Is it time to stop killers from seeing what they are up against?

Hi all,

With more and more power given to killers (as it should be) I've been thinking are we at a point we don't need to show what the survivors have, I think it's time killers have to put up with the same mystery survivors have to deal with for the sake of the health of both sides.

Perks like Lightborn, Franklins, and sloppy shouldn't be brought just because you can see items. Yes survivors can last second switch but it's hardly fun for either side, and results in dodging. I feel it's a relic from a simpler time and I feel having mystery for both sides would be healthier for the game as a whole.

Imagine if the survivors could see what killer you were playing in the lobby, wouldn't be nice to have perks constantly brought to counter you would it? lol

Comments

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

I mean, I've legit never taken lightborn off of doc, and I never look at the preparation screen anyways

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

Seeing items and what survivors people choose is fine. Everything else should go in my opinion.

• Rokku_Rorru
    Rokku_Rorru Member Posts: 1,092

This is what I mean, people who want to bring it can bring it anyways at this point, it's a comfort pick <3

• Rokku_Rorru
    edited September 2022

I mean why not share perks at this point while we are at it, y'know? I don't think that arguement always holds weight.

edit: sorry didn't mean to double post I was just playing while typing so missed the first message oopsie

• WorthlessBeing
    WorthlessBeing Member Posts: 378

So prevent the one in the 1v4 to prepare accordingly for the upcoming match?

Sounds like a terrible idea.

• Rokku_Rorru

I feel readability is important yes, I agree that items should look different especially for when you are in a chase and can tell what they are possibly planning. I'm not sure I feel it's good for lobbies though as it encourages dodging and cherry picking.

Lobbies also need to show connections of all players better instead of in game. I'm conflicted as I feel lobbies should share more info or none at all.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923

Names and prestiege should be an option if I ever end up grinding a high level prestiege on someone I wanna show off lmao.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    edited September 2022

Items have always been considered a "bonus" part of the loadout. Hence why they can be earned mid match in chests, dropped, given to other survivors, etc. They even used to get used up and consumed if used 100% in the past (though you did get to keep addons that didnt consume the item if you escaped with it and it still had charges left.) They're not a core part of the loadout, which is why its fair for the killer to see them and adjust theirs accordingly, especially for niche perks for that purpose like franklins.

The inverse is that survivors get to chat in the lobby (if they choose to) and coordinate loadouts and/or comment on challenges or anything else without the killer being able to see the chat (admittedly, don't know if/how this functions on console personally.) If killers were able to see the rarity and addons of items that would be one thing, but since killers can't switch which killer they're using in lobby anymore I don't personally think its a disproportionate advantage either way. Especially since at least survivors still have the last second swap you mentioned which killers don't/have limited ability to react to.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,380

The killer can only see that you have a toolbox or a flashlight. Not what addons is attached to such toolbox or the rarity. It's some very abstract information the killer gets about the tools survivors are bringing into trial that the killer can use to determine what they might want to bring into that trial.

Given the killer is playing a 1v4 this kind of minor information is not a big deal. For example killer see 3 survivors with flashlights and they swap out a perk for lightborn. There's 2 main outcomes that could happen:

1. It was a 4-man SWF that tries to go for flashlight saves and gets bodied by the killer swapping to lightborn because the killer was able to turn all the survivors swarming to the pick up into more downs.
    2. It was 3 solos trying to do the blind the killer challenge and only try to blind at pallets. Sure it might cause those survivors to go down earlier in the first chase, but it won't have a huge impact on the match as a whole and the killer has a fairly useless perk put on over a more useful perk they could have brought.
  • Ryuhi
    edited September 2022

That actually happened for a while. People were using hacks to identify the killer in lobbies and suddenly every doctor went against 4 calm spirits, every plague went against 4 no mither sabo build squads, etc. Was pretty rough to be on the receiving end of but also pretty obvious why it was happening.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

So IMO... :(not that it really matters):

Removing the Players name and Prestige sound reasonable (that removes some lobby dodging and Cheaters can't force much.. I don't think) but Items seems like stretch...

Having Survivors see each others perks also sounds like a good idea... I don't see that much issue with that (other then the number of leavers will probably go up)

But sitting there waiting for everyone to ready up seems a bit redundant at this point... For me personally I get everything ready before I start looking for a match so I'm not getting Bloodwebs done or looking to finish my build in the pre-match lobby

But perks... there isn't much a Killer can do but to on the look out for Flashlights or just leave on Lightborn as a "just in case"

I've only had 2-3 occasions where players do the last second swap... and either A) I ignore it or B) already had my build ready for what they bring

Plus Having 3 loadouts ready to go kinda make it easier to either A) Counter a potential Item swap or B) react to what I see

Wait do Survivors have the 3 loadouts as well.... I might have missed it?

• Rokku_Rorru

I think you opinion matters and I agree with what you are saying, survivors do have the 3 loadouts yeah! <3 I'd love to get into games faster, but I guess seeing what randoms have brought to the match would make it much easier to prep for solo queue games and is possibly the change that is most needed. When the cheater situation is sorted I think hiding names and prestige is the right thing to do, it's info no one needs.

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,657

Don't you dare remove prestige it let's me know nit to chase that p30 nea first because she's probably got skillz.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

OK thanks.... I knew I missed it thanks again

I mean waiting for a minute after getting into the per-match lobby is more irritating then waiting for the Survivors to leave

Hiding the player names should have been a thing since the start of the game but here we are

• SmarulKusia
    SmarulKusia Member Posts: 819

Ah yes, so the killer can be more inclined to tunnel or BM someone trying to complete a challenge. No thanks.

tombstone myers is showing enough that players will purposely screw eachother over if they know someone is going for a challenge/achievement.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

Killers should see SWF. The ability to know who's a swf can massively change how you play the match, killer may play more chill verse solos as they dont feel as threatened and if a killer sees swf he may use different perks/addons and understand the survivors can be making callouts so they can adjust if they're playing trapper, stealth killer etc.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

Prestige mean nothing, iv seen many P60+ go down mega fast I wouldn't really worry too much on prestige (although I'd still like it hidden from all players, I hate I get lobby dodged because I'm playing a character who isnt a high prestige even though I'd probably play better than them and have everyone else really high as well as my killers lol)

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

Personally my biggest gripe is that Killers could take perks that can fully negate an item and perhaps even certain perks. If I have a daily archive to blind a killer 8 times in 1 single game, and therefor brought a flashlight, flashbang and blastmine, the killer can just slap on lightborn and make it impossible for me to do my challenge.

I do think its important to show that a survivor has equipped an item, but not which item.

• Rise432
    Rise432 Member Posts: 162

With a on-going cheater pandemic? Nah I am good

Just playing against survivors with anon mode is a gamble if u face a cheater or not

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

Hey, no worries! I'll just keep six-second switching. It's just a stupid waste of time as OP says though, lol.

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,004

It's bad enough that BHVR took away the killer's ability to switch to a different killer in the lobby now you want to make it even worse?

Seriously?

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,657

Is not perfect but it's definitely a heads up more often then not. And what makes it better that prestige 0 character could be a god survivor leveling a new character.

• prion11
    prion11 Member Posts: 361

I think survivors should be able to see the killer they are facing in the lobby too

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,901
    edited September 2022

Here's the thing... medkits and tool boxes are incredibly powerful when brought in mass. Imagine if you couldn't see those items and you go into that game where if you abandon a chase someone uses a green medkit with enough charges for 3 heals, or even a stacked ranger medkit to eliminate all your pressure. Then you have toolboxes shaving off a lot of time if it's somewhat decent addons. Yeah doesn't sound very fun and hey if they brought franklins or lightborn that's 1 perk that wasn't call of brine or overcharge.

But yeah back on the medkit point.. thats what literally was wrong with circle of healing. Can't leave chase cause they could just self heal in 16/18/21 seconds.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Nah.

Both roles are different. Killers only have 4 perks, whilst survivors have 16 to work with, and can thus build to at least soft-counter most possibilities.

You'd have to substantially nerf medkits, for starters as 4x medkits sort of necessitates Franklin's on some killers.

• Lochnload_exe
    Lochnload_exe Member Posts: 1,360

It is part of the balance that killer gets to be prepared for the match. It also helps with killers that require more setup or surprise like stealth

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

What I think its ridiculous is that survivors still cant see which perks each other are bringing.

In a game that suggests you should "coordinate".

• BreadSilence
    BreadSilence Member Posts: 77

There is no pregame chat if you're on console though....

• Ryuhi

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. The ability to quickswap is still there though.

• Rokku_Rorru
    edited September 2022

Lightborn ironically doesn't bother me, it's one less perk I need to deal with and why I'll always enter a lobby showing a flashlight. It's franklin's I think is the annoying one if anything haha

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869

Nah. It's not like I can switch to plague when I see 4 medkits in the lobby.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

Then people who bring good items would be tunneled out. It is better to keep it vague.

• Usernameforderek
    Usernameforderek Member Posts: 21

Waaah! My flashlight bully squad has to actually play the game because the killer picked Lightborn!

Boo hoo hoo! Our sabotage squad has to keep retrieving our toolboxes!

Those perks exist specifically to counter certain items. If those aren't being brought, then having them is essentially running a three perk game. And considering that survivors just keep getting perks added to base kit, that's simply not balanced at all.

• Lamoore
    Lamoore Member Posts: 73

This is a good idea. πŸ‘ it would help solo queue survivors. Promote teamwork even if they're not on Coms. Would definitely eliminate a lot of misery for solos.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Honestly it's pointless as long as survivors can change loadout in that screen.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152