Tunneling and camping have gone out of control

Options

Well, I just wanted to see if it's only me, or if you all have gotten into matches lately, got chased, got hooked, camped, or tunneled, and then out of the game, with this particular loop put on repeat on each and every single match. Cause that's what's been happening to me lately. And I absolutely got tired of it. I am not a survivor main, btw, I actually main killer, but I have also come to enjoy survivor gameplay as well lately. The problem is that this cycle put on repeat forever has become so frustrating. I promise I am not even baiting BT hits or DSes, I just try to play the game normally, but the killers still just want to tunnel. And I am done.

The last drop was this match I just had against a Nemesis on The Game, that tunneled as I've never seen before. He didn't even try to hide it or to cycle a different survivor in between my hooks. He just tunneled straight in our face and we could do nothing about it because he just tanked all the BTs and the DSes and still went after the unhooked survivor. And he literally tunneled each hook state of each survivor individually. Sometimes I get tunneling a person after 2 or 3 gens have been finished, but I cannot understand a Nemesis that tunnels like that from the beginning of the game till the end of it. It's like that was his sole mission in that match like he was doing an only tunnel challenge.

Because of this tunneling issue the game has, I've been taking it easier lately, playing DBD maybe once or twice a week. Well, I just wanted to say and also let Behaviour know that if they don't do something about tunneling and camping, all the survivor player base will just follow the same path as me. And that is, leave the game. As much as I love DBD and its core design and the 4v1 aspect of it, I cannot physically take more tunneling than I already have. Therefore I must proceed and say goodbye to this game for the time being and look into other games that can actually be fun to play, and not frustrating.

Comments

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,325
    Options

This is exactly how I feel when camping and tunneling doesn't happen. Its been out of control since I started playing over 2 years ago. I imagine its been a problem for longer. These actions are a huge deterrent from wanting to play the game. The OP mentioned this as well and I do believe camping and tunneling is one of the biggest reasons survivor mains play less often if even at all anymore.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    Options

As if there was a time those two were in control.

• Tatt3dWon
    Tatt3dWon Member Posts: 514
    Options

Tunneling is not an issue there is counter play the counter play is looping well and the more you get chased or tunneled the better you will get. Camping just means you suck at the game or you just want to ruin someone's game. Unless its camping end game that's completely fine and adds more excitement to the end game.

• foodie
    foodie Member Posts: 436
    Options
  • fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    Options

Yeah, that's the best way to play with people who prioritize chests/bones over gen.

• foodie
    Options

When I play hag and have a survivor hooked, I do other things like retrap, kick gens, break pallets, chase other people if I find any. And yes, if MYC goes off and the survivors trigger my trap, you're right I will teleport back, but I will go for the person that unhooked and NOT the person that was unhooked.

It's called MYC for a reason, and unlike other killers Hag doesn't have a 1 shot power or add-ons.

I give 2 chances. If you trigger MYC and don't trigger the trap then the chances are I won't be able to find you even if I ran back manually. Hag is a slow killer.

If you trigger MYC and my trap, you deserve to go down by it. It's simple to not trigger my trap at the hook, it's your choice. And that the 2nd chance, 2nd make your choice. You can either save without triggering my trap or you can be confident in yourself and do it anyway.

• foodie
    Options

Im describing use brain and dont trigger traps. Why wouldn't I go back if you make noise on purpose whilst knowing you're one shot from MYC. I think you need to understand what camping is. I'm letting you save and giving you a choice

• foodie
    Options

Unlike most killers hag is not able to camp gens or run around gens. She has to put up traps and constantly retrap, she can't put much pressure on gens by going to them. She puts pressure with hooks and spends much time not chasing to put traps and she is utterly useless as a slow killer without having her traps preset up. You have to play her differently and MYC is magic on her but its not necessary, I just personally enjoy it

• foodie
    Options

Its not camping if you don't trigger the traps and its a simple thing to do - crouch or flashlight the traps. Let's not act like people don't know how to avoid her traps at hooks and NO I don't put all 10 of my traps at the hook. People trigger the hook trap on purpose and cry camper later.

Again, it's your choice on whether you want me to come to the hook or not

• foodie
    Options

I don't main killer, so I can only speak for the killer I play and the only killer I have leveled up. You find a way to best complement your main killer, I've found what I can do to have fun with my killer and for me its a small game - I don't go for the unhooked survivor and I go back to the hook if my one and only trap is triggered and if MYC is active all the better. I take make your choice to the level of - you trigger my trap, I come, you don't trigger it, I won't.

And again, avoiding triggering the trap is easy - just crouch.

I either play with no add-ons or brown ones for distance and time on the phantasms.

• foodie
    Options

@Ksekwlothreftis @Crowman

Since one or both of you wanted some sort of an example. Here is Hag an M1 killer. This is my clip.

https://streamable.com/j26eh2

As we can see, I'm hooking a survivor in the basement, perfect opportunity to camp, especially on Hag. What do I do after the hook - retrap, walk around trying to hear gens and oooh a survivor. She gets chased and downed and hooked and what happened to the basement hook, he got unhooked but my trap at the shack remained untouched. :)

I will be leaving you to enjoy. I've explained and repeated and even given you an example in video format

• Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959
    Options

Were you playing as Jill?

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,817
    Options

There is probably no good solution for tunneling than wouldn't break the game, so one is likely never coming. If a killer is determined to tunnel you out, even to the point of throwing the game, they will do so regardless of whatever changes the devs make, short of making an unhooked survivor straight up invincible until another surv is hooked.

• Gamall
    Gamall Member Posts: 487
    edited July 2022
    Options

The sad side of this game is that if you want to achieve a victory as a killer (at high MMR) you necessarily have to camper and tunnel, otherwise you have to work twice as hard and you don't always succeed.

Some people even achieve streaks of 80-90 wins with camp and tunnel, I personally took 34 victory and 7 ties.

So you have to choice between a secure victory or an almost certain defeat if you play killer. The problem is that in soloq and at low levels it is a terrifying experience if you play survivor because you have literally no countermeasures and no helps.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,001
    Options

Statistically this cannot be happening to you every game, because there are four survivors in a game and only one survivor can be camped and tunnelling out first.

So you're definitely exaggerating. I'd say this is happening to you 1/4 of the time, or if it's more than that, you're doing something wrong and getting caught. Or, you're one of those survivors with a very loose definition of 'camping' and 'tunnelling'.

• Godhandkm
    Godhandkm Member Posts: 34
    Options

Kill one survivor is the most efficient way to win in high mmr, is that or a lot of TB in the exit gate.

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389
    Options

When people like OP say they're being camped and tunneled I wonder exactly what's happening in their games. Typically when people say this stuff they have a real loose definition of camping and tunneling.

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,357
    Options

If you go by the fact that she can only m1 yes, but hag can play chases differently, she isn't a puching bag like say ghostface, myers and even sadako who depend on survivors making mistakes or horrible pallet RNG to get downs.

The definition of m1 is used differently by some people and even tho yes its more intuitive to consider m1 killers the ones that can only m1, then nurse is an m1 killer as she can only hit you with m1, I consider m1 killers killers that have no absolute way to get hits aside from just traditionally chasing.

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hey man. I love playing with Ace in the Hole, Plunderer's, Streetwise, and Built to Last! So yes!

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    Options

A lot of killers have been begging for more incentives to prioritize hooks over kills. This patch will be giving them even less.

Don't expect any changes anytime soon.

• skylerbound
    skylerbound Member Posts: 743
    Options

This! I loop as if I’m going to be camped and If I do get it unhookerd I try and position myself to loop again as I’ll prolly get tunneled. At my MMR most killers are lucky to get 1k doing this strategy(minus Nurse/Blight)

• Cybil
    Cybil Member Posts: 1,164
    Options

SOMEONE HELP ME!!!

I'VE BEEN TUNNELED AND I CAMPED GET UP!!!!

• Ryuhi
    edited July 2022
    Options

gonna be honest, if you're a killer main you wouldn't think running the killer for 2-4 gens would be them tunneling you out of spite, its them trying to get a 1v3 as fast as possible to make their map pressure more sustainable. especially since it could have been 80 seconds or less into the match at that point.

• NemmyMan3000
    NemmyMan3000 Member Posts: 228
    Options

"Its much more satisfying when you 4k with no tunneling and surv dying on their 3rd hook....."

Just wanna say, although I do not agree with this statement, I also do not disagree. That is entirely your opinion on how a killer match is enjoyable to you.

Some killers just wanna actually kill and not juggle surv on their hook status.

Some killers are forced to tunnel because a surv is constantly getting in their way or the surv is being toxic and therefore enticing the killer to send em back to the lobby either by tunneling/camping/slugging.

Having pressure on a match as killer isnt always guaranteed, lets not forget that there are some maps that don't favor a killer no matter how good you are.

• TheUnknown
    TheUnknown Member Posts: 16
    Options

He just tunneled straight in our face and we could do nothing about it because he just tanked all the BTs and the DSes and still went after the unhooked survivor.

Bro, if a killer waits for the Borrowed, Gets DS'ed multiple times and focus only one survivor until he's dead you have more than enough time to get the gens done and get 3 people out E A S I L Y.

Btw there are only two killers in this game who can camp effectively, leaving no counterplay for the survivors: these are Cannibal and Hillbilly, only on account of the instadown. And the only one who can effectively tunnel is Pyramid Head IF you run into his Trail of Torment, since he can then skill decisive/power struggle and other saving perks entirely.

Tbh I feel like this last update awoke some sort of sense of entitlement on survivors who now come to the forums, not even Reddit anymore for some reason, to complain about the slightest, easily manageable and completely counterable things. Camp/Tunnel might not be easily counterable and not a "slight problem" but it sure as hell is easily manageable by the least coordinated of teams. Hell, even by solos who played the game longer than a day.

• Remohir
    Remohir Member Posts: 17
    Options

One could say the same the other way around. If your only way to win a game is make sure you get one hook and then keep taking down the same person before he can recover, it screams skill issue. Specially taking into account the way you talk, as it sounds like the only way a hook happens is survivor poor skill and not a good killer player

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

There's too much focus on potential chances that survivors don't get and not enough on the one they do. Focus should be on objectives, avoiding attention, and successfully escaping your first chase.

A survivor gets 1 hook as a result of individual efforts. To get any additional chances falls upon teammates (Not the killer) to provide. Camping or tunneling does not guarantee the kill as they are counterable by coordination alone.

• Ryuhi
    Options

skill issue or balance issue? because the answer to both is yes, its just a matter of how much of each.

• Deme
    Deme Member Posts: 59
    Options

Dont see why killers wouldnt "tunnel" and proxy camp, even if they play "fairly" there will always be t-baggers at the exit gate. Killers wants to have fun too.

• dictep
    dictep Member Posts: 1,333
    Options

Perhaps killers need a new surv animation so they can give them a hug

• Ksekwlothreftis
    Ksekwlothreftis Member Posts: 63
    edited July 2022
    Options

It all comes down to this, no matter how much u scream about tunnelling. If you think the killer (excluding nurse and blight) has a chance to 12hook and not tunnel even a bit against very efficient and good survivors on all these maps, u clearly dont play against efficient and good survivors.

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • cburton311
    cburton311 Member Posts: 404
    edited July 2022
    Options

Funnily enough you have no idea what I want. It turns out I want a hard fought match where maybe I escape maybe I don't.

What I don't want is to play generator simulator while the killer engages no one and stands under the hooked person. I sure as hell don't want to be that person that got downed in the first 30 seconds of the match and then is subsequently camped to death.

To accomplish this better game balance I am not asking killers to do one thing differently. I want behavior to crush that killer behavior completely. Make generator repair speeds climb the longer the killer is next to the hooked survivor. Behavior do something!! This right here will ultimately be the downfall of the game.

Post edited by EQWashu on