Why is OTR and DS disabled during end game?!

Options

What’s the point in this if the Killer goes for the unhooked person? He can literally do nothing about it and gets hooked again while the teammates can only unhook him and he gets hooked again. I hope the devs are gonna change it quickly since this feels so annoying that you can’t do anything about it if the Killer goes for you again.

What are your thoughts about it?

Comments

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,698
    Options

I recommend Hope, if you find yourself in those end-game situations frequently.

Personally, I feel they went way too far to the other side with these 2 changes.

I'd much prefer the perks still work, but on a significantly shorter timer (say 30s for DS, and 15s for OTR). That way, they're really only an insurance for survivors who are hook trading at the gate. If the killer manages to hook you far enough away from the gate, they'll have no problem waiting out these timers.

The issue I'm seeing is that once the gates are powered, even if all 4 survivors are alive and on first hook, the unlucky one to go down just dies.

The only thing capable of getting them through the gates at that point is a teammate with Borrowed Time and an exhaustion perk like Sprint Burst or Lithe. The killer has no other objective at that point, so the only thing stopping them from securing a kill is an unprecedented number of body blocks and their own mistakes.

• GreyBigfoot
    GreyBigfoot Member Posts: 942
    Options

It's as much of a free escape as a survivor using no perks, in the healthy state. Unless the killer was using exposed perks.

At the very least, OTR still has its stealthy parts, so it might be worth running still. I was under the impression that the Endurance part was a total rework.

DS hasn't been good for like 2 years, so yeah definitely don't bother using it.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,177
    Options

Because against good survivors as an m1 killer if you hadn't tunneled and it was EGC and more then 2 survivors were alive you might as well have gone and stood In a corner because good survivors would easily dance around you between BT, DH, DS, and bodyblocking

• SekiSeki
    SekiSeki Member Posts: 516
    Options

If it wasn't like this, I would go run and bodyblock for the guy that unhooked me. That's not cool.

Also, it disabling gives BT a place in the game.

• Dunkinspunkin
    Dunkinspunkin Member Posts: 191
    Options

So killers cried that a survivor was invincible for 80 seconds and could take his time body blocking before escaping with zero counterplay? How dare they!

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,372
    edited July 2022
    Options

Survivors get 2 chances at escapes for free. And there's no real way to stop that as killer but find it first. So i think both sides should have that option when the games basically over.

• Moxie
    Moxie Member Posts: 806
    Options

Ikr? Killers got nothing this patch while Survivors have super op *checks notes* Perks that do nothing after the objectives are done.

OTR needed a change for end game, but not this.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

The point is that when an exit route is available, going for the vulnerable target is the only way the Killer is able to secure a kill.

If OTR and DS were active during endgame, then they would guarantee an escape for the unhooked player. That would not only go against the whole idea of shaking up the meta, as those Perks would easily outshine pretty much any other endgame Perk and therefore restrict variety, but also further solidify the mindset a lot of people have that, just because the generators were completed, they were therefore entitled to get an escape (which completely ignores away the fact that the game is not over at that stage, but NOED has been battling with this mindset for literal years now so I doubt it's ever going to change), while also putting the Killer at a lose lose scenario with no hopes of securing another kill, despite having caught that Survivor (which is something the Devs have shown they don't want to happen on either side - the whole reason why Hatch exists is so the last Survivor is not put in an impossible to win scenario when their team died and for the same reason the Exit Gates power after Hatch is shut).

If you want to get someone out in endgame, you need to make smart usage of the tools you do have available. It is far from impossible to do it, but you gotta play it smart. Now, I agree that this leaves soloQ behind, but that is a seperate issue that should have been addressed years ago (but got ignored for way too long).

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,645
    edited July 2022
    Options

Nah.

Better to take their advice and tunnel/camp people out of the game asap. Can't fail at your objective if you complete it asap, after all!

• Dunkinspunkin
    Dunkinspunkin Member Posts: 191
    Options

I don't think you're being reasonable about the purpose of this patch. This isn't Christmas morning and you aren't owed a present. The devs said killer kill rates were too low. Thats what their data told them. So they wanted killers to be stronger. It's a balancing patch. Survivors weren't supposed to get something in return.

Survivors will adapt and settle into a meta. And it's gonna be lithe and sprint burst with something like lightweight or calm spirit to help lose chase, plus a healing perk and maybe a gen speed perk. It's already happening

• Somna
    Somna Member Posts: 130
    Options

Sounds like a reason to keep using BT.

• Jokersmile
    Jokersmile Member Posts: 95
    Options

its Endgame bodyblock, BT or just leave the guy on hook and escape

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,087
    Options

It's so the survivors can't just get unhooked and get the free escape.

And going after or hitting a healthy survivor isn't the best choice either.

• Moxie
    Options

Fair enough. When queue times get even longer and kill rates get higher, perhaps they will make some more meaningful balance updates

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130
    Options

It was set this way so killers get their petty kills. It's a killer sided game.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,133
    edited July 2022
    Options

It was literally a free escape when they were saved from the hook at endgame. The killer could do literally nothing to stop them because the speed boost lets you run pretty much to the other end of the map even if you were as far as possible from the exit gate. With the exception of maybe nurse.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,509
    Options

The Hatch only exists so that the last Survivor just does not hide forever.

Since the changes Hatch-Escapes (or Gate-Escapes after a closed Hatch) have become very rare anyway.

• Moxie
    Options

Yes so now its a guaranteed tunnel Kill off hook, regardless of anything. All this does is encourage more tunnelling.

As I said, OTR needed a change for end game but disabling the entire perk is lazy.

• Reinami
    edited July 2022
    Options

Right, but it is endgame. Endgame is a different beast. Literally nobody but baby survivor mains think "tunneling and camping" even exist at the end game. That literally is the only pressure a killer is able to exert at the end once the gates have been 99'd.

• Aven_Fallen
    Options

I mean, obviously Killers cannot do much anymore at this point. I am also camping and waiting in Engame.

But it basically changed from a free escape to a free Kill. (Even if they manage to save the hooked Survivor, it will most likely be a trade so another person is on the Hook and will die)

• BringShaggytoDBD
    BringShaggytoDBD Member Posts: 412
    Options

Ego. You'd think they'd have a better understanding of the game if they're that committed to the forums. But then again, having x amount of posts doesn't make them any better/worse than anyone else on here.

• antgnstea
    antgnstea Member Posts: 869
    Options

They wanted to prevent "free" escapes, so instead they give free kills at the end game.

• Reinami
    Options
  • Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130
    Options

The game is in a horrible mess. I would say I was right.

This is a public forum, not a killer main forum. If you are unable to debate and throw your hands up and call others a troll you disagree with, that is your problem.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,759
    edited July 2022
    Options

DS and OTR get disabled during endgame because that's when the killer either HAS to tunnel or camp in order to secure a kill if they weren't able to get you to second hook before endgame, OR it becomes completely pointless because you're already on 2nd hook and you're probably going to die anyway

i wouldn't be too upset if they did get enabled during endgame though, since DS does practically nothing right now and OTR is...well, bad at being a anti-tunnel perk (i will die on this hill), and if you got hit by old DS during end-game then it's honestly your own fault because you either didn't get them to 2nd stage before endgame/didn't eat DS early, but that's the reason why it's disabled during endgame

• Beatricks
    Beatricks Member Posts: 857
    Options

"Guaranteed free escape!"

Now it's a guaranteed kill unless the Killer literally went baby mode and carried the survivor to the hook closest to the gates. Good to know only one side deserves guaranteed free stuff thrown at them!

• Remedicist
    Remedicist Member Posts: 1,096
    Options

It is to prevent a free escape as others have stated. It is not really fair to have a second chance perk active when you have made it to the end of the match. At that point, second chances aren't needed, and it created situations where survivors couldn't be punished for misplays at the end game due to having virtually a free escape because they could protect others knowing they could not be downed and/or hooked.

Although, DS should definitely have a 5 second stun. 3 seconds is nothing and does not give the survivor the second chance they need in the early or mid-game to get to a pallet or loop. There is no point in having a perk that does not do what it is meant to do.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,177
    Options

To clarify, it was the offensive use with it. Killers would be happy with a trade/attacking another survivor but you had the unhooked survivor being as aggressive as possible because he knew he had bt and even if the killer continued to go after him and managed to down him he would ds and run through gate or crawl through.

The defensive nature of the perk was fine in EGC but using it to become immortal and then blodyblock your rescuer is where it was dumb.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,638
    Options

as a lot of people have mentioned, DS and OTR basically guaranteed survivors free escapes. A survivor could be unhooked near a gate with BT and survivors would swarm and bodyblock giving killers no chance to get a kill.

• D2night
    D2night Member Posts: 224
    Options

You do realize that this doesn’t just prevent a free escape? It takes away something from a survivor. Multiple times I’ve looped the killer like crazy only to go down and hooked right before/as the last gen was complete. Got unhooked within a couple seconds and no doors were even started yet only to run a little bit and go down again because I didn’t have OTR. But even if I did, no doors were started and it wouldn’t have been a “free escape” I still would’ve had to loop/run away from the killer until the exit was opened or until he lost me

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,334
    edited July 2022
    Options

If you can't do anything about survivor getting escape because of 1 perk, thats not a healthy perk.

• Aven_Fallen
    Options

"Endgame is still part of the game", and this is why we disable Perks....

• Khelendrose2020
    Khelendrose2020 Member Posts: 207
    Options

I can tell you this, my reward for playing nice and not tunneling all game is to eat a DS in End Game and watch the survivor escape for free. Go for the unhooker? Get body blocked by the person with DS.

Yeah, not exactly encouraging me to avoid tunneling. I got to where I would intentionally tunnel everyone once just to get potential DSs out of the way. It was miserable. I hated playing that way.

OTR is a guaranteed escape in End Game. No such thing should exist, period.

• LichQueen
    LichQueen Member Posts: 45
    Options

It was never a guaranteed escape, if you failed the skill check, you don't escape.

• Khelendrose2020
    Khelendrose2020 Member Posts: 207
    Options

No such thing as tunneling or camping after the last gen is done. All bets are off and the killer has nothing left to do than ensure that kill.

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,260
    Options

Who is missing the DS SKILL check lmao, maybe the baby dweet?

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,759
    Options

Implying that failing the skillcheck was a common occurrence, which it wasn't