Killers should not be able to see gens

Options
SEREFKI
SEREFKI Member Posts: 1
edited October 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

Im mostly talking as a survivor solo q player but at the end, DBD is a tic tac toe game where survivors are filling spaces somewhat blind.

a killer can choose 3 close gens from start and guard them, with that he ensures control over the game.

the killer can start the game normally but always paying attention to their desired gens, once 3-4 gens are done, he can closely guard the other 3 gens and hook survivors in the close area.

my proposal is so killers should not be able to see gens from the start of the game but unlock this ability once the killer hooks survivors 3 or 4 times.

this ensures the killer cant chose what gens to guard and make it a little fair for solo q players.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140
    Options

This would greatly hinder Hag's main strength, but it's something I've thought sometimes as well. Not only survivors are weaker but they're also going in completely blind base kit.

There is a perk that removes the killer's aura reading (Residual Manifest), but that requires you to land a flashlight blind and it only lasts 30 seconds, so it generally won't be useful once your chase is over.

I'd love it if it was for a longer duration.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638
    Options

Yup. Pretty much the same thing.

I would almost say "Implement both and see what happens", except the answer would be "SWFs can still call out their hook locations".

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,435
    Options

Do you realize how many people would hit second stage or flat out die if that was implemented? I doubt the game would even be playable.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,952
    edited October 2022
    Options

"Survivor's shouldn't see the aura of other downed Survivor's ". See? Ridiculous claims and demands work in both ways. Maybe we should leave the absolute fundamentals of our game intact and look elsewhere for radical changes.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233
    Options

A 3 gen does nothing if you're good survivors, base regression is 4x slower and even maxing regression perks survivors are still faster so the killer loses the battle in the end.

And removing gen auras will just make alot more players camp and tunnel because they dont know the location of where people will be.

Solo Q is fine, you dont need to nerf killers all we need is better matchmaking and less entitled players quitting and giving up... there are people who give up verse legion... LEGION..

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638
    Options

Do you realize how many people would blast gens or flat our power gates before the first down if that was implemented? I doubt the game would even be playable.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,097
    Options

95%+ of this playerbase would not be able to manage all that. Haha. Now, a hardcore is something I've brought up before- no aura reading, visual/audio cues, or terror radius. Limited perks. That might be fun- especially if there were cool incentives to play it.

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,435
    Options
  • Gandor
    Gandor Member Posts: 4,244
    Options

I understand OP's frustration about 3gens especially with 4 gen-kicking regression perks and playing around 3gen at the beginning of the game. Especially for less experienced players that can't hit OC skillcheck this can feel just awful, because killer is able to defend 3gen indefinitely. So I understand that one of a solution to this would be to not show gen auras to killer - meaning he can't protect something from the very beginning if he does not know where it is.

However this is not a good fix for the situation. Killers need to know about gen auras to actually patrol generators (most heathy gameplay killer can realistically do). If devs ever decide that this mechanics is unfair (personally I doubt they would - as this provides additional challenge that can be healthy for the game and more experienced players are able to eventually win - because killer can't perfectly protect all 3 gens indefinitely), then some other solution would be in place (e.g. make it so that minimal effective distance between gens is always at least X meters more then what we currently have or nerfing some strong regression perks for some other killer mechanics)

• AssortedSorting
    AssortedSorting Member Posts: 970
    edited October 2022
    Options

I'd like to see non-persistent aura methods of indicating generator locations to Killers (as well as Hooked Survivors for Survivors) simply due to screen clutter, but honestly it's something that's kinda needed for the general audience. It promotes the Killer roaming the map and interacting with Survivors. (And in the same line of logic, this is why Gen auras are hidden for Survivors)

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    Options

The killer needs the strategic advantage for the simple reason he is one against many.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108
    Options

Killers no longer get to see gens, in return, survivors can't start repairing gens solo without losing a health state

• BigDaddyPhilSwift
    BigDaddyPhilSwift Member Posts: 19
    Options

i think the game’s pretty okay as it is rn, especially since i played extensively in 2018 and 2019.

some killers need reworks, add-on changes, or map changes implemented to make them either stronger or weaker. the base of the game is pretty okay as it is currently, and i think that bhvr eliminated most things that were completely busted.

the killer could easily lose like 2-3 gens at the start of the game if they couldn’t see generator auras, and it’s already difficult to instantly find generators as survivor on some new/reworked maps.

i’m a survivor main, but i couldn’t imagine learning a fresh indoor map in first person while not being able to see gen auras.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,195
    Options
  • Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,075
    Options

Why shouldn't the killer be able to pick the gens they want to defend? It's a valid tactic.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

Absolutely not, knowing where the gens are is super critical from a strategic standpoint as killer, especially in the early game. This would just gut killers across the board, even experienced ones.

Now that said, I do think the survivor perk Residual Manifest could stand to either have its duration lengthened or to add in the additional effect of hiding scratches. Making the killer Blind is potentially a decent survivor perk effect but in practice Residual Manifest doesn’t last quite long enough to do much. The best case for it might be a flashbang trapped generator blinding a killer who kicks it between chases and the lack of auras makes it a bit harder for them to get into a new chase quickly. Blinding at a pallet isn’t quite as good since the killer already knows you’re there and can hear you and see the scratches or blood when the blindness wears off so can just keep chasing you and by the time that ends the 30 second duration is over anyway.

So personally I say definitely No to hiding gen auras as base kit but I’m ok with Blindness being something survivors can actively inflict with Residual Manifest.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233
    Options

What's wrong with solo Q if you ignore DCs, rage quits, bad teammates (dont do gens or cant loop) and more people farming tome challenges?

I honestly cant think of an issue besides those and none of those are solo Q issue but other game issues that need to be addressed separately imo

• brewingtea
    brewingtea Member Posts: 208
    Options

>trying to protect that 3 gen is still work

So much so that you can only accomplish it 65% of the time!

• brewingtea
    brewingtea Member Posts: 208
    Options

>What's wrong with solo Q

You are ADORABLE

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,541
    Options

Yes... Solo queue is bad right now but taking away Gen auras would only make it worse...

Survivors have perks and Items to see Gens... but it's on the Survivors to use it

Also doing that might make Call Of Brine, Surveillance and Eruption must haves... oh and Corrupt and Deadlock (Any perk that has Gen auras)

And people complain about those perks (maybe less so with Corrupt and Surveillance) so why would BHVR do it

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,455
    Options

Make a new perk:

Boon: Let me work

Blocks the killer's ability to see a gen after being repaired after 25% progress is made but ends when there's 15% left to go. Blocks the aura readings of gens as well.

Wouldn't prevent a three-gen, which is a legit strat for good killers, and hurts Tinkerer.

• Crowman
    Options

I made a suggestion around the time Residual Manifest was release saying the blind duration should be buffed and suggested 60 seconds. I was meet with a bunch of people claiming that it would be too strong if it did that.

The blindness effect kicks in immediately when the killer is blinded so you already lose out on seconds due to the fact their screen is blocked anyways. Then in most situations where you blind the killer that 30 seconds will wear off before they down someone so it can't be used to block hook auras either. The only situation where I've seen Residual Manifest do anything is this one match vs a Scratched Mirror Myers on RPD.

I think I also mentioned how it doesn't block scratched marks so it's not even useful at pallets as a way to help sneak away either. I wouldn't mind if blindness blocked seeing scratch marks as well since that would also make blindness affect Fixated and Inner Focus. Atm though as fun as Residual Manifest is, unless you encounter a scratch mirror myers or all seeing wraith, it really doesn't do anything and blinding the killer is such an interesting anti-aura reading tool that I wish it was a bit more useful overall.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,613
    Options

I’ll admit I was wrong about that perk. I thought initially it’d be a problem even at 30 seconds but it isn’t. If anything though I wish it didn’t take 20 seconds to get your flashlight (10 to open the chest and another 10 to rummage), I’d love if that was a bit faster.

• Crowman
    Options

I wish pharmacy didn't get nerfed to lose the searching speed unless injured. Though they can still combo together.

Really the flashlight part is just an extra thing so you can actually use the perk if you don't bring in a flashlight.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

Yeah, I disagree with anybody that thinks the 30 seconds is long enough. As a killer I've been hit once or twice with Residual Manifest and barely noticed. (I may even have been hit a few times and not noticed at all in fact, I don't pay too close attention to those little condition icons and without that unless I was actively watching the gen auras for some reason I might not even realize it happened if I was mid-chase at the time.)

• not_requested49
    not_requested49 Member Posts: 1,979
    Options

You'd think the sub would be up in arms about third seal and other blindness perks then..

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,056
    Options

I feel Killers seeing the gens is a fairly fundamental aspect of the game's mechanics that it can't simply be removed.

Perks and powers aside, one of the most basic ways to find survivors is patrol generators.

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,056
    edited October 2022
    Options

I feel Killers seeing the gens is a fairly fundamental aspect of the game's mechanics that it can't simply be removed.

Perks and powers aside, one of the most basic ways to find survivors is patrol generators.

Removing the auras seems to serve no purpose than making things convenient for a one-time poster whose team isn't avoiding 3-gens.

I'm also surprised no one's mentioned Deja Vu as the simplest solution to that.

• AJStyIez
    AJStyIez Member Posts: 419
    edited October 2022
    Options

Survivors have Deja Vu and the benefit of spawning directly next to gens... Its also common that the gen they spawn next to is part of a 3-gen across the map from the Killer.

Survivors choose what gens they wanna attack first just like Killers choose what gens they wanna defend or patrol first... That is a basic gameplay concept that should never be changed (Unless you wanna add other game modes or completely revamp the entire game)

• JoaoVanBlizzard
    JoaoVanBlizzard Member Posts: 554
    Options

Yes, I also think that killers should not see the gens, especially if there were only 2 survs alive in the game, the game tends to favor survs when there are 4 alive, however, when there are only 2 it becomes impossible most of the time even playing, and the biggest reason is that just touch a gen and the killer is already in front of you because he knows where the gens are

Some killers like the Artist can be throwing crows at the gens just because they can see their aura, I find that disgusting

however, low mobility killers need this feature, they could classify this feature as killer base kit, some could see the aura of the gen from afar and others only up close, for the balance to be fairer

another idea I thought is that the killers could see the aura of the gens temporarily, after the time is up they can't but see it, and it could have a perk that allows you to see the aura of the gens always, like giving a buff to Tatica Zanchi from Oni adding this function for example

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,381
    Options

Killers seeing gens is not negotiable. It is absolutely necessary. The killer has one big weakness that survivors don't have. The killer's objective is consantly moving. That's why killers need at least some help from the game to localize survivors. Survivors can learn and remember where the gens are on a map. The killer on the other hand can't do that with survivors.

• BrightWolf
    BrightWolf Member Posts: 394
    Options

Oh god, that is the worst idea I've heard so far on these forums. Liek bro, it'd be completely unfair for new killer players, especially if they're coming into the game cold. Not to mention with all the gen repair-speed perks, coupled with swfs and a new or even a low mobility killer all five gens would pop in 90 seconds without the survivors even seeing the killer. I'm sorry, but your suggestion is a bad, very bad idea.