Pain Res + Mericiless Storm was fine

Options

All this doom and gloom and fighting over the return of PS + DMS didn't need to happen. The interaction between PS and MS was was so corner-case and minor to be a joke, and BHVR could have safely ignored it.

IF you hook somebody AND it's on a scourge hook AND somebody is on a gen AND that gen is over 90% AND it was never over 90% before THEN they get a bunch of skill checks. Big deal? Either the survivor passes them all and has a cool clutch moment they can feel good about, or they fail one and that's that. The game wasn't breaking.

Comments

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options

It is not as though any buffs or nerfs are made because something is gamebreaking. That is what killswitch is for.

These are just made arbitrarily. Of course it was fine, as many other perks were before they got gutted (BBQ being the one that hurts the most).

The only perk that NEEDED changed was DS free escape, and only that aspect of it. It could have even used compensation buffs to get rid of the conspicuous actions caveat.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,797
    Options

Im confused that was a perk combo? I genuinely never play against it

• Jay_K
    Jay_K Member Posts: 411
    Options

So the old combo was pain res + dead mans switch. Pain res would make you scream and let go of a gen and dead mans switch would then block that gen for 45 seconds

new combo was Pain res + merc storm. Pain res wouldnt kick you off the gen with the recent patch causing the gen to regress. If you happened to nearly have the gen done and where doing the skill checks for merc storm it would cause more skill checks to be needed because merc storm is active till the gen completes. i believe it totaled 40 merc storm skill checks.

As a killer I barely ever run pain res with dead mans switch before the patch as blocking the gen would remove the regression that pain res has.

I think this update is a fair one because they have still removed the notification of which gen has been hit by pain res but if your running it with dead mans switch you could then get notified. Basicly 2 perks to get notified and regress instead of 1.

It is so easy to counter as a survivor. Once you know they have pain res you just let go of the gens before someone gets hooked then you get back on the gen. Killer doesnt get dead mans switch and you stop the ongoing regression. Most of the time if Dead mans switch doesnt activate a killer won't come to a specific gen they will go looking for survivors because the assumption is no one is on a gen.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,623
    Options

Exactly. These changes don't make any sense. PR + Storm was literally not an issue at all.

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,681
    Options

Also you can literally do the exact same thing with jolt

WHERE ARE MY JOLT CHANGES BHVR? OP PERK COMBO ALERT.

• Patchouli_Knowledge
    Patchouli_Knowledge Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2022
    Options

I agree this is one of the most stupid changes I've ever seen. If devs really don't like the effect on Merciless Storm, just give it a limited number of skill checks it can trigger. The point is that the problem is clearly on Merciless Storm, not the other perks. What about jolt anyway? What about potential future regression perks? They should just make a simple fix on Merciless Storm instead of messing with other perks, having more things to worry about in the future, and also nerfing DMS for no reason of its own (now DMS basically has to be used with Pain Res. On its own it's garbage. It can take 20 seconds for a killer to find the gen being worked on after hooking a survivor, so it would only block the gen for 30s - 20s = 10s. WITHOUT DMS, the survivors may not be able to work on the gen for 10s anyway if they are driven off of it. This is again just back to more limiting build choices for killers, not to mention PS + DMS is just punishing solo q while doing nothing to SWF when the solo q SWF gap is clearly already the biggest problem the game needs to urgently address at the moment.)

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,240
    Options

Ds was not free escape it punished tunneling and survivor had to hit skill check to even do that. To reach endgame survivors had to also play well and that point they definetely deserve to have chance to escape.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    Options

I really don't understand the logic here. If there is any...

Also the change to Mettle of Man is very questionable. If anything it makes me want to use the perk even less.

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623
    Options

"Skill-Check hard, free escape fair!".

DS during EGC was unfair, no matter how much you may try to spin it. Just because the Survivor made it to late-game doesn't mean they deserve to escape

• Negi
    Negi Member Posts: 378
    Options

You can thank Le Reddit for overblowing a situation that would likely only happen 1/100 games if that. Oh well, guess they'll really have something to complain about when the combo returns and you see it much more often than that.

• Deathstroke
    Options

Killer usually makes mistakes when that happens so it was fair. I maybe got hit total 3-5 times with ds at EGC in over 1000 matches I have played.

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623
    edited August 2022
    Options

"Hurr durr, Killer make a single mistake, Survivors are owed free Escapes".

Wonder how'd it be if same went for Survivors

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,218
    Options

Yeah, or they could have limited to about the same amount of checks than the perk alone.

Maybe they saw something else that they aren't telling (because they feel it's not really relevant)

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,895
    Options

I mean, the slowdown perks in general needed a change with all the basekit changes. If the gens were upped to 90 seconds but all slowdown perks remained the same, while camping and tunneling remained the same(its less awful nowadays, even though the change is barely noticable), then I would have expected 60% of the playerbase to drop out untill the changes were reverted

• hailxsatanxeveryxday
    hailxsatanxeveryxday Member Posts: 913
    Options

If it's the endgame and you were just unhooked, that is your chance to escape. It was a 100% free escape in the endgame, not just for the survivor using it, but for anyone they were abusing it to bodyblock. In most games, there was just no mathematical way to play around it.

I don't give a ######### about 3 seconds vs 5 seconds, but it needed to deactivate during the endgame, yes.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,222
    Options

It is BHVR, pal.

Why are you expecting logic?

Why are you expecting good things?

This is a mistake.

• Deathstroke
    Options

It was never issue for me I always managed to slug them before they could make it close to the gate and waited the timer or I just got the one doing save down. But best counter ofcourse is win the game before endgame and in most matches I did just that.