EAC on Steam Deck / Proton / Linux

Options

Comments

• Gustash
    Gustash Member Posts: 19
    Options

I still wasn’t able to get it running again. Have you been able to get it running multiple times? If so, could you change your launch args to `PROTON_LOG=1 %command%` and reply here with a log file of when the game runs? Should be in your home folder under the name steam-{GAME_ID}.log

I have a suspicion that the anti cheat is actually not working, the game is just ignoring the fact that it couldn’t download the files it needs. When you try downloading the wine64 binary for DbD EAC you get a 0 bytes file. This has happened before to other games temporarily. On some the games run fine, on others the game kicks you out eventually when it validates all your files.

The log would be helpful to figure out if that’s the case or not, but in any case, if someone gets the game running, BE CAREFUL. We haven’t heard anything official and if the anti cheat is turned off it might cause bans. If someone can get me the log file of the game starting I’d recommend you don’t play any games, just get the log file. At least until we know what’s going on.

• davidlicurici
    davidlicurici Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2022
    Options

Have you been able to get it running multiple times?

YES , but through many attempts, 20-30 attempts, I manage to pass the Initialization EAC Client, I search for a match, it stays open for 1 minute and 30 seconds, then it crashes , please add me on discord Licuツ#1811

EDIT:

Shall I upload your log file here?

• Gustash
    Gustash Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2022
    Options

I added you. It seems very much like the issues some other games have. Paladins is a good example, even though Paladins is fully playable for about a week after each patch. Basically EAC is letting you go through initialisation, and it thinks everything is fine. But after a while it checks again and sees that it doesn’t actually have a valid EAC so it kicks you out.

Thankfully it doesn’t seem to result in a ban, so far…

Update:

I got a log from a successful boot (thanks davidlicurici). Unfortunately it doesn't really offer a clear reason as to why the game boots sometimes. Considering that trying to download the wine64 EAC binary still gives this output:

./download.sh --id=83
    No '--os-type' argument, defaulting to wine64
     game id	 dl size	last modified (UTC)download saved as
     -------	 -------	------------------------------------
          83	       0	2021-10-08 03:38:23

I'm assuming no work has actually been done from Behaviour's side. The fact that it boots sometimes is probably an EAC bug, which explains why you can't actually join a game, since I assume the server realises you're not actually using EAC and kicks you out when it finishes matchmaking.

I just tested the PTB and the same issue is still there. For a second it seemed like Behaviour was actually following through on their (almost) year long promise, but in classical fashion that is not the case.

I'll see you guys in 2045 when we can actually play this on Linux.

Post edited by Gustash on
  • nikodemo
    nikodemo Member Posts: 758
    Options

Steam Deck is now purchasable in Japan.

DbD is pretty popular in Japan.

would be a shame if they couldn't...

play on Steam Deck.

;)

• PapaMikey
    PapaMikey Member Posts: 35
    Options

I love scrolling through the popular tab on protonDB.com just to see almost every game works now except for dead by daylight. It's sop rare to see "borked" now.

• ptibedo
    ptibedo Member Posts: 6
    Options
    It's starting to annoy me, I bought the game a while ago and I still can't play!
    I don't know why they take so long to enable eac on Linux. They are clearly taking us for idiots!
    I have 1 hour on the game while I've only been on the menu.

• nikodemo
    nikodemo Member Posts: 758
    Options

honestly, at this point, ask for a refund and tell Valve why. maybe it will spur someone into action

• lasj0as0d91
    lasj0as0d91 Member Posts: 3
    Options

I second this. Only when you touch their benefits will they care your need.

• davidlicurici
    Options

disappointing

• iMJets
    iMJets Member Posts: 2
    Options

I have Uninstalled windows in favor of steam os on my desktop. So I guess for the time being, I will be without this game. Which is fine by me, I have been wanting to switch to Linux for a while and since it appears no effort is being put in. I will add it to the games I don't need to play currently.

• solidnoctis
    solidnoctis Member Posts: 4
    Options

How's going this, this's already working on Steam Deck? I want to buy and play ittt.

• davidlicurici
    Options

Please BHV , make this game run on Steam Deck, it's the only reason why I still have Windows installed on Steam Deck

• iMJets
    iMJets Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2022
    Options

I forgot that the game mode was limited to the resolution of the steam deck. So I Uninstalled it for mandatory. Which has been pretty good for me. It feels good getting rid of windows for sure.

• jomarocas
    jomarocas Member Posts: 11
    Options

I have more than 300 hours playing this game, I latest only try if the game is working on Linux, but nothing I have iridescent fragments that I have not spent in-game because there is no working the game in ubuntu, only try if a new update makes the game working in them, is terrible, waiting for any update of devs, or my money also of my all friends that playing in Linux is not sufficient for BHVR.

• Pr0p3r9
    Pr0p3r9 Member Posts: 111
    Options

@Gustash @Rokolell

Is it wise to discuss methods that have an immediate possibility of getting dbd to start? It's doubtful that it'll speed up development of unix-like compatibility, but this troubleshooting could result in unfavorable consequences.

• ScoobyDoo
    ScoobyDoo Member Posts: 20
    Options

Also, for some reason I can't figure out how to edit my comments properly so I apologize if you suddenly see like 3 messages from me...

• ScoobyDoo
    Options

I see what you mean and I must admit, it did cross my mind that they are treading in perilous waters...

Yet, at the same time a part of me hopes that someone will find a way to play DbD on Linux and then, you know, Happy End and fireworks for Linux gamers etc.

But yeah, one should exercise caution when dealing with such matters...

• Zensunim
    Zensunim Member Posts: 156
    Options

I tried this out using Remote Play on my Steam Deck, and while the game looked great, the frame rate and input delay from Remote Play using wifi did make it difficult to play as both Killer (countering jukes) and Survivor (skill checks). It's sad because the game will run great on the Steam Deck otherwise.

• kizuati
    kizuati Member Posts: 1,386
    Options

DEVS PLEASE I want to switch to Linux get this thing bloody done already

• davidlicurici
    Options

please devs..

• Ralek
    Ralek Member Posts: 1
    Options

One of the biggest disappointments of switching to Linux was realizing this game was intentionally broken on it. C'mon

• Lyn
    Lyn Member Posts: 12
    Options

Where is this BHVR? Didn't you say it was coming?

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,455
    Options

We said it would come in the future, we did not give an ETA for Steam Deck and we specifically said it would not be at launch. When we have an ETA for when this will be implemented we will be sure to communicate that, until then, there is no information I'm afraid.

• Dad_
    Dad_ Member Posts: 19
    Options

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date Mandy. It is frustrating that the devs don't have any new information. For those out of the loop, Steam Deck support was confirmed 9 months ago. They said that the Steam deck would not be supported at launch, but the launch was back in late February. There have been hints of Steam Deck support in a few updates. Primarily in the form of an EAC library file, but nothing else since. Its understandable that other dev work is more important that adding Steam Deck support, but the silence is deafening.

• ScoobyDoo
    Options

Thank you kindly for replying and providing some insights on the situation. And, more importantly, thank you for your patience. I realize that it might seem like we aren't exactly forbearing, but I hope you understand that sometimes the feeling of "so close, yet so far" gets to us, especially when more and more titles are being added to the "Supported" section of the Steam Deck/Linux.

I do wish you and the entire Dead by Daylight Team all the best and look forward to the day when Dead by Daylight will come to Linux.

<3 <3 <3

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,455
    Options

I completely understand don't worry...as someone who'll be hopefully getting a Steam Deck shortly, I too want to play DbD on it, especially when travelling, so I do completely understand.

The minute I find out any information, I will update though.

<3

• ScoobyDoo
    edited August 2022
    Options

My comment editing is still acting weird...

Post edited by ScoobyDoo on
  • arsoul93
    arsoul93 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Surely you guys understand though that like, while everyone acknowledges BHVR has made so many improvements lately in terms of community management and taking on feedback for major changes - The most frustrating thing for so many players is things being announced and then left with no explanations or elaboration at all down the line regardless of whether they seem trivial or complex to implement. I remember seeing the initial announcement of support and the pessimist in me thinking to myself "I bet a year from now if I look at ProtonDB this will still be borked".

So is there any elaboration at all we can get on if its being tested? Or what stage of implementation its at? Or if there is any technical reasons that implementation would take a while? - We're all happy to be patient, but sometimes the "why" is important.

• CrypticGirl
    CrypticGirl Member Posts: 515
    Options

Just going to add my voice to the crowd, as I'm expecting to get my Steam Deck soon-ish. I am curious, if the game can be played via Remote Play if it won't work on the Deck itself. That's something I plan to experiment with once I get it. 

Grinding on the Steam version is daunting enough; I really don't want to do the entire grind on the Nintendo Switch version, too. Playing on the Switch can be insufferable, through Elgato and OBS due to input lag, and in handheld mode due to everything being too dark to see anything. So being able to play my main account on the go would be awesome. XD

• MarcMil
    MarcMil Member Posts: 11
    Options

Of course it can be played via remote play, but this requires an active computer somewhere else and much more delay than playing locally.

The steam deck is just a PC essentially, so when it works you have exactly the same state as on the computer/Windows version, i.e. no further grind should be necessary, even if cross progression is turned off.

• PapaMikey
    Options

wishin i was on the dev team rn

• ahmouse
    ahmouse Member Posts: 8
    Options

Can't wait for this. I cannot stress how much more important this was/is than releasing the meme that is Hooked on You. I know Proton/Linux support doesn't directly bring in profit like the meme game will, but player satisfaction unequivocally leads to long term revenue increase (Think Amazon). Plus, people who use Linux tend to be more invested in their computer and the games they play, which would could mean higher per-user spending than users of other platforms.

With that said, Behaviour, give Linux the same standards as Windows, and I'm sure the return on investment will be more than worth it.

Thank you.

• kizuati
    kizuati Member Posts: 1,386
    Options

Still waiting..

• PapaMikey
    Options

preach. by the way hooked on you runs on linux... LMAO ugh

• Nazo
    Nazo Member Posts: 15
    Options

The funny thing is not that Hooked on you works on Linux (since it's a singleplayer game with no anti cheat), is that other online games with EAC work PERFECTLY.

They have absolutely no reason to take all this time, but hey, we're talking about devs that take their time with practically every aspect of the game and when they make mistakes, they reward you with bloodpoints :)

• jakl
    jakl Member Posts: 8
    Options

+1

• widowmaker
    widowmaker Member Posts: 1
    Options

Came on to support this dev effort! Would love to see DbD on the deck, I'd definitely play more!

• PapaMikey
    Options

anti cheat will be fixed chapter 45: The Fortnite Chapter featuring Jonesy and Goku

• Stephen304
    Stephen304 Member Posts: 27
    Options

I tried for a while with remote play but the inconsistent latency made skill checks impossible to predict, on top of just the general added latency making it so I have to hit skill checks extra early. So I'm worried playing like that will just make it harder to switch back to non-remote play, and also makes all my teammates hate me.

• CrypticGirl
    CrypticGirl Member Posts: 515
    Options

Oh yeah, I have the same problem with playing on the Nintendo Switch via the Elgato Stream Deck + OBS, regarding input latency and skill checks. It's really insufferable at times...

• esaporski
    esaporski Member Posts: 1
    Options

Just came here to say that I would love to be able to play the game on Steam Deck. I got the game as a gift from my girlfriend and I'm saving some money to buy the Steam Deck eventually.

But for now, I'd play on my Linux machine.

• RobFord
    RobFord Member Posts: 1
    Options

+1 for Proton support!

• PapaMikey
    Options

got my steam deck email today, im gonna decline it and build my own rtx 3070 ryzen 5 pc in a small box and install the Steam Deck 3.0 OS

• lasj0as0d91
    lasj0as0d91 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2022
    Options

After a week or so this post will become 1 year old.

Good job behavior!

• zzee19
    zzee19 Member Posts: 48
    Options

+1 for Linux support. There are people in this topic said they can add eac support for free, maybe bhvr will offer them?

• zzee19
    zzee19 Member Posts: 48
    Options

I have found proton + eac official documentation for devs, looks like even I can do it, and for free

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/steamdeck/proton