Are you a bad killer if you run ruin?

I remember someone saying that if you run ruin you aren't a good killer, now, this did come from someone who mains survivor so i would take this with a grain of salt. But feel free to comment down below what you think.

In my opinion i don't think anyone is a bad killer if they ruin, considering that gens can be done a little too fast, i can see why most people run it, i only run it on spirit simply because i would like some time to be able to find people, but i will say that on certain killers like Billy should not need ruin, considering he does have an excessive amount of map pressure.

Comments

• NuclearBurrito2
    NuclearBurrito2 Member Posts: 262

Other way around. Good Killers are the ones who don't need ruin but run it anyways because you want to maximize your odds of winning.

This is a video game, play to win

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582
    Ruin is one of few tools that help slow the game down (just a little bit). Some killers can do without it but against skilled survivors they need to impose massive pressure. Using Ruin doesn't make you bad at all. At most it just means you're not the absolute best of the best and even then a lot of them use ruin.

• JanTheMan
    JanTheMan Member Posts: 495
    Bad killers run Noed...
  • Detective_Jonathan
    Detective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165

@JanTheMan said:
    Bad killers run Noed...

Bad survivors run DS ;)

@ClogWench said:
    Ruin is one of few tools that help slow the game down (just a little bit). Some killers can do without it but against skilled survivors they need to impose massive pressure. Using Ruin doesn't make you bad at all. At most it just means you're not the absolute best of the best and even then a lot of them use ruin.

I like what you did there, yea i think the same thing, i run it on spirit but i only pair it with Haunted Ground just to add a little bit of spice to the match.

• Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835
    On Billy and Nurse its training wheels perk. Kinda like using DS.
  • Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

Calling a killer bad for needing Ruin is like calling a crippled person weak for needing a cane...that's how stupid it sounds.

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948
    Why should it make you bad? Ruin gets destroyed quick anyway, so you actually are a good killer if you ruin because you play 90% of the match only with 3 perks lol
  • Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Bad in performance or value?

Cause it'll only make a Killer better when running it.
    A person's opinion of the Killer would go down, but only for those who dislike the Perk.

• switch
    switch Member Posts: 489
    edited February 2019

Funny, ruin is actually useless since in 95%+ of my matches it goes down within 60 seconds, yet if you dont run it you get -3 gens within 100 seconds.
    Why would someone be bad if they play in 3 perks ?

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

Absolutely not. Gens get done ridiculously fast if you don't have ruin. I use it on just about every killer.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

@NuclearBurrito2 said:
    Other way around. Good Killers are the ones who don't need ruin but run it anyways because you want to maximize your odds of winning.

This is a video game, play to win

For a second I thought you said pay to win lol. Yeah you're right it's a play to win.

• Poweas

Running ruin doesn't mean you're a bad killer.

• Detective_Jonathan

@Poweas said:

Yea i thought so, but this whole mentality about if you use it you're a bad killer has me wondering about the general mentality of everyone in the community. Like i said, i use the perk as well, but i don't think some people should be shamed about someone running a perk.

• Poweas

@Detective_Jonathan said:

@Poweas said:

Yea i thought so, but this whole mentality about if you use it you're a bad killer has me wondering about the general mentality of everyone in the community. Like i said, i use the perk as well, but i don't think some people should be shamed about someone running a perk.

This game has such a weird community.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,862

Fun thing about this game is it will tell you if you do good or bad. If you did bad then you will lose a pip. If you did "okay" then you won't gain or lose a pip. If you did good then you gain a pip. If you did great then you gain 2 pips. Whatever killer, perks, add ons, offerings, or strategies you use is irrelevant in terms of determining if you did good or bad.

• Weederick
    Weederick Member Posts: 1,080

You dont need ruin. It doesnt make you a bad killer, but playing without it will benefit you in the long run.
    The games you lose are against 3-4 good survivor who work through ruin anyways. In 90% of the matches it is overly effective though imo. Not saying overpowered since it can be countered, but for actual game impact, its probably the strongest perk for killers.
    Playing without ruin means every mistake is costly. So in a way, i consider ruin a crutch, but i can see why many people pick it up, the gen times are really too fast.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    I don't consider anyone bad for using what the game provides within the rules.

It probably comes down to a lot of players thinking certain perks or items are bad due to the the belief that it's the only reason they can beat them.
  • Detective_Jonathan

@Poweas said:

@Poweas said:

Cough Daddy Myers Cough

In all seriousness, nothing against people who want Daddy Myers, but you ya'll need some help if you are actually sexually attracted to him.

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

Ruin is just one of the pillars of the weak design for the match progress. The reason: It's still universally better for survivors to split up and work on multiple generators. Ruin is most effective against multiple survivors on the same generator, though.

Using Ruin doesn't make you a bad killer, but it can greatly increase the time you have as the killer to progress the match. I always use it because I dislike tunneling and camping, and the more time I have, the more I can invest into splitting hooks and punishment.

• Paddy4583
    Paddy4583 Member Posts: 864
    Use what you want, when you want, how you want, and on who you want!
    F what anyone else tells you, it’s your game and your perks!
  • WatchBloodRain
    WatchBloodRain Member Posts: 175
    I think ruin is fine as it can counter gen rushing a tad, annoying maybe as a survivor but it forces you to get better at skill checks, the one killer perk I feel bad using is noed, ran it for two matches since I forgot to take it off, I hit someone opening the gates, felt bad so left them for teammates to heal
  • MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

No way. Ruin is a meta perk because it slows down the ONLY thing survivors need to do to escape. Generators get popped like hot cakes without Ruin.

Bad killers run NOED and bad survivors run DS 🤷🏼‍♀️

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

I remember someone saying that if you run ruin you aren't a good killer, now, this did come from someone who mains survivor so i would take this with a grain of salt. But feel free to comment down below what you think.

In my opinion i don't think anyone is a bad killer if they ruin, considering that gens can be done a little too fast, i can see why most people run it, i only run it on spirit simply because i would like some time to be able to find people, but i will say that on certain killers like Billy should not need ruin, considering he does have an excessive amount of map pressure.

If you are playing killer and joining the match with only 3 perks I fail to see how that makes you bad?

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,897
    Unless you want to be gen rushed you run ruin. Even then that is no guarantee as it can be found and taken out early, or survivors just work through it.
  • Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893

@Poweas said:

@Poweas said:

Cough Daddy Myers Cough

In all seriousness, nothing against people who want Daddy Myers, but you ya'll need some help if you are actually sexually attracted to him.

Help because they're attracted to a bunch of pixels or help because they're attracted to a psychopathic murderer
  • fluffybunny
    fluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161

Depends on rank and killer, I guess. Nurse and Billy generally don't need ruin. At higher ranks, you should expect ruin. It's needed to slow down the game.

• Acromio
    Acromio Member Posts: 1,737

No. You're wasting a perk slot, though.

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

What even is a good killer anymore anyway? But to answer your question, nah, it's a perk like any other, it's just considered meta and "annoying" to survivors so ofc they're going to whine about it.

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154

To understand if a killer is good just look at their skill, perks and add-ons don't matter

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154

@fluffybunny said:
    Depends on rank and killer, I guess. Nurse and Billy generally don't need ruin. At higher ranks, you should expect ruin. It's needed to slow down the game.

Monto: Appears behind you Just a little bit

• Detective_Jonathan

@Aari_Piggy66 said:
    Detective_Jonathan said:

@Poweas said:

@Poweas said:

Cough Daddy Myers Cough

Help because they're attracted to a bunch of pixels or help because they're attracted to a psychopathic murderer

Both

• Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    Nope. With how fast people can get gens done these days, and almost no desire to fix that, ruin is fine. 

You could easily argue that if the survivors are any good, they can find and break the totem.
  • HawkAyeTheNoo
    HawkAyeTheNoo Member Posts: 731
    Sensible killers run ruin for the simple facts it slows down gens as a large majority of survivors in this game cant do ruin gens and instead run about looking for the totem. 
  • The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688

If they use Billy or Nurse and aren't inexperienced with those 2 characters then yes.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

No, but you are a GOOD killer if you can consistently win without Ruin/NOED.

Also, IMO Nurse is a killer that doesn't NEED Ruin, but if you use it on Nurse it doesn't automatically make you a bad Nurse, just not a good Nurse if that makes sense. And I'd argue the same point for Billy and possibly Spirit to a lesser degree.

In fact the only top tier killer I feel needs Ruin is Huntress, because she is the only real slow killer in the game and thus needs that extra map pressure to make up for it.

However if you run Ruin and NOED together then yes, you are probably a bad killer.

• vampire_toothy
    vampire_toothy Member Posts: 381

The way I see it is that the game provides a bunch of perks and addons for everyone to use, you do not become a good or bad player just because you have them. If you can run the perks and utilize them right, make solid plays and have a good understanding of the game then you are a good player and no perk can change that though they can enhance your experience with the game.

• Tiyr
    Tiyr Member Posts: 52

As others have pointed out if it is within the games rules and available it doesn't make you bad. As an example Ralphfromthesouth runs ruin on his huntress and the guy is really damn good at hitting his M2's

• Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,237

Its a necessity at high ranks. It should be built in for every killer

• MaxiferPriest
    MaxiferPriest Member Posts: 189

LUL. survivor mains hate ruin (baby survivor mains) cuz they cannot finish all gens in 4-7 mins. I dunno when devs will ######### face the problem that is gen rush but it's getting annoying af! i'm on the brink of deleting dbd cuz almoust every game is just gen rush 5min game. it's stupid. if you want this gen times survivors should die on the 2nd hook, windows can be vaulted only 2 times whilst in chase before entity blocks it etc.

• Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

No your not a bad killer for running Ruin. It's an essential perk with how bad Gen Times are, Not that it even lasts the first minute of the game anyway :lol:

• SkerpiTwitch
    SkerpiTwitch Member Posts: 327

Killers are condemned to 3 perks only, you need ruin and you will lose it fast. Ruin should be implented in the game so killer have 4 perks. The other totems are a matter of choice, i dont use them for the same reasons but they can be replaced by a different playstyle. Ruin can't be replaced

• Snikers
    Snikers Member Posts: 64

You shouldn't be shamed for running any perk, just as survivors shouldn't be shamed for running any perk in and of itself. That said, Ruin starts giving diminishing returns after a certain point. This point is less about your skill level and more about the survivors', as they either memorize the totem spawns for every match or just land so many great skill checks that Ruin barely affects them.

That said, killers with setup time like Trapper or Hag absolutely need the early-game benefit of Ruin even at top-level play.

• xXNurseXx
    xXNurseXx Member Posts: 261

no youre not

use whatever you want but there are some killers (nurse, billy and spirit) where you dont need ruin because its a waste of perk slot

• Tucking_Friggered
    Tucking_Friggered Member Posts: 636
    edited February 2019

No, you are a bad killer if you let your opponent use psychology to dictate how you accomplish your goal. The reason being is you will always play in a less optimal way and be less of a challenge than someone who laughs in their face and exploits every crumb of advantage they can gain. I know which one I'd place my money on winning and being "better".

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371
    You are only a bad killer if you let the punny survivors coments get to you. Do you feel bad for the cow when you eat a burger? It's basicly the same principle