Should killers tunnel out the first survivor in 4 man sfw matches ?

I've been playing with Freddy recently and the last 6 matches I had full 4 man sfw. 3 times all escaped , two times I got 1k and one time I got 2k. Now I am thinking about the strat that many use and even recommend , which is to make the match 1v3 as soon as possible and then play as usual.

Is this strat used by many , is it recommended , are there alternatives ? I am matched against much older players with prestige over 20 while I am only 3 . I am thinking about abandoning the whole self deprecating sportmanship and give myself a bit more leverage against highly coordinated teams.

Opinions from other killer mains ?

Comments

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,471

Depends on the map and group youre going against

• Olokun
    Olokun Member Posts: 266

depends on what you want ... sweat or chill , i tried both few months ago i wanted to sweat so i tunneled a lot and got my mmr at high level like you seems to be atm , now i tend to do more chill games at lower mmr and take my time to kill them ( depends on survivors i face, if they want to play i try to give them harder games and if i see some potatoes i try to be smarter)

• FreddyVoorhees
    FreddyVoorhees Member Posts: 369

So I should just aim at 1k = good enough ? I kinda feel like this too . If I get at least one person down I can say they did not full win. But getting mmr even higher might not be what I want .Maybe loosing a lot might pay off soon enough . Though if I reach 1 gen left with all of them alive I guess a bit of tunnel will not hurt.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

Same as I_am_Negan, I personally play very fair and my mmr stays at a place I'm happy with, where i rarely get full coordinated teams and when I do, they're generally pretty chill and nice in postgame chat.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,212

It might work, but you won't necessarily improve that way. The reasons for the losses likely amount to a lot more than a lack of tunneling. I would focus less on the SWF aspect and more on your mechanics/game sense. Identify a couple things that went wrong and correct them. SWF won't change your tile mechanics or power utilization.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Obviously if you have the choice between hooking someone you've already hooked and someone you haven't you should hook the person who's closer to dying.

However like various people said above if you focus too much on a single target you're just letting the other three survivors do gens freely. So you do need to be able to juggle the survivors initially to keep them all busy healing each other and being chased rather than doing the gens in order to have time to secure your downs and carries to hooks. Also the beginning of the match is when you hopefully are able to remove pallets in the main section of the map you're aiming to defend later on, so you do have that as an important goal initially as well. Which means ultimately you shouldn't be as concerned at hard chasing one target early on as you should taking your best targets of opportunity, landing hits and downs if possible, and also when you can't get a hit forcing the pallet drops to weaken tiles. Once you've got some injuries and someone on a hook developed then you can maintain that pressure and, as opportunity presents itself, target one or two survivors for elimination.

• FreddyVoorhees
    FreddyVoorhees Member Posts: 369

Perhaps a better strategy would be to hook a person and then go after the one who abandoned the gen to save ? That way the hooked person is progressing towards stage 2 , the savior is being chased and maybe downed while the remaining two survivors need to decide whether to abandon gens and save/heal the hooked one.

Or the other way around , hook a survivor and then leave it to be saved by the second while chasing the remaining two off gens. The first two will waste time healing and if they don't , they will be easier to down.

I think this might work even better but the biggest issue in my gameplay is that coordinated survivors are glued to the gens at every possible opportunity.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,201
    edited October 2022

Depends what you're trying to get out of a game.

Bloodpoints? A challenge or daily ritual? Pips for your rank? Or do you want to 'win'?

You can usually accomplish all of those things without a 4K, unless you specifically count a 4K as a 'win'.

When I'm feeling generous, which to be fair is most of the time, I can let everyone escape and still get 35K+ BP and maybe complete a challenge or daily ritual. That's enough of a win for most of my games, and can sometimes orchestrate it so that the game progresses at an even pace and the survivors legitimately get the exits open as I get my 8 hooks. I balance it out with a few games where the survivors just aren't good enough to get the gens done, so I have to kill them all, or three and a hatch, to get the match over with.

I'd rather get 8 hooks and 1 or even 0 kills, than get a 3/4K with less than 8 hooks.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Do what ever is necessary in the moment.

• Stroggz
    Stroggz Member Posts: 498

Play the way you want. Sometimes its worth it, sometimes its not.

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,439

The others are right in that you will just be hurting yourself tunneling someone out at 5 gens. Once your mmr is high enough, freddy simply lacks the ability to keep up with good survivor's. You'll find yourself wondering how they got all the gens done before the person you are tunneling is even dead.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,059

While I agree 100% about sweating being a bad idea because you're just going to get less enjoyable games and worse results, tunneling a player is often extremely useful against SWF because the players are more often than not going to try and save each other. It's a fantastic way to get players throwing themselves at you for free, because in a SWF, the players actually care about each other and are outraged that one of their members is being singled out.

While some teams are going to tell each other to do gens, you can't discount altruism in a team setting and how much it plays into the killer's hands. It's entirely the reason camping is as effective as it is and it's a fair portion of why tunneling works so well, too. When tunneling fails - from what I've observed, it's usually when the player being targeted is extremely good at evading the killer, and that's way more important than if the other survivors were making good use of their time.

Split pressure only works if the survivors don't have a good way of healing themselves - between medkits, CoH, and common healing perks like Botany, smacking a bunch of different people at the start is rarely effective compared to securing a down and then going for a chase on an already injured person. A 3v1 tips the balance of whether or not killers can keep up with generator progress and I find it difficult to accept that it's not empirically the most effective way to win.

I care more about having a good time than a 4k, but from where I'm standing, the pressing incentive to remove a survivor ASAP always looked like a pretty core flaw in game design. Is there any kind of documented data on tunneling and kill rates?

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

If it is a blatant SWF, I do not see the harm in tunneling one of them out. If the scenario happens that Peanits described, the game will be over very fast and you will likely draw. Or it works and you win. Personally? Hard to see the downside for me.

Not only that, but playing for end game is a skill and a lot of killers lack it. I watch a lot of content creators and you can tell when they are forced into those situations they crumble as they do not know what to do. So I also disagree with the people who are like, "get better, man." You get better by practicing and ignoring the strategy just because survivors get salty is not going to make you better.

Just saying, a lot of SWF think they are cute until you give me a couple minutes with them. I prefer playing against them because I do not feel bad about taking the gloves off.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    edited October 2022

Its kinda of weird seeing a sanctioned response both acknowledging the efficiency cap dilemma and suggesting a killer to sandbag themselves in order to not get put into higher MMR (and thus avoid more limiting playstyles.) Those are both issues that can and should be addressed by the balance team, and yet the time-to-first-kill is even more important than it was before the meta shakeup and a similar acknowledgement.

Edit: To add to what he was saying, though, strategies like tunneling require high efficiency to offset the factors that were mentioned. If you try to tunnel a bad player you will secure the 1v3 before too much damage has been done, but if you make the wrong choice then it loses you the game as posited.

• Brix
    Brix Member Posts: 128

Honestly i try to set myself goals when going into matches. The Kills at the end would be the cherry on top basically. I still would punish ppl farming each other on hook when i am not even 10 meters away, otherwise i dont really see the reason to go this hard.

You can obviously play that way but do you improve that way?

Do you enjoy playing that way?

Since at the end of the day we all play Videogames to have fun and wanting to be a bit better at it overtime.

Either way hope you enjoy the Event and having fun despite the difficulty you might have in your games!

• Quizzy
    Quizzy Member Posts: 862

Play as you want. I play no mither daily so im usually tunneled anyways. But i want that. I want to be chased with NM because its tense and fun for my playstyle. Sometimes i dont last, but there are times i give long chases and hope my team can finish gens. So if you do resort to tunnelling, personally i wouldnt mind as a survivor. Just make sure ur having fun at the end of the day

• Ryuhi

This is why I honestly miss emblems being a core factor in matchmaking (through ranks at the time) as they made it much easier to "create your own win condition" and allowed for more varied playstyles (and even discouraged the "too efficient" ones.) Having matchmaking tied to an outcome biased factor just flat out disincentivizes any play that isn't focused squarely on being as efficient toward completing your overall objective as fast as possible, which was led to so much controversy around the infamous hockey comparison. When you think about it, even survivors were incentivized away from rushing gens and would need to at least interact with the killer in order to secure pips, while the killer was incentivized to prioritize hooks over kills.

It was far from a perfect system, but I still feel like the introduction of MMR (and its relevancy to metrics) destroyed a lot of that self-curation the community had fostered.

• mischiefmanaged
    mischiefmanaged Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 374

It seems this question comes more from a place of trying to learn rather than making a statement, so the answer to your question is "it depends" and it's hard to know the answer to that when you're new.

I think the first thing I'd suggest is to just not really worry about SWF vs solos. A 4-man of solos can absolutely wreck a killer and a 4-man SWF can all be a bunch of friends who just play the game because it's a fun horror experience. The difference between SWF and solo is really only a factor at a competitive level that it's highly likely you aren't experiencing. You might think, "Well they're body blocking and taking over each other's generators." I've done that in solo queue and so have others. While I'm playing, I'm paying attention to both the killer and my solo queue teammates to try and understand what I'm supposed to do. Better survivors don't only watch the killer but also watch their own teammates. This is obviously easier if you play with a friend (your friend saying I'm near shack is a lot easier than keeping vision and observing the same thing happen), but this forum overstates the difference between solo queue and SWF for most players.

Now none of that was really helpful for actually playing.

The general thing you're looking for as a killer player is to create pressure. Give the survivors a reason not to do their objective. The easiest way to do this is to down survivors so being strong at chase is a good way of doing this. Tunneling is also a good way of doing this because there's now fewer people to do the job of 4 people, but tunneling can make chases take longer which leaves 3 survivors unimpeded. Other ways of creating pressure are zoning an area (protecting a 3 gen, camping, etc) and slugging so a teammate has to go heal the slugged survivor.

Using one method that generates pressure doesn't really work usually. You usually have to combine them to generate enough pressure that survivors can't do anything else.

Now if a person unhooks right in front of you and the person who was unhooked runs to a dead zone and will go down in 10 seconds, then take the free down?

This also all depends on what you want to do. If you just want fun chases and to practice, playing this way can be detrimental because, while you're more likely to win, you're also more likely to play against tougher players who will be stronger in chase and more efficient at objectives. It's sometimes better to throw the game in a macro sense just to improve at the micro so that your games can be more fun in the long run. Sure, it might be a good macro idea to camp the first downed survivor in the middle of the 3 gen with Bubba, but that gets boring after awhile and you'll eventually play against players who will never go down.

• Odawg241
    Odawg241 Member Posts: 65
    edited October 2022

If you're going for a win yeah, don't let people tell you how you're supposed to play. SWF is already a massive advantage, I think it's only fair to tunnel, especially if you're playing a weaker killer

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,717

The question about tunneling is how much time does it take. If you get to a generator and there are two survivors on it, one with 2 hooks, one with none, going after the one with 2 hooks (presuming they are equal loopers) is the "right" play. If the survivors on the other hand are using this time to break a three gen, spread out the map, trade hits, etc. it's not going to be effective.

Removing a survivor is a big advantage. It doesn't mean it is the only thing that you have to consider.

• xni6_
    xni6_ Member Posts: 505

you cant focus 1 person out bc a smart 4man will then leave that 1 person on the hook until the last second so instead of being able to get a hook state every hopefully 30 seconds, its now every 80-90 seconds, so all the gens are done before this person dies

now if you go for only 2 survivors, thats a lot harder to defend, and also takes more time to realise whats happening from survivor end. a smart swf will know how to counterplay and how to abuse it (personally im not good enough at survivor to know how), and youll quickly lose

so a good smart 4man swf has 0 counter, and you will lose unless youre nurse with range and recharge or mother daugher spirit since they just brute force downs (tbh tho im starting to think mother daughter spirit is stronger than nurse tho simply due to the fact that noone knows how to vs that compared to every person and their grandma knowing nurse counterplay) or they make a misplay so horribly bad that you get multiple hook states per gen, but a slightly worse than that swf you may be able to focus 2 out until you have one dead, and an even worse swf tunneling one out might work, not because its effective but bc theyre bad

its also map dependent. you have 0 chance if you get eyrie, garden, gideons, suffo pit, azarovs, shelter woods (w key gaming), cowshed, basically anything other than coal tower or wreckers yard, and even they will be insanely difficult that youll likely only get 1 or 2

also run full meta, you wont stand a chance without 3-4 slowdown

• Rise432
    Rise432 Member Posts: 162
    edited October 2022

"I've been playing with Freddy recently"

Well uh, if u decide to play one of the weakest killers in the game then you will probably have a rough time even against trios and probably even duos, unless you have very good game sense, mechanics, make good plays back to back etc.

Tunneling to make the game a 1v3 early is not the worst idea, but it can easily backfire if:

the survivor u try to tunnel is a decent looper

if the SWF u face are efficent on gens

if the survivor u chase is not a good looper but know how to path pallet to pallet while their team tank hits for them.

We also need to take in the factor of:

your loadout

their loadout

your playstyle

their playstyle

the map

and so on, cause not every match is the same

• Ryuhi

I somewhat disagree, since most games have their efficiency be focused more on being intuitive and less on abusing as many advantages as possible. I know its a difficult beast to balance in an asymmetrical system, but the higher you climb the more the game becomes about stacking as many odds in your favor as you can, which means that it creates a very distinct natural growth cap. While I agree that they are separate aims to play casually vs trying to climb, the natural state of climbing while ignoring what makes the top in fact "the top" causes a very harsh unknown in terms of what to expect from any given match, and very little time or ability to adjust to the game around you. Its a big part of why the first few minutes of any given match set so much of the pace of the rest of the match, as well as why its that much harder to play reactive to the quality or strategies of your opponent, especially as the results are extremely outcome biased toward kills and escapes.

Its a race that blatantly favors sprinting far more than stamina. People can go into that knowingly conserving energy at the start, but they are actively decreasing their chances of success (or even competition) if they choose to ignore such a stipulation. The two don't necessarily have to be at odds with one another, just separate philosophies and prioritization.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

This is actually the thing that galls me the most about the MMR system: you get punished for playing consistently good. I nearly always let the last survivor go, sometimes even two, just as not to inflate my MMR too much. Really, a killer that is afraid to kill.

I have been in the high sweat heavens for long enough to know that "sweating it like you are playing in the DBD world championship finals, but this is only a random Tuesday match" everyday, all-day gets old very fast.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756

I know I said it before that it should be switched back to how the old rank system was, but knowing that's never going to happen I just play fair. That way I know the MMR won't get high and I can still enjoy my killer games.

The way MMR is never made any sense it's like 2 people at a job working all day the one gets the job done while the other sits around and does nothing.

The one that sits around is reward and moves up and the other one that works gets nothing.

Or better yet standing at the corner all day looking for handouts is more rewarding then getting a job and making a earning.

It's mind blowing

• mischiefmanaged

I guess I don't really understand this idea. "You get punished for playing consistently good." I'm going to assume the punishment is you play against better players and have more difficult matches which means you lose more. But, what would the alternative be? Should there just be no matchmaking at all? This seems like it would get ridiculously boring after awhile. If I get good at a killer, why would I want to keep playing against the same "installed the game yesterday" survivors?

It's a PvP game. At some point, one side is going to have to lose the game. It's really a choice whether or not the only goal is winning. I've definitely thrown games before because I could have taken a strategically good decision to protect a specific area, secure a kill, and then win the game, but I just kind of enjoyed playing against the players and chasing them and it was a random Tuesday match so I didn't care. I'll "lose" those games but it's a choice I made to play the way I wanted to have fun. If the only way you have fun playing the game is to win, you're going to get disappointed since, again, it's a PvP game and you can't always win.

There's already a ton of builtin imprecision to the matchmaking. While you can have a specific MMR, the range goes pretty wide pretty quickly specifically to make it more likely that your matches will be more pseudo-random when it comes to skill levels.

But yea if you choose to play in a way where you're always treating it as the world championship finals it's not really surprising the game will try to find you matches where that feels like it's always true. You've been playing that way.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

You are not wrong, but it seems that DBD has sort of a identity crisis. On one hand its a casual party game fun, but on the other hand it got competitive DNA baked into its code and people have started to take it way too serious.

Yes, it is a PVP game, but it's MMR system is faulty and either not granular enough or way to broad.

For example both Overwatch and Leage of Legends have a ranked ladder system with Bronze, Silver, Gold and Grandmaster ranks etc. and if you win you will eventually rank up, but if you win a couple of games in a row you aren't suddenly thrown into grandmaster matches and after losing 3 bounce back to silver or something, yet DBD is that volatile.

If you are good at a game you shouldn't dread winning, but just win and reap the benefit, yet at DBD this is somewhat the case.

And DBD is asymmetric, not just in its gameplay loop, but also in the stress level. A high level game of dbd can be cool and exhilarating as the survivor, while still interspersed with moments of calm when you do a gen or even hang from a hook, but as a killer it's nonstop high octane stress with never a slow moment.

When I started out DBD I had a phase were I sweated a lot and gave every match my most and I quick rose up in MMR. But eventually every single game I got was so sweaty as if someone's life dependended on it, ie every game felt like it was the championship finals, even if it was just a random game.

At a fundamental level it feels wrong that I, as the killer, wouldn't want to kill everyone, because I don't want to sweat so hard. So even when I stomp I am somewhat inclined to let one or two survivors go. This sounds pretty schizophrenic to me, but I am interested in your pov.

• ARTRA
    ARTRA Member Posts: 938

Want to win? Yes 3 people are easy to beat than 4.

Want to have fun? No, play as you like.

• mischiefmanaged

I think this is more related to how MMR systems work than some kind of identity crisis in DBD.

One thing to remember is, if you are new, playing against better players will FEEL like you're playing against the best players in the world. Since we don't have an objective number like Overwatch to see what our opponents actually are, we'll try to latch onto things like playtime or prestige level which can be correlated but the causation is just not there.

I've been in plenty of lobbies where there's a prestige 50+ person who just plays average at my level. Sometimes they're a bit more aware and things that work on someone who just started learning to loop don't work on them, but I never really see a causal correlation between things like playtime and prestige level other than "they didn't just start the game yesterday".

This goes to a component of MMR. People think of MMR as one number but it's actually two and the second one is probably the one affecting the new player experience much more. There's your skill rating AND the confidence level. When MMR systems start out the confidence level is very high. So if you have a skill rating of 1000 and the confidence is at 500, the game will think you're anywhere between 500 and 1500 while it's still trying to place you. So the new player experience could result in some games being against people who are both out of your league because the MMR suspects they are and because you're new, using an Overwatch comparison, telling the difference between a gold and platinum player doesn't feel any different.

It's also not as obvious in this game what's a good play and what's not. In a symmetrical shooter game, it's pretty simple. You get more kills than the opponent and you're "better". It feels like you're losing when you're losing. Because this game is asymmetrical and one side is designed to always win in a 1v1, a lot of good survivor gameplay is both the micro (the chase) and a lot of macro (where to chase, keeping away from teammates, doing the proper generators, knowing when to commit and when to pre-run, map knowledge). For a new player, a chase that ends in 30 seconds feels the same. It feels like you're winning. For an experienced survivor, where that 30 second chase happens matters. If I take the killer to a ######### pallet in the corner of the map away from my teammates at the beginning of the match and loop it for 30 seconds, that's a lot more valuable than a 2 minute long chase that disrupts all of my teammates from doing generators and hooks me in the middle of a prominent 3 gen and uses 5 pallets in the center of the map. But the first one feels like I won more quickly and the second felt like I was losing.

I think the asymmetrical part makes that harder for new killers to realize that because a lot of what they're missing is macro play that's never taught in the tutorial. In fact, most of the meta play in this game is just not present in the tutorial. And it can often feel like you're doing well and then losing the game while you're still getting the hang of chasing one person let alone pressuring 4. I'm not sure how you'd solve this problem to make the new player experience better, but I'm not sure the MMR system is the one at fault. I think optional "advanced" tutorials that explain tiles, pallet safety, looking behind you, and red light mindgames would probably go further towards helping the new player experience. I've never really seen a game in this decade that has a meta and is balanced around a meta and yet never mentions that meta anywhere.