How Much Slowdown Do I Actually Need?

Options

When I play Killer I like to play around with my builds, nothing too sweaty, prefer to avoid the combos everyone uses and/or complains about, but one thing I tend to get stuck on is just how much slowdown should I be using on a given killer?

I don't want to fill all four slots with slowdown, but I also don't want games to end before I have much opportunity to do much because I didn't use any.

So for me the question is one of finding that sweet spot of enough slowdown to keep from getting rolled but not so much it's all I've got. Especially since I consider tracking survivors a weak point of mine.

I imagine this varies a bit by killer, some need less, others need more, and I don't currently have a main I play over all others except possibly Onryô. Still, I hope by asking the question maybe I can nail down some guidelines for myself to follow.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,274
    Options

Generally one slowdown perk is the way to go..... however personally I find it way more fun to only bring chase perks

• RatbasterdJr
    RatbasterdJr Member Posts: 702
    Options

High mobility killer, such as blight, I bring pain res and the rest aura perks.

a killer with less map mobility I’ll usually run overcharge, call of brine, paired with brutal strength and another chase perk if I’m really trying. I’m not really big with kicking gens tho..

my casual build consist of pain res, and then all chase perks.

• PaintedDeath
    PaintedDeath Member Posts: 490
    Options

I think the meta is starting show that the strongest thing survivors have going foe them is chases, and Gen speeds. So at least 1 slowdown and 1 chase perk unless you are doing something meme-y or thematic.

• PaintedDeath
    PaintedDeath Member Posts: 490
    Options

Or also, you can be covering a couple of areas at once. Call of Brine will provide information via the good skill check triggers, Oppression and ruin couple with surveillance. Stuff like that.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

It is ironic that I use less slowdown on m1 killers because their chase potential is garbage.

And on better killers like ph I can slap slowdowns all I want because of his power.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,792
    Options

I used to be someone who never used slowdown but I typically bring 2 and then 2 whatever perks

• DEMONANCE
    DEMONANCE Member Posts: 800
    Options

before the perk changes corrupt was the perfect perk to use for this.

you could just slap it on any killer and get a bit of a breathing room but now i am not really sure.

i guess you could use deadlock it pretty much has the same idea it gives you a bit of a breathing room so gens don't fly too fast

you could also use pain res or pain res + dead man's as that combo is still effective on any killer

but don't be afraid to not run any slowdowns if you have a certain build in mind you would like to use that's what i do doesn't matter if i get gen rushed i have more fun changing builds than running the same thing always.

• prion11
    prion11 Member Posts: 361
    Options

depends on the killer and the map tbh. for example:

nurse? you need 0-1 slowdown perks to 4k

(insert killer) on his best map? you won't need more than 2 (think stuff like dredge on midwich)

any killer that is not nurse blight or spirit with mother daughter ring, and you got a bad map? you may need 3 or 4 lol good luck

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923
    Options

If I m1 a lot surge, if I dont pain res. Voila

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,541
    Options

Either Corrupt or Jolt... or Eruption

But I would like to think one is enough

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,056
    Options

Yeah. I used Corrupt in much the same way, but I'm decent enough to get a down before it runs out in most cases. Especially since, despite (or perhaps because of) my earlier claim to be weak at tracking, I learned a reliable way to find people early even without Lethal Pursuer (Survivors do not spawn within a 3-tile radius of you, so you can narrow down where they're likely to start by that).

I've generallyv kept to 2 at myself for the most part. Which ones I use vary by killer, for example I enjoy Gift of Pain on Plague, recently in Artist I used PR with Ruin & Surveillance.

Call of Brine and Thrilling Tremors are my choices hit Onryô, though once I get Jolt leveled I may go for it, too/instead.

• RatbasterdJr
    RatbasterdJr Member Posts: 702
    Options

Never lol. My must have perk for blight is shadowborn.

• ByeByeQ
    ByeByeQ Member Posts: 1,104
    Options

It all depends on what your goal is.

Do you want to crush survivors' hopes and dreams? Run Merciless Storm, Overcharge and Call of Brine. If the survivor misses the Merciless Storm skill check you'll see the now blocked generator you can wander over and kick it, chase down and hook the survivor, and if no one else touches that gen then by the time that survivor gets back to that gen it'll be near zero and they might just ask you to kill them at that point.

• Jivetalkin13
    Jivetalkin13 Member Posts: 746
    Options

If you've got the skill, technically none. However, 1 or 2 is fine.

• Zeidoktor
    Options

I generally play Killer for points so prolonging a game is usually in my interest, more often than not. How seriously I play beyond that varies be my mood, whether there was a one down wuss d/c, etc.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,541
    Options

How about Thrilling Tremors

It offers knowledge and slowdown

Gen regression is good and all but they take perks to get the most out it

Possibly PGTW

• MrCalac123
    MrCalac123 Member Posts: 1,147
    Options

Depends entirely on the Survivors

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

It's a bit of a myth that you "need" to bring slowdown. I'm running a 71% kill rate right now and I've been running a build with no slowdown on all my killers the last couple of weeks. But if you don't run slowdown then you do want to make sure you pay attention to where everybody is and try and keep a three or four gen area intact for the endgame if possible because you'll want to make sure you can maintain pressure in the midgame without artificially slowing things down with regression. So slowdown is useful but if you're careful you can win without it unless you're maybe going against really top end opponents.

• Zeidoktor
    Options

I tend to use Thrilling on Onryo for that exact reason.

I'm decent as Killer but I'm not quite confident enough that I can go totally without something for Slowdown, unless I'm going for something more specific. Still, I imagine if you're good at keeping track of people as you describe (I don't think I am) or are particularly good with the Killer you play, you can get away with less or zero slowdown.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

Depends how good the Survivors are. I have won with Wraith with no perks, and I’ve lost with Nurse with a slowdown build. But generally I’d say running at least 1 slowdown is meta.

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869
    Options

It largely depends on the killer. High mobility killers can do well with 1 strong slowdown. More methodical killers like trapper require more to deal with competent survivors.

• Maki_nCheese
    Maki_nCheese Member Posts: 6
    Options

my perfect build is pain res, corrupt, bbq, and a chase perk (brutal/enduring/bambam)