Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Block gens for a time after one is completed

Gen speeds, a topic brought up many times by both sides and a problem that is gradually being dealt with...

Making gens take longer overall is one way to slow them down but you can only do this by so much, I doubt survivors would be happy with gens taking 120 seconds for example, so why not implement a different means of slowdown?

This idea came out of nowhere and I haven't thought through the numbers properly as of yet but even something like:

"Whenever a generator is completed the Entity reacts by blocking all non-completed gens for (maybe 10-20?) seconds."

This would serve to tackle gens going by too fast without inflating gen times any further and giving killers the chance to react to a gen being completed.

Comments

• Jarky
    Jarky Member Posts: 599

I agree that just straight making gens take longer than 90 seconds at this point would be a frustrating and non-interactive way to increase objective times but I'm unsure if blocking all generators when one is completed is the right answer either.

Doing this in some respects would buff camping as you could camp a survivor and know for (x) seconds no objectives are getting done after one is completed.

It also reduces the potential interactivity between the killer and survivor as it will encourage the survivor to walk off and hide near the blocked generator and the killer (if they're not camping) will take time to look for them instead. Whilst stealth is valid gameplay, it's currently a choice a survivor makes if a killer is approaching a generator, whereas I think this somewhat makes that choice the more 'correct' one to do. Ultimately, I think gameplay design choices that encourage survivor/killer interactivity (i.e chases) are more interesting than encouraging hiding.

I also think from a gameplay interactivity perspective, it's somewhat frustrating to be working on a gen and have it just be blocked because of your team-mates action. I appreciate this is already a perk (Deadlock), but this extends it to all generators rather than just 1.

• Juniper_Autumn
    Juniper_Autumn Member Posts: 17

I must admit I am guilty of the hiding when the killer gets closer style of play so did not see that as a negative, but I did not even think about the idea of a killer camping knowing with full certainty they have a length of time of safety, damn.

• CrimsonMothKing
    CrimsonMothKing Member Posts: 414

Pinhead has a perk called Deadlock where, once a gen has been completed, the gen with the most progress is blocked for 30 seconds.

• Juniper_Autumn

Yes Deadlock does exist but the generator problem cannot be fixed with reliance on perks as that is why there is the current problem of such a small number of perks being used all of the time, because they are needed to give yourself any sort of fighting chance.

Something fundamental needs to be adjusted in order to free up killers to change their builds, focusing more on information gathering or even sheer brutality rather than requiring gen slowdown to stand a chance.

• Jarky
    Jarky Member Posts: 599
    edited July 2022

To be clear, I don't think it's a negative for your playstyle to be hiding when the killer approaches a generator (or in general).

I absolutely think that's a valid and decent strategy, as it wastes the killer's time out of chase, which buys your team time. I just think currently you have a more interesting gameplay choice as a survivor when the generators aren't blocked which is "Do I carry on progressing this generator with the killer approaching and risk the chase" or "Do I hide, and does the approaching killer have things like Pop, or other regression kicking perks", etc.

If they get blocked automatically, the survivor's choice becomes less varied, which I think from a gameplay perspective is less 'exciting' so to speak.

• Juniper_Autumn
    edited July 2022

Ah that does make way more sense actually and you are right it would be a tragedy to take that interaction potential away with more railroading mechanics.

Maybe instead it could be something more focused on the killer's ability to react to generators? Either when one is completed or a survivor is hooked or some other such interaction the killers gains info (either via aura's or notification) base kit that x generators have people on them or have progress or something, that way the killer can choose to attack those generators or not depending on circumstance?

Very much just throwing ideas out to see what sticks honestly.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,235

Well, to ensure that survivors do a "camp and tunnel free" "12hook game", like often suggested/expected of killers, gens would need to be blocked for every 37.5charges done in total (450/12). But that number doesnt take the assymetrical design of gen regress in account. So blocking/stalling gens might be too strong or weak lol.

• Juniper_Autumn

Definitely agreed with the secondary objective point, would make the gameplay far more interesting and could even completely change the value of some perks, while searching for parts being able to avoid setting birds off or managing to walk around faster to avoid detection suddenly becomes more valuable, hell even perks that are memed like autodidact while become stronger as games go on longer (massive autodidact fan and user here so I'm all for that)