Sadako Is The Worst Killer In The Game

TheGentlemen
TheGentlemen Member Posts: 198
edited September 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

There's going to be some disagreements, which is okay, because this is just my opinion and I am not treating anything I state here as a fact, though I believe it's a fact because I'm a sociopath, let's talk about the D Tier killers:

• Clown (though he could be argued to be C tier, in my opinion, he's D)
  • Freddy
  • Sadako
  • Myers
  • Trapper

I wanted to take a moment to talk about Sadako as someone who has here to Prestige 16, almost 17, just to really share the experience I have endured playing this killer.

There will be a lot of people that comment on this stating; 'But, you can do the morri playstyle with her!', and I'll talk about this very soon, so please read the entire post before commenting about this.

There's something that, quite literally, every single D Tier killer has over Sadako.

Clown: Good anti loop

Freddy: A consistent, non RNG reliant teleport that can be used consistently, instead of having to rely on good TV placements. He also has a form of anti loop in the form of his snares, and while his addons are utterly garbage, I'll touch more on him further down the post.

Myers: Absolutely busted addons that can quite literally remove a player from the game with zero effort for the most part.

Trapper: While lackluster and weak against SWFs, there's something he can do better than Sadako likely ever will. That's having hook pressure. You can camp with Trapper a lot better than you can with Sadako.

We all know that Sadako has no anti loop which makes her chases very difficult to end if you're playing against an average survivor.

This obviously hurts her significantly, when someone like Freddy, even with no addons, has a form of anti loop that can be used on survivors who are asleep. Someone like Trapper as well, has traps to put at loops, to help end chases.

Sadako has nothing. She has her M1, bloodlust and a dream. Chases take forever with her, and because of this, you have to rely on the 'mori' strategy. You're all familiar with it, and that's why it's becoming weaker and weaker by the day.

Survivors become more and more aware of this strategy every time they see her, because how else can she be played by anyone who is trying to win the game?

When a survivor sees you have the Ring Drawing addon by healing each other, they will know to go do tapes. If you're not running certain perks such as Save The Best For Last, then they will get rid of all your hard earned condemnation in a very short animation, MID chase, mind you.

How can someone like Sadako, who can't do these things reliably:

• Camp Effectively
  • End Chases Quickly
  • Use Her Power And Strategy Without VERY peculiar addons
  • Have A Consistent Power That Is Good Every Game (TVs are RNG dependent, and this makes certain maps unbearable for her)

Be better than Freddy who,

• Has Anti Loop To Help In Chases
  • Has A Consistent Power He Can Rely On Without RNG

Yes, Freddy has weaker addons, I am well aware. But does this take away from the HUGE strengths he has over Sadako?

And Trapper too, who, despite being one of the weakest killers in the game, can still:

• Camp Effectively And Reliably
  • Use Traps To Make Loops Unsafe

I'm genuninely curious to see arguments that Sadako is not the worst killer in the game. Maybe when survivors were not as aware of the morri strategy, I would actually agree with that, but now that survivors are much more aware about this strategy, more and more of them use tapes as counter play. This isn't an issue, I'm glad people are adapting, but the issue begins to arise when you realize the only very reliable way to play this killer is slowly becoming bad.

Her Stealth:

Her stealth is RUINED the moment the match starts against competent teams. Sadako's prescence is announced as soon as the game starts due to the 'ring' on the survivor portraits. How can she approach with a stealth tactic when you literally know what to expect? It's utterly embarrassing that this is the case. Makes her early game even MORE horrible because she has no TVs yet when the match starts. It's insane.

Her mori strategy isn't even as easy as a lot of people make it out to be. It requires certain chase perks to make it easier, at least in my experience. Myers though? You can just run purple tombstone, and morri whoever you want. Her mori playstyle is so sweaty and difficult to pull off sometimes, and it's incredibly risky. Myers has almost no risk to doing this kind of playstyle with the purple tombstone piece. The regular tombstone is a different story, but who uses that?

I am in no way 'whining' about the state of this killer. I continue to play her in her current state, because I have always loved Sadako. She's my favorite horror character, even moreso than Ghostface.

I made this post to see what the reasons people say Sadako is not the worst killer in the game, because I really am curious to see. I am aware she has much better mobility than Trapper, along with more useful addons (some of them anyway), so I would love to see what people think.

EDIT: I did leave out the slugging morri strat that people like Zubat use, which is something to consider. Too lazy to go back and edit it, but my points still stand I believe. 'Normal' Sadako, is the worst killer in the game imo.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Gary_Coleman
    Gary_Coleman Member Posts: 732

Doctor is the only killer.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,561

Honestly, I don’t think there are any D tiers in DbD. And even if there were, Sadako’s not in there.

She’s the absolute queen of the hit ‘n run. Compared to more recent killers, all she lacks is anti-loop, which she frankly really doesn’t need. All she needs is a good M1 chase, proc an information perk to see where other survivors are, go interrupt the gens their working on, et voila, you got your gameplan. My personal pick is Thrilling Tremors, by the by.

Chase taking too long? Woosh, she’s across the map. Need a quick check on that one gen that’s a bit awkward to get to? Bam, you’re there. Some are a bit awkwardly placed, I’ll give you that. But at the very least they’re always near a gen. Dredge can’t say that. Plus, if you picked one without anyone nearby, there are 6 others available as well. Freddy has be very sure his teleport is correct.

Survivors don’t turn tv’s off at all in my experience. Especially if you don’t give them a reason to. This is to her advantage, because it allows her to be aggressive and even wasteful with her teleports. Additionally, her lullaby is surprisingly hard to hear over the sound of gen repairs. Moreover, despite it being sorta directional, by the time survivors even realise you’re coming for them you’re likely on their ass already. 24 meters is not a lot.

• TheGentlemen

They turn them off at higher play with streamers and other popular DbD influencers showing off her play styles. Especially when it's obvious you have Ring Drawing or other addons that spell out what you'll be doing.

I'm not saying you don't play against 'my type of survivor's', the reason that most people don't pay attention to TVs is because no one plays this killer. Her power being RNG dependent already puts her at a severe disadvantage.

Without addons her TVs take forever to turn back on, so you can't always 'whoosh across the map'. It's insufferably long.

While I respect your opinion, there are most definitely D Tiers in DbD imo. Freddy can use info perks to consistently see where survivors are at on a generator. Tinkerer, discordance, what else do you need? Sadako can't just TP to a gen, and most of the time, the TVs are too far away from a gen on bigger maps to even stop one from being finished should it be too close.

Her stealth is 100% ruined by her 'hud' elements being visible as soon as the game starts, so that's out of the question.

I disagree with your point highly, but it's interesting to see another viewpoint.

• EvilSerje
    EvilSerje Member Posts: 1,070
    edited September 2022

Although I agree that she is very weak and don't understand why devs hate her so much, but while playing only her since march, I can say two things:

a) she is not weaker than guys above. She has multiple "tools" in her pocket.

She has antiloop (mindgame 1 sec invisiblity that helps in short loops) + she can hide her red spot on whim. Plus she has mobility around the map (I know that TVs can be turned off by survivors, but that delay them a litte and give away position). Also she is short, and her condemn can be annoying. And some perks fit her pretty well.

Clown has zero map mobility. Freddys teleport ends closer he is to the endgame and his antiloop suck, Myers has zero map mobility and zero antiloop (only 1 shot, which he need to waste time on), trapper is a king of RNG dependency and comms vulnurability.

• Camp Effectively (f*** camping, it shouldn't exist in this game, cheesy cheap method for bad killers. Never use it because it's a guarantee defeat against strong survivors and SWF.)
    • End Chases Quickly (Not as fast as blight or nurse, but definetely not slower than mentioned killers)
    • Use Her Power And Strategy Without VERY peculiar addons (Only condemn. Manifesting and teleporting still works)
    • Have A Consistent Power That Is Good Every Game (TVs are RNG dependent, and this makes certain maps unbearable for her) : That is only nurse has.

b) the most important purt: she is fun to play. I don't know how to define it, but she is somehow very "comfort" to play.

All and all, she seems like all her powers were tuned down for some reason and that what community asking to fix for a long time. But besides that, she is still stronger than list above. And, more important, more enjoyable.

• TheGentlemen

Disagree entirely. She's fun to play, yes. But that does not make her good.

Clown is better at ending loops. Along with Freddy. Trapper is the ONLY killer I can see that could be worse than her. Myers has busted addons.

She can't even camp effectively. Camping sucks, but she can't even do that like these other killers such as Tier 3 Myers and Trapper with traps can.

"Mind gaming" is not consistent. Clowns bottles are. Freddy's snares are much more consistent than ''mind gaming''. I don't see what you're talking about.

She has no anti loop against a competent survivor. I love her and will always play her, but she is way worse than Clown, Freddy and Myers. It's just a hard to swallow pill.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,561

The thing with those other playstyles is that they revolve around Condemned. I ignore that entirely, in favour of nearly always having TV’s up when I need them.

Moreover, you don’t always need to use TV’s to get to a gen. Simply walking there when you’re close saves a use that you can utilise later if you think there are more survivors at that gen. Beyond that, even if they take a tape, that’s free slowdown for me later.

Again, however, in my experience, they really don’t turn TV’s off if their Condemned doesn’t give them a reason to.

Not sure how her stealth at the start of the game matters. Her TVs are typically not hidden either. As for general stealth, she’s entirely invisible to survivors outside of her TR when demanifested. Unless you approach from a clearly visible angle, they more often than not don’t even notice you coming.

As a side note, “D-Tier” to me means that they’re just not viable unless they’re really lucky. The only one that comes closest to that is Trapper.

• I think base (no addons) sadako is better than base Freddy. She also has similar but better pressure than Freddy since she can tp all over the map at the drop of a hat, multiple times, in quick succession. Yes, Freddy has better chases with his fake pallets and (laughable) dream snares but sadako isn't a chase killer. She is about hitting a survivor, then tping away to pressure gens.

I guess they are the same in that their passives are mostly useless. No one is going to get enough stacks of condemn without real effort being put in and Freddys new dream world doesn't do much other than let him use his add ons and his traps. Passively it does nothing other than make them oblivious ☺️

• latigresa
    latigresa Member Posts: 88
    edited September 2022

There is a streamer with a 155 kill streak with Sadako.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,553

155 is an odd number, which means someone escaped, which means that the streak is fake.

• TheGentlemen

"D-Tier" can mean a lot of things. Sadako among the other characters I listed are some of the least viable characters in the game to play as against competent teams.

So they are the worst in terms of 'tiers'. That's what I am referring to.

Her stealth in the beginning of the game is trumped by her TVs as well, which can be an issue, however survivors have a lower chance of seeing these TVs, and it could potentially give her the opportunity to be stealthier. Remember when Ghostface would make a SFX when cloaking for all the survivors to hear? Kind of trumps the point of her stealth, don't you think? While you may say her stealth doesn't matter in the early game, it's a bit of a contradiction to make a stealth killer easily identifiable just by staring at your hud. It's bad design.

While I agree with some of your points, the "D-Tier" most certainly does exist under my definition of 'killers who are weaker than the rest', it's a simple term to rank weak killers and I'm unsure why everyone acts as if it doesn't exist.

Survivors turn off TV's in my experience way more than they used to ever since streamers and other Sadako mains revealed their tactics with the condemnation playstyle. Games have been much much much more difficult than that, and my point was never to say, 'Sadako is hard to play! Wah wah!',

My point is that Sadako is poorly designed, and it's a shame.

Also, a fellow Gentlemen, I tip my hat to you sir.

• TheGentlemen

You do bring up a point, but Freddy's teleport comes back a lot faster than base kit Sadako's TVs. Assuming that survivors are asleep around the clock of course. Because of this, I still stand by my point.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713
    edited September 2022

How can she approach with a stealth tactic when you literally know what to expect? It's utterly embarrassing that this is the case. Makes her early game even MORE horrible because she has no TVs yet when the match starts. It's insane.

I don’t know what to tell you, I sneak up on survivors all the time as Sadako. Even with her lullaby her stealth is actually quite strong because she is short and on-and-off invisible and thus makes good use of line of sight blockers on her approaches. She also loses almost no speed while Manifesting and Demanifesting which further helps her ambushes.

I actually do quite well with Sadako as a stealth killer and I don’t even bother with the Condemned centric builds. I put her in C tier alongside Wraith.

• Marik1987
    Marik1987 Member Posts: 1,700
    edited September 2022

Is it really important to argue that Sadako is more worse than Trapper or Freddy or Myers etc.

All of these Killers need help.

As a Freddy Main, I can tell you, that his Teleport has weaknesses. Your cooldown is very high if u teleport, only by faking it you get it back faster. His addons are terrible. As closer the endgame, as less Gens to teleport to are available. Sadako has TVs to teleport WITHOUT Cooldown and NOED works really well.

I think Sadako is stronger than Freddy, she is P3 of the end, Freddy P2 and Trapper P1.

Myers is fun and unique with some crazy addons. Clown is no D-Tier anymore for me.

As I mentioned in the "What killers BHVR should look at next"-post, I think Sadako and Freddy could get something together like Legion and GF last mid-chapter.

• not_requested49
    not_requested49 Member Posts: 1,979

Even then, at least sadako is more fun and interesting than freddy

• roundpitt
    roundpitt Member Posts: 578

When I play survivor with my wife, good Sadoko do not chase unless you are in a dead zone. They rely on their killer power to sneak up on survivors and get free hits.

Yes, this means she is weak, I’m not disagreeing with you. But I think if you gave her good chase mechanics on top of what she has now, she will become oppressive.

You can mind game with her demanifest, but I’ve never seen anyone pull that off, it’s too easy to not get mind gamed with that.

Her build that allows her to slug and get Mori’s only works if you can apply enough pressure to down survivors. It doesn’t work very well in high MMR because survivors just don’t let you sneak up on them and they are quick with the heals and video tape management.

In high MMR it feels like you don’t have a killer power. In low MMR that build wrecks people.

• GetWoke
    GetWoke Member Posts: 8

She’s the absolute queen of the hit ‘n run.

Hit-and-run does not win you games, therefore what she is effective at gains you nothing. In the same way, the hit-and-run Myers is hindering his ability, all you're doing is aiding survivors to escape.

You basically need to secure the first kill as fast as possible to even begin keeping up with survivors. Sadako is hands down the weakest killer in the game, is she unplayable? No. But that doesn't mean she doesn't need serious reworking, all killers should be viable.

• Gandor
    Gandor Member Posts: 4,257

All killers are viable. There is already a streamer with huge winstreak on sadako. Means she is viable (if not strong at all compared to nurse).

I mean... We should probably balance both ends of spectrum more, but they are not so far away from each other, that sadako is not even viable.

• lachenstars
    lachenstars Member Posts: 66

As someone who mained Trapper before Sadako came out, I still lean towards him being the worst Killer. I think it could be fine for Sadako to be the worst chase Killer in the game if condemnation actually was threatening. Because the mini mori is so powerful I can see why the Devs made her so weak, but enough time has passed where they should know that they can safely buff her. Hopefully it's a real rework, including add-ons, because I think they could make her very cool.

Trapper is an area denial, set-up Killer that generally always loses at least 1 gen when setting up, unless he runs Corrupt and / or Purple Bag. He is more map dependent than Sadako and of course all it takes is 1 or 2 survivors following him around to disable his traps. If he is at a loop where he hasn't set up a trap beforehand, he basically has no power. He can fake placing a trap (if he still has one on hand) or actually place a trap, but that's about the extent of his in chase power. Usually that forces the survivor to run away, but generally unless it's a deadzone or they run to another loop that you HAVE trapped, it doesn't help you get the down. And god forbid you take a bit too long to set up your 3 gen and they break it. But the snowball potential is certainly there and turning a 1 hook game into a 4k after the last gen pops is immensely rewarding.

Without Iri Tape Sadako's main advantage, her great mobility, is chained down. She does well at a hit and run playstyle but after the first 'surprise' hit you are better off just leaving to find another target, assuming the first survivor makes it to any sort of loop. Her phasing invisibility can be used to mindgame, but I haven't found it to be reliable. Honestly idk why she has a lullaby and it's annoying that the UI shows that you are playing against Sadako as soon as you load into the game. Normally TV spawns are good enough but sometimes.... they need to work on the algorithm.

While most survivors aren't worried about condemnation, and it's easy enough to turn in a tape mid-chase (unless Sadako has 5 STBFL stacks) at least it's a potential secondary objective that will get a few survivors to run across the map instead of sitting on gens.

Against a decent team that can manage health and condemnation (Circle of Healing is very good against her) it is a lot of work getting downs. 1 or 2 decent loopers will slow her down enough that the survivors should be in control most of the game. That's the same with all the lower tier Killers, too. She doesn't have to commit to a bad chase but without Iri Tape it gets harder to be where she needs to be to force survivors off gens and heal after a quick hit. She potentially could be at every gen survivors are working but if she misses someone they can solo a gen before she can teleport back.

I would say something about Myers but he has Tombstone things. Pig at least has her reverse bear traps which gives decent slowdown, and I guess Ambush is a thing that better than Demanifesting and remanifesting in chase. She is slow, though, as is Clown. I still give the edge to Trapper as being the worst Killer in the game. He's still fun but Eyrie of Crows... Anyway I hope Sadako gets some buffs soon!