Any Nintendo Switch DBD Players in the Building??

KerJuice
KerJuice Member Posts: 1,876

Show of hands- how many of you play this on Switch as your main platform? I think our Switch community is overlooked often and sometimes forgotten. I take it you guys don’t deal with hackers/cheaters, correct? What’s the performance like?

Comments

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,164

Performance sucks. The framerate is low, the sensitivity is bad, input latency causes a lot of problems, and since a recent update the frame drops have gotten worse. Survivor is okay (hitting skill checks reliably is an issue, and difficult skill checks like the one on Decisive Strike are nearly impossible, making DS absolutely unusable) but I find killer almost unplayable.

I have to play with cross-play on otherwise I don't get matches, so the number of hackers I get would be the same as anyone else with cross-play on. I don't see a lot of hackers (as far as I know, anyway, but maybe they're just not obvious about it), but I'm at a really low MMR and hackers are usually at a high MMR from what I hear.

• KerJuice

Switch is included in crossplay?! 😳 I DIDN’T KNOW THAT!! I thought DBD Switch were on different servers. Those performance issues sound terrible. So playing on Switch with crossplay on put you at a serious disadvantage? Overcharge & Oppresion must be impossible to hit.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,474
    edited August 2022

I play Switch and PS5, but mainly Switch. The difference in quality between the two is night and day, but most of my progress is on the Switch so I stick with it. At least until cross progression happens. Plus I like playing handheld mode wherever I go

• KerJuice

Yea I don’t understand why they don’t allow cross-progression for Switch.

• bittercranberry
    bittercranberry Member Posts: 454

i bought the switch version and immediately deleted it once i saw how poorly optimized it was... for christ sake mobile just recently got a graphics update before switch.

i dont think you can bank on cross progression to ever come so just progress on what account/ console you want.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,164

Yeah, definitely at a disadvantage. And almost every Switch killer I come across attempts to tunnel out the Switch survivor because of this. Overcharge, Oppression, and Merciless Storm are very very difficult to hit. If I succeed, I actually shout out and celebrate, not even exaggerating.

I play on both Switch and PS4. The Switch has worse visibility for sure. For one thing, the graphics are lower quality (my friend and I joke that the Switch version has PS2-quality graphics.... might not quite be a joke, though) and everything is darker. It needs a brightness/gamma slider, because even in a pitch dark room there are times when I can't see anything in the game, but BHVR has so far ignored the request.

If you don't already have DbD on Switch, I definitely wouldn't recommend it. I only got it on Switch because cross-progression had a set date, but unfortunately things changed and now cross-progression seems very unlikely to happen.

• moonwinx
    moonwinx Member Posts: 51

I'm a switch player with 2k+ hours. Basically I am just going to echo exactly what @TragicSolitude solitude said. Performance is rough, survivor can be manageable but there are certain perks that are so unreliable due to timing issues you can't really use them (DS, dead hard) and certain killer perks that make you look like a noob (overcharge, merciless storm). There are some killer powers/effects that seem to also effect performance when playing against them (Doctor and Clown are the big ones I can think of). Killer is....... rougher. For the most part, any killer that requires accuracy gets so frustrating due to frame rate issues that I gave up trying. Going against survivors that know how to 360 can also be an issue because they will just straight up be unhittable.

As far as hackers, you pretty much have to play with crossplay on to get games. I did off cross for a while after crossplay came due to how difficult playing killer felt, but after a while the pool of people you played with and against got so small it stopped being worth it. You would get the same killer back to back, who would then be super pissed if you escaped the round before and make it their personal mission to kill you first as soon as possible, or you would be playing survivor and get paired with people you had killed before and they would purposely sandbag you. It wasn't all bad, I did meet and make friends with some really good people, but when the community is small it only takes one or two weirdos holding a grudge to make the game unplayable that night. Most all the switch players that still keep in touch with now play on crossplay due to that, so the pool of people who play off cross on switch has to be even smaller now.

I started playing in March 2020 around when the pandemic hit, and got it on switch because the person I knew who played was also on switch, and this was pre-cross play. I stayed on switch after crossplay came because around the same time cross progression was announced, and switch was included in the platforms that would be getting it. Two years later and it has become a bit of sunk cost fallacy issue. I've invested 2k hours on switch and dont want to lose everything and start over. Maybe one day we will get an update on Switch cross progression.

• RenRen
    RenRen Member Posts: 1,443

I play on the switch. We don't have cheaters if we have crossplay off but the queue time is ridiculously long so I have crossplay on. As for the performance....

It's really, really, really bad. The game looks ugly and runs terribly. While I understand that it is the switch and the switch is very cheaply made cause, nintendo, it shouldn't be having this hard of a time to run. I played games that should be running worse than dbd like apex or fortnite but the performance is better and looks better (For the most part).