Eruption is poorly designed.

Options
ByeByeQ
ByeByeQ Member Posts: 1,104

Eruption incapacitates a survivor for 25 (used to be 16) seconds working on a generator previously kicked by the killer when they get a down.

Eruption disproportionately affects SoloQs while being easily countered by a SWF on comms. If a SoloQ is working on a gen they have no way to know if a survivor is going down to counter the incapacitated effect, even running perks like Empathy or Bond don't really help. This is bad perk design.

The Incapacitated effect would make more sense on Pain Resonance where an alert SoloQ can at least get off the gen as the survivor is hooked to mitigate the perk's negative effects once they know the killer has it.

The Incapacitated status effect is also just plain horrible. Not being able to repair gens, sabotage hooks or cleanse totems sure, but if an injured teammate shows up and you can't heal them... if they don't know the killer has Eruption they just assume you're a lousy teammate. "Well screw this Meg. IF she's not going to heal me I'm leaving her to die later on." This is extremely bad for the game. Why can an incapacitated survivor open an exit gate but not heal a teammate?

Rework Eruption or chuck it in the bin.

Comments

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,882
    Options

The perk should notify them when they get incapacitated. It informs solos that the perk is there so they know to counter it. It doesn’t nerf it against swf cause there already aware of it. Giving the information to solos will help it out

• BubbleBuster
    BubbleBuster Member Posts: 387
    Options

Eruption is another perk that doesnt work against swf but works really well against soloQ.

SWF will just call out when they will get downed so they let go of the gen and simply not get incapacitated. SoloQs cant communicate so they either let go for too long and waste a lot of time or they cant repair the gen for 25 seconds.

Good design in theory but again a perk that doesnt work against swf.

• SlowLoris
    SlowLoris Member Posts: 282
    Options

Yeah, the new Eruption is frustrating for a lot of reasons.

1. In solo queue it's very hard to tell exactly when a survivor is going to go down
    2. You cannot tell the other survivors that you are incapacitated so they just run up to you teabagging for a heal and you have to stare at them like an idiot
    3. It might not seem like it, but 25 seconds is a LONG TIME. At least with DMS you could go cleanse a totem, heal, open a chest, etc.....Eruption? I just have to stand there and twiddle my thumbs.

Having a visual indicator that someone is incapacitated would be nice - perhaps a small glow of chains around a survivor or something. But also, I'd rather they revert the buff to incapacitation and buff it in a different way. I actually have a whole folder of clips where a killer was saved from me beamer saving by getting Eruption value BEFORE the buff, so the incapacitated value wouldn't be useless, it just wouldn't be extremely boring.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure how you'd buff it without basically making it better POP. Maybe a buff to how many times you have to kick? Kind of like how you use Oppression and it starts other gens regressing. Perhaps it could count the 2 other closest gens as being kicked? I think if the Incap time was nerfed a bit, this wouldn't be so bad, and would save time kicking. Obviously they wouldn't activate kick perks automatically, but they would explode from Eruption.

• roundpitt
    roundpitt Member Posts: 578
    Options

In my mind, this game needs to be balanced around everyone being in discord. Because being in a discord is the equivalent of all survivors having +3 perk slots or more. You can't balance between the two. It's not going to happen.

They also can't say "Alright, nobody can use comms.", because let's be real, we all know people will either use something else or circumvent the anti-cheat. It would also ruin the game. The game is much more fun when you are playing in a discord with a team. As long as your team members aren't terrible people.

We shouldn't be pandering to solo queue survivors because it will lead to bullying the killer in discord squads. That's the easiest way to alienate the entire killer community and kill the game. No killers = no games.

Before the 6.1.1, survivor queues for my wife were about 15 to 20 minutes. My killer queues were 3 to 6 seconds.

After the patch, my killer queues increased to about 30 seconds to 2 minutes. And my wife's queues are 10ish seconds. This is much better from a numbers perspective. More games are happening more frequently.

For anyone curious, we sit right next to each other in the same room. So we talk during our games and I can see how fast her queues are.

• hailxsatanxeveryxday
    hailxsatanxeveryxday Member Posts: 913
    edited July 2022
    Options

Maybe they could buff Eruption so that it incapacitates all survivors for 30 seconds, not just the ones who are doing gens. This would make it more fair by preventing it from being able to be countered by SWFs.

They could do something similar with DMS. All generators that were worked on in the past minute could be blocked for 45 seconds every time you get a hook to make it more fair.

Maybe they could also make it so that if a survivor's been on the hook for more than 15-20 seconds and you haven't started moving towards it, there's a stackable anti-scoring event where the Entity takes half of your bloodpoints at the end of the match.

• Elan
    Elan Member Posts: 83
    Options

Whole this update makes SWF more rewarding and solo q even bigger pain. Watch DBD die in few months as 50 % of people play solo. I don't mind buffs to killers, they got rid of best slowdown perks so it's ok. But hell is to play with randoms even more than before. As MMR still is a thing I don't understand how someone who spends 50s selfcaring in basement and urbaning at corner can be same lv as me. People dcing, killing self on hook almost every game. Nurse, Blight, Nurse, Nurse, Deathslinger, Legion, Legion, Nurse... Pure fun. xD

• Sadako_Best_Girl
    Sadako_Best_Girl Member Posts: 658
    Options

My idea is that they make any survivor within 16 meters or something of that generator suffer from the incapacitated status effect. It would make sense considering the perk is basically implying you are putting a bomb in the generator.

• ByeByeQ
    Options

@roundpitt

We shouldn't be pandering to solo queue survivors because it will lead to bullying the killer in discord squads. That's the easiest way to alienate the entire killer community and kill the game. No killers = no games.

Eruption panders to SWFs. BHVR shouldn't be pandering to SWFs at all.

No one here is asking SoloQs to be pandered to. However, recent stats show that over half of the survivors playing DbD are SoloQs, so they certainly shouldn't be alienated either.

• roundpitt
    roundpitt Member Posts: 578
    edited July 2022
    Options

My suggestion is to integrate discord into the game.

https://discord.com/developers/docs/rich-presence/how-to

It's super easy to setup and basically allows for everyone to jump into the same lobby together whenever the game starts.

From the docs:

It's so easy, a caveman Junior Dev could do it

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 7,137
    Options

incapacitated effect is denied healing and denied generators. I don't think you can 1:1 the effect but you can make it close.

eruption could do 10% of generator then block generator for 25 seconds. it won't have denied healing aspect though. small side effect is that perks like surge+eruption wouldn't work with it if gen is blocked. Also blocked generator do not regress at 400% though you could add... 7% regression after the gen unblocks.

just another one of those perks that loses half effectiveness vs swf.

• ByeByeQ
    edited July 2022
    Options

That's never gonna happen, for a multitude of reasons:

1. They can't censor it and you know how they love to censor.
    2. It would cease to be a horror game. (It usually isn't but still.)
    3. They'd have to pay Discord. Nothing is free.
    4. Just imagine the squeakers yelling racial slurs all over people's streams.
    5. There are a lot of people like myself that don't want it.
    6. It's easier to make perks like Eruption not so awful for the SoloQ.
  • yauniqua
    yauniqua Member Posts: 151
    Options

this needs looked at

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,232
    Options

Eruption is pretty hard to time even with coordinated groups depending on the killer unless you get off super early

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,681
    Options

I think they should reduce the incapacitation to 12 seconds but increase the regression to 15%

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,728
    edited August 2022
    Options

Considering eruption can be countered with communication, I'd take this as a killer. A nice buff. The incap is too easy to avoid, so while it's great, it's not as useful as I'd like.

• _kostas_pap_207
    _kostas_pap_207 Member Posts: 453
    Options

Oh I didn't know that you could open exit gates when you are incapacitated. That's pretty stupid

Wtf is that

They should change it immediately

• Tsela
    Tsela Member Posts: 524
    Options

it works as intended, it needs no change.

First of all it has a cooldown, second, it needs the kick, third, you can simply counter it by working on another gen while the killer is chasing instead of the one he just kicked

• CookieBaws
    CookieBaws Member Posts: 619
    edited August 2022
    Options

It's not that simple. Perk favours SWF and punishes SoloQ.

25 seconds is a mistake.

"working on another gen" YEA, make sure you do that every time killer kicks a gen.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,542
    Options

Or you could Gen tap... to stop the regression then just wait till someone goes down

You know paying attention to how the Killer plays... That's not a Solo nor SWF favored... it's gamesense favored

• rvzrvzrvz
    rvzrvzrvz Member Posts: 939
    Options

Bump, that perk is broken

• Brummi
    Brummi Member Posts: 11
    Options

Incapacitation itself is an questionable desigend effect. You are being put into spectator mode basically.

I think what it should do is reduce affected actions speed up to 80%, so you at least dont just spectate

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,202
    Options

Eruption is easily countered by swf so what is your point? If eruption for example is changed to cause 20% regression but not incapasitate. It dould affect solo and swf equally and it would actually do something agains't those guys on discord you know?

• ByeByeQ
    edited September 2022
    Options

By the Entity I hate Eruption so much when I play SoloQ. Even with Bond it's difficult to be able to tell when a survivor is going to go down.

A survivor can spend up to 25 seconds or more waiting for the other survivor to go down or have to suffer 25 seconds of Incapacitated.

It's just lose-lose for a SoloQ. What an an absolutely awful perk.

They buffed it because its usage rate was low but it's a perk behind a paywall. Of course its usage rate is going to probably be lower than say, Pop Goes the Weasel (which got overnerfed) who people can earn for free by buying Clown with shards.

• ByeByeQ
    Options

One of my favorite content creators just made a video bringing up the same issues with Eruption I did.

• scoser
    scoser Member Posts: 452
    Options

"Just don't do gens for 5 min, lul". How am I supposed to know what my solo queue teammates are doing? Why should I sit AFK until someone goes down in order to do any gens?

• RaSavage42
    Options

It's about gamesense... if the Killer kicks a Gen then work on it for like 5-10 seconds then find another Gen to work on

Yes I know Eruption is hard to deal with for Solo's but using gamesense can help a little bit

Or get caught by it one time then think "OK... well (the Killer) has Eruption"

• darksouls3600
    darksouls3600 Member Posts: 229
    edited September 2022
    Options

They need to understand that, 25s is not the end of the world, like, ok u are incapacitated but the killer is not even on you, so the survs can hide or go to another place, and then when is safe return to the gen and probably finish the gen.

If the others survs are downed easily and eruption is get in their ass, is not the perk fault.

My brother play soloQ and he never complained about eruption, PR+DMS and others shits, like u said "ok, killer have eruption", he just complain about one thing, sometimes, SOMETIMES, he is abandoned on hook, after making a lot for the team.

That soloQ problem never hurt him, he have in fact a lot of random team that he played with and was like playing SWF.

• RaSavage42
    Options

Yea some players just don't want to play better or use different perks so on and so forth

• scoser
    scoser Member Posts: 452
    Options

It's one thing to know that the killer has Eruption when early on, you can usually find one gen they haven't kicked. But when it's late game and the killer only has a few gens left and keeps going between them to kick them with Eruption and then get in a chase, do you just not do any gens or get incapacitated and stand around doing nothing?

• RaSavage42
    Options

Patience is a good thing in some cases... work on a Gen for 5-10 seconds step away from it see if can see the Killer (either in a chase or not) then make a decision on if you want to continue on working on that Gen

Or run Empathy (it allows you to see all injured Survivors in a 128M range

Also remember all of the other chase that happened and how long they lasted and again make a decision based on all of the knowledge you have... being unable to communicate isn't the end of the world

Anyway if you just tap the Gen then you can stop the regression then if the Killer does down a Survivor then you can get back onto the gen and repair the Gen more then the regression that Eruption has done to it

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,619
    edited September 2022
    Options

I agree 100%. I’ve never liked the perk even before it was buffed, but it was rarely used before so it didn’t get much attention. But yes, it hurts solos far more than SWFs because solos don’t have a reliable way to counter it. But on top of that, 25 seconds is also just way too long regardless to not be able to do anything, and the scream effect also disproportionately affects solos for the same reasons.

An idea I had for it was to remove the scream and incapacitated effects entirely, and instead the gen gets blocked for 12-14 seconds when the perk triggers, regardless of whether or not it was being worked on. This means SWFs can't let go to counter it, but it has a shorter duration and also no longer inhibits other actions, giving it more counterplay. It may also be fair to increase the regression to 12%, to counter the fact that if the gen erupts while no one is working on it, the gen being blocked will prevent it from passively regressing over time for a bit.

Also just going to say: Incapacitated should not be used in this way for long periods of time. It makes sense for Victor and Pinhead's chains because they are actively designed to make you deal with them before doing other actions. But on a perk like this, it just becomes incredibly boring to play against and non-interactive.