Possible fix to gen rush and looping

besjo33
besjo33 Member Posts: 22
edited June 2018 in General Discussions

Everyone can agree biggest problems are gen rushing and looping so I think there may be a may to combat both, just an idea.

What if while the killer is in a chase the generator progression was reduced by 50% for all survivors. What I mean is, if one player is in a chase with the killer all other survivors would receive a 50% speed penalty on gen progression.

This would mean the killer could possibly catch the survivor without 3 gens popping by the time he's got his first hook. It would also mean that if the survivor decided to loop pallets, running to the next one constantly he would be slowing down the team on getting the objectives completed and should be trying to loose the killer instead of kiting him for the entire game.

I know some people will say this this will encourage camping but the gen progression will not count when the survivor is downed or on a hook only when in an active chase, meaning the killer should effectively be trying to get into another chase to again slow down the progression of the gens, this means this would also combat camping.

Also 50% could possibly be too much its just a place holder obviously with testing correct values could be found. I also think it could be possible to put the gen progression in stages for instance if there were 4 survivors still alive then the gen progression would be reduced by 50% while one survivor is in a chase because there are still 3 survivors to work on gens. If there are 3 survivors left alive you could reduce the progression to 25% as only 2 could work on gens and finally if there are only 2 left alive there would be no reduction while one is in chase as only one gen can be worked on.

This method could also work in terms of being staged in terms of how many gens are left to do as well?

Its just an idea but I think with testing it could work and it combats the major problems at the minute Looping, gen rush and camping. Let me know what you think?

I also had an idea for a hex perk that would only let one gen be worked on at once? For instance at stage 1 only 3 gens can be progressed at one point in time, stage 2 only 2 gens can be progressed and at stage 3 only one gen can be worked on. This would not effect how many people could work on gens only how many gens could be worked on at same time, so if you did run stage 3 and only one gen could be progressed there's nothing to stop everyone doing that one gen although obviously it would make more sense to find the totem. This also would not be as easy to combat as ruin as gen tapping and perfect skills checks for skilled survivors would not work.

Post edited by besjo33 on

Comments

• Markness
    Markness Member Posts: 242

Gen rush counter = run hex ruin + camp the totem.. :P

I agree with the looping being a pain because the only thing you can do to counter that effectively is play nurse. There is a reason when there is money on the line that you only see people playing nurse (and when they didn't they got some nice 0Ks).

• besjo33
    edited June 2018

Camping totem is boring

Post edited by besjo33 on
  • NightRaider315
    NightRaider315 Member Posts: 27
    If you are a killer playing survivors in high ranks most survivors are smart and  they will not hunt the totem down. That’s the purpose of ruin but high rank survivors know to just power through ruin because it only sets your gen back around 10 seconds. As for pallet looping if you aren’t a killer with a chainsaw or nurse then bring brutal strength if they annoy you but that’s part of the game.
  • Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,237

Looping is a part of the game now. Everything (perks, killers etc etc.) is getting balanced around how the game is now, so with looping. A way to balance pallet looping is by removing so called 'save pallets' (pallets where no mindgame is possible, you HAVE to break it). They're trying to fix it on a few maps by reducing the field of view, so bigger boxes in loops so that you cant see the killer.

And gen rushing. There is no such thing called gen rushing. The only objective a survivor has when he starts a round is repairing gens, that's the only way you're going to escape. However, the probem is, the gens go to fast for the killer to win a chase. After every chase, 2 gens are done on average. The way to 'counter' it is by using Hex Ruin (its a necessity). And hope that Ruin doesnt get destroyed within your first minute, which will happen, trust me.
    The streamer Tru3Ta1ent has an interesting idea. = Every survivor that gets unhooked, gets a repair speed de-buff. So going after fresh survivors actually helps, so you can de-buff the entire team. The way it is now, after a survivor gets unhooked and healed, it will be just another fresh survivor. The only way youre benefiting from hooking survivors is after the 3rd hook. You know, 1 player less means less gens done.

So for looping: Remove save pallets, make it so every pallet has a mindgame.
    'Gen rushing': De-buff survivors gen speed after getting unhooked

• Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,237

@besjo33 said:
    Ignore first post decided to post before I was finished!

Everyone can agree biggest problems are gen rushing and looping so I think there may be a may to combat both, just an idea.

What if while the killer is in a chase the generator progression was reduced by 50% for all survivors. What I mean is, if one player is in a chase with the killer all other survivors would receive a 50% speed penalty on gen progression.

This means that you're punishing players that are playing good. You should 'punish' players who are playing bad / making bad plays. Make it so that the player getting unhooked gets a gen repair speed de-buff. Instead of the players not getting caught getting a de-buff.

I also had an idea for a hex perk that would only let one gen be worked on at once? For instance at stage 1 only 3 gens can be progressed at one point in time, stage 2 only 2 gens can be progressed and at stage 3 only one gen can be worked on. This would not effect how many people could work on gens only how many gens could be worked on at same time, so if you did run stage 3 and only one gen could be progressed there's nothing to stop everyone doing that one gen although obviously it would make more sense to find the totem. This also would not be as easy to combat as ruin as gen tapping and perfect skills checks for skilled survivors would not work.

Sounds interesting with a bit of tweaking, maybe a rework for Ruin?

• besjo33

@Nick said:
    This means that you're punishing players that are playing good. You should 'punish' players who are playing bad / making bad plays. Make it so that the player getting unhooked gets a gen repair speed de-buff. Instead of the players not getting caught getting a de-buff.

I don't feel like its punishing players that are doing good its only slowing down the gen progression its not harming you. The problem I have with the repair speed once you're hooked is that when facing a good team especially SWF you're going to have 2-3 gens finished by that point anyway. The killer has no control over that but if they actively stay in a chase they are slowing the other players down meaning its the killer slowing you down in a way giving him some control back.

• kirsty18
    kirsty18 Member Posts: 1

@besjo33 said:

I think this might be a good idea I think like you said the values might need looked at but it might work.

I also really like the idea of the Hex perk sounds like a better version that ruin!

• besjo33

Yeah 50% might be too much just thinking of a way to not have 3 gens done at rank 1 by the time you get your first hook.

It’s the most annoying thing about this game when you have no control in this game when you are supposed to be an all powerful killer. I think it would give the killer more of a chance at least. It’s a way of being like loop all you want you’re hurting the team, which I think at this point is needed. Killer can chase with less fear of 5 gens popping.

• MuteNewt
    MuteNewt Member Posts: 234

They are currently working on something to combat looping. They are trying to rebalance/restructure the maps to make looping more difficult.