How would you fix the 3-gen stalemates to make it fair for both sides?

Nos37
Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142
edited July 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

Maybe, after some length of time where gens are not completed, nor survivors are hooked...

• The 3 remaining gens are randomly swapped with other completed gens, re-shuffling the board
  • The survivors' location bubbles (or killer instincts) are shown to the killer briefly to get the game rolling again for both sides

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142
    edited July 2022

I'm not saying the 3-gen strat is unfair or un-counterable.

I'm talking about the survivors hiding and refusing to do gens, or the killer not committing to chases and letting the survivors run away, heal up, and come back. The actual, boring-for-both-sides, stalemate part...

• DY86
    DY86 Member Posts: 570

I know what u mean bro, but it simply wouldn’t work. The only viable counterplay is not get locked into a 3 gen. The killer wants the win just as much as the survivors so if they have to patrol that 3gen its only fair u know.

that being said, the other day I spectated the last 2 survs remaining, the killer was heavily patrolling the 3gen and wouldn’t commit so they decided to hide inside a locker and wait for the killer to dc….which he did

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,409

There are rare gen spawns that can be pretty egregious, but other than that, there is usually enough opportunity for survivors to split and win the war of attrition.

• TatsuiChiyo
    TatsuiChiyo Member Posts: 700

Bar the odd game where all the gens perfectly align, 3 gens are almost always on the fault of Survivors. They either fix all gens on one side, or Survivors run Killers through spots where there are unfinished gens and not near completed gens. When a Killer does realize they have a 3 gen, its completely the right call to defend it. If as a Survivor you knew there was a spot that you could 100% guarantee the Killer would never be in, wouldn't you remain there?

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

No such thing as a stalemate with gens. This only happens when survivors are too scared or slow to tap the gen once the killer starts to walk away. Survivor repairs out pace regression. Even with only 2 Survivors, if both tap the gens furthest from each other the killer cannot stop it.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

3-gens are the survivors fault

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203

As a Killer, you have no reason to leave the area.

But as someone said, it's on the Survivors to check what generators are done before starting one. Or to go to the middle area at the start. But solo Q tend to stay on one side all together then discovering the three generators situation. Their fault. If I see my teammates doing the shack generator, for instance, I'm going to run doing the opposite side gen. People love to start with the nearest gen then doing the one from two meters away instead of finding a new gen somwhere else.

• AJStyIez
    AJStyIez Member Posts: 419
    edited July 2022

After 3-4 minutes without at least X amount of gen progress being made in a 3-gen scenario the Killer should get Killer Instinct until they successfully land 1 hit or Survivors should all get Exposed for the duration of the match. This would probably encourage the Killer to get the match over with for both sides instead of allowing the Survivors to run and reset and waste each other's time while providing Survivors a chance as long as they're actively trying to play and not griefing by hiding in lockers across the map. Sure, I've had games where we were able to finesse our way out of tough 3-gens but it's very time consuming and just feels kinda stat-paddy on both sides

No bias, but 3-gens 99% of the time are Survivor's fault. There's the occasional game where a killer can set up shop early but even then good players regularly power through this by playing ping-pong

Post edited by AJStyIez on
  • Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,615

it's a game mechanic issue (one of many of them)... in that case survivors should be FORCED to try to fix a gen... if they refuse to work on gen and stay hidden for the entire trial well, this is considered taking the game hostage

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152

20 or 30 minute trial time limit with forced egc start but still closed and powered doors.

Survivor still have a chance to leave if the maybe start on both gates simultaneously or with bad rng the killer can protect both.

And the trial can't go on for eternity but has a fixed ending.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

In the situation they're talking about, the killers are refusing to risk their gens and the survivors are refusing to risk their lives. Both won't commit. So it just goes on forever. It'd be cool if it there was some kind of failsafe for it, because it definitely is possible to force.

If the survivors keep getting pushed off and don't voluntarily kill themselves for a few extra percent on the gen, I don't blame them for no gens getting done in a timely manner.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

If survivors aren't doing anything to progress the game, just hiding, then the entity should instantly eat them after a while

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,059

While you are correct, a Killer can also hold a game hostage if they never commit to a chase and just scare Survivors away from the Gens. At some points the Survivors have to stop hiding and try to do Gens and at some point the Killer has to commit to a chase instead of just pushing the Survivors away.

@Topic:

While it is indeed a problem that can occur when one of the sides does not want the game to end (as explained above), I dont think that you can fix anything without making it pretty unfair. Because 99% of the time it is the Survivors fault if they end up in a 3-Gen. Some Killers play on a 3-Gen, but from my experience, this happens quite rarely. And even more rare that there are actual builds to foce a 3-Gen.

• Tostapane

the solution is simple... set a time limit for each game... once that time expires, all the survivors that are still in the map will be sacrificed

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

That would be fine.

I don't know if it would inspire some very

Very

Very boring strategies though.

• Tostapane

in that instance the devs could always take a look at the problematics and fix them... at least in that way it can be prevented a very boring match

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,591

The first time I got 3-genned was years ago. I still remember : Lery, Doctor, was playing with a friend.

I've never made that mistake again. (Although to my dismay, random teammates did)

I suggest you endeavor to do the same.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

See I had that happen but I was killer and had a perfect 3 Gen as Vommy Mommy but never dced...the match lasted for a hour before the Survivors gave up and stood by hooks to be sacrificed

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,591

Some other game has a mechanic like that. If there is no interaction between opposing sides for a while, the game provides a way to track through walls.

• VikingDragonXii
  • VikingDragonXii

Mandy has already covered that by saying a Killer protecting a 3gen and not giving chase isn't holding the game hostage because they are fulfilling thier objective to keep survivors from fixing the gens. It may be boring but I'm the end it's the Survivors fault for putting themselves into that situation

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,059
    edited July 2022

I am 100% sure the opposite was stated. Otherwise I am very happy to see a quote.

• Entitled_survivor
    Entitled_survivor Member Posts: 828

How about you pay attention to where the 3 gen is and try to complete one of those gens early on ?

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,201

I think this is overcomplicating things and the best course of action is to just "not get a 3-gen". Obviously some times that's more in the killers control than the survivors (not out of your control, if it happens intentionally then you got outplayed).

What they could do is review spawn conditions to prevent the more ridiculous 3-gens where you can literally see all three at the same time.

• Onyx
    Onyx Member Posts: 214

But killers also have the ability to force a 3-gen, which I don't see as survivors ######### up really, some killers are just that good at it. What do you do in those scenarios where, if you try to break the 3-gen, the killer just constantly pushes you away. And with the new upcoming Overcharge meta, trying to apply pressure and not 3-gen yourself when a killer forces it isn't exactly viable anymore.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,201
    edited July 2022

Survivors can equally prevent a 3-gen by coordinating gens though. In both cases, it's simply a case of one side out-playing the other.

• SuzuKR
    SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910

It is on the survivors to break the 3-gen. It does not matter how suicidal it is, the survivors are required to attempt to do the generators. Getting pushed off is fine, but you cannot avoid doing them entirely. The killer is not obligated to follow an obvious bait away from the setup. It is the result of the survivors' failure to prevent the 3-gen/the killer's success in setting it up.

Also, either way, regardless, a 3-gen is unwinnable for the killer if survivors take turns chipping at different gens simultaneously. When the killer comes for them, run away so they can’t afford to chase. And during that, the others progress the other gens. And as such, the war of attrition will inevitably go to the survivors.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,294

Its still not a problem because the killer did a good job applying pressure and should be rewarded for it.

• DY86

I know right? Its pretty ######### tbh cause most of the time its the survs fault for leaving a 3gen. So just hiding forever is kinda dumb instead of just hopping the next match

• DY86

I feel like there should be a time limit in case of such stalemates u know. But it would have to be well thought out so no one can take unfair advantage out of it. U know, so no one would force that outcome on purpose

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,687

Just add a 18-minute time limit to the match after which the EGC begins instantly, EGC progresses at a slowed rate until the generators are completed. This means a match cannot go on longer than 24 minutes

Very few matches reach 18 minutes long and even the ones that do an additional 6 minutes is more than enough time to wrap up if the match is even remotely close. The number of times when the EGC can shift a killer's losing game into a survivor's winning game would be such a minute number of edge cases that it's not a problem.