should have a small dictionary for censored words, not just a computer deciding

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

It censored "blood debt" last night while I was asking a teammate to help me out with it pregame. Absolutely ridiculous.

• ArchAbhor
    ArchAbhor Member Posts: 847

iri is censored

• AGM
    AGM Member Posts: 806

B-b-but someone said a mean no-no word to me on the internet in the chat box!

God forbid they actually put some effort in, instead of a band aid that doesn't work right and just pisses people off.

Too bad actually doing something tangible about player toxicity that doesn't screw over normal people doesn't make them any money.

• ihateboons
    ihateboons Member Posts: 167

Imagine playing a game with a Horror tag and being offended by dirty language.

• darkcloudlink
    darkcloudlink Member Posts: 326

This game is meant for adults, we should be able to say what we want within reason. Racial slurs and sexist, toxic words should be censored, not names and gameplay mechanics and whatnot. The filter is absolutely ridiculous.

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252

just censor slurs, idk how rancor is included in the chat filter but good lord is it stupid

• Clockwork_Enigma
    Clockwork_Enigma Member Posts: 529

I should make a list of censored words or phrases that shouldn't be censored. Maybe then we'll start getting some traction here.

Everyone, if you will, please give me any words that have been censored by the in-game chat that shouldn't be--these do not include racist, sexist or otherwise unforgivable slurs. These should only include words that, by no means, have any bad connotations.

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2022

Yea it sucks when you're trying to tell someone how fun the match was when it comes across as looking like you just cussed them out. The chat censor is something else.

• Ihmislehma
    Ihmislehma Member Posts: 22

"Bill Power"

Many Finnish words: kiitos and kiitti both (variations of "thanks" in Finnish)

• BastardKing
    BastardKing Member Posts: 784
    edited June 2022

"Downs" is censored. There are challenges where it explicitly states that knocking a survivor to the ground is called 'downing' them and that you need to 'down X survivors', but you cannot say 'Downs'.

Edit: No, capitalization doesn't affect it.

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911

"ggswp" is censored. I have since switched to "ggs lmao"

• Balsadar22
    Balsadar22 Member Posts: 17

If you type Red Herring in chat, Herring will be censored, kind of doesn't make sense, but okay

• LadLord
    LadLord Member Posts: 18

I get so random censor that it's crazy.

But the system dosen't censor the same every time either, so that is very wierd.

I mean, I've gotten censored once for saying "gg wp"

And almost all perk names gets censored a lot, but not always

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,065

I had Vigil blocked yesterday. Which I was trying to bring up because there was a cheater in the game using a perk they didn't have...

Yun-Jin is still blocked, too.

This discussion has been closed.