We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

How do you play Hag?

I think you just HAVE to camp / guard one area of map with at least 3 generators. You can't chase people at all since you are worse M1 killer. You have to rely and your traps. You can't also just place traps while you are in chase, they will just run to the next loop / window if you do that.

Am I wrong on this one? It seems like Survivors hate when you have 3-4 gen tactic and you just camp. But I mean this is how you play this killer by desing, right?

Am I correct or is there some other playstyle you can do while not trowing the whole game for it?

Comments

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,159

To a degree yet, Hag excels at zoning, so sticking to one side of the map is your best bet against any decent survivors.

• Roaroftime
    Roaroftime Member Posts: 413

You don’t

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,718

You create a web around a close 3 gen, hope that they don't have COH, get STBFL stacks, bind control to mouse wheel down, and profit.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

Many have said it make a web of traps in a certain zone. Let survivors take the Gens outside of your zone so they come to you.

Another strategy is to use the Slave Shackles and Severed Ear combo. Place traps around gens or areas that Survivors go alot and enjoy the jump scares you give them. Even if they use CoH don't snuff it instead place a few traps in the area....enjoy the salt you get afterwards.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,444
    edited October 2022

Hag is great at defending things. You don't want to actively chase survivors but instead make it nearly impossible for them to finish their objective.

That means:

1) You make out a part of the map with 3-4 generators close to each other.

2) Lock it down completely. There is a loop? Trap. There is a bottle neck? Trap. There is a gen? Trap. There is nothing at all? Trap.

3) Defend your gens. Let the survivors do the running. They'll come to you eventually. You stay put and patrol your web.

4) Don't leave your web. Do. Not. Leave. It. It doesn't matter if a survivor is injured and you can't down them. They'll heal and come back to you. Use that time to reset your traps.

5) You do not chase. Hag is not a chaser, she is an assassin. You get a hit when a survivor steps in your trap and that's it. If you can force them into a trap good but otherwise you don't care about them.

6) Always regress every little bit of progress they made on a gen. It's your gen and it better stays completely silent.

• Regulus47
    Regulus47 Member Posts: 450

Camp hooks. There's literally nothing more to it

• EvilSerje
    EvilSerje Member Posts: 1,070

Exactly like you said. You make a portion of the map extremely danger zone and rest of the map is safe zone.

• foodie
    foodie Member Posts: 437

I see some have answered you, so I will just add to that. You can definitely place traps during chases, you can also fake traps. And from personal experience 70% of the time the survivor will remain at the loop you trapped in front of them and try to outsmart you, which realistically is to your advantage only because they always mess up.

In general with all killers but especially hag, if a chase is lasting longer than a few seconds, leave, find someone else, kick a gen. If someone runs outside your web, leave them be, they will come back

Another thing is, don't feel like you are stuck on one side of the map, I always move my web as I move around and I never camp an area with gens, on purpose I mean. I dont start a match and look for gens to camp, i just start placing traps and looking for survivors. the quicker you manage to down someone the less survivors will be doing gens.

I strive to trap the areas where chases usually happen, middle map, big loops, survivors always go there and you're guaranteed an easy down.

Your web doesn't need to be close together, you can trap areas that are further away, so if you're in a chase survivors will gain confidence and think they're safe then boom. What I mean with this is having a trap or 2 that are more spaced out to a place where you know would be ran into. It all depends on the map and the situation but you got a lot of wiggle room

If you just started playing hag, test out different trapping and see what works for you. Hag mains have different playstyles and trap placement preferences.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I highly recommend looking up Michi’s YouTube channel and Hag guide, they’re an excellent Hag player with a ton of useful advice, including advice for more advanced Hag plays like chaining two traps together, using camera swings, bait traps that survivors know about so they go into ones they don’t, and so on.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,008

camp

• Zephinism
    Zephinism Member Posts: 541

Get rid of pallets in any area with some 1-2 person gens. Set up a web, hook survivor inside the web. Trade hook states among Survivors as they enter web to save and get downed rescuing (often before they can rescue with stbfl).

Also when you set a trap the person who triggers it will look the way you did when you set the trap so at TL walls set traps towards the wall so survivors run into the wall instead of getting the vault they want. This can force them into a slow or med vault.

• Fuzzycube
    Fuzzycube Member Posts: 249

She proxy camps and aims for a 3 gen situation, it’s not really very fun to play as in my opinion but each to their own.

• xni6_
    xni6_ Member Posts: 505

pick a 3gen, trap choke points, trap high traffic areas, never leave

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,037

Yeah, Hag has to play territorial to function. Set up in an area of the map with a good 3 gen and defend it. Get a hook and trap it. She's 4.4m/s, so she has to use her power to get downs reliably.

Yeah, I second this. Michi's Hag guide is super useful and informative.

• Omans
    Omans Member Posts: 1,081

By pretending she is not part of the killer roster.

Some killer concepts have been clear misses, like Hag or Trickster.

• Tranquil_Blue
    Tranquil_Blue Member Posts: 335

Yes, you basically need to be highly territorial (trap up 1/2 the map) to be successful with Hag. You are like a "spider" with a "web" of traps. The problem for me is that playing Hag ends up feeling very random. That is, your traps are set off at random times based on what the Survivors do. Yes, you can get nice hits, sometimes in chase, but you don't quite feel like you're "fully in control" (deciding where to go next and what to do next) in the same way as you do with most of the other Killers.

I mean, if you really want to play Hag differently, you can use Waterlogged Shoe + Scarred Hand once in a while for a very different chase-based playstyle (at least until you run out of the addons...).

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,366

Look up Michi, good Hag mentor.

• Ladyinadress18
    Ladyinadress18 Member Posts: 243

I’ve been playing hag for the last few days and have had great success with pretrapping common loops. So for example, I’ll go trap out the inside window of shack, as well as the long wall on the outside of shack. This way, I dominate shack and force them to leave it or get downed. I even had one heck of a hit the other night by not breaking the dropped shack pallet, but putting a trap on the outside of it when the survivor wasn’t looking. So they vaulted the pallet straight into my trap and I whacked them instantly after teleporting from the opposite side of the building.

im placing traps on the longer stretches around each loop. So basically I’m making loops very difficult for them.

additionally, I’m trapping long walls on loops that go around a building where I know I will be led later in the match.

move been doing fairly well. Mostly 3-4ks and occasional 1-2ks

oh and I’m running either 2 teleport distance add ons, or one distance add on and rusty shackles. And an anti healing build. No slow downs

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

Hag can be tons of fun without camping or trapping under the hook ! At least, until you reach high mmr I guess.

What can be discouraging about her is that her learning curve is pretty much an N. Your first games will be hard because you're just figuring out how to play her, then you will have the easiest time against players who have likely never faced her, and so without using any particularly thought-out strat.... and then you will suddenly get players who know how to loop and exactly how to counter her. And you will cry.

Right now, I'm in the beginning of that third phase, where my games are at a 50/50 of "players who can't handle me and I will 3-4K" or "very good coordinated team that stomps with 4 escape" (but honestly I'm lucky enough to often face teams that are very good sports and don't tease me about my losses, so I don't really feel bad about them :D).

I recommend always having a couple of traps in your "inventory" when you're chasing, because if you have a trap setting speed add-on, you can either trap mid-chase, or if you don't, fake the trap to make them leave the loop and go somewhere you either already had traps in, or is less bothersome to you/allows you to pressure a nearby gen, or you can maybe catch up to them because they left the loop seeing you lean down before checking if you were actually placing a trap down.

Any perk that makes you instadown is also very good, because lots of people are running Circle of Healing and if you're playing hit-and-run that hurts really bad. I've been running Haunted Grounds and Make Your Choice, which is very common on Hag but is quite efficient.

Anyway.

I love that killer and I wish so hard I could face her more often now that her music was updated ! :D