How to give non-mobility killers mobility?

Options

I'm more so asking a question because I think it should be brought up. There's certain killers that struggle immensely because they lack any kind of mobility.

The Cannibal

The Trickster

The Clown

The Shape

There's probably a couple I missed. Then again some of these killers also have fairly weak powers which is more than half the issue.

But, I just want to know how they could be given a little bit of mobility to help with map pressure, yet not make them completely overbearing or accidentally make the chase unfair.

Comments

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941
    Options

Didn't all killers get a Bloodlust buff just when the meta shakeup happened?

What if they get mobility and play with their stronger + strongest add-ons? How would that be balanced?

• BrightWolf
    BrightWolf Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2022
    Options

For Trickster, he has an add-on that buffs his movement speed while throwing knives so he doesn't slow down as much. But I do agree that his base movement speed needs to be buffed, not by much but just enough that he has a little more gen pressure. Especially on the larger maps, where he has the least amount of gen pressure due to how far spread everything is.

I also think his power "Main Event" needs a bit of a rework as it is pretty underwhelming, though effective when used correctly.

Just FYI, I love Trickster. He's really fun to play, but his weaknesses can be a little annoying.

• KingFieldShipper
    KingFieldShipper Member Posts: 610
    Options

How about we shrink maps first and go from there to adjust killer and survivor balance instead of a band aid fix for non mobile killers? Shrink everything to at least wreckers yard - my dream would be personally have everything the size of coal tower.

• Nirgendwohin
    Nirgendwohin Member Posts: 1,251
    Options

Give Trickster 2% more movment speed and remove 60% of his knives, also knives hitting closer than 5 meters away only do half the damage.

• Whoudini
    Whoudini Member Posts: 309
    Options

I saw a great idea in a forum post which suggested that the trapper can use an ability that lets him put away his weapon to go faster. The idea of this was to allow him to quickly rush to a survivor who stepped in a trap before they could escape. I however think this idea could actually work for all low mobility killers where they put away their weapon to get a move speed boost. It should have a coming out cooldown so it cant be used in loops at all, but it would really help low tier killers especially with getting between gens or on bigger maps.

• Whoudini
    Options

100% agree with this as well. Why does mother's dwelling have to be so big it takes the typical killer 30-40 seconds to go from one side to the other?

• BrightWolf
    Options

It would certainly help with killers who have low gen pressure and would stop three gens popping in less than ninety seconds. :-/

• Dem34888
    Dem34888 Member Posts: 48
    Options

Giving extra mobility to a killer (the shape) that can kill you even without one hook, is this a joke?

• BrightWolf
    Options

This is a really good idea, but then ofc it'd have to be balanced around the killer being able to pull out their weapon for an M1 or the use of their power in the case of someone like Trickster or Huntress. Unless they can like "bodyslam" into the survivor to knock them into an "injured" state or something? could be hilarious.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

Blight and Nurse would dominate even more than they already do as they’re cruel and unrestrained on small maps. And the survival rate would continue to drop, driving more survivors from the game. It’s hard to remember but the kill rate for every single killer is above 50%. Additionally, survivors actually need a decent shot at escape, and for them that is considerably map-dependent.

• KingFieldShipper
    KingFieldShipper Member Posts: 610
    Options

Hence, me saying "shrink maps first and go from there to adjust killer and survivor balance".

Although I don't agree with you that survival rate will continue to drop - coal tower, for instance, is a perfectly balanced map considering rng and loop logic the game has in addition to it's size. Survivors, as long as you just don't hold w, have equal shot at escaping as a killer does at a 3-4k.

Not to mention.. A nurse or blight, or spirit, that would destroy the a group of survivors on mothers dwelling today would still destroy the same team on coal tower or wreckers yard or any of the smaller maps now.

Maps getting smaller is a benefit to every side imo, and will allow the game to be balanced better in general.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358
    Options

Then you give him a movement penalty when he uses the add on... it's not rocket science

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    Options

I love the concept of non-euclidean maps, but for some reason I don't trust them to work in this game.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,280
    Options

I honestly think maps just need a size reduction and need to be around the same size. Killers that have a strong 1v1 but not much mobility are kind of balanced because they cant get around the map as fast, imagine if Trickster or Huntress could get around the map as well as say Dredge or Billy, they would be absolutely insane

• deckyr
    deckyr Member Posts: 752
    Options
  • GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452
    Options

Just reduce map size. Literally most maps in the game could use a 25% reduction in size, and some of them would still be too big.

• AverageAshEnjoyer
    AverageAshEnjoyer Member Posts: 427
    Options

Some killers shouldnt have mobility. If clown had mobility, he would just be a better freddy. If bubba had mobility, he would be a better billy (not like he already isnt)

• Ryuhi
    Options

They need map pressure more than mobility. Killers like clown tell the entire map that they are currently chasing someone, and anyone not in their TR has the green light to rush the hell out of gens. He would need something that offsets that net negative to map pressure more than a teleport or anything like that. Same with pretty much any killer with global sounds like that, with slinger his lower TR helped when he had that, but currently demo is the only one that really has anything to offset the global safety notifications.

• Ryuhi
    Options

And thats why people complain when every killer runs 4 gen slowdown perks. Throwing perks at issues as bandaid fixes is not how to foster gameplay variety.

• Dem34888
    Options

This is how it works right now, and I do not see any mistakes with it, I'm against giving him extra speed, moreover he may use Play With Your Food for additional 15% movement speed, so - NO

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,195
    Options

And swf easily tell their friend who is chased it just makes soloQ and swf bit closer.

• Ryuhi
    edited October 2022
    Options

And what do killers get in exchange for all of that free information that large amounts of the game are not balanced for (clarification edit: ...If you are balancing for SWF?) I hope you plan to rework all the stealth and trap based killers before these changes.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358
    Options

You know how situational that perk is? Not to mention you only get value out of it at tier 3

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,725
    Options

I'd love Ghostface to have the ability to mark 3 lockers. After entering a locker, he could look at and teleport to a locker that he had marked. Once doing a teleport, the locker he teleported TO loses its mark, and the locker he teleported FROM gains a mark. Ends up ole Danny Johnson had an accomplice the whole time.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941
    edited October 2022
    Options

But lockers are Dredge's whole thing to begin with.

Maybe if he could just hide in lockers for surprises that would be more in character, but survivors in that case should be able to open lockers without entering them and if they find him in they smash the locker door on him to escape. Otherwise he lurks in a locker near a gen and can probably surprise grab or scare people.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,808
    Options

The bloodlust buff wasn't strong, and really only kicks in when you're already not doing well, and doesn't last long. And you're probably only going to be in it while looping.

BL =/= map mobility.

The issue isn't as much a killer issue as it is piss poor map design.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195
    Options

The reality is that maps need to lose all RNG. Variants are fine, but every map detail needs to be hand crafted.

From there we can either inflate/shrink maps or rebalance pallets/windows

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 5,998
    Options

So just massive Trickster nerfs. Also "closer than 5 meters away" so punishing trickster for accurate hits?

• BrightWolf
    Options

I love how people say that Trickster is a more boring or annoying version of Huntress. Like that's the point of his kit? Trickster is more like an SMG whereas Huntress is a sniper. You don't see people wanting the removal of SMGs in an FPS, so why should Trickster be nerfed because he plays like one? Not to mention, in a touch of realism, knives are a hell of a lot lighter than hatchets which makes them easier to throw in rapid succession.

Also IIRC, Trickster originally had to land eight knives to get a down, where six was the old "injured" status. So yeah, reducing the number of blades he can carry (which is forty-four without add-ons) would just nerf him and as you said, punish players for missing knives because of various reasons on both killer and survivor side of the gameplay loop.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 5,998
    Options

that's why I always loved Trickster more than huntress. feels like a machine gun, and much more fun to me

• BrightWolf
    Options

Exactly, he's just really fun to play. I've always preferred "faster" gameplay loops, in comparison to "slower" loops. Yet, I love stealth games. But yeah, in FPS games SMGs, FA Pistols and ARs are my favourite weapons to use. They're just more fun to me, so killers like Trickster and Legion are extremely fun for me to play, because they match my preferred gameplay style.

• Rokku_Rorru
    Rokku_Rorru Member Posts: 950
    Options

Yeah maybe a scourge hook that spawns map edge portals, but then again agitation is what I use for mobility to begin with

• Haddix
    Haddix Member Posts: 1,027
    Options

i think a reward-based mobility system would work, if that were to EVER come to the game. but i really want killers to be sorted under different classifications. killers within a mobility category would not get a basekit mobility mechanic, killers that are not within that category would.

i.e. a Trickster hooking a Survivor spawns a Rift next to the hook, and interacting with the rift will transport you to another rift (1 of 4?) on the map, which could be the one with the most survivors nearby, or one of your choosing so you're not also given free information.

the game just isn't balanced around that kind of system and it'd probably be overkill on certain killers. again, if killers were categorized based on the strengths of their powers, this system could act differently for each. again, for example, the system i proposed may only spawn a rift after 2-3 hooks have been achieved for a killer who's got a slowdown/situational teleport mechanic basekit, like pinhead. whereas other killers, like myers, could have one given to them at each and every hook.

it wouldn't be easy to implement overall

• JoaoVanBlizzard
    JoaoVanBlizzard Member Posts: 554
    Options

it would be interesting if the maps were self-adjusting according to the killer, if it is a low mobility killer like you mentioned, the maps would be smaller, so the map control becomes easier for them

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,597
    Options

It's simple. Make the game slow enough to where killers with no map mobility don't lose easily.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,725
    Options

True, but the topic was about mobility for non-mobile killers. XD

I'd love for GF to be able to hide in lockers. If someone tries to open a locker with him in it, he lashes out and does a basic attack.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,992
    Options

I really think they should have a basekit mechanic where killers increase speed for a short duration after hooking a survivor, similar to Devour Hope, just something to encourage going for hooks and pressuring after a hook.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,870
    Options

Blood Lust should do the opposite of what it does now, IMO. Give killers the same 5/10/15% bonus speed after 10/18/25 seconds out of chase to let the reach places faster and spend more time in action.

The only issue to figure out is how to avoid killers chasing while looking backward to avoid starting a chase like the old days of Legion.

• Dem34888
    Options

I've been playing so much against Myerses who had purple or red tombstone or endless tier 3 with In memory of J. Myers or Judith's diary, like 3 / 4 trials

Superior Anatomy + Bamboozle + Play With Your Food is a chase combo for Myers, it's not "situational perk"

His purple & red addons should be reworked in case of additional mobility, at least kill survivors after one hook stage not instantly, reduce movement speed as it now by 9% for red or NOT AT ALL for purple - this means he has either +6% or +15% speed with kill ability

Also, combining addons like red tombstone and infinite tier 3 along with Play With Your Food + Superior Anatomy + Bamboozle is another thing to think about his mobility change

Also think about the fact that in this game the balance staggers from side to side depending on which map you're currently playing and random

• INoLuv
    INoLuv Member Posts: 464
    Options

Corrupt should be basekit, pre nerf corrupt or post nerf corrupt basekit.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,986
    Options

Things like 'map portals' and even 'reverse bloodlust' are too extreme, plus how do you decide which killers get and and which don't when it comes to those in the middling range like Spirit, Hag, Freddy, Sadako, etc.

A much better way would be an add-on pass for the struggling killers, and give them a couple of add ons that help with movement. Such as Trapper getting an add on that increases his movement speed by 4% outside of chase while not carrying bear traps.

• Vampwire
    Vampwire Member Posts: 704
    Options

You don't. That's part of their design. If Pyramid Head could cage someone and make it across the map in 5 seconds then he's now one of the strongest killers in the game. What we really need is maps that are reasonably sized and created in a way that's clear and easy to navigate. Giving killers who don't have mobility ways to instantly traverse the map trivializes any killer with that power built in and makes balance a complete mess.

There's a trade-off with every power. Normally it's some form of strong anti-loop but with no way to quickly cross the map. Or the other way around. That's why the killers who have both, Blight, Spirit and Nurse are the best in the game.

• Whoudini
    Options

True, there are many things you could do, the body slam thing would be hilarious a bit like a wesker dash. It would just have to be adjusted according to each killer (blight for example would not even need this so it should not be added for him).

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869
    Options

Essentially wraith without the stealth?

Can wraith move faster then?

• Norhc
    Norhc Member Posts: 575
    Options

Clown and Leatherface, not any kind of mobility? Clown, Leatherface and Myers, weak powers? Did you start playing the game yesterday and/or you're just coping hard about your constant losses? Anyway, non-mobility killers is fine, it's the awful design of so many maps in this game that is the real issue.