Survivors are still the power role (And need more nerfs)

DistortedDream
DistortedDream Member Posts: 672
edited July 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

So, the update is a step in the right direction for game health and has made the killer experience a bit better. However, survivors are still the power role.

Gens still go by super quickly even with the extra 10 seconds added and every killer match I've played so far since the update had at least two survivors bringing Prove Thyself and a Commodious Toolbox with BNP, making gens even more of an issue. Survivors are complaining that killers are still running the "slowdown meta", but slowdown perks are needed to get by without gens flying left and right.

Camping and tunnelling were nerfed into oblivion with the base kit BT and OTR changes. Survivors can now save in the killer's face with no repercussions. Grabs don't even exist anymore and if you do manage to grab a survivor, it will freeze the game for 5 or more seconds and the grabbed survivor will be free, benefitting the survivors in the long run.

Maps are a huge issue when it comes to game balance as well. The Game (Gideon Pallet Plant), RPD (Pallet City), Garden of Joy, Mother's Dwelling, and Eyrie of Crows are huge examples of this. What do all of these maps have in common? They're all big maps with an absurd number of pallets and strong loops, which will guarantee the survivors a win 99% percent of the time. Even the most experienced and strongest of killers have a hard time on these maps. Not only that, but infinite loops still exist on certain maps (Ex: The Pale Rose boat loop, Grim Pantry's main building loop, RPD Library, etc). Both Backwater Swamp and Red Forest needs updates because they are from a different time and do not fit the current game. Mind gaming loops is also out of the question, considering survivors can see over most of the tiles.

And on top of all of that, Survivors can still body block hooks, sabotage, and blind killers at ridiculous angles (you could be facing a wall and still get blinded) and you'll most likely lose the carried survivor. Losing a carried survivor is a big deal because you wasted all of that time in a chase for nothing and have to start another chase, most of the time with an uninjured survivor.

Now not all of these things are necessarily bad or unbalanced, but this game is still survivor sided despite the changes and buffs to killers. Survivors are still in need of nerfs and killers are still in need of buffs.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

could be truth at maximum level lul

• TheKissKing
    TheKissKing Member Posts: 59
    edited July 2022
    1. Hooking in front of a killer is always a free hook because the rescuer goes down within 3-5 seconds for free. From 1 healthy and 1 hooked survivor, within 10 seconds you have 1 newly hooked and 1 injured survivor,
    2. Bodyblocking? use STBFL, with buffs to killer attack cooldown, its an absolutely goated perk. Also its a free health state which works well with new thana. Also bodyblocking under a hook only works 20% of the time from my experience as a killer, killers actually have generous angles to hook a survivor.and you usually only need an additional 1 second to reposition. (wriggling takes ~13 seconds, after hooking 8% slower you can immediately start chase with that bodyblocker. Also starstruck is an A tier perk that shreds bodyblokers
    3. hook sabo: Slugging, infectious fright. even with unbreakable its not hard. I rather them use gimmick playstyles than do gens. yesterday i was up against an RPD offering + Hook offering. They wriggled out 3 times so i decided to play dirty (im generally a "mr. nice guy" killer) and slug all of them. Result was a 4k at powered exit gates. (my build with trapper, one of the worst killers with no counters to hook sabo, was couldraphobia, distressing, unnerving prescence and sloppy.) Nothing to counter hook gremlins
  • Maxx_Calin
    Maxx_Calin Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2022

Ur theory about Survivors after the update being still too OP is completely BS. How do I know this, since the update I've being losing to killers alot more than winning against them. Where as before the update my wins/losses ratio was pretty much equal with the game. Look at any wins/losses chart out for the game right now since the update and I can guarantee u 100%. There will be alot more wins on the killer side than the survivor.

Also want to point out that when only one survivor is on a generator it takes forever now to finish even one solo without a toolbox with add ons. They aren't by any means quick to get thru on ur own.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

Ok a few things:

- Gens are a complete slog, unless you're facing a skilled SWF. Survivors complain about slow down perks because it makes the game a complete snooze fest.

- Camping and tunneling was actually buffed because the hook timer still remains the same while gens were increased. Basekit BT and OTR are complete jokes and do not prevent camping and tunneling, they only delay the inevitable.

- Body blocking and sabotaging are completely valid, as they take skill and teamwork. Flashlight blinds can be a bit ridiculous, but most of the time they are correct and they actually take skill to use.

I can agree with the map issues though, as some maps are completely ridiculous, such as Gideon and RPD. However, mind gaming is still possible in some loops. And I would like to also point out that solo Survivors took a major hit after this update and are in need of buffs to match the level of SWF.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,085

You can still get gen rushed. The added 10 seconds didn't do much. For example: Deadlock, a supposedly OP killer perk, blocks a gen, but then survivors push a different gen. They keep doing this, and soon there's 4 gens at 80%. And don't even start with dream scenarios of having Pentimento AND 4 stacks of Thana up at the same time.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

While you are correct, any more nerfs and they might genuinely leave the game. Rofl. They are REALLY angry at the slight buffs to killer. More than I expected.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436

That's a hard no. And I think the patch has helped my solo survivor games and support the Killer buffs. The items to work on now are solo queue icons and I would support either basekit BT being buffed even further to being 20 seconds but Conspicious Actions deactivate it or DS being basekit and activates on both unhooks. I'd also like to see Kinship get buffed so it's easier to activate and increases the hook timer more than it does now.

Tunneling and facecamping isn't a good gaming experience as it relies on denying another person their gaming experience. Survivors have better tools to deal with it now but I'm completely good with the tools to combat it getting even better. Then, if kill rates fall too low from that, buff Killers in other areas where there's more interaction than staring at someone on hook.

Map redesign I'm completely good with but the rest, just no.

Once MMR settles and people get used to not having pre-patch DH to correct their mistakes we'll see what the actual kill rates are like. Then we can see the actual impact of the patch.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,960

Blocking hooks isn't overpowered

• Brhoom
    Brhoom Member Posts: 241

You do realise that survivors are humans who just want to have fun in the game as you do too? Not some bots but people with lives who just want 1 hour of fun after a long day of work. By fun I don't mean easy escapes or wins.

Facecamped at 4-5 gens, tunneled straight off the hook, slugged at 4 gens by an IF Nurse, or doing the unnecessary 3vs1 strat with the current meta that makes the game feel like a total waste of time for survivors. Why are killers resorting to these tactics during this current meta?

We can all have fun in this game, killers have the "power role" so please be better next time and think about the other players who are with you.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,882

Nerfs to survivor, maybe some time in the future if proved to be problematic. What really needs to be looked at next is maps.

• Redv
    Redv Member Posts: 16

I honestly wonder if DBD had more balanced matchmaking, it would help solve some of the complaints. And I don't just mean survivor -killer matchups, but survivor group balancing.

Killer is in honestly such a good place right now. I wouldn't count myself as a good killer by any definition of it, yet I'm coming out of games with at least 2 dead survivors; when normally I'd be lucky to get 2 hooks on a person. With the update, the game is better at punishing survivor mistakes. With the right killer build and map, you can make it a survivor's worst nightmare.

Solo queuing feels rough because you can be paired with veterans and newbies in the same match. In a game where skill level and knowledge are crucial to survival, it makes it unfair for either party. The newbie isn't given enough time to learn the ins-n-outs of the game; while the veteran plays with the expectation that the newbie already has this knowledge, and thus can offer no guidance.

Same can be said about the killer-survivor matchup. A new killer doesn't want to go against season veterans who're gonna flashbang every chance they get. Meanwhile, a new survivor doesn't want to go up against a veteran killer, who knows how to use their perks well.

I don't know if this is a controversial take or not, but I am curious to see what matches could be like if it had more structure applied to its matchmaking.

• tamsmi
    tamsmi Member Posts: 30

"camping and tunneling were nerfed into oblivion"... i mean... that was the goal but sadly no

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

I wouldn't say tunneling and camping were nerfed into oblivion. Any survivor on this forum and outside of it would say... the opposite.

5 sec BT is a joke, and OTR is a DLC perk. Most casuals won't have it, unless its changes were a good enough marketing decision as to make people massively buy the DLC.

• CrimsonMothKing
    CrimsonMothKing Member Posts: 414

I disagree, I only play killer and I can feel myself being stronger than solo survivors. When I play against SWF's I still feel like they are ever so slightly strong than me, however, I can punish them harder for their mistakes now. However, in no way was tunneling or camping nerfed. Base BT can help ish, but DS was nerfed too hard. If they reverted it to a 4 second stun it would be fine. As long as they don't bring Dead Hard back I don't mind what buffs they give survivors.

Not having to worry about a survivor extending a chase and erasing their mistakes feels good, but I do feel bad for those that don't have that kind of protection vs killers that camp or tunnel. Something needs to be done.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I have a feeling they’ll tone down STBFL to max out at the recovery time it used to be pre-patch. It was always a really good perk, now it might be overpowered though so returning it to where it was seems pretty sensible.

• Pyrosorc
    Pyrosorc Member Posts: 202
    edited July 2022

The most important changes needed now are

1) Massive BASELINE penalties given to people who facecamp or tunnel. Edit: during the main body of the game at least. Do these all you want in endgame.

2) Solo queue survivor given tools to even remotely catch up to SWF.

Once these are in place killer will be vastly underpowered again, so we can actually give them nice toys to compensate.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,085

Because Deadlock blocks the almost done gens, they push other gens to almost done, when they're done with one they go back to the others.

• Gindaen
    Gindaen Member Posts: 374

It would be absolutely hilarious for survivors to get nerfed again after the last 4 killer-buff/survivor-nerf patches. Especially after this slap in the face to solo-survivors.

I honestly hope the developers nerf survivors again. I've never seen a game implode this spectacularly from ill-conceived buffs/nerfs.

• Slaymore
    Slaymore Member Posts: 499

Completely agree- camping and tunneling is an order of magnitude worse now. I'm lucky if I see a game in a day where it doesn't happen.