Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Why is our community toxic

Vanishlord
Vanishlord Member Posts: 551
edited September 2022 in General Discussions

Just so you know I'm not referring to the forums I'm reffering to the actual game. Is it just me or every couple of matches theres always either a camping killer or a troll survivor or something else. I want to hear other peoples opinions on this. Here is linkbto poll https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/346530/our-community-is-toxic#latest

Post edited by Vanishlord on

Comments

• Kirahie
    Kirahie Member Posts: 354

I think at least part of it is that you need 4 other people that all want to play the game in a non horrible way for everyone else. Especially since both sides can easily ruin the game for everyone else.

• Vanishlord
    edited September 2022

@Kirahie Thats what I'm thinking as well and since the killer is such an important factor if they're toxic then it completly ruins the game. And if you leave you get a five minute matchmaking ban

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

My opinion is that none of it is toxic unless they are trash talking and a lot of people have way too big of an ego in this community to admit they lost because they made mistakes or to just be able to laugh at a troll and troll them back, it's a video game and people are here for fun it shouldn't matter how anyone plays because we didn't buy their game, a lot of people need to loosen up and have fun instead of treating the game like it's real life.

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209

The definition of fun is both 1) Fluid and 2) Not subject to the constraints of the games intended gameplay loop.

• Nirgendwohin
    Nirgendwohin Member Posts: 1,251

In my opinion on the EU Server 80% of the toxic player are from a single country.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 3,167

This old reply I made within a thread explains it perfectly.

What you are describing is not toxicity. You are describing people playing the game. And regardless of rather you see it as distasteful or not, people can do it as long as it is allowed within the rules of the game (except trolling/teaming as survivor as you briefly mentioned, as that is, to a degree, against the game rules and people can get banned for doing it).

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,871

Besides the nature of PvP, we also have people playing 2 different games: Killer, and Survivor. IMO, the chronic lack of empathy rises from the fact that one can play thousands of hours without experiencing the benefits and frustrations that come with the other side.

• SluggedSurvivor
    SluggedSurvivor Member Posts: 51

yeah good question. I often wonder why killers are so toxic in solo que. Like solo isnt horrible enought

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

Pretty much this.

There is definitely play that can be obnoxious but its not toxic.

Now thematically killer obnoxious play is more forgivable because they are a monster there to violently murder you, so it kinda fits. Survivor obnoxious play often feels out of place thematically because it reduces the game from a scary survival horror to a bland PVP game depending how extreme it is. This is just my personal opinion on how I enjoy the game.

Again this doesn't make any of it toxic though, nor does anyone playing in a particular way that doesn't fit my ideal game of DBD. Its online PVP we all have different ideas of what's fun in game.

The toxic part of the game and community is most often the mindset of those who overreact to obnoxious play. They feel it justifies them in being mean, abusive and trollish beyond the game itself. Sending abusive messages etc.

It often involves imagining very negative narratives of other players, which are completely fabricated and solely intended to demonize other players while rationalizing any toxic opinions they may have. You see it on the forums a lot "camping killers are just scumbags who want to ruin other people's fun" etc.

If you find yourself getting angry at the game or other players over legitimate in game mechanics, you should take a step back and take a breath before you go do something toxic.

If you don't like something in game then its fine to say hey I don't like this but it doesn't make other players toxic if they don't agree.

• Gary_Coleman
    Gary_Coleman Member Posts: 732
    edited September 2022

Lack of sleep bc they play dbd as much as possible. A large percentage of children playing a game made for adults. Caffeine drinks with enough caffeine in them to kill a rabbit. Too much low quality foods in peoples diets. Spend too much time in fantasy head spaces opposed to reality head spaces. Small pp. Lack of vitamins and minerals from fruits and vegetables. Not drinking enough water. Virgins. Favorite sports team lost a game. Loss of wages. White privilege. Classism. Homophobia. Constipation. Hemorrhoids. Gets bullied at school. Didn't see the latest Marvel movie. Someone scuffed their pristine sneakers. Youtube/Twitch envy. The list goes on and on and on.

• Tsela
    Tsela Member Posts: 524
    edited September 2022

Well every competitive game where people play against eachother, has overall a toxic community. Check every other forums. League of Legends, Overwatch, you name it. The majority of any playerbase simply can't maturely handle the stress of competition, and they are just salty.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,426

I think it's just the power of anonymity. I think alot of people who try and feel/act powerful in games probably feel pretty powerless in life. In games, they're safe behind their screens so it's easier to troll or bully.

• Plsfix369
    Plsfix369 Member Posts: 566

There's no way to fix this damn game without calling out the devs, so we just started venting our frustrations to one another.

• WipeIncGamingYT
    WipeIncGamingYT Member Posts: 171

5 persons play different roles, 1 killer, 4 survivors. Not all 5 persons can win. At least one person is on the winning side, at least one person is on the losing side. Persons can do toxic things, and everything that is possible is done. Also everything toxic that is possible is made.

• Vanishlord

Here is a link to a poll now to vote if you want to. It is anonymous. https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/346530/our-community-is-toxic#latest

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

"Camping killer"

I want you to think carefully about this.

I'd argue, it isn't toxic, as the devs fully allow it in play. Players don't make the rules the devs do. As far as trolling survivors go, I assume you mean body blocking and sandbagging <---Both of which the devs fully allow collision in this manner so....

Then theres the factor of "working with the killer" <--- Which isn't allowed by the devs and bannable.

Players don't make the rules here the devs do. Any self imposed "This is the way you should play" <---emphasis on "Should" is completely subjective. As soon as you let go of the fact that players don't run this game, the easier it is to get over what you subjectively deem as "Toxic".

• Vanishlord

Thank you @PigMainBigBrain you're absolutley right camping is just annoying gameplay thank you for that correction

• Araphex
    Araphex Member Posts: 696
    edited September 2022

You beat me to it. Every competitive game has a toxic community. Even non-competitive games. ESO, WoW, ect. But those games aren't nearly as toxic as competitive games which is why I usually don't play them. DBD and Evil Dead:The Game have been the only exceptions because they aren't nearly as competitive as games like COD, Fortnite or Overwatch.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

Crabs in a bucket. Empathy might be a perk but its forbidden in the userbase.

• drakolyr
    drakolyr Member Posts: 322

I think since MMR, the toxicity even skyrocket.

You cant really play casually anymore, you either get stomped and toxic from killer or the other survivors are toxic or cry in endgame chat cause you dont play like they want to.

I really wish the time before MMR back. Its just not a good match making system, especially when it doesnt consider things like looping time, how many gens you've done or you die near exit gate open. (Or you hooked every survivor twice and then let them go)

• Tsela
    Tsela Member Posts: 524
    edited September 2022

name one single multiplayer game where people aren't raging on the forums about devs who supposedly never fix their game! I'm waiting :)) So probably childish venting is not actually a constructive discussion. And while problems do exist in games, people quite often tend to overstate them. Especially those who played for hundreds or thousands of hours one particular game and by now it's not as fun as it was at the beginning, and they are becoming similar to frustrated factory workers

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

If you remove the "playstyles are toxic" mindset, the game actually is one of the least toxic online games I have ever played. Probably because of the lack of voice chat and the fact that this is just a party game. Generally the more competitive a game, the more "toxic" its participants get.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

I still don't get that, like how can you play a game for like 4+ years and never touch half of the game?

• lagosta

Because not all experiences of the game are meant to be pleasant to all players. A dedicated player can become a master of particular role or killer simply because they enjoy them while others enjoy a break from that role every once in a while. Not everyone enjoys the pressure that comes with playing killer or the downtime that comes with survivor. Heck, not every killer player enjoy playing all killers, hag for example is quite unpopular in the roster.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,955

because this community feeds its own hatred, players see making others frustrated as the ultimate goal.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

I mean sure, but like games like Overwatch or something, you're telling me someone's carrer profile is like 9000+ hours for one hero and not once do they think "Oh, there's someone I got killed by" or something like that

Idk, again it's just really foreign to me personally, like I'm not trying to say you NEED to play other roles or heroes, I just can't fathom sticking to one character, and never exploring what more that game has to offer

• MrsGhostface
    MrsGhostface Member Posts: 987

Most players don’t start out toxic. They experience enough toxic players and feel the need to do it back. I wasn’t toxic to start out, and a lot of people weren’t. It’s hard not to be toxic when everyone does it to you. It kinda just spread over the years and is the norm now.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

This is a good question. The least toxic games I've ever played were deliberately designed in such a way that it's hard to grief the other players -- e.g., you can't take people hostage because there's a timer; you can't body-block someone because they can jump over you; if someone gets stunned, there's a delay before they can get stunned again; you can't spawn-camp someone because they respawn away from the enemy team; if you have the ability to trap other players, they have an ability to escape the trap and/or they get automatically released on a timer... I could go on.

Because of the way it's designed, DBD has a bunch of dead-end situations where, if somebody successfully does X to you, you can't do anything but suffer. It provides an attractive opportunity for people who are inclined to act like bullies, and it also creates resentment among the players over time.

• lagosta

Here's Ralph. He has 6k on Huntress alone. The guy possibly knows every collision in the game and is a sight to see. I had the pleasure of being demolished by him in a match before. Highly recommend: https://www.twitch.tv/ralph

Like him, you will find several people who play thousands of hours of the same killers because they enjoy it. I personally miss ArchDruid Drey and their Doctor. They collected iridescent addons by the thousands but unfortunately do not stream DBD anymore.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

This has always, and will always, be a part of a game like DBD. Not much changed since 2017, here is an interesting read from that time. Its sort of a time capsule, written for an audience 5 years ago, yet it still addresses the same problems and aspects we lament about the game today. So its probably just human nature. Knowing this might make it easier to cope with everything.

• RonMan32
    RonMan32 Member Posts: 413

Anything with wide spread appeal is going to collect people from all walks of life. I think the devs just need to continue to improve how they police it.

The only other thing that might play into it is it being an asymmetric game with lots of things to balance is you drive a wedge between the two sides. So called Killer and Survivor mains. I don't see people get so heated over PvP multiplayer games where both players are playing the same type of game, in the same sort of role.

When you lose you get frustrated all the same, but it becomes harder to tell if your opponent actually outplayed you or if the odds are just stacked against you.

• xTalon32
    xTalon32 Member Posts: 413

Competitive games are always toxic. I can't think of a single competitive game community that isn't. It's definitely a little different for DBD though since this is a 1v4 game. Balancing plays a role in toxicity as well especially for DBD, and while the devs have tried to balance the game, it's difficult to do so since again it's 1v4.

For the sake of argument we'll assume there's an even distribution of killers and survivors, meaning 80% of the playerbase is survivor and the last 20% are killers. If survivors bring up issues, right or wrong, the devs have to cater to them more. Because losing players who play survivor is worse than losing killers on paper. Regardless, if one side feels they've been "wronged" they're going to take it out on fellow players in whatever toxic manner they want.

And strategically, playing toxic is a great way to undermine your opponent so they make mistakes. People who act on impulse because of trolling/toxicity are more likely to mess up.