What Motivates you to learn High Skill Characters?

Options

I used to play a lot of Artist and i would pretty much like to play her some more again.

But the problem is i basically only play nurse now for the last few months and compared to Nurse thats incredibly straightforward to use Artist has pretty high skill requirements to actually get good.

I feel like playing Artist would basically be a waste when i can put a fraction of the effort i need to get good at Artist to playing Nurse and continue doing much better.

Caw :C

Shall i go on a Nurse detox or something. When did i become such a meta slave.

Comments

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025
    Options

Are we talking about hard killers or Jeff?

If I don't have to do basic looping with a killer, then I probably gonna play them. And if I play them and like them, I'll learn them over time, because I don't go out of my way to learn something with the mindset of getting better at them. I have too high expectations of myself.

• Tsela
    Tsela Member Posts: 524
    Options

Lore, or something that just feels "cool" about the character design.

I don't really care about some killer "tiers" I just play characters which are cool.

So among my favorites was Doc, Pyramid head, Hag (oh gosh I even have prestige 10 on that one), and lately Sadako, and planning to learn to play with Dredge.

I was never truly interested in Nurse. While I was excited about her looks since I LOVE Silent Hill, her aim and shoot movement playstyle was not my cup of tea, nor I found it very interesting for me personally.

• AhoyWolf
    AhoyWolf Member Posts: 4,053
    Options

Play whoever you want, if you want to play Artist, ditch Nurse and go ahead.

It will take a while to relearn her, it will be rough, but watching yourself get better and better feels great.

• SuzuKR
    SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910
    Options

The direct and obvious skill/practice-to-reward growth as you improve.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

Nothing hence why I play clown

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,459
    Options

Nothing. I just play them when I feel like it.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140
    Options

If I like their esthetic, lore, gameplay.

I used to watch my friends play DbD before I got the game, and pretty much immediately decided that Hag looked really cool and that giving out jumpscares sounded fun, so I was distraught to learn she was above the skill level of a bumbling new player.

I've started learning killer with a simpler one (Legion my beloved), but nothing feels more rewarding to me than a good Hag 4K, even though it's a bit harder to get.

• Dead_Harder
    Dead_Harder Member Posts: 1,370
    Options

I started replaying her.

Its a strange feeling. I suck with her, i can see how much i suck with her but survivors suck too so im getting 4ks.

I think i should ignore hooks and just practice. Maybe get into habit of sacrifice 2, let 2 go for a while.

• amazing_grace
    amazing_grace Member Posts: 734
    Options

When I started to learn her, I prioritized using her M2 in chase and trying to only use M2 unless the survivor just ran into me. Practice getting the swarm bird hit and then being able to follow up with a second bird. I've learned that this is the best way to play her.

Hide her second bird which is the downing bird behind a LOS blocker and just remember the trajectory and chase the survivor so they path in that trajectory. Time it well so the bird reaches the survivor at the correct time (requires knowing distances and flight speeds/survivor running speeds) and then you got your down.

I enjoy her because its so satisfying downing people with birds and getting fun snipes, but it's also because I just like her style of play. I personally enjoy that she requires a lot of map knowledge and survivor pathing knowledge because I have way more hours in survivor than killer, so I feel like her style fits me.

• Dead_Harder
    Options

Thanks. Solid tips.

I should probably play mainly m2s till i get good.

Im also trying to get better at direct hits but man is it hard. Oh btw do you remember if the birds still damage if they pass through you?

• amazing_grace
    Options

To my knowledge, they still damage if they pass through you. I haven't noticed otherwise recently, but I haven't run into that situation often. Usually that only comes up when people are trying to take hits towards the exit gate and I'll try to eat through health states then.

Direct hits are definitely difficult to do with her without her add on (Matthias' baby shoes), but I usually try to memorize which survivors just run in front of the bird right away when you place it and which bait it out. That's basically the two things they can do with your antiloop. Sometimes it's a 50/50 like any other killer, just watch out for dead hard.

• Dead_Harder
    Options

I try to use them when i know they need to use a window to drop down or something, or prep it upwards stairs when im in a house etc.

Trapping loops is a good way to get direct hits but its also the most basic way to play her imo. Thats the floor.

• amazing_grace
    Options

Yeah, I think one of my favorite hits is when I place a bird at a bottom of a drop and then down them with it. Definitely takes them by surprise when they think they were sneaky (I do this with trapper too, plus silent trap add on). Another really devious bird direct hit is placing two birds at the top of the basement stairs as survivors are running up. Usually I'm not close enough to the basement to do this, but when I am, it almost guarantees another survivor in the basement.

• SekiSeki
    SekiSeki Member Posts: 516
    Options

The challenge itself and knowing that not many within the game are truly excelling with them. I get that most with Billy and Huntress and that is why I play them so much.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,545
    Options

to me its the cool/Atmospheric aspect for killers. I like the way Pinhead changes the way the game is played, and how he has unique animations with his chase power being exclusively skill-based and dodgeable.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,541
    Options

Just to see how I do playing the harder Killers

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,201
    Options

How you're not bored playing one killer. I play them all some more ofcourse but if I end up playing one more than few games it's gets boring.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options

Only for fun, which is why I would never learn Artist. Albeit, she is not particularly hard to play... At all?

I have no idea why kind of weird warped gaming genes you have where you struggle as her and excel at Nurse, and I am not even sure I am jealous. I would rather be able to execute basic concepts with ease than randomly have high skill floor stuff mastered.

It is weird to me that so many people who CLEARLY resonate with Nurse do not even like her. I tend to like characters I resonate with regardless because, you know, they are my style? Wraith is my least favorite killer design and lore wise, but hey, I am really good at him. So you know? I play him without crying about it. And if he was the best killer in the game, I would have considered it a jackpot.

Uncle Ruckus Nurse mains be strange. Just in case I was not direct enough about it.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923
    Options

They are just more fun most of the time. Like something such as sadako is such a snoozefest to play since it always feels so samey and boring VS something like billy where you just zoom across the map and are constantly in chase and always going for sick curves

• Dead_Harder
    Options

I like Nurse a lot, its just that i want to diversify the killers i play but Artist is such a hard killer to get good at. I'm not talking about trapping loops and playing as an M1 killer Artist. I want to be good with her power and using it effectively to snipe or during chase while you are not at loops is insanely hard. Nurse is pretty straightforward, you just need good muscle memory and ok reaction times and thats it.

Also i hope you dont leave the game after Reassurance, would be a shame.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    Options

High skill characters? DBD is mechanically a low skill game.

• VexTheHex
    VexTheHex Member Posts: 1,009
    Options

This.

Certain mains like Nurses and Spirits just like to pretend they are getting a masters in chemistry when in reality they are learning basic M2 and M1 clicking.

• Dead_Harder
    Options

Mechanically, there is nothing hard about playing dbd. Even hardest technical characters like nurse are easy af and compared to learning to play say, a fighting game this game is a joke.

But that being said, go ahead and try to get good enough to get cross map injures or downs regularly with Artist. I dare you.

• DEMONANCE
    DEMONANCE Member Posts: 800
    Options

i don't like leaving a killer untouched (except the ones i really found not suitable/fun for me) which are only a few thankfully.

i like to experiment with most of them depending on the mood. however i found that I like trickster and nurse the most due to their different playstyle

as much as i hate playing against a nurse and call for her to be nerfed but playing her and not having to go through the normal pallet/window looping cycle feels so good. i constantly can be in chase and not have to deal with broken maps or w holding. it's pretty funny since i thought I'd never touch her after i tried her once and she was too hard for me but she's definitely worth it.

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,435
    Options

I play all multiplayer games to get better at something. And once I picked up blight there was simply no point in playing any other killer as his skill ceiling is god like. All of his techs are easy compared to bump logic, and bump logic is everchanging due to the rng nature of the game. Forcing tiles to work regardless of how unfavorable it is for blight feels amazing. Plus blight takes away the most boring and unskillful part of killer, W.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773
    Options

Great Idea for practice, I tend to do games with only downs, never hooking when trying to practice.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,177
    Options

You can create a post "What motivates you to play low tier killers"

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,921
    Options

I just like the challenge. Playing an optimal killer with all the best perks doesn't interest me, so when playing as someone like The Onryō (as I currently am) it's all an experiment to see how well I can do with whatever random tools I get from the randomizer and what the killer themself can do.