We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

people are sleeping on pentimento

I don't care if you need a full build to make it 'work'. when it working reduces gens, slows healing, keeps survivors down longer, and slows down gate opening- it's worth the effort.

Seriously, slap on devour hope to FORCE them to get rid of a hex perk or die trying. That gen regression makes a difference. Now imagine being a death slinger and using plaything, they either get sniped before they know you're there or give you a stack of pentimento... per person who chooses not to be left vulnerable. The plaything will also make it harder to tell which hex is devour hope meaning it stays up longer and gives more value. What's that? Afraid of mikaela and circle of healing? BOOM: shattered hope. Now they're strength is YOUR strength. seriously, people think faster cooldown on successful hits is the end all be all, but then pentimento comes in with better everything else and it's suddenly bad because it can be removed. If survivors are going to remove it you just have to patrol a little bit more, or add thrill of the hunt to slow THAT down too. There's so many options to give you better value, yet everyone seems to think it's awful. heck, even just devour hope, undying, and retribution go well with it if you just want to have consistent slowdown. You get a second set of devour meaning more value, and you get a third use of your pentimento which you can keep in your back pocket if you lose the other totems and just place that as a small little "how about no?" while also seeing survivors after the hexes are removed meaning you have better awareness. It doesn't matter if they can get rid of it, there's ways around that. Heck, trapper has built in thrill of the hunt if you dedicate traps to the pentimento hexes with a built in warning system to prevent them from finishing. Which, guess what? means they would have to start ALL OVER if you prevent them from finishing. it may not work all the time, but when it does- it works like a charm.

Comments

• TheMetalOne
    TheMetalOne Member Posts: 20

I would never run a build that was all about hexes, but I do run plaything + pentimento on a few killers (usually with pain resonance and bamboozle). It's a good combo.

• AcelynnBen
    AcelynnBen Member Posts: 1,012

the only reason barely any killers use it, its because first u need to rely on survivors to cleanse a dull totem or hex

2 u need to walk to it (waste of time)

3 if u want full effect u need to pressure the game as hard as it can with a full hex build to get the best out of it

yes it would be good but if it was automatic, hell it would be broken af

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,271

Half those effects require getting 3+ rekindled totems.

Can pentimento be strong? sure, but actually keeping and maintaining more than 2 rekindled totems at a time is difficult and you're likely already in a winning situation if you can do so.

• WeaverReaver42
    WeaverReaver42 Member Posts: 211

the thing about not being automatic is you can essentially 'set levels' to it. You can choose to have it at max and put near everything to a stop, or you can do only one at a time for gen regression, redoing a pentimento whenver one is removed. This essentially allows for consistent slowdown all game. It takes a bit of time, but it's an investment to gain more time overall. short term cost for long term gain. Seriously, if you did the math on how much time it would take for survivors to do gens or even to get rid of the hex compared to the time it takes to go there and set it up, I think you'd be suprised at how much time is actually GAINED from setting up pentimento. In fact, I just had a game where they were rushing gens, went to almost a full stop when I started getting pentimento stacks.

• WeaverReaver42

hence the devour hope. If people don't cleanse devour hope you get a huge buff over the course of the game. Same with plaything, especially on deathslinger and huntress who can attack at range, as it puts them at a severe disadvantage when they don't realize your next to them. if people won't cleanse totems MAKE THEM REGRET IT. It's about putting yourself in a win win scenario.

• WeaverReaver42

honestly? I get that. but the first two effects are strong enough on their own. slowing healing and gen repair are huge in this game. it's why thana was so good and why gen regression and repair is talked about so much. the fact pentimento gives you a huge amount of both is insane. Especially since you get it in a scenario that would normally be a detriment (losing a hex that might have been useful) You don't NEED max stacks to get value. Just one or two really hinders survivors.

• WeaverReaver42

my last comment was actually supposed to go to you, my bad. but yeah, I would argue you don't need 3 or more pentimento stacks to get significant value out of it. The first two already put survivors way behind. Heck, you can even add thanataphobia for additional healing and repair slowdown. because both slow down healing, thana gets even more value as survivors have to waste time healing or repair gens abyssmally slow. that time spent healing is noteworthy when it can be the difference between you finishing a chase before a gen gets done or the exit gates opening in the middle of chasing a survivor. gen regression is huge in the game for a reason, and pentimento just requires ONE TOTEM to do that. every additional totem functionally acts as protection against losing that effect along with the other bonuses. people look at pentimento, see how hard it is to get max value, and forget that even the minimum of value is still pretty good with the right build.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,271

The minimum value is still not easy to keep up. The only way to force totem cleanses is with hexes, hexes when cleanse give noise notification to all survivors showing where it was. Not to mention some totems are not easy to get to.

Pentimento is a good perk, but there's a reason why killers aren't opting for it over other options. It's not a reliable way to slowdown the game compared to other options.

• Yippiekiyah
    Yippiekiyah Member Posts: 478

Its certainly strong if it stays up but it only really works in full hex builds, even then decent survivors can just remember where the totem was and go straight back.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

Sleeping? I see pentimento/plaything all the time

• DEMONANCE
    DEMONANCE Member Posts: 800

plaything + pentimento is one of the common killer builds, i wouldn't call that sleeping on it.

• killer_hugs
    killer_hugs Member Posts: 28

pentimento is amazing against teams you likely would have won against anyway. that's the problem with it. not good against good teams, great against bad teams.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,210
    edited November 2022

Pentimento builds work best on teleport killers (like Freddy and Onryo) or overall killers with (very) fast movement speed (Nurse, Blight, Billy, Oni, Wraith). Tried to make it work with Huntress, not gonna happen against good survivors as just walking to the other side of the map to set a Pentimento takes too long.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

I think people are afraid of full hex builds cause they can end up with no perks and seem to think that when that happens the game instantly ends for them.

More often then not unless you got heavilly outplayed a full hex build will have taken up so much of their time to get rid off they you can mop up even without perks easilly

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,690

It's not a rare perk at all. You are just being unlucky.

• SpaghettiYOLO
    SpaghettiYOLO Member Posts: 234

I only ignite a totem if all totems haven't been cleansed yet if I'm down to one or two gens and the survivors are maintaining good pressure. Most of the time, I only get value out of the first two stacks.

But some games, you can just tell all 5 are going to be cleansed. I will wait it out if it looks like all 5 will be cleansed. Gotten it quite a few times.

• Tranquil_Blue
    Tranquil_Blue Member Posts: 335
    edited November 2022

Edit: I guess I was mistaken about this...Whoops. In my head, I was picturing that there was only an audio notification.

One correction: All survivors can HEAR that a hex totem was cleansed somewhere, but they don't get a visual indicator of where it was. For Solo Queue players in particular, this can make things extra challenging. If the survivor who cleansed the first totem isn't able to cleanse the rekindled totem as well, the other survivors have to scramble to find it.

• Tranquil_Blue
    Tranquil_Blue Member Posts: 335

I stand corrected. I will try to use my eyes better...