Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Why do I get bullied for using self care?

It works, and I've had a lot of matches recently where no one brings boon and no one will heal me off hook. Why all the hate? Post-game chats are aimed at me when we lose ONLY because I run it apparently, nothing else ruined the game for them. "Wow... you ran self care? No wonder we lost...". Really? Self care actually saved my life more games than not, are people just too proud now to use it? Yeah it's slow to use, but it's more reliable than my teammates sometimes.

Comments

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

Its a hit to team efficiency, as your time self caring is a large portion of time you're actively not participating on gens, in a chase, or otherwise progressing the match. Its still a very valid perk, but its usage often reduces your impact on completing objectives. DBD seconds can be extremely relative depending on what else is occurring in the match, which is something thats always important to remember as either side. Knowing when and where to use it mitigates a good chunk of all of that.

Basically they're being jerks for being rude about it, but there are reasons teammates might prefer if you used more efficient healing methods

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,173

one thing that i'm happy for is that all these self-care users can now use self-care+hyper focus+this is not happening. finally they'll be useful teammates that can press m1 on gens and press m1 on healing without giving the killer free 4k's.

• My_Aespa
    My_Aespa Member Posts: 545

Idk if you can get more efficient than using botany knowledge since not only does it speed up healing on myself, but me healing others as well. And it's not like I crouch in the corner every time I get hit and use it, I usually use it most endgame if I'm the last one standing.

• My_Aespa

Well I use botany with it so it's actually a lot faster than that.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

... because you're wasting half a gens time to heal one health states when you could've done 3 normal health states

• My_Aespa

That's the thing, my build is Self Care, Botany Knowledge, Resilience, and This is Not Happening. It's one of the pretty efficient builds that I use I think.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    edited August 2022

Again, time can be very relative. if the time you took prevented a gen from being done in time, it can be the start of a snowball of pressure for the killer. Can't really say either way without being in the matches myself, so its up to you how you apply the knowledge.

• My_Aespa

I mean, if they're clearly bad perks like "Up The Ante", "Wake Up", or "No Mither", then I understand the criticism because they don't do much for you in the end.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,474

you have a nancy pfp... and youre using Self Care!? The betrayal!!!! - Bone Enjoyer

In all seriousness, its because of the negative reputation the perk has because the majority of people dont use the perk correctly. You dont heal at every chance you get, thats VERY inefficient and that time is better spent working on gens. Sure that one heal you just got may have saved you in the moment, but it may have also cost you the game because you spent 45 seconds healing yourself. Thats literally 50% of a generator.

Only time you should be Self Caring, is to finish off a partial heal, or heal yourself during Endgame. Using it that way benefits you and the team the most.

• ThanksForDaily
    ThanksForDaily Member Posts: 1,304

Okay, Self Care is a terrible perk that benefits killer. Bring CoH instead. Still a great perk.

• Zen_but_not_Zen
    Zen_but_not_Zen Member Posts: 230

Don't mind other people, just play your game. It's solo-q, it's your loadout, so no-one should care if you even came with no perks at all.

Out of curiosity though, i can understand the need to want to heal yourself if you're finding others aren't helping you, but wouldn't a Medkit with charge addons be more efficient for you? If it's because you wanted to use a Toolbox, you could make up for the loss of that with the 2 perks freed up, maybe Resilience and Prove to speed up gens. Even bring CoH yourself (if you have Mikaela in your roster that is), then you have a spare perk to use for anything else too.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,474

Its a strong perk when used correctly

Which is not the case for the majority of its users

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I think what a lot of people forget is that there are a lot of moments in a game where you aren't in a good position to be on a gen but you also aren't literally running. Maybe you're hiding from the killer briefly, maybe you're checking things out from a high vantage point, maybe you're waiting to see if a killer is still chasing you, etc. The advantage of Self Care then is it turns all those idle moments into times you can partially build up your healing bar. Even when you don't heal fully, unless you're Hemorrhaging you won't lose any partial heals you do. So Self Care is allowing you to squeeze extra time efficiency out of the short periods you otherwise might be wasting, all without needing anything else like a med kit or someone nearby or to be in range of a Boon, etc. Just anywhere, any time you want, heal a split sec when you're not doing something else, then get back to business.

So yeah, it's not ideal to use it as your primary healing source, but it's a good secondary partial healing source to fill in the gaps.

• Ikalx
    Ikalx Member Posts: 134

Ya know, for all the people that rag on self-caring, I've seen enough teams all go down due to not healing that I feel like most of them are just being doofuses. Sure, these days I definitely wouldn't recommend bringing it without botany knowledge, and that perk now lifts its weight in team heals, but still, imo, a healed player is better than a wounded one.

Now self-caring in the corner to the exclusion of all else? Fair enough. But that's not really self-care's fault, to my mind, it's the player. Especially since you're going to heal substantially faster if you just let someone else patch you up.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,494

It was nerfed to ground and survivors already used to lose games before patch because selfcaring in corner instead doing gens. But good solo survivors usually knew when to use it and when not to so it was actually decent in higher mmr.

• TarunCosmo
    TarunCosmo Member Posts: 181

I dropped Botany self-care for CoH and Bite The Bullet. I won't ever go back until they buff self-care.

• Wowie
    Wowie Member Posts: 571

If I'm playing killer and I see someone using self-care I usually just hit them and let them leave because I know they'll be doing nothing for the next 30/45 seconds. It's better in most cases to run around injured and do gens or totems.

• RatbasterdJr
    RatbasterdJr Member Posts: 702

Idk, run what you want. But I’ve went phase 2 on hook because teammates decided to self care for 45 seconds rather than get me off hook. Kind of annoying there. Or when the team is on the verge of losing and you’re working on the last gen while they self care right next to it, rather than just helping get the gates powered, again, annoying.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Might as well use coh. You can still heal yourself if no one else will and it aids teammates that can't heal as well.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

That assumes they have CoH and are decent at finding totems.

Self Care + Botany is on Claudette who's free. CoH is on Mikaela who is not.

• Lynxx
    Lynxx Member Posts: 510

Did the same - except I kept the Botany. It's still nice +50% healing without medkits. BIte the Bullet is nice cause their whimpers in pain are just annoying these days when I heal. Shut UP!

They should just remove Self Care entirely if they are going to beat it into the ground all the time.

It got raised eyebrows before the last nerf already.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Bring a med-kit.

Or bring CoH.

Every player I've seen using Self-Care since it's nerf have been found sitting in or near corners Healing.

• My_Aespa
    edited August 2022

Well I don't do that, like I said already, I also don't have Mikaela.

• My_Aespa

I'm not a confident looper, and I don't take the risk that the rest of my teammates used up every single pallet. Like I said, I don't heal every time I get hit.

• My_Aespa
    edited August 2022

I bring it in the instances no one wants to heal me and just rush gens, I also use it endgame when I end up being the last survivor. I definitely know when to and when not to use it.

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174

You have a Nancy icon, why aren't you running Inner Healing? If you cleanse a totem you're either removing a Hex or lowering the chances of NOED and once you're unhooked if nobody heals you there's lockers all over the place.

• CyberRoninX
    CyberRoninX Member Posts: 293

If I were you I would update the main post to let people know you are using botany also. People don't read other comments before posting their responses and you would get less negative responses all around. There is nothing wrong with running self care especially if you have botany and if no one is healing in the first place.

• zarr
    zarr Member Posts: 924

Rounds can fall apart for a thousand different reasons, and regularly it's due to hundreds of things adding up (often being hundreds of seconds survivors spend doing useless stuff instead of repairing gens, but that's just the most obvious one). If one were to seriously analyze those rounds of yours, I'm confident we'd find a lot of stuff that went wrong that was equally if not much more detrimental to the round than you self-healing with Self-Care. And since you use Botany Knowledge with it, that is almost certainly true.

The thing with Self-Care always has been that it's actually time-efficient: another survivor healing you takes 16 seconds, but since both you and that survivor are occupied with that heal, the total invested roundtime is 32 seconds. That's the same time investment SC required for a heal, and it did so reliably at any time and any place, not requiring a second survivor, not being as vulnerable to getting temporarily interrupted, and regularly being even more time-efficient due to those facts (another survivor healing you means they are leaving whatever they were doing to join you at some place to heal and then have to go back, which is an extra time investment not needed if you can heal yourself). Plus grouping up with other survivors can enable snowball scenarios, spreading out and healing by oneself is usually a better play for that reason as well, not least because multiple survivors being interrupted simultaneously also means more time being wasted in the process.

But there is of course an important caveat: the time you spend healing actually has to be a worthwhile investment. And that's where most people go wrong with the perk - they are not good enough to actually use those health states to good effect, or they don't know when it is beneficial to heal and when it is best to stay injured in order to do other things. Just for one simplified example, if a survivor spends 32 seconds healing themselves instead of repairing a generator, but then despite being healthy still dies in 20 seconds in their next chase, them healing was most likely not time well spent. And there are countless different scenarios where this can be true, such as survivors healing when the killer will one-shot them anyway, or healing when instead they could be finishing a crucial generator that otherwise will be getting contested and perhaps never finished, or instead of pressuring an unhook and the hooked survivor transitions or dies, or they spend a minute looking for a "safe spot" to heal every time, or they throw away health states taking hits for no reason, and so on, rounds falling apart in large part due to it. So basically, SC was only ever really worth it in the hands of competent survivors that knew when to heal and when not to, and on which a health state actually regularly has a substantial impact on the match.

Now that Self-Care takes ~45 seconds to heal oneself with, the basic time efficiency argument doesn't work out anymore. I still don't think Self-Care is a "killer perk" now, far from, but the amount of situations in which healing yourself with it will be worth it have been notably reduced, and that's even if you are a survivor that can make real good use of those health states. So much so that I think using Circle Of Healing or simply a Med-Kit is just the better choice. Or even Bond to more reliably go for altruistic heals. That said, if you have Botany with SC, the self-healing time is cut down to 30 seconds, again putting it within the time-efficient range. So if you are a reasonably smart and competent survivor that knows when to heal and how to wield health states to good effect, SC + Botany is still a completely sensible loadout choice.

• toxik_survivor
    toxik_survivor Member Posts: 1,184
    edited August 2022
  • Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167
    edited August 2022

Run whatever you want, whenever you want - Don't let other people dictate your perks. Run No mither every game for a month if you want to.

Just be conscious of time management, Self care even in it's butchered state still is a decent perk for the endgame I think since gates are done quickly and being healthy is top priority

Also yeah, medkits and circle are a thing.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 3,167

Im going to admit...

I use No Mither a lot. It's fun. (I do run Dead Hard and do get to use it pretty often, so I kind of have 2 health states... I like to play risky.)

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,279

I mean if we are losing and i see someone selfcaring in a corner constantly yeah...i'm not going to be very happy about it. Sometimes you need to be injured and do stuff.

Healing against legion is most of the times waste of time yet i see people self caring every 20 seconds .

Self carer can ruin the team sometimes.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Carrying a med kit means not carrying a toolbox and also means if they run something like Franklin’s you can lose it and it also has limited charges. Circle of Healing has limited range and takes time to set up. Again, the people who like Self Care like it because, even though it’s the slowest, it’s also the most flexible of all those options.

Also just because some people overuse Self Care doesn’t mean everybody does.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

I'm using Self-Care/BK/Bite the Bullet/Overcome and doing great.

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,233
    edited August 2022

You're healing one health state by spending 45 seconds & even with botany it's still ~30 seconds now if there is sloppy good look spending a minute healing. You can stop wasting perk slots and run the insanely strong medkit options which have always been right in your face.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,594

They are just being salty. They use some trumped-up reason to cast the loss on someone because it's easier than seeing the match as a whole and looking at their own mistakes.

Don't worry about it. The game has perks and many synergies for a reason and players are free to do as they please. Self-care is actually part of a very efficient high-end build, without Botany Knowledge.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

Because you deserve it for running it. Sorry not sorry.

If I see someone self caring you're making it a 3v2 and I'd rather to let you die on first hook than have dead weight still around.

So many healing perks + medkits and you decide to run one that is basically a killer perk at this point. Your fault.

• _kostas_pap_207
    _kostas_pap_207 Member Posts: 453

Because it's slow af especially if you don't use botany or the killer has sloppy

This perk is not nerfed to ground

But we have boons

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792
    edited August 2022

"Wow... you ran self care? No wonder we lost..."

That's not bullying.

• HarlockTaliesin
    HarlockTaliesin Member Posts: 763

Run what works for you. Everyone's play style is different. Everyone had an opinion about everything, whether or not they know anything about it.

If they give you ######### about it, make a note of their name. The next trial you have with them, when they inevitably get hooked, Self-Care in their face instead of unhooking them. See if you can give them an aneurysm.

• Ikalx
    Ikalx Member Posts: 134

Not quite related to the op, but as an alternative, does anyone have luck with Pharmacy? Is it good to run or pretty situational?