Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

How to avoid getting so stressed out while playing?

Ive always been the type of person to get hyped up (and not in a good way) while playing games, dbd is one of my favorite games to play as a huge horror fan but i just cant seem to have as much fun as others do because im so easily stressed, i get so angry when getting teased by survivors and it messes me up for the rest of the match, and i always end up embarrassing myself in the chat afterwards

any suggestions? i just wanna have a good time and not completely quit because of my wack brain

Answers

• WalterBlack
    WalterBlack Member Posts: 148
    edited June 2022

I definitely feel where your frustration is coming from. See if you can't go for someone else if a certain survivor is BMing you. They're usually the best chasers. I think part of it is mindset as well; if you end up not killing anyone, your MMR will go down and you'll probably go against friendlier people. I try to see this as a positive thing (although it doesn't always help against the frustration.)

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142

I switch to Executioner and play like a bot (DbD's bot, not the cheater's).

I never use his power, just turn my brain off and lazily follow survivors around for an M1 attack.

I go from 1 gen to the next until I find someone. I follow them through every window, unless a very obvious shortcut is available. I disrespect pallets. I put my red stain on the survivor for about 2 seconds before swinging. Hook. Repeat.

Whatever else happens, happens. I don't sweat flashlight blinds or try to show any emotion. I keep calm and keep trucking along like a bot.

• MrJack20252
    MrJack20252 Member Posts: 390

try to laugh at it when something happens that would normally piss you off, this is what I have adopted as a method to keep calm while playing Killer.

I basically became the Joker

"Do you think it is funny to eat every pallet / DS / Flashlight / Flashbang in the map?"

Me: "And i'm tired pretending it is not"

• ketz
    ketz Member Posts: 2

I know its easy to talk but not to do just chill its a game i used to stress myself alot aswell and when i stress myself i sometimes think "ah even if i tried i could nt get that kill" even if i could i just feel better lol but eitherways its just game mate dont gotta get stressed

• rvzrvzrvz
    rvzrvzrvz Member Posts: 940
    edited June 2022

Lol are you playing Myers ? My only advice don't chase too much if someone is actually good or in a very safe tile, don't waste time go patrol your gens and find who's the weakest link in the team, Wraith is pretty good for that you can stop chasing go stealth mode and find someone else very quiclkly

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,064

I'd suggest finding a meme build you like and play it to de-stress. Something that may not get you the win, but is still fun to do.

For example I have my "Stupid Freddy Build" (Distressing, Infectious Fright, Dark Devotion, BBQ [for points]).

Given these perks run completely counter to Freddy's ability to render survivors Oblivious, it's far from the most effective build, but it's always funny when I actually see Infectious work, Distressing helps with max bloodpoint gains, and Dark Devotion is a big "for fun" perk for me anyway.

Other alternatives are Smolface (Ghost Face but you only chase survivors crouched), Drift King Billy (equip Hillbilly with turn addons and run laps around the map) and so on.

My general philosophy for killer games is "be ready to sweat, hope to screw around"

• gaygayhomogay
    gaygayhomogay Member Posts: 6

i play wraith, nemesis and myers but i havent had luck with any of them recently, i got 4ks on the three of them for a good while but i just keep getting stuck with really toxic people and it just stresses me out a lot more than the game already does, but thank you

• dreamsy10
    dreamsy10 Member Posts: 142

Just learn to don't care, even if you are competitive player. Just dbd is not properly balanced, no matter what, survivors are the power role in this game. Their objective is way faster than killer's objective (12 hooks which is almost impossible if you go against decent survivors).

+ if you see that you're going against toxic people, just hide the chat and no matter if you win or lose, just leave instead of watching or responding in the chat to them.

I would suggest learning better killers, myers is very outdated, loopable and against toxic bullies he will have very hard time... therefore, blight, nurse, pyramid, oni, spirit even huntress if you have good aim.

For example i'm a nurse main but i play legion after the buff, and i enjoy it pretty much, and the 5 hits are so satisfying.

• Jarky
    Jarky Member Posts: 599

Some of this will change with practice and just time. Even after I provide some of my own personal techniques, it's not going to be something you can just 'switch off' in one game.

One of the biggest things is mentality - any recent competitive game out there, you're not going to be able to win every single game, it's just impossible, so some of it is just accepting that you WILL lose, and sometimes you WILL lose badly. On the flip side of that, however, is that you will also win and sometimes you will win so hard you'll dominate - in all these scenarios, someone else is on the opposite end of the coin you're currently on, i.e. when you're dominating a match, that other side is losing badly but human nature makes us remember bad experiences more than good ones.

On the ones where you're losing, try to focus on what you could have done better - because that's another important thing, none of us are immune from mistakes. I've played this game for 3000+ hours for 6 years and I still make mistakes, all the time. Sometimes it's ones I even know I shouldn't be making because they're simple, but I'm human and it happens. I can always learn how to be better.

Another thing is also accepting that DBD is a game that has RNG elements - sometimes the map you're on isn't going to favour your side, some stuff is not always in your control. That doesn't mean you can't win that match, it just means there's elements of the game that aren't always going to be in your favour as that's the nature of RNG.

I echo Zeidokter has said above - if you're feeling yourself getting frustrated, change what you want to do and go for a 'fun' build or a 'meme' build - this is a game where you're EXPECTING the survivors to escape in, but you wanna try something out, or have some fun with some perks. I do 'Backpack Demo' sometimes - Mad Grit, Agi, Starstruck, Iron Grasp. With the build loadouts they've added recently, it's even easier now to just chuck a fun build in Slot 3 and give it a go.

Also when it comes to survivors teabagging or clicking at you, or likewise a killer facecamping you, this comes down to mentality again unfortunately - not something you can change over night, it's something you have to build yourself up to not find frustrating. It's difficult for me to provide any techniques for that other than just say that it's someone pressing a key/button many miles away from you who you don't know or even will likely not speak to/see again. Sure their intent may be to frustrate you but try your best to reduce it to this - it's just a button click from a stranger. Them frustrating you is what will distract you from concentrating on the match so try your best to focus on yourself.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,949

Take the game as a lesson, training in taking it easy. try to see how long you can keep your calm.

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259
    edited June 2022

“ggwp” —> [Leave Match]

When you don’t get flustered at the end, or give them time to type something which will fluster you, then you can treat each game as a training match. “These guys are good. Let’s see if I can counter a juke by backpedalling.” Did it work? Did it not? Oh well, “ggwp” —> [Leave Match] and on to the next. It’s all about mindset!