Increase the DC penalty or this game is going to die

Murgleïs
Murgleïs Member Posts: 1,067
edited August 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

10 games in solo Q, 10 DC. The worst part is that we could have won if they did not DC.

Remove -50 000 BP per DC on top of the temporary ban penalty. If the player has no BP left, make it negative down to -2000000 BP.

Also the ban penalty should not start at 5min but 20min minimum.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• XerraFox
    XerraFox Member Posts: 157

-2.000.000 BP is a little rough if it happens to someone due to a connection error

But I'm all in for the increase of time

• Murgleïs
    edited July 2022

It's a maximum.

Yes. A DC is a loss for 3 others survivors 90% of the time. You should not only wait 5min for throwing the match.

• Hessien
    Hessien Member Posts: 11

Really? :D Get -50000 points for 1 dc. At nowdays get 3-7k points where the game face camped.. Soooo many player will leave this Dead Bug Daylight imo where nothing can do if the tunneler face camper killers there.. 80% of them are.. Why dont they get the penalty 4example get 4 report / day for the next 24 hour cant join ingame. Want to get $? Sure. Wont pay anything for a game where cant play? And get 7k bs? sure

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

How often is your game crashing? I've had four crashes since I installed the game years ago.

• Murgleïs

It doesn't matter if a killer DC, you win free BP as survivor and move on with instant queue.

• HPhoenix
    HPhoenix Member Posts: 597

-50K BP? My guy, I can get that plus 50K by playing Legion with a pudding or cake, in a single game. (or two)

I think the best penatly would be: -100K BP, -1,000K (or 500) Iri shards and 10 min DC penalty.

I still say it should go up to 10 minutes. Anything higher then it would be chaotic for those with bad connection.

• dictep
    dictep Member Posts: 1,333

And these games don’t count to statistics. If they use them, kill rate before this path was way over 50% for sure

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

Increase DC penalty I agree with, but not by that much....

• WesCravenFan

I can and will blame people for DCing.

If you want out that bad, suicide on hook.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

We're not just talking about turboslowdown legion and plague though, people are DCing for being found first, going down first, for no obvious reason at all. Not just survivors, I broke a demo's haunted grounds yesterday and he dc'd when he couldn't find me. What realistic changes can be implemented to stop these outside of harsher penalties?

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,054
    edited July 2022

Nothing. As I said, people will always DC for things which are not really considered actual reasons. You will have people DCing when they get stunned by a Pallet (have seen it happen, was a very effective pallet stun) or when they play against an add on-less Wraith. You cannot do anything about those.

But you can do something about DCs which are caused by frustrating game mechanics. The big problem is that the Devs fail to realize that those exist. Or that they dont want to do something against those.

The DC-Penalty itself should not be more severe. It is ok that it starts low, but it can get high pretty quickly. You should not be punished too much for a DC. E.g. a few weeks ago I DCed because my game just crashed. Nothing on my end, it just crashed. Was playing Survivor during this evening and on top of the 5 minute penalty, I should have 50k BPs penalty? If I would been at 0 before (which was most likely the case, because I spend BPs immediatly after games), I would need to play like 2 or 3 games to get to 0 again. For something which was not even my fault?

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    edited July 2022

It happens sometimes. Glad your performance is good but this game did not optimized well for old consoles.

• WesCravenFan

My performance isn't great, but I am certainly not CRASHING so often that it would legitimately be a DC concern.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon

And i said it happens to me sometimes. Is it so hard to understand?

• Omans
    Omans Member Posts: 1,081

I don't DC myself, but blaming people who DC when the game is in its current state is missing the forest for the trees.

• HarlockTaliesin
    HarlockTaliesin Member Posts: 763

LOL no. That'd be a mini version of if the devs decided to do away with SWF. Never happening.

If you're playing survivor, grab what points you can then jump into another trial. If playing killer, play a different killer for a while (something other than Legion/Bubba/Blight/Nurse tends to do the trick).

• WesCravenFan

Yes. Yes, it is.

How often is "sometimes"?

DC timers recover over time. Are you telling me your system is SO HORRIBLE at staying connected that you are crashing more than once every few days?

• RenRen
    RenRen Member Posts: 1,443

20 min is too much. I'd be ok with 10 min.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon

At least 2 times at week. Sometimes more.

My system is not the best but it is not bad either. I played Elden Ring without issue, it should be enough for DbD. And i don't think issues are coming from my pc, it is DbD issue. It is only game i have problems.

So yeah, if they make dc penalty 20 minutes, i will leave that game.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I agree the 5 min start is fine. However I’m not against increasing the penalties for repeated disconnects in a short time frame. If your router goes out once a month, no big deal. If you’re disconnecting once a day, though, you’re creating problems for a lot more players.

• Tsukah
    Tsukah Member Posts: 390
    edited July 2022

I wouldn't mind having the penalty timer set to a maximum of 6 hours

Like 5 mins, 15mins, 30 mins, 1 hour, and finally a repeating 6 hours until the timer resets back to 5 mins again

Other than that, I think it's fine where it is

• jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 973

It doesn't matter if a survivor DC you still get some points and move on with your attempt to camp and tunnel everyone.... see how these wildly generalised phrases don't work and are extremely double sided?

• Murgleïs

What are you talking about ? I was playing survivor. If your teamates DC early game you lost 99% of the time.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

I don't camp. I don't tunnel. I don't play especially mean.

I still see a DC in 25-30% of my games.

Clearly, the DC penalty is not fine - and if people are going to find another way to ruin games, the answer is to also penalize that.

No, they are correct.

Killer DCs = everyone moves along with some BP, straight to their next game.

A survivor DCs = now killer has to spend time playing an annoying game, hunting down 3 people who've gone AFK in lockers or in the shrubbery, or 3 people have to play out a boring, unwinnable game.

These play out differently in reality, and you can't really compare them - unless the killer DCing meant that survivors had to finish all the gens and then leave, whilst also getting a penalty to BP and points gained.

Start it at zero.

The problem with DbD is the way that the penalty is handled. Most sensible systems allow you a free crash or two, then an escalating penalty that quickly gets quite nasty. To make the penalty decrease, you have to play out games without DCing.

In DbD it's purely based on time - which basically means that people can DC at least twice a day before they start to feel it.

You shouldn't be punished for the occasional crash.

If you're crashing daily, you need to be encouraged to stop.

Shrug.

By the same logic, if you can't cure the disease, you need to manage the symptoms.

People will always find something they don't like to face, and - this being the internet - will then amp this up to 'omg this is frustrating to fae and I'm not having fun unless I win, so I should be able to DC'.

No matter what you change, you aren't going to fix that.

So you have to control it.

• SaltyNooty
    SaltyNooty Member Posts: 276

Wow, totally not like playing survivor is literally the most radioactive toxic dump, it's been EVER. Either you're joking (this has to be bait.) or your train of thought is so empty, there's not even a driver....

So, anyways. Moving on.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140
    edited July 2022

Trust me, I'm not implying you're camping or tunneling. I'm a Legion main, I'm used to survivors DCing just because they don't like me.

The other way I'm thinking of people throwing is actually not punishable. If people kill themselves on hook, it literally can't be punished without being harmful to legit players of various skill levels.

I'm pretty sure this wave of DCs will decrease when the problematic behaviours from the other side will either diminish as killers take it out of their system or are officially adressed. Otherwise, these players will likely leave the game whether for a while or permanently, or switch to killer.

I still don't think increasing the timeout would accomplish a lot on the short term or long term.

• StarLost

Killing on hook should be punishable, if it's done excessively - because it's really the same as DCing. It's a ragequit. Technically, I'd qualify this as 'working with the killer', and would treat it the same.

You will always have a ton of DCs and ragequits, because that's gaming. A lot of people want to win, and they want to win fairly easily. Anything that prevents this - bail. Which is why most games have pretty harsh penalties for rage quitters.

Even back in the dusty recesses of 2020, when this game was absurdly survivor sided, I saw a ton of DCs from survivors - generally the second I downed them, or saw I was playing Hag or Doctor.

• egg_
    egg_ Member Posts: 1,933

People will always find a reason to dc, but are you denying there was an extreme spike in dcs after the patch?

"We worked on so many perks by rendering them utterly useless and buffed killers, we didn't have time to address problematic aspects on the killer side and balance them accordingly :'( " -quoting the devs

Personally, I hadn't seen so many dcs since last time the penalty was disabled.

My point being there is a huge dissatisfaction with the patch, due to how the devs failed to address a lot of aspects of the game that they actually claimed they were going to look into with it. Plus, let's not talk about those broken (mainly S tier) killer addons people have been complaining since wayyy before the patch.

This is the result, and just bandaiding yet again with harsher punishments is really not the way to go. There's a reason people aren't having fun

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,849

I guess they have to walk the fine line of penalising DC's but not so much that people just stop playing. While there will always be people who DC for whatever reason, looking at underlying reasons a unusually high number of players are quitting will help when it gets out of control.

I am sure they are doing just that btw

• JakeCannon
    JakeCannon Member Posts: 542

I only agree with the time ban . 10 min tho for the first 3 times you DC within a certain amount of time/matches then increase . The BP thing I highly disagree with , but that's just my opinion . I agree DCing is annoying af even when I'm killer I don't like when surv leave. I dont get the XP/pip I need and I know the other surv just get frustrated af .

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,435

Other games ban you for days at a time if you DC too much, regardless of the reason. If you are having network issues, you should deal with them before playing another game. If you are having hardware issues, you should deal with them before playing another game. If the game itself is having issues or bugs that is causing crashes, then BHVR has ways to disable skins/characters that cause this, and/or temporarily remove the penalty until issues are resolved.

• Error_Social
    Error_Social Member Posts: 63

Survivors keep using the DC exploit, as always, and in my opinion survivors shouldn't be able to disconnect from the game because of a bugged mechanic and repeated offenders should be permabanned from the game.

• HugTheHag
    edited July 2022

I don't think it amounts to working with the killer.

Also, one could argue that lore-wise, survivors giving up is justifiable, since I've seen a post going around that tunneling is okay since according to the lore survivors can and should be driven to desperation and anguish from killer behaviours. In that vein, killing yourself on hook is a pretty integral part of the game.

Before the update, except when playing Legion, I didn't see people DCing often, so I don't think it's a problem that is as prevalent usually. To be fair, even since the update, when I play survivor (on low mmr), very few people actually willingly throw games. They're just new and flail around with good intentions but no skill yet.

From a lot of posts from survivor mains, I gather that most survivors don't necessarily want to win (or even to win easily), they want the game to feel fair and have a chance to be fun. Unmotivated DCs (just doesn't like the killer) pale in comparison to DCs as reactions to harmful behaviours.

Let's adress those first, maybe?

(Also, props to you for playing Doctor, he's my favourite killer to go against, and Hag is my second main, all the love for her)

• Reinami
    edited July 2022

If that were true, then the game would reward the killer for "making" the survivor suicide on hook. But as it stands it doesn't, it actively punishes the killer because they lose out a 1/4 of the bloodpoints they would have gotten from them between chases, hits, hooks and, depending on the killer, deviousness points as well.

• Obelt
    Obelt Member Posts: 357

DC penalty means nothing when you can die early on hook

• HugTheHag

I was being purposefully disingenuous with that argument, since I do not agree with toxic behaviours being justifiable through lore.

• Reinami

Fair enough, either way, its a problem that needs to be dealt with. They really should treat it as any other multiplayer game does, where people get banned or low priority queue or various other punishments for DCing or "feeding"/hook suicide constantly.

• HugTheHag

Maybe increasing the depip penalty could work ?

Losing two pips is not much more than a slap on the wrist when you can't actually derank, and rank rewards are so precious when you don't feel like grinding an extra ten hours.

Maybe losing one whole rank when DCing would disincentive people from DCing, especially as ranks go up and need more pips.

• Reinami
    edited July 2022

Pips don't matter to most people, especially since you can't downrank anymore. It needs to be something people care about.

Why not punish them harshly by banning them? DotA lets you leave 1 game every 2 weeks, after that you start getting punished. Give everyone a certain number of leaves. Say, 3 a week, or one a day, and if they go over that, they get banned/put in low priority queue or some other extremely harsh punishment to disinsentivize them from doing it. Granted, DotA let's you rejoin a game if you DC and that is unlikely be something BHVR let's people do anytime soon as they once said it would be hard to do, but that's why we have to be more generous than 1 every 2 weeks.

If you are worried about DCing or having network or hardware issues, then you shouldn't be leaving games to lose your 3 free leaves. If you are out of them, you probably shouldn't be playing anyway until you resolve your network issues.

• Marik1987
    Marik1987 Member Posts: 1,700

... and remove the 4%-Thing on the hook.

• StarLost

I don't know.

Maybe a bit more - but yeah, nobody likes being nerfed and there's definitely a lot of pouting.

Name one survivor perk that is utterly useless now that wasn't before the patch.

'Fun' is subjective, and from my own experiences seems to mean 'I can win whilst playing chill'. Before the patch, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of my games had a DCing or suiciding survivor, generally on the first down.

It's not something that should be encouraged. You don't teach a kid not to sulk by giving in. You wait until they start behaving themselves, then you can have a discussion. Otherwise they learn that if they don't get their way, they just have to pitch a tantrum and they'll get it.

It absolutely does. You're deliberately throwing the game for 3 other people because you're having a sulk.

'It's lore accurate to be toxic'...yeah, I don't think you want to go down that road.

No, it all comes down to 'I was able to win pretty easily with x strategy prepatch, now I can't - therefore I'm not having fun, therefore I'm justified in ruining games until I get my way'. You can clearly see this watching almost any streamer - note how often survivors cable pull or suicide on the first down, whether they are facing Nurse or Trapper.

On my end, if I play Artist, Myers, Ghostface or Slinger, people play the game out...maybe 4/5 of the time.

If I play Hag, Trickster, Doctor or Dredge, I'm getting DC'd on at least 1/3 of the time.

• HarlockTaliesin
    HarlockTaliesin Member Posts: 763

Great way to alienate and reduce the player base. Never happen.

"A survivor DCs = now killer has to spend time playing an annoying game, hunting down 3 people who've gone AFK in lockers or in the shrubbery, or 3 people have to play out a boring, unwinnable game."

"Unwinnable." That's a big part of the problem. Every survivor and killer going into a match has their own concept of "win", and most times it's absolute defeat of the other side. The slightest deviation to that, and it's nerf this, ban that, run to the forums and whine. Set your objective to go in, grab as many points as possible, then go to the next trial. Do some tome entries if you absolutely need to feel a complete win.

After the Legion revamp there were tons of Legions running around, and my personal rule is I don't do Legion/Bubba trials (one isn't worth the time put in even if you escape, and the other is just a waste of time). I played out several of the trials all the way through for about half my play time one of the days, then calculated the BPs/exp per trial. Then I suicided on first hook every Legion trial for the other half of the day, then calculated out the BPs/exp for that. I wound up tripling my BP/exp intake for the second half, partly because I didn't stay for the inevitable slog that the Legion trials wind up being, and partly because I was able to get different killer trials in between that was worth sticking it out for.

I repeated this experiment across several days, and the results were always in the ballpark of each other. I rerun this trial periodically, especially after major changes to the game. After the recent perk revision I ran it again multiple days the first week, and the results of suiciding out on Legion trials wound up pushing close to quadrupling the total BP/exp intake of staying in the trial. The buffs to Thana and other gen regression perks made it just crazy pointless to even bother with Legion trials altogether.

The other survivors in 1/3 of the trials I was in seemed to agree, as I ran into many waiting at hooks to leave. Two trials had all of us in the basement having an AFK crow hook party waiting for the killer to show up. The Legions in most of those trials, but particularly the basement ones, actually tried taking fake swings at us to get us to run. Nope. The Legion can DC or they can hook us; either way we're not staying.

Although the BP/exp intake took a dip vs all killers, Legion and Plague were the most noticeable. The exception with Plague is that the game gives you resources (cure fountains) to help offset the slog, so they're not as bad.

The point of this as well as any game is to have fun. If you're not having fun, change your playstyle or change to another game. I've been having a blast in DBD since I dropped the concept of "absolute win". Most every trial is a chill trial.

• Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607

The amount of times PSN kicks you out just because... I would have a permaban lobby