Proxy camping isnt a tactic?

It baffles me when I see people complain about it because its a super valid way to play. Consider the following :

U have 1 survivor on hook, and so someone else will come for the unhook. As a killer what will u choose to do: leave the hook in order to potentially find someone else to chase and so giving a free unhook to the survivor and losing all your momentum because most maps are badly designed, or wait for the survivor that comes for the unhook (not facecamping but trying to find a position with line of site in order to spot people) and chase them potentionally getting another down and forcing the rest of the survivors to stop doing gens altogether and come for the unhook. Now in the instance that the rest of the survivors wanna push gens instead of unhooking thats not the killer's fault for proxy camping but the survivors' fault for ignoring the hooked survivor.

If u want the killer to completely leave the hook give them some incentive to do it, like devour hope tries to do but fails because of it being a hex totem that can be cleansed at the start of the game and the general totems spawns.

But honestly face camping is cringe and the killers who resort to it are generally trash or just new players

Comments

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,833

If that's what they're getting at then I agree. It's boring, but still a legitimate and valid tactic all the same.

• Ksekwlothreftis
    Ksekwlothreftis Member Posts: 63

I agree with u. Positioning does matter and u shouldnt always proxy camp. I was just saying that its a valid tactic that shouldnt get that much hate

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224

Put yourself in the survivor's shoes; it is not so hard to understand. It is valid but a low-skill tactic in most situations. It is always easier to defend than hunt.

It is about the BP for me, so killing them all is not as important as putting on a good show of skill and game knowledge. Pulling off a lunge with just the tip at a pallet, or moonwalking a tile and winning the mind game.

• Moto_girl_bg
    Moto_girl_bg Member Posts: 22

Everyone who is camping is big noob for me, especially people who play with chainsaw or Michael Mayers with one shot and camp all time. That reminds me one name I remember some pc player name Bolt, only camp with Michael Mayers and one shot, no skills at all and bot movement. Good killer is not camper and depending on one shot only

• Biscuits
    Biscuits Member Posts: 1,097

I try not to proxy or even camp to try and make the game as fair as possible for the survivors. But, if I smell a SWF, and trust me they tend to reek, proxy/camping tends to be your only option. Having your movements called out after every hook, is going to make it impossible to find someone after every hook. You are forced to just wait for one of them to show up to unhook.

• Moto_girl_bg

Yes, I say because I play as killer and survivor too, I don't say only as survivor opinion, is more interesting to rush all and I use perk only for one shot after all gens are repaired so it's fair for all, I still succeed kill them even in end of the game without camping.

• Biscuits

I get that camping first hooks can be really unfun and quite irritating. But, a lot of times in this game, camping is your only way back into a win. And trust me there are plenty of times where I could have camped to secure a win but I gave them another chance. It is without a doubt a tactic, and a risky one, as there are several ways to just counter or ignore it. That's why it works so well against SWFs, they won't ignore it, they will throw the game to unhook their friend.

• Moto_girl_bg

Yeah but agree for example now I was playing vs chainsaw who only camp one guy on hook and stay all time with him only to try one shot all, and this for me is noob playstyle, even if its tactics, because show no skills only waiting for one shot. Everyone can play like this u know. I noticed this BTW only on ppl who use chainsaw or leather face. I play with trickster, less op killer and still kill ppl with build and not camping.

• Ksekwlothreftis

I already said that face camping is a trash method of playing. Proxy camping and face camping are not the same. Face camping is used by people that either are new to the game or generally lacking in skill. I used to play a lot of bubba a couple months ago and even against swfs i didnt face camp.

• Biscuits

In my opinion that is more of a game design flaw than the Billys fault. One hit downs should not work within a certain radius of hooked survivors. I don't get how the Twins and Artists powers don't work next to hook, but Bubba can just kill everyone around the hook and go through borrowed time with one chainsaw sweep.

• GiveMeTheBox
    GiveMeTheBox Member Posts: 331

It's a boring and unskilled tactic, but it's a legitimate tactic nonetheless

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

That's why I only proxy camp with Hag or Demo because I can get back to the hooks quicker if I notice a unhook rescue going in

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Like all tactics and strategies; they are only effective when applied intelligently. I have seen many killers use these methods poorly and received results to match.

• rvzrvzrvz
    rvzrvzrvz Member Posts: 940

No it's not new players or lacking in skill high rank is full of hook campers, anyone with half a brain can reach high rank by camping and playing bubba/using NOED.

"Smart" ones also use corrupt-deadlock and everything else they can to slow you down, facecamp bubba is gamebreaking you can make sure someone die on his first hook with no counter

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,833

Eh, you should play how you want but always expect salt from the opposition. It's part and parcel of online gaming.

• NightmareKT
    NightmareKT Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2022
  • M4dBoOmr
    M4dBoOmr Member Posts: 598
    edited July 2022

i think we need to talk about proxy-genning, i think its kinda low skilled of a survivor to wait close to a gen only to continue repairing when the killer is not close anymore, its a cheap tactic!

the survivor should move to a different Gen after the killer kicks it

• VoidOfMe
    VoidOfMe Member Posts: 416

what baffles me is people asking stupid questions like: Why do survivors hate proxy camp/face camp/tunelling?

I'm a main killer but I also play survivor and I totally understand the frustation of a strong SWF that won't give you any kills and teabag you at the gate==, but when you're a killer in that situation you can still play the game. You can still run around, kicking pallets, chasing others, kicking gens, hooking someone, etc etc etc. You'll still lose the game, but it's a game you've played.

Now when you're a survivor that got downed in the beginning of the game you'll be on that hook until the end of the game. Does that sound like that survivor played the game? Does that sound fun to you?

So I don't think there is a fair comparison to SWF and poxycamp/face camp, especially if you do it to tunnel the unhooked person. I don't do it as a killer, I hate when they do it to me as a survivor. That's why.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

I see little difference between face camping and proxy camping. I think either are legit strategies as the game progresses. In the early game, it's pretty limpdick though.

• Ksekwlothreftis

If u really think part of the enjoyment of playing killer is breaking gens and pallets u need to get better at killer lol.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162
  • Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

Tbh, I never understood the hatred of proxy camping, as it is sorta essential to playing the game. Face camping is dumb and no one likes it, thats a given, but proxy camping is like getting angry at survivors for dropping a palett, ie its just so integral to the game.

Yeah, sometimes there are situations were you know that some survivor is at a far away gen and you can leave a hook and just go there, but in most cases you also know that someone will come for the rescue and you keep an eye on the hook while roaming around.

• VoidOfMe
    edited July 2022

did I say it was fun? can you show me tho where I said it was a fun game for the killer?

i think I was clear when I said "the killer still could play the game, the survivor camped and tuneled, NOT."

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152

Yes and you explicitly pointed out

Does that sound like that survivor played the game? Does that sound fun to you?

But for killer only

You'll still lose the game, but it's a game you've played.

And left any question about fun for killer out in that scenario, being obscure.

Just being able to move and interact isn't equal to fun.

And a killer that's getting creamed by a bored swf does not only not have fun but also feels helpless, powerless, humiliated, frustrated, made fun of and bullied in the solo role that is "supposed" to dominate individuals of the group faction.

And insult to injury, while a survivor is done after 2 minutes on hook, the killer that gets led by the nose by a swf (of better skill/broken matchmaking) has to wait until the survivor finally fixed those 5 gens to initiate EGC or disconnect and is to a certain extent at the mercy of the survivors until then.

And this is especially true for new players.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Proxy camp while protecting a three gen, if you can get that scenario. That is smart killer play and good strategy.

If you are a Bubba who is not the best in chase facecamping is probably your best strategy. Play to your strengths.

• VoidOfMe

Nah, you're reaching.

I said STILL PLAYED THE GAME =/= STILL HAD FUN

Try again.