Anti Teabagging & Flashlight Clicking System

Shaderz
Shaderz Member Posts: 42
edited June 2022 in General Discussions

I don't think it shocks anyone to say teabagging, or repeatedly spamming the crouch key/button, and flashlight clicking are absolutely disgusting. They are the peak of toxicity in Dead By Daylight, and it's seriously about time to address them.

Anti-teabagging System:

I think it would help reducing the amount of toxicity in the community if there was a way to slow down repeated crouches, or nerf the crouching speed so normal crouching works as expected, but spamming it causes your character to "get tired" after every crouch more and more so it becomes slower for every next crouch.

Off the top of my head, CS:GO has a crouching system that would work perfectly here. It kills two birds with one stone; it prevents fast crouch peeks and stops teabagging simultaneously. Now, fast crouch peeks aren't an issue in a game like Dead By Daylight, but teabagging definitely is.

Anti-Flashlight Clicking System:

For flashlight clicking/spamming, I'm not exactly sure how slowing it down to the same level of the aforementioned anti-teabagging system would work, but it could be tried out.

Alternatively, introducing a cooldown between each flashlight click could be an option. Say 5 seconds between each click. So survivors are still able to blind the killer, therefore making the item still work as expected, but spam clicking it wouldn't be possible anymore, as they would have to wait 5 seconds to use the flashlight again. Of course, this number is up for debate, but I hope it gives you an idea of what I'm going for here.

I can't think of a single reason to keep either of these features in game, other than the fact they just add up to overall toxicity in the community, but you could prove me wrong. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• PerfectlyPink
    PerfectlyPink Member Posts: 435

I'd only want an anti macro flashlight. Teabagging and regular flashlight clicking suck, but they're fine

• Shaderz

Care to elaborate how they're fine? How are they useful to gameplay? What value do they bring to the game other than toxicity?

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,398

5 seconds is pretty unreasonable for a cd on flashlights.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

Say it once and I'll say it again, nothing in this game is toxic except the endgame chat, everything else is a "strategy"

• Shaderz

5 seconds is just a number, it's meant to explain how the system could work. I'd be fine with a 3-second cooldown, but probably no lower than that. Maybe make it work with rarities, so a yellow flashlight has a 5-second cooldown, but the purple one only has 3 seconds. Just throwing ideas back and forth.

Yeah, I don't think the "Hey, I'm going to act toxic and piss this killer off, so he gets mad and underperforms as a result of it" really is or should be any form of strategy in any game.

People play games to have fun. The moment an opponent goes out of their way to ruin your experience, the odds of not having fun increase. That's counter-productive and hampers any sort of progress.

• TotemSeeker91
    edited June 2022
  • Marcavecunc
    Marcavecunc Member Posts: 2,057

Agreed, 5 second is stupidly long. Half a second would be fine.

But then again. Clicky clickers and teabaggers are obviously bait targets, just don't fall for it and go for other ones. (though sometimes they're just trying to get you to chase them to become better at chases)

• Shaderz

That's easier said than done. People react differently when confronting the same situation, so you shouldn't expect everyone to not take offense when somebody acts toxic towards them.

• TotemSeeker91

That doesn't change the fact that nothing needs to be done to these features, because they don't change anything about the outcome of the game

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,497

These are only minor issues compared to killef facecamping/tunneling and hitting survivors on hook and making survivors just feel as miserable as possible. Those are much bigger issues does teabagging prevent you playing the game? Nope it's maybe annoying but when you hook them you can headnod and hit them on hook to payback. Flashlight clicking needs nerf that it can't ve done too fast and blinding also should be less bright cause some people are sensivite for these. Even I once got headache from someone clicking at me but I played too long anyway that time. But really facecamping and hitting survivor on hook are at least as much as toxic. You probably don't care about these issues as you only play killer but I play both sides and those are big problems.

• Shaderz

It's not about changing the outcome of the game, that's not the issue here.

The issue is how these features are toxic in nature. They bring no value to the game, in the sense that they don't help survivors loop the killer longer or repair generators faster. There's nothing about them that makes you go "okay yeah, they're really useful to the game".

Matches where teabagging and flashlight clicking take place often end up being more toxic than matches that don't, which is easily proven by the endgame chat.

This suggestion aims to make headway as a community in the sense that it will inevitably help reducing toxicity.

• Marcavecunc
    Marcavecunc Member Posts: 2,057

Yeah, clicking and teabagging is baiting the killer... facecamping (not just camping, roaming around, literal facecamping) and hitting the survivor on hook, or slugging the last survivor for no reason at all and waiting for them to bleed out.. now that's toxic.. clicking and tbagging? annoying, but not really toxic

• Deathstroke

Clicking is still toxic but other I agree. Yeah I had killer bleeding me out as I made few 360s agains't her and she closed hatch front of me while I crawled to it. She also just continued hitting the air and purged on me. So some killers are just much worser than survivors in the game. In chat survivors can be horrible as well.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586
    edited June 2022

My thoughts? Grow thicker skin. I’ve been t-bagged and flashlight spammed *a lot* and yeah it’s annoying but I don’t let it trigger me

• Shaderz
    edited June 2022

I play both sides equally.

I'm not denying facecamping, hitting hooked survivors and slugging someone to death aren't toxic, but their existence shouldn't solely be reason to deny this suggestion

I don't believe teabagging and flashlight clicking are minor issues. They can seriously ruin someone's experience if done exhaustively. Ultimately, this leads to a decrease in player satisfaction, which is undesirable.

There's a reason most games out there have anti-teabagging systems. They would just add up to the overall toxicity within those games if they existed. Not to mention the underlying sexual reference.

• Deathstroke

Well that player is too soft and maybe dbd is not game for him if teabagging is really what ruins his experience. I understand clicking can be very annoying and it can cause actually eye strain so it's need nerf. But killer can really ruin survivor experience do these are only minor issues compared to facecamping and hitting hooked survivor, bleeding survivor on ground as those makes you unable to play the game.

• TotemSeeker91

Some people like hiding from killers, others like taunting cause it gets them rilled up apparently, so we have super fast crouching for that purpose, I personally always just used tbagging when I come across a teammate on a gen, and don't stop until they tbag back

As for flashlights...3 seconds? Really? What if I accidentally clicked the button and I need to line up my shot? By the time I have it lined up after the 3 seconds, I'm already hooked

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,065

While I despise all forms of BM in this game, a ban on performing those actions wouldn't fix the issue. Lock off the old channels and people will find other ways to express BM, and that new language will become dominant - maybe people fast vaulting out of reach, or people pointing. Who knows? Meanwhile, tbagging and clicking have communication uses on the survivor side that you'd be preventing. Sometimes they're even used for friendly communication to the killer. I wouldn't complain if they banned tbagging in the exit gates, but eh... I don't see this actually addressing the problem with DBD's community being really nasty on principle.

While I do want a flashlight cap to prevent macros, the flashlight cap you suggested is far too restrictive. You're not allowing any adjustments to be made if a blind is mistimed, or a second attempt to be made if a killer looks away and then breaks the pallet, and that would make flashlights very hard to use. Any ban between clicks has to be on the level of milliseconds. More likely, you could deal with macro clicking by draining the flashlight by x amount if it's activated y times within a second - maybe 10x as an example.

I don't think anything's going to happen either way. The devs have expressed pro-BM sentiments in the past and don't seem to consider it a problem, and that's the stance the community managers have held whenever they respond to these topics.