Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Tunnelling/camping is WAY too much of a viable strategy now.

Olafaloofian
Olafaloofian Member Posts: 11
edited August 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

I don't know what exactly caused this massive shift in killer tactics. Maybe the increased gen time? Perhaps the fact that killers can down their first survivor much quicker now? Whatever the case, I have noticed a massive uptick in killers who will:

1. Down one person
  2. Camp or proxy camp them
  3. Down them again if they are unhooked (the 5-second BT timer is easy to work around)
  4. Repeat until that survivor is dead

From that point forward, they will continue to play without camping anymore. But the damage has already been done. I can't think of a single game where they didn't get a 4K after doing this.

Just for research purposes, I went in as a killer and tried it out. I'm not that great but can get 4K games almost 100% of the time by camping the first survivor. I think this works out so well because once there are only three survivors in the game, they are all occupied the whole time. One on hook, one being chased, and one going for the rescue = no gens = ez win. I don't really know what can be done about this, so if you all have ideas I'd love to start a conversation about it.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    edited August 2022

Always been, especially latter with specific build.

And there has been countless suggestion for "fixing" it, none has been implemented.

I wonder how long it takes for devs to actually do things on this matter.

• Olafaloofian

Yes, I agree camping has a place in certain situations. It's just a shame it's so common to see it early game now because it completely ruins the survivor's chance to win

• Olafaloofian

Update 6 really changed things for some reason though. Sure, I ran into campers before. But they were usually camping a player out of spite knowing they would probably lose the rest of the game as gens popped around the map. Now killers just do it mindlessly because it is by far the easiest way to win.

• Olafaloofian

Hmm I mean it's good to know it's not happening everywhere, but for me it occurs in probably 40% of the games I play

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    edited August 2022

If we lose to camping today, we've been losing to camping before the patch.

Camping is NOT a strat used out of spite, never been, it's a strat TO WIN.

• Olafaloofian

In my experience previous to 6.0, I'd mostly be camped only if I lead the killer on a crazy chase or stunned them a bunch or something. And it usually wasn't an early game. Now killers seem to camp/tunnel the first person they down in about half of the games I play. But yes I agree it's always been a problem. Just more so these days

• MadEyePopo
    MadEyePopo Member Posts: 138

It is because BBQ lost its bloodpoint stacks. No incentive to spread hooks across all players.

Camping is least path of resistance now.

I promise, I hardly ever camp but the temptation is very high right now.

• Olafaloofian

Duuuude you're right! I didn't even think about that. And yeah I tried tunneling for a few rounds of killer but it honestly wasn't fun or the least bit challenging. I mean yeah I can win games and get a lot of blood points? But fun? Nah. Just get one survivor out and the game plays itself at that point.

• Olafaloofian

I like this... I like this a lot. Having a communal pool of hooks to go through before death would change the game for the better in a lot of ways

• Olafaloofian

I mean it's not exactly hard to get a survivor down that early. Sometimes you just get lucky stumbling across one. And if you want more of a guarantee, you can just run Lethal Pursuer or Discordance or one of the many other perks that give you immediate info on survivors' whereabouts

• D4RK1
    D4RK1 Member Posts: 30

I posted a subject on this a bit earlier here, https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/337716/a-newbs-opinion#latest, which I believe is honestly the best way to combat this situation.

Overall, the only real time I believe camping should be acceptable is once exit gates are powered and/or there are only 2 Survivors left just because there's real reason or way to discourage the killer otherwise during these times because of the obvious strategic advantage or not during these times. Tunneling I don't really view as a Killer problem necessarily because it's not really an advantage you can just take away without changing base mechanics.

In my opinion, the solution to this problem is just to create mechanics to discourage these types of behaviors and also to encourage other behaviors. Like for example, tunneling is a much larger problem in solo queue and lower MMR because taking protection hits isn't really encouraged except by a handful of BP so players tend to either to try to rush Generators instead or just hide and wait it out for Hatch or... just ide without a plan because they're scared of getting caught on Generator.

Honestly of the 2 issues you bring up, I feel like camping, particularly facecamping, is the bigger of the two issues. I've run into many games where killer would just hook 1 Survivor at a time and literally just be right next to them, watching them. Sadly while in Solo Queue I've had exactly 1 game so far where another Survivor actually worked with me to save a camped Survivor and sadly we still got out with only 2 Survivors that game. To put things in perspective, during a game where a killer is facecamping, if the Survivors are really good, they'll usually be able to get Gens done in time (unless it's a Killer like Pinhead whose box must be solved), but 1 usually 2 survivors will go down and 2 Survivors is a generous estimate because especially in Solo Queue there tend to be Survivors who go to go in solo to rescue a camped survivor and go down themselves which means Gens are slower which means that the Killer will usually actually get a 3-4k. In the situation where 1 Survivor got downed very early in the game and got fully camped out of the game followed by a second who just got unlucky and got caught afterwards, and the last 2 survivors successfully escaped via Exit Gates, the first Survivor got around 4k BP, the second around 6k BP. Meanwhile the Killer got 10k BP and the escaping Survivors got 15k BP. I'm sorry, but right now the game absolutely is not discouraging face camping because the two Survivors who got facecamped not only got screwed out of a game, but also out of BP whereas the Killer made a decent chunk of BP just sitting around for most of the game and then the Surviving Survivors got only 50% more BP than the Killer. Sadly Facecamping kinda punishes EVERYONE when it really should just punish the Killer because of how short the game is and the amount of BP really feasible to gain from such a gain (considering that a decent chunk of BP comes from Unhooking, Healing, and getting chased none of which really happens if the killer is just face camping Survivors).

• MadEyePopo
    MadEyePopo Member Posts: 138

Maybe something like a negative haste effect on the killer the closer they are to a hooked survivor?

• Bubble0seven
    Bubble0seven Member Posts: 115

Finally somebody that posts an actual idea to make something better possibly without doing nothing but complain about an issue without actually providing a possible solution. As a killer i think this would be something worthwhile to look at i think.

• Zakon05
    Zakon05 Member Posts: 185

I always felt like hooks should work like Pyramid Head's cages. If the killer remains in close proximity to them for too long, the survivor automatically relocates to a different random hook.