Devs, Why Not Give Bubba's Power a Range Restriction?

So there's an idea that someone else had, probably even multiple people at this point, but why not add a range restriction to Bubba's Chainsaw when he's near a hooked Survivor?

Someone suggested around 12 meters or so just to prevent him from camping, so why hasn't there been a change like that since his original launch?

Comments

• Clockwork_Enigma
    Clockwork_Enigma Member Posts: 529

I'm well aware of that; but my intention with this thread is to see where the consensus would lie regarding this.

• Elan
    Elan Member Posts: 83

Abuse that by sandbagging teammate on Hook. 💁 Nerf that and Bubba will be trash, as most players get two hooks per game and than facecamp with noed. This restriction would make Bubba Dead again as he was till rework. Dead as Twins are.

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

It'd feel pretty bad and weird to just not be able to use your chainsaw because you're close to a hooked survivor.

• Mozic
    Mozic Member Posts: 601

The Bubba would simply need to wait next to the hook and begin revving as soon as a survivor is unhooked.

It'd also shut down Bubba when survivors are looping around the hook, which seems unnecessarily punitive.

The way to make it so that Bubba's ability to trade around hook is diminished would be to cause his power to end once he downs someone, or if preserving the lethality would be novel, adding a check to prevent his chainsaw from downing more than 1 person at once, and adding a 0.5s-1s delay between injuries.

• Clockwork_Enigma
    Clockwork_Enigma Member Posts: 529

He already has around a 1 second delay between injuries; you can actually notice this when running Speed Limiter. However, I feel like your idea is on to something.

Perhaps, and this is a long shot; instead of the idea I posted in the OP (which isn't mine, by the way), this is what I've got:

• Bubba's Chainsaw can only hit one Survivor at a time; if it hits a Survivor, it goes on a 1 second grace period before it can hit another Survivor.
    • If the game detects that Bubba is injuring a Survivor that is either on hook or currently being unhooked, he will end his Chainsaw Sweep, losing all of his tokens, and going into the maximum amount of miss cooldown he can.
      • If this also happens, Bubba cannot activate his chainsaw until all Tokens are fully recharged.

These three things ensure that Bubba cannot hit multiple Survivors for free anymore when going for the unhook, and Survivors can fully play around his Chainsaw ability by baiting him into using it at the wrong time. This does, however, still have its fair share of counterplay, but by changing it to these, it provides fair gameplay between players.

Also, I'd change Speed Limiter to negate the first and third effects, since it should have something going for it.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,952

There is a high chance of BT becoming default survivor skill, but that wont solve camping.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    edited June 2022

Non-mobile killer powers need to be disabled within a small radius of a hooked survivor, outside of all gens already being repaired and basement. End of story.

• AnchorTea
    AnchorTea Member Posts: 1,019

Then what's the counterplay to a face-camping Bubba besides the killer making a mistake?

• AnchorTea

And what if there's one gen or no gen left? Do we just let that survivor die on hook?

FYI if there's 5-4 gens left then the hook timer will eventually expire and it'll lead enough time for Bubba to find another survivor and facecamp them.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,375

Personally I don't like preventing killers from using their powers just because of hook proximity it just feels bad when survivors are near the hook and you can no longer use your power to defend the unhook.

Things like PH trail disappearing after a short duration due to hook proximity I find to be okay, because it doesn't make the killer feel bad to play in a specific situation.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

With one on the hook and three people free to do gens you can finish three gens in about the time it takes for that person to die and be started on the fourth. Bubba's not invincible he still has to catch someone and is weak to all the usual survivor strats, but you can't make a mistake. One person needs to keep him constantly in chase so the other two can power through the remain gens.

It isn't a great solution, but it is the most optimal solution for the situation. You also have to accept that in the end you might die while your teammates escape, but that is ok as well.

• AnchorTea

I can accept that in order to play optimally you cant make mistakes. I agree to that. The issue is that making that 2 or even 1 (this is Bubba we're talking about) error in playstyle should not grant a major punish of a kill. You can say that there's 3 people = 3 gens but dont even get me started on how awful hook saves against face campers are in solo q. It's just bad game design that Bubba is guaranteed at least 1k-2k through his face camp strat. It could even be higher than that if survivors aren't careful.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

Maybe they could make it so after he downs somebody he does a little victory animation (Like in his mori where he raises the chainsaw up a few times after killing) and then after that he can continue the sweep

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,179

I think it would help a lot if he could not down multiple people with one sweep when close to a hook. Bubba is the only killer that can down both rescuer and the rescued survivor in a single attack even if BT is involved.

Even Pyramid Head can't do this.

• GrimReaperJr1232
    GrimReaperJr1232 Member Posts: 1,690

The devs actually answered this in a Japanese Q&A.

TL;DR it's a drastic solution they don't want and are looking into alternatives.

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274

Just make it so that his power recovers with movement, and have it reduced relative to his distance from a hooked survivor.

Would solve face camping in a matter of hours after implementation, and wouldn't effect Cannibal gameplay outside of camping.