A way to have free Auric Cells but still make them have value

It can be infuriating to go through the store and find an amazing cosmetic only to find out you can only get it with Auric Cells. I came up with a way to make them still more convenient to buy however you can still get them through gameplay. Basically for every game you play you get 1 Auric Cell, at first this seems like a lot however it would take such an insane amount of time to get a large amount they would still have their value however if a player was determined enough they could still get the amount they need.

Comments

• Big_Booty_Jane
    Big_Booty_Jane Member Posts: 13

Honestly that's quite an interesting idea you've got going on. It makes sense, support the game by continuous gameplay or players can choose to purchase a cosmetic on the spot. And since it would take quite a while to build up a good amount of Auric Cells, they would still have value. I'm a sucker for their cosmetic pieces too, but I would be broke if I got all the ones I have my eyes on. I see it as a good compromise.

You know they do say the best things in life are free.

On the other hand, I do see why Auric Cells have a price, that being the licensed characters-which I'm sure they can't give out for free.

• SekiSeki
    SekiSeki Member Posts: 516

Time to afk farm my Huntress cosmetics.

Nah, I like the idea though.

• HeehoRacketeer
    HeehoRacketeer Member Posts: 90

"Making the premium currency obtainable for free" is an idea that will never happen, sadly.

I can understand that the licensed content can only be bought with the "paid-for" currency, but why are there cosmetics that can only be bought with the paid-for currency? And worst: why are many of them double the price of licensed character? That makes 0 sense.

As for your idea: it would be a wicked grind for sure. But I'm sure some people wouldn't mind since it's a passive grind just for playing the game.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,236
    edited July 2022

There's a reason we have three distinct currencies. Iridescent Shards the are 'premium but also for free' currency. If they're going to give out any, then it'll be those, and they do via levelling up.

The problem with giving Auric Cells for free is that they can be used to purchased licensed content. This would need to be worked into all of their licensing agreements. It's fairly safe to assume the existing agreements don't cover their content being purchased via free currencies at the moment.

I completely agree that they should give out more Iridescent Shards though, perhaps a bigger windfall on hitting Devotion levels, or via the free track of the rift at higher stages.

Almost all of the original, non-licensed content that is Auric Cell only, is usually only that way for a limited time. It's new content, so they want players to pay for it. Eventually it becomes available for Iridescent Shards as well.

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383

@Seraphor Almost all of the original, non-licensed content that is Auric Cell only, is usually only that way for a limited time. It's new content, so they want players to pay for it. Eventually it becomes available for Iridescent Shards as well.

How come I can't think of any examples? The only ones that come to mind are Rift recolors.