Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Pinhead finding box at game start WAY too often

Devs - please look into this. Something is fishy. And I don’t think pinhead was balanced around being able to initiate his chain hunt at the start of every game. They are going right to the box at the start of at least 75% of my games. It ain’t right.

Comments

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

It's just gamesense. Playing Pinhead demands that you can guess where all survivors are at all times, otherwise you'll plateau with him very quickly.

The box logic is predictable but the box being away from everybody is just the most fair option. Survivors can triangulatethe box just like everybody else

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

There's actually some tech to it, they can pinpoint it if they run lethal, because of how the spawning works, so if they see survivors, chances are the box is in the location that survivors are not

• Audiophile
    Audiophile Member Posts: 319

Going from finding the box at game start a small percentage of the time to finding it almost all of the time seems like an issue to me. I don’t think this was intended. And considering pinhead has some of the best map control in the game, especially when using ‘keep the survivor busy’ builds using Plaything and Pentimento so that most of the match you’re either doing side missions or being very slowed or very vulnerable… I think it’s worth pointing out and changing / fixing / whatever.

Or hey, just decommission pinhead and get him off the roster. I find him the absolute most annoying killer to play against. And I’m not alone since in most pinhead games 1 or more quit / dc.

• Tranquil_Blue
    Tranquil_Blue Member Posts: 335

In many cases, it’s easy to find. If you know where the survivors spawn (from Lethal Pursuer or from experience), you basically know which quadrant of the map it’s in. And when you get close, you can hear it.

It’s ridiculously powerful to get the box right at the beginning of the game. I think it would make more sense if there was a delay (20-30 seconds) before the first box spawned, similar to some other powers.

They should also fix the issue of the chains continually spawning when you try to solve during a chain hunt. Technically there is a way to do it correctly, but it’s understandably confusing for many players.

• FriendlyKiller
    FriendlyKiller Member Posts: 337

Pinhead is my 3rd main behind Artist and Nurse. If you look on YouTube Otz made a very compelling video on how to predict Lament Configuration spawns. Not to mention if you play Cenobite enough you get a "feel" for where the box spawns.

Just a suggestion, try playing as Cenobite for like 50 games or so. You'll have box spawns on at least a couple maps memorized, guaranteed.

Can you show us the results?

• Tobe
    Tobe Member Posts: 47

You guys will be surprised to find out how many ESP hacks are quietly being abused now. Unlike SpeedHack, ESP is rarely sanctioned because it is impossible to report with video evidence.

• Ghost_Face_Main
    Ghost_Face_Main Member Posts: 618

It boils down to Cenobite having either Lethal Pursuer or his very-rare add-on, Chatterer's Tooth. Nothing wrong here.

• Wowie
    Wowie Member Posts: 571

As Pinhead, in order to know where the box is, you have to first know where the box isn't.

If you play enough you'll be able to find it even without Lethal Pursuer.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607

It's players learning how the game works and using that skill. I won't be surprised if this did get somehow nerfed, because god forbid the killer get rewarded for understand the intricacy of their power, and understanding how the games mechanics work.

The box has spawn logic. It will always try to spawn away from everyone. If you have lethal pursuer, you can see the survivors and also figure out the box spawn location. The killer needs knowledge to do this and a perk slot. I don't see the issue. It is rewarding actual game knowledge.

• Audiophile

So the summation of the comments are that it’s easy for the killer to find the box with minimal practice and that it’s also very strong. Whether it’s everyone learning the method, or hacks or whatever… I don’t think Pinhead finding the box at game start MOST OF THE TIME, is what is intended and I think the devs need to at least take a look. That’s all.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

If people use ESP for pinhead with box, that's rather tame variant tbh lol

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

The box logic is so predictable that survivors can also use it which is what I think makes it fair tbh

I had a game today vs a Pinhead using the iri box addon, so the box aura was hidden for most of the game and I still managed to find it because i know how it works and I knew where my team and more importantly the killer were

• NerfedFreddy
    NerfedFreddy Member Posts: 394

DC tier killer. Wait another 3 years till BHVR acknowledges that simple true

• Audiophile

Seems that you’re just deliberately misreading it in the way that gives you the most righteous indignation. You’re itching for a fight that simply isn’t there. How you read that… is just flat wrong. Not what I’m saying. Maybe have someone look at getting that chip off your shoulder.

• Audiophile

Sure but you’re missing the point. The killer is faster and if they’re beelining it to the box, you’d be a fool to try to beat him to it. This is a very strong early game advantage, period. So your point doesn’t really apply here unless you are seeing all the survivor and killer auras at game start, which you’re not. And no way you’re communicating with your swf fast enough to figure out where the box is faster than a pinhead with LP either. So your point only is relevant to games with the iri addon and still… you generally wont know where everyone is, especially as a solo. Still… I’m not talking about the iri addon situation, I’m talking about game start. This is currently broken IMO.

• Audiophile

Lol. Good way of putting it. His power is already annoying af. Then they love to use franklins, also one of the most annoying perks in the game. And lately plaything w or w/o pentimento seems meta. So its just a game of wasting time trying to do side missions while being hounded by an annoying killer. He’s just awful. Clearly not designed with ‘fun’ for both sides in mind.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167
    edited September 2022

Not really

Pinhead can get a good start but then he still has to win his chases. Chain hunt isn't an automatic 'win chase' button. It's good slowdown, nobody will deny that but it can be dealt with. Chain Hunt gets really oppressive when it's reset over and over again which doesn't happen very often from my experience.

After the Lethal Pursuer find, from that point onward, the Pinhead player has to then figure out where the box could be based either on survivor telegraphing, available information or the killer instinct reveal. Not to mention if survivors are playing well, they'll know to take the box somewhere really annoying for Pinhead to contest.

I still think my point still holds true, box logic is something both sides can use it's just survivors don't really need to use it because the game tells them where the box is anyway. Pinhead is far from a problematic killer, in my opinion. He's easily one of the most balanced we have.

I'm not trying to say your opinions are invalid, I just really don't think it's that big of an issue.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,198

resetting chain hunt over and over is part of pinhead's entire skill. He is one of the killers that I try to not tunnel/camp/slug and try to go for loads of chases because the chain hunt rewards me for downing survivors with the box. Him picking up box early on is not a problem because when you pick the box in isolation as pinhead, the box respawn in 10 seconds so cancelling chain hunt is pretty easy. You only get rewarded if you down a survivor with the box which activates chain hunt and the respawn time is 30 seconds which rewards pinhead player for successfully downing the survivor. He is alright but his chains break too easily making his chase a little annoying for playing him.

• Ghost_Face_Main
    Ghost_Face_Main Member Posts: 618

That's correct my bad, but it is one way for him to immediately find the lament configuration. In that case, it's simply luck or Lethal value.