The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Another Space Esports issue?

hannah
hannah Member Posts: 10

Space Esports is under another attack, as they've been caught stealing artwork, and using it for the tournament. This would be fine if they had credited the artist, or if they weren't making a profit off of this, but since this is a business, I find this unacceptable.
Here is the link to the reddit post where the creator addressed the situation :
https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/8thpwo/the_background_in_this_poster_was_originally_made/
and here is the original post, from deviantart :
https://archangel470.deviantart.com/art/Hello-Meg-SFM-4K-729020246

Comments

• ZiNc
    ZiNc Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 250

Hm. This anniversary has been... odd

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

They had enough time to sort things out for the anniversary.
    They could have organized the tournament themselfes instead of resorting to shady Space Esports.

• Paddy4583
    Paddy4583 Member Posts: 864
    edited June 2018
    Lol
    yet original artist! His origninal
    is just edited images that he doesn’t own what they’ve done is exactly what he’s done.
    im pretty sure You don’t need permission to use your own licenced characters, however he does need permission if he’s making money from it as this would be copyright infringement on his part
  • Uberfish
    Uberfish Member Posts: 19

This is a pretty grey area. The characters and franchises depicted are not owned by the artist, however, you could argue that the picture is derivative works and therefore the piece is still protected by copyright. Either way, space didn't ask permission from the artist and have clearly used google image search to put together all their other stream cards and image-based media.

At the end of the day, it's another great example of how unprofessional this company is.

• hannah

@ZiNc said:
    Hm. This anniversary has been... odd

at the very least. aha

• hannah

@Tsulan said:
    They had enough time to sort things out for the anniversary.
    They could have organized the tournament themselfes instead of resorting to shady Space Esports.

Space Esports actually reached out to the devs to do the tournament, they were advertising on discord.gg/deadbydaylight for the longest time before the devs announced it in the stream as an anniversary event.

• hannah

@Paddy4583 said:
    Lol
    yet original artist! His origninal
    is just edited images that he doesn’t own what they’ve done is exactly what he’s done.
    im pretty sure You don’t need permission to use your own licenced characters, however he does need permission if he’s making money from it as this would be copyright infringement on his part

It isn't BHVR that gets the pay, it is Space Esports that is, simple credit to whoever made this is simple and causes no harm. It was their own render that they made, yes it is using Meg Thomas and Jigsaw but credit is still due, however they just posted this, if only credit was given when it was due.

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640

@hannah
    too late for them to send a shout out
    but comparing too what they've done up until now this is the least of the worrys

• Zagrid
    Zagrid Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,000
    These guys just suck.
  • Shadoureon
    Shadoureon Member Posts: 493

They are a joke.

I posted:

This tournament has stupid rules. These games arent even real games just fake gameplay.

Then got banned for 10 minutes... People get banned for the slightest negative comments regarding the tournament or its host. They cant handle critique whatsoever. Its the truth even. Disqualifying people for bodyblocking... Thats what happens in real matches. Stop trying to make the game look better than it is with these stupid rules. No perks, no blocking. Way to show fake gameplay lol.

• hannah

@Thatbrownmonster said:
    @hannah
    too late for them to send a shout out
    but comparing too what they've done up until now this is the least of the worrys

I agree, the damage has been done, not much else they can do to fix it now

• hannah

@Zagrid said:
    These guys just suck.

you said it duuude

• hannah

@Shadoureon said:
    They are a joke.

I posted:

This tournament has stupid rules. These games arent even real games just fake gameplay.

Then got banned for 10 minutes... People get banned for the slightest negative comments regarding the tournament or its host. They cant handle critique whatsoever. Its the truth even. Disqualifying people for bodyblocking... Thats what happens in real matches. Stop trying to make the game look better than it is with these stupid rules. No perks, no blocking. Way to show fake gameplay lol.

They deleted their facebook reviews because of the negative critique they had been receiving, they just dont like taking the negativity and the stuff the community has been saying about their joke of a tournament.

• Might_Oakk
    Might_Oakk Member Posts: 1,243

@Shadoureon said:
    They are a joke.

I posted:

I got timed out as well. In many years it was the first time I'd ever been timed out in a twitch chat. Not sure what I said even... was something about the music o.O