The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why did Blood Echo never Become Meta?

Blood Echo - When hooking a survivor, all other injured survivors suffer from Hemorrhage and ‘Exhaustion’ status effect for 45 seconds. (Blood Echo has a 60 second cooldown)

———

I mean, if the Dead Hard meta was so strong, how come Killers didn’t naturally start using Blood Echo, especially since most of us used BBQ anyways. We could have seen the injured survivor(s) and gone to kill one of them without the worry of DH.

Was it the timer? The cooldown? Because several Killers have exhaustion add-ons that could be used instead?

I was just curious on why Blood Echo never really became more popular during the DH meta, especially after the buff to hemorrhage. I mean I know Legion mains were putting this perk to use but I feel like it considering the 45 seconds of no dead hard, that this would of been the best time for this perk to shine but I hardly saw it.

Comments

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

"Huh, Second Wind/Renewal sounds interesting, who wouldn't want to heal back midgame?"

*reads the triggering conditions.*

*re-reads them because this is all way too complicated*

*re-re-reads if something was missed*

"Well, I guess not..."

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

I think the cooldown is one reason but I think it has more to do with the skill of the killer.

Most high MMR killers know you need to split pressure. Chasing only 1 person will lose you a match. So if all your doing is getting one person injured then hooked, your not going to get any perk value.

• lemonsway
    lemonsway Member Posts: 1,169

Because without it's restrictions Nurse is the killer that would make every survivor hate the Perk. She can injure anyone faster than any other killer thus the perk would be extremely valuable.

If you ever wonder why killer perks are made with safe numbers it's because they thought about what Nurse would look like if the Perk was any stronger.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557

"Blood Echo has a 60 second cooldown"

• GreenDemo
    GreenDemo Member Posts: 276

It's too hard to apply on some killers, I don't mind the cooldown that much... if I'm a legion/plauge !!! :/

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

If they would remove the injured condition and lower the cooldown then it would be a perfect anti exhaustion perk

• Remedicist
    Remedicist Member Posts: 1,096

The cooldown was quite a problem. But in my opinion, the perk was only really good on Legion and Plague because otherwise most survivors can heal before the perk affects them.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,434

They should make it a scourge hook with 45 second cooldown and 45 second duration that works on everyone regardless of health states. That would be fitting.

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,926

Cause you can't consistently relialibly injure all Survivors unless you are Legion or Plague. You do see it on them 2 from time to time.

But most of it's value comes from injuring all Survivors rather quickly.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

Mostly the cooldown

But also the healing meta meant survivors would never be injured when it proced unless you were legion or plague

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

The cooldown and boons

Tbh it shouldn't have a cooldown, if survivors are getting downed that fast, haemorrhage and exhaustion are the least of your worries

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,184

For similar reasons surge/jolt didn't become meta.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

I mean, you could be downed that fast because of the perk. Especially because other exhaustion perks, like Fearmonger, can pause the timer untill the gen is done. So apply something like Ruin, Blood Echo, Thanatophobia and Fearmonger on Nurse or Blight, and survivors are not going to be able to survive.

You could argue that survivors would be too exhaustion reliant, but thats like arguing Nurses are too reliant on recharge/blink distance addons, or Blights being too reliant on Alchemist Ring or Adrenaline Vial. If all those issues on Nurse and Blight(and a few other killers, like MD ring on Spirit) were removed so that survivors didnt need exhaustion perks against killers to stand a chance and their main use would be to gain distance last second or before chase, then Blood Echo's cooldown could be gone with ease.

But right now, without Sprintburst, Lithe, DH or Balanced Landing, you're not gonna last against certain killers consistently, while the lower tier killers end up losing consistently because of exhaustion perks. Once the devs create a healthy environment where exhaustion perks arent needed against S-tier, so that exhaustion perks can be nerfed a bit to indirectly improve gameplay for C and D tier killers.

• Yffriium
    Yffriium Member Posts: 140
    edited June 2022
    1. Cooldown requirement means that if you hook survivors too fast you won't get value from the perk
    2. Injured requirement means you already need to be doing somewhat well in order to get value from the perk
    3. Hemorrhage effect is not that great & can be acquired from Sloppy Butcher, which also applies Mangled so it is oftentimes a better substitute
    4. Exhausted status effect does nothing against survivors without exhaustion perks
    5. Even if you do get value from the perk, you get no indication that you received value. You don't really "see" when the survivor does not use their exhaustion perk.

For these reasons, Blood Echo will likely not find popularity.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited June 2022

With how meta Exhaustion perks are you can basically guarantee there will always be 4 of them in every single game which you would think means killer Exhaustion perks would be meta as well right?

Well the issue is that most killer Exhaustion perks are just way too gimmicky and not practical. Most of them have unnecessarily long cooldowns, too short of duration applied Exhaustion or just simply too situational. This is also kind of what happened to Exhaustion addons as well, 5 seconds of Exhaustion is completely worthless against any half competent survivor. You get little pauses mid loop and you can almost always remove it before it's needed.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,182

It only provides real value against people who do not react properly to the perk/choose to stay injured the entire game. In that way perhaps Legion and Plague could get value out of it, but for anyone else the answer is to literally heal up/avoid the killer if you were the last one he encountered. Throw in needing to esentially tunnel to get value out of the perk(E.G. You get first down, hook, survivor gets saved just as you hook the second lets say and it goes off. Now you have to choose to either find survivor A, who got hooked first, and injure/down him before 45 seconds are up or if you just get into another chase your perk goes on cooldown and provides zero value. Slap on a long cooldown too and it goes into the bad/extremely situational perk pile.

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274

It ONLY effects injured players, ONLY when you hook someone, ONLY for a short time, and ONLY if the perk is off cooldown.

Removing the cooldown only shaves off a bit of those 'ONLY' drawbacks.

~

Upon hooking a survivor, injured survivors scream (Not revealing their location) and suffer from Hemorrhage and Exhausted for 16/24/32 seconds.

When the duration ends, survivors that are affected by this perk and are still injured scream, revealing their location.

This effect can stack.

~

By simply removing the cooldown and letting the effect stack on consecutive hooks, the perk rewards those who leave the hook to rapidly pressure survivors. The Oni is the debut killer for this perk, and it should best compliment his snowball playstyle. As it stands, the lackluster value and lengthy cooldown make this perk difficult to work with – by making it stack consecutively, it becomes a ‘rich get richer’ perk. The direct counter is healing – remaining healthy and playing the game safe, much like when facing an Oni in general, counters the perk. Buying time for other survivors to heal and repair by sacrificing pallets – by refusing to trade health states, this perk becomes much less useful. It is only powerful on a killer that is able to re-acquire their prey within seconds of a hook action and push them to the ground quickly. As the game drags on, applying pressure this way becomes increasingly valuable to the killer – while survivors must make the choice to heal up or try to rush objectives to escape before their health and hook states are burned through. It’s a very simple change that completely shifts the paradigm and nature of the perk and how people interact with it on both sides.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Because CoH

• PleassBuiltInNoed
    PleassBuiltInNoed Member Posts: 618

good on plague, other than that there are way too many restrictions

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,352

Most killers struggle to keep multiple survivors injured long enough to get value from Blood Echo unless they are already winning the match.

The only killers who can really reliably use Blood Echo are Legion and Plague who can keep survivors injured for long period of times, but even then Blood Echo on them isn't that effective due to the cooldown on Blood Echo and that regression/slowdown perks are just more effective.

• MB666
    MB666 Member Posts: 968

the cooldown is more longer than the penalty for the survivor and thats weird and sad for a perk that just work by hooking someone and if the survivors are injured in that moment.

• MilManson
    MilManson Member Posts: 939

Because of the healing meta.