Balancing around Tunneling and Camping.

It's really a travesty of design to balance around unfun things, imagine if classic pvp games like Halo or Doom LAN play balanced around using the same, 1 boring gun to kill everyone, every single time. There needs to be some basekit encouragement for killers to not tunnel, making perks that severely punish killers for camping and tunneling, while forcing them to play on straight up unfair maps is terrible and leads to some really lopsided matches. Now we're seeing the consequences of this method of balancing as well, I only face anti-loop/strong killers now, it's always Blight, Nemesis, Nurse, Huntress, Spirit, and occasionally Bubba, this is because they're pretty much the only killers that can down fast enough to keep up with survivors. So if you don't like these killers, well then that's unfortunate, because they're all you're gonna see for a while.

Comments

• ImNotBobDylan
    ImNotBobDylan Member Posts: 221

They need to buff 3v1 situations as survivor and apply compensatory buffs to killer in 4v1 situations. The reason why tunneling is so effective is because you have to kill one survivor as fast as possible and then it's easy to win 1v3, and if you don't do that as killer then the gens go way too fast.

On top of it, 3v1 scenarios are already not a very enjoyable part of the game, usually you can already tell who will win depending on the number of gens remaining (buffing 3v1 will also help if your teammate DC'd).

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

What is tunneling? What is camping? There's no consensus definition.

• WeakestNurseMain
    WeakestNurseMain Member Posts: 308

What if it didn't have to be that way? You're acting like this is absolute and that no change could possibly make it any other way, but the fact of the matter is that with the right changes you could make tunneling and camping non viable, while still making the game fair for killers.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923

I mean it is fairly absolute, The game since day 1 has been about killing survivors its like trying to remove guns from doom and making it a melee game. It would not be the same game. The onyl change that could make DBD no longer an elimination game would be if survivors didint die, which makes it an entirely different game.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,893

Exactly; some people have a very narrow definition of these things, some have very loose definitions, and everything in between. This is a big issue with discussion around them.

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 571
    edited September 2022

Yeah I agree. I swear Behaviour did something to the map spawns within the last several months because I'm noticing way more jungle gyms and pallets you can't do anything about other than kick.

It really feels like it's still the survivors' game to lose (assuming they're all at least competent) unless the killer is playing a top 5 pick or/and tunnels someone out. I'd really like to see Behaviour change this as the game would be so much better if they did. The crazy safe/big map spawns and tunneling that is.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,182

That level of change would be akin to asking why can't survivors be in first person and build guns to hunt the killer? It would completely modify the game in a huge way if survivors never died. What would be the game end condition? X hits? A time limit?

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,182

It depends entirely on what the new options is. If you ask me to pick between DBD and VHS I will pick DBD every time. That's a game that has no face camping or tunneling and has a sub 1k player count at peak hours.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,371

I think the idea that DBD in inherently flawed is an inherently flawed view.

DBD is unique. It offers something that you don't really get out of other games which is why it has been doing well. Even in the absolute worse times, player counts were still good.

Changing DBD for the sake of DBD isn't guaranteed to create the same success.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923

I mean yes. No #########. Every game is flawed in some way or another, the goal is to minimise flaws and make the good aspects of the game overshine the.

• Etherelda
    Etherelda Member Posts: 28

imagine if classic pvp games like Halo or Doom LAN play balanced around using the same, 1 boring gun to kill everyone, every single time

Is my memory bad or it was exactly few superior guns overshadowing everything else in every classic comp FPS title like Q3, CS and UT?

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,657

Right get the BFG of the game and piss all your friends off as you repeatedly kill all of them over and over. Good times.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,893
    edited September 2022

We're six years into DBD; they're not just going to scrap the core of the game at this point, nor should they.

It's kind of like a lot of the whinging around Elden Ring/Soulsborne games, where people are really asking for them to be made more like other games, as if there has to be this monolithic core to all video games, so all games are enjoyable for everyone. Which is ridiculous.

DBD is what is it is, a relatively unique, unbalanced (and unbalance-able), casual and asymmetrical game. If you make it more like other games (who likely would do it better), DBD is dead. DBD has really only been able to survive and thrive in spite of its myriad flaws because of what sets it apart.

tl:dr: if you want to play a different game, play a different game.

• DeWindForce
    DeWindForce Member Posts: 5

what “perfect game” you used as the comparison for dbd? How do you say it is a flawed game if it is unique genre? Are you comparing dbd design with imaginary game that doesnt exist?

if you doesnt like the design, it doesnt make it flawed

• Nihlus
    Nihlus Member Posts: 301

Let's not be facetious. Tunneling is going after a recently unhooked survivor before others. Camping is sticking near the hook either with the intent of preventing the unhook, or so one could tunnel the unhooked immediately. We know what these terms mean. There's no poing in playing dumb.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

I mean, killers had BBQ. Which gave them a reason to leave the hook and go for someone else. Buuuut some people claimed that killers camp n tunnel anyway and that BBQ should go.

Well guess what.

• Sumnox
    Sumnox Member Posts: 605
    edited September 2022

I've faced nothing but Blights/Nurses/Spirits and very rarely other killers for years. I don't know how/when any if you are getting those fun varied matches. So for me nothing changes. It's still permanent spam of Nurses and Blights. At least if there are tools to counter tunnelling and camping I'll have more than I did before.

EDIT: Well now it's been mostly Weskers. I'm hoping this changes soon though because it's getting so boring. Though it'll go back to Nurses and Blights which is not that much better.

I just think I need to stop playing solo Q.