It’s ok to admit you tunneled…

So I’ve had killers argue and streamers argue that don’t tunnel when it’s very clear they very much do. It’s a semantic argument of the « tunneling is one person » and « I hooked someone between your hooks »

Heres the thing: I had a Nemesis with starstruck who downed person A, went a hooked them and noticed with the Wesker perk person B hiding. He downed and hooked person B while I (injured) unhooked person A. I expected to be downed(the hooks were super close) and go on the hook but instead he waited out BT to down person A and hook them to then go straight to person B who just got unhooked.

He did this till both were out of the game before hooking either myself or teammate . When person A called him out for tunneling, he went on a rant about how he did not tunnel and how he was just playing efficiently. Both of those can be true, I just don’t get how one can’t own up to playing a strategic way.

if you don’t consider this tunneling, what do you consider it?

Comments

• skylerbound
    skylerbound Member Posts: 753

Normally I would in this case the hooks were line of sight next to each other. I waited for him to get closer to other hook but person A was nearing second stage. Unfortunate set up but alas it was what it was

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

I personally consider that tunneling as well, though in your precise circonstances the unhook was unsafe and that's partly on the unhooker.

But in my opinion if the killer alternates between two survivors to get them both out of the game quick, no matter how others throw themselves in protection hits, it's efficient tunneling, which means not losing time camping or twiddling their thumbs waiting for the guy to be unhooked to tunnel them. You can tunnel and multitask.

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710

Did you make an attempt to block for the person you unhooked?

Did you take a hit?

I realize you were injured but you could've made it more convenient to hook you than chase the other guy, it doesnt work all the time, but often you can get them to get you instead.

I alwaya run sabotage for these situations either they break it up to get me or i make it real hard to get that next hook on the person i unhook.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,610

There are only really two outcomes to this, depending on opinion.

Either tunnelling is always a bad thing, in which case this clearly isn't tunnelling.

Or, this is tunnelling, so tunnelling is at worst a value-neutral term and not all instances of tunnelling are a problem.

Personally, I think the first option is the more productive angle to take. It muddies the water to include situations where survivors misplay so badly that they get downed again soon after unhook, it's hard to talk about tunnelling as a bad thing that warrants fixing that way.

• Gary_Coleman
    Gary_Coleman Member Posts: 732
    edited September 2022

I tunneled. Please don't tell my mom.

Actually, its hard to not tunnel against 4 identical survivors.

I would have to see the gameplay to answer that question.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

Truuue.

I'm not a big fan of tunneling, neither experiencing it as survivor or doing it as killer, but swfs that all use the same cosmetic don't get to complain about being tunneled. I generally play in duos and sometimes we get two identical Neas or Megs as teammates, that will often try and mess with the killer and then complain about one of them getting tunneled ??

If you're wearing the same thing how could they know ?

• xTalon32
    xTalon32 Member Posts: 413

Playing smart.

Honestly tunneling means many different things to many different people. And quite frankly I don't think tunneling exists and I'll tell you why. Blaming the killer for unsafe "rescues" and calling it "tunneling" does not make your bad rescues the killers fault. Why should the killer bother going for a healthy survivor when they can go get an injured one that's going to die on the next hook or 2? A player out of the game slows it down which is what the killer wants.

Now, camping is a legit strategy but also leads to "tunneling". And honestly the only reason it's complained about is because it's frustrating. Getting into a game and being the first one hooked then being targeted sucks, but it's part of the game. My last match was against bubba, I got downed first and camped to death, while 2 team mates disconnected and didn't bother trying to play.

Now why is camping a big part of the game? Because most killers are weak, and their powers useless. You'll never win with map pressure on a killer that can't provide that pressure. You'll never win with gen pressure without a killer who can pressure gens. There are too many killers that work VERY well with camping that you may rarely see another strategy. And you can easily break camping if you work as a team, but most survivors don't.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,866

If you’re doing it at 5 gens only to go out of your way to make a survivor’s experience miserable, then yes there is something wrong with that.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923
    edited September 2022

3 adas with medkits so I couldnt even keep track of who was the injured one and of course the 1 other dude was the obsession ended up 3 hooking one of them before hooking anyone else.

Post edited by BoxGhost on
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

The word "admit" somewhat implies wrong doing.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

That Nemmy knows how to play hockey

• AlkaloidssOP
    AlkaloidssOP Member Posts: 254

Ok there's a lot to unpack here. First off, tunneling is sometimes necessary in order for the killer to have some chance of winning. Sometimes you get unlucky or get gens done in 50 seconds etc. You need to get someone out quickly then.

Then we have the other kind which is just tunneling someone out because of spite or some other petty reason. Thing is, how would we deal with tunneling so it doesn't completely screw up killers in the n.1 scenario?

Personally I think if the killer would be required to get 12 hooks, then there would need to be a massive increase of the time needed to repair generators. Otherwise it's pretty much impossible. And that's not ideal either, so what do we do?

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911

Survivors: "toxic tunneling camper"

Me:

• skylerbound
    skylerbound Member Posts: 753

I think that’s the thing too, Idc if a killer is playing fair. Just seems silly to say «I didn’t do » something when strategically it was the easier option.

• AJStyIez
    AJStyIez Member Posts: 419

By posting this you're being hypocritical. You're also actually the one making an argument based on semantics by trying to imply that the Killer has to "admit" to an action (implying its illegal or wrong to do) while you're overly-focused on the word 'tunnel' and whether or not it applies. Whether they "admit" to it or not the end results of that match didn't change, can't change and won't change so what difference does it make?

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

What if he didn't leave? My guess is that he stayed near the hooks waiting for someone to come along. I could be wrong though.

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869

Perhaps a more adequate title for this post would have been "its ok to tunnel"

Otherwise it might appear you're simply trying to shame killers in a passive aggressive manner.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,851

Yea, that’s tunneling. I agree, if you want to use that strat, you’re well in that right. But don’t be delusional about it. Maybe that was his only offense of tunneling and he didn’t remember that instance.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,018

Sometimes I tunnel on complete accident as I see two batches of scratch marks, so I don’t know which one to follow

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699

As would be the proper strat for Nemi in this situation. If you got two survivors on two close hooks, I don't see why you'd leave lol

Theres no such thing as a "safe unhook" in this situation unless the killer is the nicest chap you've ever met.

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,171
    1. You're hook farming. If you know he's playing like that, buy as much time and don't be as predictable. There are other things to do in the game besides immediately go for an unhook.
    2. You mentioned hooks being super close to one another. Why didn't any of you run the killer to a dead zone or other area of the map to create a bigger gap between hooks so going back & forth would be more difficult/time consuming?
    3. If he's able to just go back and forth like that, its usually because the killer banks on you saving/predicting you being altruistic and not doing gens.
    4. You can also bodyblock for certain hits if you were really concerned with your teammates being killed early. Might not save them but can buy them time to get distance and for you to immediately hop on a gen.
    5. Nothing wrong with tunneling, its a valid strategy and survivors need to stop complaining about it. The fact is, killers don't care about your fun and if tunneling = secures a win, especially a weak teammate who is a horrible runner, why do you think the killer should ignore that?

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,613

technically tunneling is when a killer focus to take down a single survivor, no matter what it will goes in his way (people who bodyblock/do gens while the killer is just 2 meter ahead/other survivors that could be an easier pray due to being in the open without pallets or windows), he will focus only on that specific survivor until he will be dead for good. in that case this felt like tunneling because those survivors didn't had "breathing room", since they were chased instantly the moment that they left the hook, but it really isn't.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

I have been accused of tunneling plenty when I did no such thing... I am not afraid to admit it. I am a face camp god. I literally face camp for FUN. You think I am worried that some survivor did not appreciate a tunnel? Hell nah. But when they come at me with their gaslight, gatekeep, girl boss attitudes, I am not going to take credit for their feelings. I like to earn my salt the authentic way. Not being gifted it by some peasant who never looked up the term they are crying about.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096

Verdict is not tunnelling. Nem gained the advantage and played accordingly.

Re-downing and re-hooking like this isn't tunneling and there is nothing wrong with doing so. Both players were the easier targets and so he went after them.

• Metronix
    Metronix Member Posts: 226

I don't tunnel. Had a game on dead dawg saloon with a Rebecca who was either really unlucky or plainly unskilled yet. Got her, hooked her, found her again after she was unhooked. By the third time I thought to myself, "yeah, leave her be" and crossed the entire map to find the others. Do I need to mention, that I encountered her not too long after? Got a second chance, not more. I think I got two kills that trial and I’m very sure it would have been a 4k if I just finished her off earlier.

Whatever, it was a fun match.

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025

I only tunnel for the greater good

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152
    edited September 2022

"Offense"? Tunneling is a criminal/illegal act nowadays? 🤣🤣

• Nihlus
    Nihlus Member Posts: 301

The problem is that you just can't know what the random person on the internet playing againt you is thinking. Sometimes you'll get people that just want to play a fun game. Usually, you'll get sweaty tryhards that will stop at nothing to get their kill asap so they can brag to their 10 cats about how good they are before their mom tells them to wash off that sweat and go to bed. It's just the way PvP games will always be.

Best way to avoid these kinds of games is to have 4 friends and just play customs where you can control how people play better.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,090

I proudly admit I tunnel. It's turned 0Ks into 2Ks and 2Ks into 4ks for me.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,493

What you mention only focusing one survivor is hard tunneling. But this killer tunneled stragedically survivor A out. But in between also downed and hooked another survivor to be effient. Because just hard tunneling one out and ingroning others is not usually good stragedy and he did get easy down with startruck. He most likely would tunneled survivor A out even if he didn't get survivor B. As he ingroned injured unhooker.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

It’s still tunneling. I really don’t know why people don’t admit it. I have no problem admitting when I tunnel someone… I just don’t get it.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

Hey if the situation calls for it I'm probably gonna do it.

Happily and that's perfectly fine.

I make no apologies for making sensible in game choices.

• EvilBarney666
    EvilBarney666 Member Posts: 334

I honestly love this take. What a great point. Never thought of it that way! 👍

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,004

"his only offense of tunnelling".

Dude, tunnelling isn't an offence.

• LinkToReality
    LinkToReality Member Posts: 115

The first thing I'll say is If three gens are done all is permitted, tunnel, slug, camp, do what has to be done to regain the pressure.

Also, if someone is hooked after Player A then Player A is free game again.

It's only truly tunneling if you hook Player A and then wait until they're unhooked only to go for them again straight away. If you take your time to get a second player down and hooked while the others unhook the first you've done your job of spreading the hooks..

• KerJuice

You’re thinking of the definition of offense as in: “a breach of a law or RULE.” That’s objective. It’s fact and can’t be debated or disputed. There is no RULE that says killers can’t tunnel. I am not an advocate for entitled hidden survivors’ rulebook. But at the same time I personally choose to go by it when I play killer, because I do not like how it feels when it’s done to me as survivor. I keep that same energy and don’t get upset at killers for using it, just frustrated with the game’s design.

I’m referring to a second definition of offense as in: “annoyance or resentment brought about by a PERCEIVED insult to or disregard to oneself or one’s standards or principles.” This definition is Subjective. So in other words, players like myself can get offended when being tunneled because we ourselves find that in poor sportsmanship (just an opinion). When we play killer, we don’t tunnel. That’s our principle(s). This is our perception, hence me calling it an “offense.”

I prefaced that last line by acknowledging tunneling is a strat and killers are well in their right to do so. Why would you completely ignore that? You come across as being defensive & one who gatekeeps tunneling. Do you not agree with me that’s it’s a strat and well in the killer’s right to use it?

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,004

I didn't ignore what you had said about tunnelling as a strat. Quite frankly, you appeared to be contradicting yourself by stating that tunnelling is a legit strat then calling it an offence. That was the point of my post. When you use a negative statement like "offence" in the less-common meaning of the word it's probably better to clarify that.

By the very dictionary definition that you quoted calling it "his offence of tunnelling" is very clearly using the first definition. The form of your statement followed the definition of the first dictionary meaning IE "breach of a law or rule" - offence is used as a descriptor of his action not a response to it.

Seriously. Re-read what you said in full:

"Maybe that was his only offense of tunneling and he didn’t remember that instance."

Be honest - tell me that it doesn't sound like you're using the first definition not the second. You're not using offence to describe your feelings, you're using offence to describe his actions - there is no mention of you or anyone else in that sentence, no mention of annoyance or resentment, just him and his actions.

• KerJuice

Then I used the word wrong. Apologies. But I’m definitely referring to it as the second definition. One misuse of a word shouldn’t contradict the entire idea (at least I don’t think so- especially since it’s one word vs. an entire thought that prefaced it). What I wrote prior in regards to tunneling being a strat and in the killer’s rights shows my true thoughts, and if anything, one should be able to determine I misused the word. I mean, the same word has more than one meaning. That’s my opinion anyway- even if it’s an unpopular one.

Anyways we are going off topic here- remember my original post was in relation to this thread, suggesting maybe OP’s killer only tunneled once and he forgot, and that’s why he denied it.