Don't say "wp" if you won decisively

Options

Comments

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,100
    Options

You mean 8hooks and 0kills?

If yes, then i would expect nothing less than a ggwp because I as the killer went out of my way to intentionally play "fair and friendly" to keep all survivor as long as possible in the game instead of tipping the scales in my favor AT ALL by killing someone at any point.

What you describe is not a bad game but an intentionally "fair and friendly" playing killer. At that point you can't be mad since it was the killer own decision to play like this otherwise it's nearly impossible to get such a score.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,586
    Options

Then let's go back to said football game. If the losing team fought their hardest and put up a good game with the "winning" team a single touchdown, would they have played really well?

• burt0r
    Options

And how would the loser team feel when the for example missed their qualifiers by that one touchdown?

Broken.

And anything the winner can say at that point will come across as pitty or condescending depending on intonation and body language.

And getting pittied in a moment of frustration by the ones that ruined your dreams isn't helping at all.

And yes I know i blew you metaphor out of proportion but it isn't a good one in the first place given the asymmetrical nature of the game.

• Rulebreaker
    Options

You assume broken, but do you always know what the opposition feels? I know I don't so maybe it's condescending to say ggwp. But at the same time maybe they think your an arse for not saying anything, that their best wasn't worth being polite to?

But what do I know, I'm just a guy who wants the player base to be Abit more civil (odd coming from us but it is what it is)

• Ashes
    Ashes Member Posts: 68
    Options

i got this gg wp from a nurse who absolutely decimated our team (solo queue). i told them it was a bad game because overpowered killer and they laughed at me but i explained that they did play well and the game (DBD) was bad for such poor balancing :D

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911
    Options

If someone is trying to be polite to you, and YOU are the one that takes offense...

maybe the problem is not that someone is trying to be polite and sportsmanlike to you, but that you are overly sensitive and mistake normal interactions as personal attacks?

• burt0r
    edited October 2022
    Options

Do like i did, SAY NOTHING.

I played 2 years with the 8hooks+0kills/12hooks playstyle and from my pov "GG" came OVERWHELMINGLY only after games where i didn't even get 5 hooks.

Most often it was just silence no matter the platform and it was okay. But when GG comes way more often after a crushing defeat and NEVER after i won then it loses its polite meaning.

Only a true minority were explicitly friendly (mostly during events) and the same amount was still toxic even with my "fair and friendly" playstyle.

• burt0r
    Options

Imprinting.

If the "GG wp" majorly comes after a lose, however crushing, and nothing after a win, initiated by the loser or as an answer, then over time it loses its polite meaning and gets mentally connected to losses and won't be taken as polite but condescending or pitty. And I guess no one likes getting pittied when they feel down or frustrated.

• FilthyLegionMain
    FilthyLegionMain Member Posts: 1,148
    Options

Basically this. If we get stomped and you say well played, I'm taking that like a ggez. When it's a super close game however, I get the warm happy feelings.

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911
    Options

Maybe certain people shouldn't play multiplayer games if they are that sensitive. No offence intended, but seriously.

Just take it on the chin and keep your head up. If losing at a game hurts you, find something else to do with your time.

• burt0r
    edited October 2022
    Options

Ah yes the buzzword, sensitive.

I guess you never felt frustrated losing in a game or sport and always were the gracious loser "taking it on the chin".

Newsflash, humans are emotional beings. It's psychology and will always happen in all kinds of aspects of live.

Instead of ignoring the potential influence you can have on other and keeping that in mind, they should just scurry off out of any aspect that might negatively influence them.

Maybe people should think twice about how their output could be interpreted before doing something to feel better about themselves. Because "i said it because I thought I was being polite" is in my eyes feeding oneselves ego feeling better about themselves doing what they THINK was helpful to their surroundings.

For example, i am tall and thought I should help people in grocery stores reach something from the top shelves. But often they don't even want any help and me offering or straight up doing it is nothing else but me forcing upon them to make me feel better because i did something "good" without even thinking about the others person's wishes.

But unlike in the grocery store where i can ask the person if they want help or, to get back to DBD, how they feel, it is better to simply do nothing than to force ones own values (here politeness) upon the other party.

And yes I know that going to such lengths is way over the top in the world of online anonymity but hey it's my form of selfsatisfaction using the same standards as in real life.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    Options

People can do individually good plays but still lose decisively. Plus it comes across as more positive than gg ez. Nothing wrong with giving a newer/worse player a bit of encouragement versus rubbing salt in the wound. It's called being nice to people.

• TatsuiChiyo
    TatsuiChiyo Member Posts: 684
    Options

Maybe dont be so sensitive?

• Rulebreaker
    edited October 2022
    Options

And that is your own experience. Mine has been more along the lines of 2/5 polite, 2/5 insults, and last silent. From my perspective, I don't see a reason NOT to try and be polite. I've slaughtered squads, said gg, and they responded in kind. I've also had the opposite. Just because it's mocking to you don't mean its mocking to another.

Apologies if I'm rambling but our attention is split

• burt0r
    Options

Well then good for you with that experience and have fun continuing the way you do. I won't stop you.

But from my experience in DBD, lol, r6s, ow and other games, the loser hardly initiates a GG and mostly winner say it, so in my eyes, trying to be better than just neutral silence, no matter how the other party might feel, is in my eyes selfserving (like my urge to be helpful, without regard for the wish of the other party, i explained in my other post above) and I will keep abstaining from doing it.

• Rulebreaker
    Options

Do as you will mate, no one gonna stop ya. Gonna be honest here we also forgot what we were focused on for this trail of thought.

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 684
    Options

Nah, we had someone in here not too long ago complaining about people not saying anything after the match as well. Just do what you are gonna do and people need to understand the sentiment behind the message.

• burt0r
    Options

Really?

The last one i can remember and probably commented on was this one:

And it was about a similar topic of "GG" ending up not being taken the right way depending on the way the match went or the receiving party handling it.

And I remain with my opinion, if you don't know how the other party might feel after a loss, just say nothing, a "GG" might not help and make things even worse.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,288
    Options

I'm absolutely certain that the majority of the time if not the overwhelming majority of the time people basically just type GG without really giving it much thought. I know I've done so for ages, it has just been that thing you do after playing a multiplayer match with someone and I've experienced other games where not saying it makes people think you're a sore winner/loser.

I have stopped in DBD though, I just say it if opponent(s) do it first. Not because I think there's a single thing wrong with gg or ggwp, but because I've had enough people hit me with the "actually... it was bg, here's 10 messages explaining why" for me to not really care anymore.

• Rulebreaker
    Options

But by that same logic it might make things better. ( We are here now for giggles) Also the forums did have someone who was whining about silence, though I think it was a yearish ago.

• RonMan32
    RonMan32 Member Posts: 413
    Options

Just because it was a 4 man escape or a 4k doesn't mean the other side didn't play well. Obviously they didn't play well ENOUGH to win. It's meant as a nice thing. It's better than having the winner just say gg because yeah it was a good game FOR THEM. Unless they are saying gg ez or otherwise being toxic you shouldn't take it negatively or as sarcasm.

I usually keep my mouth shut if I won as Killer because being polite at the end of the match invites people who think like you to get mad and act toxic to me. If they say GG tho I'll participate in post game banter.

• RonMan32
    RonMan32 Member Posts: 413
    Options

That's more of a you thing than a them thing. If you see it as mocking that's all you. If they wanna mock you it'll be way more straightforward that they're mocking you. People aren't passive aggressive with ggwp. Not most people anyway. Even if a small handful of people are doing it as a passive aggressive thing, if you just assume the best it will never bother you because people don't put in chat "Well played (passive aggressive tone)" that would be such a weird way to talk lmao.

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710
    Options

Depends if they lost 21-6 but out yarded the other team 400-200 why not, its called sportsmanship.

• Agt_Scully
    Agt_Scully Member Posts: 154
    Options

Exactly. A killer isn't going to mock Survivors with a ggwp and no other language. That would be like a 1950s "Golly gee," "Holy rusted metal," "Great Caesar's Ghost" taunt. The point of the gg / wp chat is to recognize a good faith effort on the part of Survivors and show respect for playing the objective and actually trying (as opposed to DCing, hiding in a locker all game, bad manners, sacrificing on hook, selfish play).

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,250
    Options

It's polite sportsmanship. There's nothing wrong with it.

• FreddyVoorhees
    FreddyVoorhees Member Posts: 324
    Options

A boxing match starts , within the first 3 seconds one boxer hits and ko the other one with a single hit . He then says well played to the unconscious one.

Politeness or mockery ?

Bonus question , how do you think the oposing fans will understand these words ?

• DoritoHead
    DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546
    Options

Dbd players when people can lose despite playing well and doing their best

• scorpio
    scorpio Member Posts: 354
    Options

Seems that someone’s reaction to a “wp” says more about their own thinking than about the person saying it. A killer can 4K and still think you played well. Survivors can all escape and still think you played well. As long as they weren’t BMing or being toxic in game then I’d take the “wp” as genuine and move on.

• scorpio
    Options

Not really comparable. DBD is very RNG based and asymmetrical at its core with a ton of random elements on each side that you won’t know about. With football, the field is the same, the rules are the same, etc. You can get 8 hooks in DBD and no kills. That doesn’t mean you played badly.

• Rovend
    Rovend Member Posts: 1,047
    Options

Why would you get mad for someone saying "wp"?

Many players put "gg wp" as courtesy after a match, regardless who won or lost.

You are also not forced in any way to answer or even read the end game chat.

• FreddyVoorhees
    Options

It depends on what people consider "well/good play". On situations and norms too. One must not be self centered and oblivious on how their message will be understood. People have died in real life because of this.

What do you think would happen most of time if I got downed 3 times within first 2m of the match and got sacrficed only to later post that i played well in the chat.

I may think that I did some nicer loop tricks , killer might think that too. But the teammates will hurl slurs for ruining their chances and being s****t in this game.

Its not about paranoia. Nor bruised ego. Its about making sure your message is "well understood". To avoid missunderstanding. A common plague amongst human kind.

What if after the 2014 world cup (germany 7:1 brazil) you went to the brazil ultras and told them that brazil played well ? You would be surprised after looking at your medical bill. You may ask yourself "But why, I was being polite?".

The reality is that they misunderstood your words as sarcasm and mockery.

If you want to be nice to a team that just got destroyed AND make sure they actually understand what you are trying to say , be a bit more specific. Many have suggested above , mention a player that did someting good , wish them luck etc.

gwwp is for not meant for domination matches. It will be missunderstood most of the time. Use it when they have done at least a few gens looped you decently enough.

• scorpio
    Options

You understand you’re going off like this because someone told you you played well right?

• Rovend
    Options

Wow, i think you should really not read the endgame chat if something like "wp" gives you this much thought.

• FreddyVoorhees
    Options

It doesn't. But a third of the commenters in this thread not being able to understand the message of the post does.

I'll help you understand it better :

"Saying ggwp after a stomp will be often missunderstood and give you toxic replies no matter what you think you meant ".

• Rulebreaker
    Options

Honestly I think the point of the OP was a order not to say ggwp followed by insults which has gained a MASSIVE amount of attention.

As for saying it and getting toxic replies, good cause those that can't understand basic politeness often spew out toxic regardless.

• Rulebreaker
    Options
  • Blue_Archer33
    Blue_Archer33 Member Posts: 318
    Options

Why do so many people reply so cynically if the Killer messages the Survivors or vice versa with real sportsmanship? Even if I curb stomp the survivors and they still played well despite losing, I'll say "Good Game, friends :) you played well."

Why do so many people snap back at this? Like sorry for trying to be polite and fight how toxic this fanbase is? Guess I'll just not compliment you on your playing?

• FreddyVoorhees
    Options

But that is the problem. Is our world full of tolerant and mature people ? Big no would be the answer. Which is why I think that folks should take an extra step and reduce toxicity by being a bit more clear.

Being the bigger man is the point. Most people cant be helped. But they can be kept chill with an extra word or two if needed. Then this forum whirlpools would happen less often.

• FinestFantasyVI
    FinestFantasyVI Member Posts: 113
    Options

When killers and survivors are somewhat of equal footing and if it was an exciting and fun match, i do love me some ggwp. But if the killer crushes me and my team at 5 gens in 5 seconds, ggwp does come off as a mock, because its obvious, that the survivors didnt play well. Now if a killer loses well, again depends how bad he lost. But yeah it would feel real bad if the killer lost badly with like 3 hooks and 0 kills for example. I think when someone is wiped out and is aware they did not play well, I hit them with a "gg, gl next game" its neutral sounding and friendly

• neb
    neb Member Posts: 790
    edited October 2022
    Options

yeah next time ill say get ######### loser

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,190
    Options

I do that to anyone who's trying to bait me into an argument after they lost soundly, most of the time the people getting upset at this are the ones who engage in the foul chat the most and they aren't getting the reaction they want

• Rovend
    Options

If you need to adjust what to say is because you believe is wrong.

At least for me, "GG WP" stands for "Good Game, Well Played" and if my english is not wrong this is not an insult.

So If this is enough to offend someone, then the problem is not really on my end.

It would be a nightmare if people were forced to do an internal mental analysis of whatever word they use to find hidden meanings to whatever person it might reach.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,559
    Options

And here I thought it was just good sportsmanship to say it and acknowledge the other sides skill.

• lifestylee
    lifestylee Member Posts: 242
    Options

cut out for communicating in online video game lol.

If the killers 12 hooks at 4/5 gens or the survivor get 4 out and the killer gets 1 hook in a 5 min game it probaly wasnt a ggwp.

I dont really say gg or ggwp at all ever in dbd, i'd reserve that for more balanced/competitive games. Whether i win/lose as killer or as survivor. Sometimes i say it if the other team (or my teammates) says it first if i check chat but must of the time i have chat off as its just a salt mine most of the time.