What if for the first 20 seconds of the match all Gens are blocked?

Options
Chocolate_Cosmos
Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,460
edited September 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

To help killers with early pressure and not get 3 gens done when you get you first down.

But maybe for someone like Nurse or Blight it could be too good since they don't need this but again most killers would be happy about this change.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Mtom912
    Mtom912 Member Posts: 22
    Options

60 seconds base kit corrupt goes away on first down, the perk extends duration by 80 sec

• allMadhere
    allMadhere Member Posts: 101
    Options

I think a separate objective might be a good idea, but then the devs just have more stuff to balance, and more opportunity for bugs (though it should be considered). Just blocking off the gens seems kind of redundant (and makes for dead play time) considering Corrupt Intervention exists anyways.

An idea I posted a while back - have 2 'fuse box' type panels on the outer perimeter walls. One of these fuse boxes must be found and activated before the generators can be worked on (maybe an instant switch flick, maybe takes a few seconds of interaction). The killer cannot see the auras of these perimeter panels. Would help to get the survivors spread out and doing something (other than gens) immediately, and the killer knows where the survivors are headed first.

• JoByDaylight
    JoByDaylight Member Posts: 707
    Options

I understand the need for some killers who struggle in the early game, but this would only lead to survivors hiding in corners/lockers for the first 20 seconds.

• BringShaggytoDBD
    BringShaggytoDBD Member Posts: 412
    Options

I thought about something like this the other day. The issue isn't so much gens being unblocked from the get go, but more the survivor spawns. More often than not I spawn right next to a gen and am already working on one less than 5 seconds into the game.

I know it's difficult to address spawns with a game that random generates tiles, but they should try making all survivors spawns together in the basement (or shack) and the killer the furthest point from the survivor spawn. This way, survivors would need to travel to a gen before they start working on it and the killer can b line for the survivors spawn ideally picking off one survivor. The counter play would be survivors hiding or mind gaming. The advantage survivors would have is they all start together and can decide to split or stick together.

• Patchouli_Knowledge
    Options

won't do much. if all gens are blocked everyone would be hiding. your killer time is wasted as well if you can't find anybody.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,927
    edited September 2022
    Options

Wouldn't that just make it harder to find survivors? Most are found at gens at the start of the game. If we couldn't go to gens then I imagine we'd all just wait for 30 seconds in lockers or the corner of the map or something. You'd rather a 20 second game of hide n seek at the start of every match? I know I wouldn't

• 6659Leg
    6659Leg Member Posts: 102
    Options

Well you actually explained it and he stayed quiet,good on you man!

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,000
    Options

I'm not sure why so many are jumping to the conclusion that this would be a killer buff.

As it stands, killers can predict spawn locations and come straight to you, regardless of Lethal Pursuer.

With this added time, it would give survivors the room to reposition themselves and start the game on any gen, not just the ones directly opposite the killers spawn point. It would offer time to do totems without trading in objective efficiency.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140
    Options

Would be too much in my opinion. That would essentially be a free first down, unless survivors locker-hopped for 20 seconds, which is not an enjoyable thing to face according to most killers... But that I would do without hesitation if all gens were locked for any duration of time.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108
    Options

If the killer can't see the auras of the boxes, then how does he know where the survivors are headed first? (Without lethal)

• Gamall
    Gamall Member Posts: 487
    Options

No ty

• TheLastHook
    TheLastHook Member Posts: 495
    Options

lets give them all a rocket launcher too that destroys generators on a 5 second

The only side that has actual weapons are Survivors: Flashbang, Blast Mine, Decisive Strike, Head On.

So far, Survivors are the ones that weaponized lockers and generators. The poor Trapper that needs to collect its weak trap around the map while generators pop... not so much.

• Toaster427
    Toaster427 Member Posts: 115
    Options

Git gud.

If you're still struggling with killer after the killer buff patch then it's a skill issue. Killer is easy mode now.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,545
    Options

Solidifying Lethal meta without buffing Lethal.

• get_barted
    get_barted Member Posts: 206
    Options

It doesn't help that there is an offering that survivors can spawn together

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025
    Options

B-but, how am I supposed to Gen-Rush? :(

• Kirahie
    Kirahie Member Posts: 354
    Options

The game still massively favors survivors. Sure at low ranks it might be killer sided but at anything above average skill, survivors will be winning most games.

Also.. swfs are becoming more and more common. To the point I think 2 man swfs are more popular then soloq.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

Survivors can already do that now, they can just intentionally choose not to do the first gen they see. The fact that this doesn’t happen implies most survivors think that’s not a good strategy so forcing them to do it is effectively a nerf for them.

• jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 880
    Options

Yeah I never start the gen I spawn by. I always assume perks like Lethal and BBQ are in play and act accordingly.

• Entitled_survivor
    Entitled_survivor Member Posts: 828
    Options

Survivors splittin on gens when game starts is the worst possible thing that can happen to a killer ,,, I'd like a baby corrupt equivalent to baby basekit BT survs have,,thing is while it will be fair with slower killers high tier killers that already have the potential to stomp regardless such as nurse/blight will be even more oppresive in the right hands

• Seraphor
    edited September 2022
    Options

It's not a good strategy because the imstant objective progress is more beneficial.

Without that as an option you no longer have the conflict and get the best of both worlds, the ability to choose your generator AND the ability to start the objective instantly (the moment it becomes available).

This is like saying killers could choose to not camp and tunnel but they don't, therefore forcing killers to not camp and tunnel is a killer nerf. Make the healthy option more profitable.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,214
    Options

But thats how the game is designed. At the beginning, killer has no pressure, and survivors have resources in form of pallets.

But then, as the game progresses, the killer increases the pressure and the survivors resources dwindle. Thus, killer gets stronger and survivor weaker during the game.

If you want killer to start strong, what would you suggest for survivors to keep up when their resources are gone?

Otherwise it would just be another plain killer buff. But seeing the state solo queue is in, more killer buffs to keep up with swf might not be a smart move.

• Lynxx
    Lynxx Member Posts: 510
    Options

Congratulations - now you just made everyone hide for 20 seconds and made Lethal Pursuer meta.

• shiroo
    shiroo Member Posts: 178
    Options

That's what Corrupt Intervention is for if you need some time in the early game to set up.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

Forcing killers to "not tunnel" is a nerf, no question.

• shiroo
    shiroo Member Posts: 178
    Options

Also blocking all gens is not gonna do you any good. What survivors are gonna do in that time? Sit by the campfire and talk and wait for you? No, they will go and hide so you find absolutely no one in that time.

At least with Corrupt Intervention you have an easier time finding someone because Survs will just go to the closest gen that is not blocked.

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,334
    Options

It will be too strong for certain killers. (You know what I mean)

• VideoGameMage
    VideoGameMage Member Posts: 358
    Options

Yeah, didn't they say it was actually too powerful for set up killers like trapper and hag when they tested it internally? Then again, they also said that about many things in the past. "We can't give survivors any basekit buffs or more info because it was too strong in our tests" 3 years later and we now have basekit BT and will be receiving action HUD icons (even if it's taking 84 years to actually get them).

So who knows, maybe they'll change their mind about early game collapse. In the meantime corrupt intervention will have to do.

• drakolyr
    drakolyr Member Posts: 322
    Options

With that logic, survivors should get a buff everytime another survivor dies, cause its the worst part for the other survivors.

• Rise432
    Rise432 Member Posts: 162
    Options

make it 300 seconds and also killers get bloodlust 3 if they chased a survivor for 5 seconds, think this would help them get the early pressure they clearly need

• sonata93
    sonata93 Member Posts: 418
    Options

Absolutely not. The gen speed buff during the big update combined with stacked gen slow-down/regression perks already makes this aspect of the game ridiculously dull for survivors. Delaying it by 20 seconds will only make it worse, and will be tilting the game far more towards killer-sided.

• allMadhere
    allMadhere Member Posts: 101
    edited September 2022
    Options

Oh, all I meant was that the killer would understand they'd be searching around the outer perimeter, as the fuse box switches would always be there. So this idea nullifies the issue of 'well survivors will just hide at the beginning' because they have an objective to go do. If that makes more sense :)

(this would also address the issue of survivor spawns, and immediately hopping on the nearest generator)

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869
    Options

So survivors can go hide on a locker or behind a rock in a corner for 20 seconds?

• Marik1987
    Marik1987 Member Posts: 1,700
    Options

Isnt it already? I see Lethal a lot in my current games. Distortion is reacting every 2nd game at the beginning of the trial

• darkcloudlink
    darkcloudlink Member Posts: 326
    Options

I don't agree at all. Good survivors typically won't just jump on the first gen they see. If a survivor spawns next to a generator, they need to take into account 3 things:

1. What are my surroundings?
    2. How safe is this generator to repair?
    3. Should I be repairing this generator now?

Mindlessly repairing gens at the start of the match can often lead to a triple gen setup for a killer, which may end up costing survivors the match right from the very start. What you SHOULD do as a survivor is:

1. Determine whether or not the gen you spawn next to is in not in a place that is easily defendable. Often this will be a main building. Some are so strong you may want to avoid doing the gen in the main building and save it for late game because the killer still has a reason to be there, and you'll have access to a strong loop. Conversely, if you are in a corner of the map where there are no pallets, you may choose to work on that gen to get it out of the way (if you know the killer is occupied). This isn't without risk, because you are prone to being cornered if the killer comes after you.
    2. Use the time you have in the beginning of a match in to look at how structures and objects spawn. If you immediately work on a gen you spawn next to, you may not notice the pig box on the other side of a structure or a Hex totem in a nearby loop. This can lead to survivors being caught off guard. Walking to a nearby structure might reveal the killer's identity, other gen/totem spawns or even other survivors.
    3. Use the time you have in early game to familiarize yourself with the area to form an escape strategy should the killer come for you. Maybe there is a TL wall behind you that chains into a long wall jungle gym, then into a junk tile into killer shack. You don't know your map setups unless you look before it's too late. If you know what to expect when you run in any given direction, you're more likely to stay alive.

Instant progress is worthless when you have no strategy in mind.

• Seraphor
    Options

These are all reasons in favour of blocking gens at the start of the match.

Each one you've said "use the time at the start of the match" ...

• darkcloudlink
    darkcloudlink Member Posts: 326
    Options

Those are not reasons for blocking gens. Leaving the gens as is gives players options and allows them to create strategies, or just risk it all and go all in on gens. One thing the devs don’t want to do is remove player agency. If a survivor wants to jump on a gen the instant they load in, that’s within their right to do so. Is it risky? Possibly, but it should be their choice.

When I say “use the time at the start of a match”, I’m not saying “you need to spend the first 30+ seconds scoping out the map, so hey, let’s block gens for that time”. These are quick, on the fly decisions. You take 5-10 seconds, do a quick check, look at the loop next to you, check out the window spawns, then settle in and work on a gen. Maybe everyone spawns together, you immediately spread out, take note of your surroundings and immediately jump on a gen. Every second someone isn’t on a generator means the killer is gaining pressure and momentum. Gens should NOT be blocked. Let the killer run Corrupt Intervention if they want to slow the early game down.