Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

How long should the average chase last in where both killer and survivor are happy?

Lyonic
Lyonic Member Posts: 224

I would like to know how long you think a "fair" chase should last for before dying state. For science.

Thanks guys!

Answers

• Lyonic

I did'nt mention skill so im afraid its not part of the question.

So as an example answer:

"I'm killer main and I feel 90 seconds is fair"

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Since there is time it takes to search for survivor, probably something like half of generator times.

45 seconds doesn't seems that bad for either perspective imo.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,205

For a killer, you don't want a chase lasting any longer than 60 seconds, that's when you stop gaining BP. But it's a good rule of thumb anyway. If a chase lasts longer than 60s, drop it and try someone else.

Ultimately any length of chase is 'fair' so long as it's a reflection of the relative skill of those players. If a survivor isn't good at looping or reading killer movements, then you should expect a short chase, and vice versa.

• TheLastHook
    TheLastHook Member Posts: 495
    edited July 2022

Given you have to search for the survivor, hit, clean your weapon, chase and hit and then pick up and bring to the hook anything past 20s is already really bad for a Killer.

If they unhook the Survivor and you have to chase them all over again you have this:

Up to 6 hits for 3 hooks. That is three chases... because you know "tunneling":

• 20s per chase would be 60s and a generator is done in ~90s.
    • +5 to bring the Survivor to the hook (+15s total or more)
    • +2s to pick the Survivor from the ground (+6s extra)

If they body block, you fail to pick up near a vault location,etc. That´s extra 20s easily.

And so, if a chase lasts more than 20s you can pretty much give up against a SWF team coordinated doing gens, if Survivors are overly altruistic and you let them, you are going to lose, too.

However:

• If the Survivors are not very good, you can over extend up to 30s but you will have to proxy camp.
    • If Survivors do gens in parallel, and they keep at it, they will be doing three generators for a single kill.

But otherwise with a chase of 20s you will be spending 324s chasing four Survivors and generators are completed in 360s - that is reasonably tight for both Killers and Survivors that are not playing using voice communications.

• cluxdx
    cluxdx Member Posts: 168

You can't really judge what is a "fair" chase time because it depends drastically on what killer you're playing. For example, Nurse is all 1v1. She cannot pressure a survivor without chasing them, so you should end all of your chases in under 30 seconds, ideally shooting for around 20.

On the other hand, Pinhead has a decent amount of game slowdown because of the Lament Configuration and Chain Hunt, so he has room to have longer chases. He might be fine with a chase as long as 40 seconds even during Chain Hunt because people who are on gens are slowed by the chains, and someone is more than likely off gens looking for the Lament Configuration.

Therein lies the core issue with the "fair chase" question — there are multiple different classifications of killers, and many killers fall into a combination of those various categories. As a result, there really is no one answer to your question. Generally speaking, if a killer is underperforming you have to try and extrapolate as to why; chase time is not the one core metric that determines killer balance.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

Fast enough to keep up with gens. Fast chases and faster gens is just as bad as long chases with unmoving gens. This is one of those balance perspectives that is nearly impossible to balance due to the sheer amount of variables involved, including the skill and efficiency of all players involved. For how op everyone thinks clown's pinky finger is, he can still lose 3-4 gens in as many chases very easily. Likewise the artist can force DMS on gens every single hook to slow things to a crawl making chase length have far less impact when a good chunk of gen time is denied. The variety in killer playstyles/powers/even just basic stats like move speed are all just one factor into the equation.

Generally if 2-3 gens are finished when the first down happens, the gens are going far too fast for the pace of the match. likewise if someone dies or the killer has a nice catalogue of hooks and there are still 5 gens left, they're going far too slow for the match. There isn't really a universal answer, just a relative one within each match.

• Bennett_They1Them
    Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513

Depends.

If I mess up against a billy and the chase ends immediately, that feels great for him and gets a self-deprecating laugh from me.

Same thing against a face-camping bubba? eh, not so much.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

This is clown math.

If 90 seconds is fair and you need 12 hooks

THAT MEANS YOUR GAMES HAVE TO LAST AT MINIMUM 18 MINUTES FOR A 4K

Games on average last about 5 to 10 minutes.

You're 8 minutes over time.

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,133

That's mainly because the survivors are a group of people, their mistakes can be mended by the support of their teammates, a killer's mistakes, or by their own skill. Your mistakes as a killer have to be fixed by the survivors being bad or by your own skill.

• KolbyKolbyKolby
    KolbyKolbyKolby Member Posts: 623

When I'm killer I don't like my chases to last more than 30 or 40 seconds for a down.

When I'm survivor I prefer my chases to be 8 or 9 minutes.

• MadEyePopo
    MadEyePopo Member Posts: 138
    edited July 2022

If I get to Bloodlust II on any of the health states, the chase is taking too long.

So that would work out to about no more than 30 to 45 seconds of hearing the chase music before the dying state happens. Anything longer than that and it starts feeling aggravating for the killer.

Very situational though, as many have already stated.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096

I think 30-40 seconds might be fair.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Depends on who you're balancing around.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited July 2022

Well for a point of reference any chases lasting longer than 25 seconds is losing you the game as killer against even semi decent survivors. However at the same time survivors would say that or anything less is way too short. How do we fix this? Slow the game down enough to where the survivors are able to have longer chases without it costing the killer the entire game. Also of side note, how many killers are actually strong enough to get a hit in 25 seconds or less? Barely any of them, hence why so many killers are considered unviable against good survivors.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

Its depends on when the first survivor down, thats the moment 3 survivors on Gen become 1. 45sec on first chase will suffer killer more than 90sec on 2nd chase.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,886

30 seconds is good, at 45 seconds I'm dropping chase 9 times out of 10.

Of course when I am playing killer, I am just fine with a 15 second chase, too.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201

Just fix the maps and delete bloodlust. Both sides will only be happy then.

• Lyonic

The reason for my example answer was to show the best way to answer. The point in this question does not concern you, neither does whats not in the question or how badly you want to derail the question.

• Adjatha
    Adjatha Member Posts: 1,814

If any one chase takes more than 30 seconds, the survivor team will have to go out of their way to throw the game.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Hypothetically if you are getting a little over two downs per generator that finishes then by the time you have 8 downs the survivors will be on the last generator. So if the average down takes about 40 seconds that’s probably a decent length. But like some other people said, the early generators are easier to finish than the later ones, so a 40 second down and then 1 generator going before the second is fine because later when there’s only 2 gens left to complete you might be getting three or four downs before another gen finishes.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I don't think that's the right question to be asking. A Killer wants to end the chase sooner, and a Survivor wants to drag the chase out. The chase is either short enough to favor the Killer or long enough to favor the Survivors, depending on the state of the current trial. There is no consistent middle ground, far as I can tell.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,494

Where you take your times you don't seem to take account survivors has to find the gens. Important for killer is to find first survivor in less than 20s and get him in less than 30s. Usually one gen gets done while you hook but if you use any slow down perk you can stop other gen from getting completed. Still most survivors don't play optimally so you have to just take advantage of that.

• TheLastHook
    TheLastHook Member Posts: 495

With a map and aura reading that´s hardly an issue. Plus you can see them and you know where they are as long as you have a few hundred hours. Or if you play SWF it´s all trivial.

• HauntedKnight
    HauntedKnight Member Posts: 388

The issue with this question is it needs to be paired with another question to really give a proper answer. How many kills should a killer be getting? Or even more specifically, how many killers do YOU want to get as killer? And you can use the same question for how many survivors should be escaping per trial.

Happy with a 2K? Then chases can obviously go on longer than if you want a 4K. Don’t care at all about any sacrifices and just want to chase and chase and break about 10 pallets? Then who cares.